Audio signal problems (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE HELP ME)

Shoot the shit with other metal folk. Free discussion on any topic that doesn't suit the other forums. Avoid mentioning carpet.
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Audio signal problems (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE HELP ME)

Post by Olden Polynice »

Today I have seen what hell looks like ladies and gentleman.

I've spent hours trying to get some recording going but this is my CURRENT FUCKING ISSUE AT THIS VERY MOMENT. It was the last resort, the old mixing console. I have the RCA cables hooked into the outs - these cables combine back into one cable which is in my microphone hole at the back of the computer. My guitar is plugged into line 1, there is a signal showing on the desk. The computer however, no.. no way. I have spent what seems like an eternity messing around in system sounds - I can't for the fucking life of me get a signal to show in the "recording" part of it, nor the playback now for that matter.

I could swear this was all I was doing to record audio on my old TERRIBLE computer. I have a line going in, a signal is showing. I have a line going out (RCA jacks) and into the computer microphone thing. The computer however just isn't having it. What simple thing am I doing wrong? I suspect there may be more to it, some Bill Gates scumbaggery afoot. Earlier I was trying to use USB out of the pedal and having problems with everything except Guitar Rig 5. I had sound going pretty quickly there, the simple Asio crap. Any other amp plug in or program though - no. I was using that Boss Tone Central thing earlier and could not get a fucking sound out of the computer even when I selected the only settings that would let me fucking progress to (allegedly) access the program properly - That does not make any sense to me, from memory there was sound showing up in the "recording" section of system sounds but nothing showing up in the playback section. Ended up just putting the out in the amp after a couple of hours wasted, pretty good program actually. But anyway...

I've watched a couple of Youtube videos and it's mainly people using 4 connections RCA wise. I understand this but do not see the point of having my computer feeding sound back into the desk when I just want to record and have the sound coming out of the speakers as it usually does. In other words, I got fuck all chords anyway and think it's unnecessary for what I'm trying to do. I think there's something going on with the Microsoft audio thing but have no idea what :ra:

If anybody can help..I'll order you a pizza if it's possible to do it online.
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Re: Audio signal problems (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE HELP ME)

Post by Olden Polynice »

P.S smart arse replies will be ignored, looking at you Gleeso.

This is vry..vry..srs bsns.

Sorry if it's in the wrong section.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Can u make a picture of your setup?

What DAW are you using?

Maybe it's an I/O setup issue within your software. It could also be the mic input of your computer while you are trying to send a line level signal into it, while the mic input is at mic level.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

post your credit card details here and someone will help you
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

you're not wrong
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i had an issue for several months where i couldn't get reaper to actually write anything to disk

after an ungodly number of hours testing innumerable settings in the software, it turned out i just had to change which USB port my interface was plugged into

the lesson is: computers are fuckin' dumb as hell

and so are you

and so am i

:chetty:
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

iamgoat wrote:Can u make a picture of your setup?

What DAW are you using?

Maybe it's an I/O setup issue within your software. It could also be the mic input of your computer while you are trying to send a line level signal into it, while the mic input is at mic level.
I don't think the DAW should be important here as there should just be sound coming through without one open in the case with the analogue mixer? Were you asking this due to ASIO issues or something similar? I will take pictures tomorrow but can you expand on the mic input thing any further? As said the stand alone Guitar Rig was working when I was just using the USB out of the pedal - I tried opening up Guitar Rig in FL Studio and had no results however. Going back to the desk - I know the mic input is atleast doing something because when I turn the computer volume up while the chord is plugged in I can hear the..audio air sound (?) all of a sudden. Not sure how to word it. The plug is still in and after just looking at the computer volume mixer it's saying "Listening to Microphone - 2 - High Definition Audio Device" when I hover above it. When I click further into System Sounds and recording it has Line In saying not plugged in. I just don't see why the pink microphone input won't pick up the sound. Maybe I should open the computer up and see what's going on with the blue input? Yet the microphone one is obviously working at some capacity? Hopefully that made sense? :alien:
Hitoshura wrote:
after an ungodly number of hours testing innumerable settings in the software, it turned out i just had to change which USB port my interface was plugged into
Haha already tried this
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

Olden Polynice wrote:
iamgoat wrote:Can u make a picture of your setup?

What DAW are you using?

