UK elections

Shoot the shit with other metal folk. Free discussion on any topic that doesn't suit the other forums. Avoid mentioning carpet.
Grudge
Metal God

UK elections

Post by Grudge »

My thoughts. Reasons why Jeremy Corbyn came out a winner:

1) He will now be taken seriously, because no body is laughing now. He is no longer "unelectable". He has shown himself to be a practical politician, an experienced leader who can well be a Prime Minister. A new confidence will drive Labour's attack on the Conservatives from the Left. Corbyn now has the advantage of having more "experience" in electoral campaigning, on what works and what doesn't. He has realized the importance of being charismatic, the importance of energizing the masses with personal appeal.

2) The favourable results will settle once and for all internal Labour party leadership disputes. Labour's grassroots will be even more dedicated. And the top echelon that previously was so treacherous, that had little confidence in him, will doubt him no longer. They will rally behind him next time instead of clipping his wings. The organization will work like a well-oiled machine. Next time, they will blow through the defenses of the Tories that are today buttressed with news and print media supremacy.

3) So much for Tony Blair's "you win from the center" philosophy. Corbyn's Leftist platform did better than Miliband's centrist platform. Corbyn has shown that Leftist demands can be successful at a national level today. Not only is the election outcome a vindication for Leftist ideas in Britain, it is also an inspiration at the international level. Progressive activists should study his strategy of building support around Left-wing policies, the people-management skills he used to neutralize the right-wing in his own party, and the tactical compromises which many would consider opportunism but that nevertheless helped elevate the Labour Party.

The other lesson from the British election: don't trust the polls.
User
Metal God

Re: UK elections

Post by User »

first good global politics news in a year
more metal
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

this might be the first time in my adult life (or at least certainly in recent memory) that i've actually been legitimately excited about an election outcome

the result of this election after years of sabotage from his own party and being relentlessly and universally attacked by the media is nothing short of miraculous

anyone painting this as anything but a major win for labour are delusional or totally ignorant

naturally, a sampling of think tank democrat types on twitter last night were all quite upset, as they see the result as a vindication for left-wing politics, which they've built their entire careers around neutralizing
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

Makes me wish we had a parliament style system here in the US.
rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Maybe I'm missing something here, haven't been following closely, but didn't May win by 50 something seats? Is the celebration for a lack of a tory majority?
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

wouldnt have thought the uk election would be a big deal in america
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

Lavabug wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here, haven't been following closely, but didn't May win by 50 something seats? Is the celebration for a lack of a tory majority?
she called for the election because she thought she was in a position of great strength and then promptly lost thirteen seats while labo(u)r picked up 30. so while technically the conservative party remains in control in practice they've lost considerable political power
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

Lavabug wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here, haven't been following closely, but didn't May win by 50 something seats? Is the celebration for a lack of a tory majority?
they lost a functioning majority where they were predicted to win by large double-digit margins. projections at the time the election was called had them gaining 50-100 seats on top of the prior majority. may ran a disastrous campaign and blew an election that was called on the supposition that it was a sure thing, she's finished :santa:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Verbal wrote:wouldnt have thought the uk election would be a big deal in america
Were just hoping someone fucks up worse so bag of diarrhea inside another, bigger bag of diarrhea doesn't look so shit
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

hmm

what's the bigger unforced self-own

may and the tories, or clinton and the democrats

this is difficult
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

Lets get this straight, Comrade Corbyn won nothing, his left wing ideas weren't the reason he did so well, he was against a women who was threatening our human rights and went hard with Brexit (which most people have voter regret on)

Corbyn also is a very good speaker and won alot of younger minds, having him as PM would have been equally worrying.

I voted based on the MP best for my area :santa:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

Hey Toozey see you in two weeks
more metal
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

c u den