A sudden thought I just had on religion

Exceptional forum threads deemed worthy of locking and keeping in a separate place.
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 5576
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Paste Human » 29 Apr 2013, 16:55

I was listening to Ghost just now (they have one song I like - expect flowers in the mail jorsh) and it occurred to me that Satanism definitely doesn't work without what we'll call "religion" for now, but the opposite probably isn't true on a widespread basis. At the very least I can't imagine how it ever would be.



The whole Atheist vs. Satanist vs. Christian vs. Muslim vs. whatever vega worships debate has never struck me as interesting, but this alcohol fueled revelation made me do a double take.
Image
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45277
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Abzu » 29 Apr 2013, 17:06

I can tell there is elkhole involved in this post.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.


;,,;
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 5576
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Paste Human » 29 Apr 2013, 17:10

I'm already prepared to respond to what I'm guessing will be the first counterargument, so you're probably right in noticing that :redneck:
Image
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45277
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Abzu » 29 Apr 2013, 18:52

Satanism would work as well as it does now; it just wouldn't be called Satanism.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.


;,,;
User avatar
shadowalk
Metal God
Posts: 11012
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:16
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby shadowalk » 29 Apr 2013, 19:57

from what i know about satanists (the laveyan kind anyway), they're basically atheists who just glorify everything that feels good, especially the dirty stuff...correct me if i'm wrong, the thought of googling right now gives me sard
User avatar
Holocaust
Metal God
Posts: 10699
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 07:03
Location: Your mom

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Holocaust » 29 Apr 2013, 20:03

Hedonism with witchcraft :alien:
Image
User avatar
shadowalk
Metal God
Posts: 11012
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:16
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby shadowalk » 29 Apr 2013, 20:20

something like that
User avatar
Hitoshura
Metal God
Posts: 18857
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Hitoshura » 29 Apr 2013, 23:21

it's been a long time since i've read or thought about it, but the lavey flavor of satanism (the one outlined in the satanic bible you can buy at any big-box bookstore for $8) is pretty much individualism with a focus on hedonism. as opposed to the randian focus on money worship



there are plenty of smaller, more esoteric varieties that i assume have no relation to lavey, but i ain't know shit about them. jon nodtveidt was heavily into one of those during his later days, i'm pretty sure
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45277
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Abzu » 30 Apr 2013, 00:31

I know me some about those silly non-Atheist Satanists. It's a lot of silliness.



I'm assuming he means LaVeyans, though, because otherwise he'd be saying Religious Satanism wouldn't exist without religion, which is just... Captain Obvious would face palm on that shit.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.


;,,;
User avatar
Hitoshura
Metal God
Posts: 18857
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Hitoshura » 30 Apr 2013, 00:39

:redneck:



really though you could do a whole lot worse, as far as drunken posts go
User avatar
Holocaust
Metal God
Posts: 10699
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 07:03
Location: Your mom

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Holocaust » 30 Apr 2013, 06:16

I read somewhere that half of the members of LaVey's church are under 18 :redneck:









But Rand didn't worship money :huh:
Image
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 5576
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Paste Human » 30 Apr 2013, 09:51

The original post could have been more coherent, but I stand by it. To clarify and probably raise additional issues: I don't have a problem with most religion I've encountered because its function as social glue and (where needed) order is pretty obvious. Some people exploit it at the expense of others, but since the same could be said about so many other institutions it seems rather strange to single out religion (I'm looking in your direction Bill Maher).



It's a fact of life I accept that happens to not be for me. Some people get mileage out of it but I'm not one of them.



That being said, Satanism just seems childish and unnecessary. As mentioned earlier, something like Christianity would do fine without ever mentioning Satan - not to say it wouldn't be a bit less effective - but any form of Satanism simply doesn't work without its counterpart. Whether you agree with religion or not, it doesn't take much brainpower to determine which side has more going for it than the other.



So that's what was on my mind for a brief period last night :santa:
Image
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45277
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Abzu » 30 Apr 2013, 16:56

[quote name="Paste Human"]The original post could have been more coherent, but I stand by it. To clarify and probably raise additional issues: I don't have a problem with most religion I've encountered because its function as social glue and (where needed) order is pretty obvious. Some people exploit it at the expense of others, but since the same could be said about so many other institutions it seems rather strange to single out religion (I'm looking in your direction Bill Maher).[/quote]

Except Bill Maher doesn't only talk about religion. :huh: He's called out numerous institutions for bullshit. It's kind of what he does.



[quote name="Paste Human"]That being said, Satanism just seems childish and unnecessary. As mentioned earlier, something like Christianity would do fine without ever mentioning Satan - not to say it wouldn't be a bit less effective - but any form of Satanism simply doesn't work without its counterpart. Whether you agree with religion or not, it doesn't take much brainpower to determine which side has more going for it than the other.[/quote]

The only piece of LaVeyan Satanism that wouldn't remain/exist without religion is the name. If you're actually going to try to assert that the philosophy wouldn't exist without Christianity, I'm going to go get some popcorn first. Religious Satanism wouldn't work without its counterpart? No, of course not. Without Christianity, it would exist as some other counterculture religion in contrast to the remaining religions. As a social glue, it's done a fair bit of that itself. Anything will work in that manner. If religion didn't exist, people would pack up and congregate over something else. That aspect is much less to do with the facilitator and more to do with people's natural inclinations.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.


;,,;
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 5576
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Paste Human » 30 Apr 2013, 17:26

I'll assume your point about Bill Maher is true, but I'll continue to despise him for his delivery :redneck:



The rest is a semantic argument I don't really want to get in to. I have a hard time believing something like satanism as I understand it would ever exist without Christianity (I figured a Paganist argument would ensue).