I don't think the DAW should be important here as there should just be sound coming through without one open in the case with the analogue mixer? Were you asking this due to ASIO issues or something similar? I will take pictures tomorrow but can you expand on the mic input thing any further? As said the stand alone Guitar Rig was working when I was just using the USB out of the pedal - I tried opening up Guitar Rig in FL Studio and had no results however. Going back to the desk - I know the mic input is atleast doing something because when I turn the computer volume up while the chord is plugged in I can hear the..audio air sound (?) all of a sudden. Not sure how to word it. The plug is still in and after just looking at the computer volume mixer it's saying "Listening to Microphone - 2 - High Definition Audio Device" when I hover above it. When I click further into System Sounds and recording it has two microphone inputs then under them Line In saying not plugged in. I just don't see why the pink microphone input won't pick up the sound. Maybe I should open the computer up and see what's going on with the blue input? Yet the microphone one is obviously working at some capacity? Hopefully that made sense? :alien:
Hitoshura wrote:
Haha already tried this
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Well, like I said, I don't think running two XLR or 1/4" Jack (TRS) out of your mixer's line out (line level) into your mini jack mic input (mic level) of your computer is going to work.

Is the mixer fully analog or does it have a usb or firewire connection so you can use it as an external audio interface?

I hate PC's when it comes to audio.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

i wonder if this is related to my arrow key browser issue :bulb:
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

that first thread has way too many words
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

could be a defective keyboard
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

:redneck:
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

iamgoat wrote:Well, like I said, I don't think running two XLR or 1/4" Jack (TRS) out of your mixer's line out (line level) into your mini jack mic input (mic level) of your computer is going to work.

Is the mixer fully analog or does it have a usb or firewire connection so you can use it as an external audio interface?

I hate PC's when it comes to audio.
My memory is pretty bad but I'm sure that's just the way I hooked it up to an old computer in the past. It's an analog mixer, I have never owned a usb interface. I was also having some issues with the USB guitar pedal (worked in Guitar Rig though but the problem is I didn't want to use Guitar Rig sounds, wanted to record the pedal sounds). Just caved and ordered an MBox 3 Pro, hopefully this should do the trick. I will no doubt post back in frustration in a couple of weeks. I appreciate your help for now. :grin:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

"old computer" = old pizza?
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

HELLO THERE
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

moldy times
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

Righto.

I got the MBox 3. Now, first of all..this:

Note the hardware issue at the bottom^^ The thing is plugged in. The lights are on, my guitar cable is hooked in and when I strum the green light on the box lights up (also goes red which is obviously clipping). I checked for driver upgrades by right clicking the device in device manager. If I look at recording devices it shows up as the default device and again, when I strum the bar registers the sound going in:

The output does not show any sound. I have switched from the interface to speakers as default device - makes no difference.

Before the enviable is asked, yes I have the outputs running out of the MBox running into a pair of KRKs. I thought about also hooking the analog interface up with this set up but it's whatever now, I just want to record some stuff asap.

Any ideas? Things just seem to get more complex each time I upgrade computers. :ra:
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

Holy fuck. The first picture was the MBox Pro control panel software. Don't know why it isn't showing up. It says "Hardware not connected. Not streaming" at the bottom.
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

Something else I just noticed. When watching a video it seemed pretty quiet. I forgot the Avid MBox thingy is set to default. So it's making sound in that regard :mmno:

vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I can't see your photobucket pictures... it says "please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting".

What software (DAW) are you using to record?
What OS are you using? Windows or Mac? Which version? Some OS's don't support certain audio interfaces.

1. Make sure the audio device is selected in the audio settings of your DAW.
2. Create an audio track and set the input of the audio track accordingly.
3. Set the output of the audiotrack to Main Out (Out 1-2, which your speakers are connected to).
4. If the audio track has an Input Monitoring button, activate it and activate the Record Ready button.
5. Set input level on the mbox accordingly and you should get a signal.
6. Check the gain on the back of your speakers, maybe something was turned down by mistake.
7. Not sure if the mbox has a "lo-z" and "hi-z" button or input, it's the difference between line level and microphone level (or impedance) but check those.

If this doesn't help you, the only thing I could do is help through Skype/facetime.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

got to use imgur
Z's bouncy tits
Oklahoma

Post by Z's bouncy tits »

Can see them 100%.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

so did we sort this out yet, or what
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I have no clue. Every time the duder has new problems I try to help out by asking questions, waiting for his answers but they never come. :eyes: