fuck everyone in the GOP with a knife

Shoot the shit with other metal folk. Free discussion on any topic that doesn't suit the other forums. Avoid mentioning carpet.
Lavabug
Metal God

fuck everyone in the GOP with a knife

Post by Lavabug »

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/o ... ook.com%2F

essentially, if this passes the senate, full-time grad assistants like me that live off of less than $16k/yr after taxes will now have to live off of less than $9k/yr, essentially making finishing a phd impossible without being independently wealthy or going into massive debt, and basically forcing ~%50 of phd students in my field out as they are international thus ineligible for loans. So, I may well be taking on a shit ton of debt next fall, assuming I'm eligible.

anyone with college loans of any sort is fucked too, in other ways

senate version of the bill features tax breaks for private aircraft, as a fun fact

how fucked would you be with this dusto?
vO)))id
Metal God

Re: fuck everyone in the GOP with a knife

Post by vO)))id »

:frown: our country is running after the US like a fucking child. We see the same things happening.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah i read about the grad funding issue a couple of weeks ago. the current tax plan eliminates the student loan interest deduction too which is just super fuckin' rad, goes along nicely with them eliminating the public service loan forgiveness program (which, to be fair was designed to ensure almost nobody would get their loans forgiven, but it'd still be better to have it than not)
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

Lavabug wrote:how fucked would you be with this dusto?
not, like, immensely fucked

but no longer being able to deduct student loan payments would be a hindrance for sure. it's a small enough deduction as it is :necro:

basically i will have to get even more creative with our taxes

:metavag:
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

better call saul
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

i am not surprised that this passed

i will not be surprised when the version that comes out of reconciliation is more terrible than either the house or senate plan individually