I don't have a good answer for the social glue talk. Satanism strikes me as deliberately anti-social, so I have trouble thinking of it as a legitimate religion. Maybe it binds people in the sense that a war would, but it's so self destructive that the absence of a decorated history is pretty self explanatory.
Image
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45277
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Abzu » 01 May 2013, 05:40

[quote name="Paste Human"]I'll assume your point about Bill Maher is true, but I'll continue to despise him for his delivery :redneck:



The rest is a semantic argument I don't really want to get in to. I have a hard time believing something like satanism as I understand it would ever exist without Christianity (I figured a Paganist argument would ensue).



I don't have a good answer for the social glue talk. Satanism strikes me as deliberately anti-social, so I have trouble thinking of it as a legitimate religion. Maybe it binds people in the sense that a war would, but it's so self destructive that the absence of a decorated history is pretty self explanatory.[/quote]

Again, what type are you referring to?
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.


;,,;
User avatar
Hugo.
Metal God
Posts: 15496
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:05
Location: Ireland

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Hugo. » 01 May 2013, 14:59

Satanism is retarded because it acknowledges the validity of Christianity. [/thread]
Image
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45277
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Abzu » 01 May 2013, 16:44

[quote name="Hugo."]Satanism is retarded because it acknowledges the validity of Christianity. [/thread][/quote]

Now see that's the ticket right there. :beer:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.


;,,;
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 5576
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Paste Human » 01 May 2013, 19:05

[quote name="Manji"]
[quote name="Paste Human"]I'll assume your point about Bill Maher is true, but I'll continue to despise him for his delivery :redneck:



The rest is a semantic argument I don't really want to get in to. I have a hard time believing something like satanism as I understand it would ever exist without Christianity (I figured a Paganist argument would ensue).



I don't have a good answer for the social glue talk. Satanism strikes me as deliberately anti-social, so I have trouble thinking of it as a legitimate religion. Maybe it binds people in the sense that a war would, but it's so self destructive that the absence of a decorated history is pretty self explanatory.[/quote]

Again, what type are you referring to?[/quote]



Are you familiar with a breakaway sect that has afternoon orgies while blasting Illud?



I didn't really have anything in particular in mind aside from some anecdotes. My whole point was that Satanism of any kind is goofy as fuck and doesn't get made fun of the way it probably should. But in retrospect this probably didn't justify the creation of an entire topic.
Image
User avatar
Holocaust
Metal God
Posts: 10699
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 07:03
Location: Your mom

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Holocaust » 01 May 2013, 19:26

Nope :grimsanta:



[quote name="Paste Human"]Satanism of any kind is goofy as fuck and doesn't get made fun of the way it probably should[/quote]

[quote name="Hugo."]Satanism is retarded because it acknowledges the validity of Christianity. [/thread][/quote]



the only two things worth saying in this thread
Image
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45277
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Abzu » 02 May 2013, 03:29

[quote name="Paste Human"]
[quote name="Manji"]
[quote name="Paste Human"]I'll assume your point about Bill Maher is true, but I'll continue to despise him for his delivery :redneck:



The rest is a semantic argument I don't really want to get in to. I have a hard time believing something like satanism as I understand it would ever exist without Christianity (I figured a Paganist argument would ensue).



I don't have a good answer for the social glue talk. Satanism strikes me as deliberately anti-social, so I have trouble thinking of it as a legitimate religion. Maybe it binds people in the sense that a war would, but it's so self destructive that the absence of a decorated history is pretty self explanatory.[/quote]

Again, what type are you referring to?[/quote]



Are you familiar with a breakaway sect that has afternoon orgies while blasting gleeso?



I didn't really have anything in particular in mind aside from some anecdotes. My whole point was that Satanism of any kind is goofy as fuck and doesn't get made fun of the way it probably should. But in retrospect this probably didn't justify the creation of an entire topic.[/quote]

"Breakaway sect"? No, there are two main types of Satanism: religious and atheistic. That's not too hard to gather. Religious Satanism tends to be overly social but insular, whereas Atheistic Satanism isn't necessarily anti-social but definitely full of allegedly-elitist posturing. How would some war-bonding come in to play? In what way is it self-destructive and how is it being a more recent thing have relevance to that? Finally, what, exactly, constitutes a "legitimate religion"?
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.


;,,;
User avatar
Verbal
Postwhore
Posts: 20873
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 03:05

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Verbal » 20 Jul 2013, 18:26

your face is a breakaway sect!
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 45277
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Abzu » 20 Jul 2013, 22:52

:rshot:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.


;,,;
User avatar
The Ultimate
Metal God
Posts: 8752
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 10:23

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby The Ultimate » 21 Jul 2013, 05:47

[quote name="Holocaust"]But Rand didn't worship money :huh:[/quote]



Do you always literally take on face value whatever someone says or do you act like a moron on a temporary basis from time to time?
User avatar
Holocaust
Metal God
Posts: 10699
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 07:03
Location: Your mom

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby Holocaust » 21 Jul 2013, 14:14

I jerk off to photos of your mom shitting on birds :fuckoff:
Image
User avatar
TamPron
Metal God
Posts: 16584
Joined: 24 Apr 2009, 00:50
Location: Rod Stewart
Contact:

Re: A sudden thought I just had on religion

Postby TamPron » 21 Jul 2013, 14:14

[quote name="Holocaust"]I jerk off to photos of your mom shitting on birds :fuckoff:[/quote]

:lol:
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

Image

Return to “Archive: The Win”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests