Your dayjob

Shoot the shit with other metal folk. Free discussion on any topic that doesn't suit the other forums. Avoid mentioning carpet.
vO)))id
Metal God

Your dayjob

Post by vO)))id »

What kinda work do you do right now?

I'm a freelance sound engineer, produce records and play guitar, bass and keys for some of these projects when needed. And live sound.

I quit my restaurant job.

:santa:
Holocaust
Metal God

Re: Your dayjob

Post by Holocaust »

Wireless sales

I sell cell phones at the cell store
Inverted Crosses And Gorebongs
Metal God

Post by Inverted Crosses And Gorebongs »

Looking for a job. Meh.

I do freelance work through Upwork and do the dog walking and pet sitting sometimes too.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

I work on websites and do a lot of troubleshooting/problem solving on web related software. I do a lot of what I call "blackbox work' where I have to figure out why something is broken on a project I've never worked on before and no one else knows what's going on either

i'm currently upgrading a client's cloud sharing software from version 5.0.0 to version 10.0.0. there are about 40 incremental versions between all those and there is no official support or documentation for this process and it makes me miss stocking shelves sometimes

I've also been working on a data analytics project for almost a year with one other hard-on bearer who was the only one who knew anything about it, he quit last week :homework:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Aw shucks
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

I'm a graphic designer in the marketing department of an American post-trade financial services company (I go to work at the company's Manila office). My working hours are from 2 PM to 11 PM and my direct manager is based in the USA and she goes to work at the main office building in New Jersey and we only get to talk at night on my end and morning on her end. As a non-clock/non-exempt employee, she handles all my timesheets, salary, benefits/rewards, PTOs, sick leaves, etc. and I report directly to her and not to anyone here in Manila.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

That's nice. :santa:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Anyone else?
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

slingin gossip
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

oh i did some high-end tutoring this autumn as well. that was nice. i hope to do more next year
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

*this year
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

for the past three months or so, my job has been to open accounts to facilitate fraud. mostly these are accounts being opened by semiliterate american dupes who have been roped into nigerian deposit scams, but there's the occasional loan fraud mixed in too. hopefully senior management decides to reinstitute some risk management protocols in the new year so things can go back to normal, because in its current incarnation it's a pretty fuckin' stupid job
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

Been a dock worker at Fedex Freight for almost eight years now. The pay is very good for what the work entails and I get over a month of paid vacation/holidays per year, which is nice. I also never have to deal with customers, and each day is something pretty different since we move a lot of crazy industrial stuff. A bad day almost always involves something so crazy that it at least makes for a funny story. It's pretty good exercise, but almost never exhausting since we use forklifts to move most things. The hours are flexible too. I currently start between noon and 1PM M-F. Very little traffic to and from work because of it.

I don't have any plans to leave, but I'm also not sure how much longer I want to do it. Lately I've been having to work overtime almost every night. We get time and a half for it, but I don't need the extra money and I really miss being able to count on no more than eight hours per day. Plus it would be nice to learn and try to get really good at a new line of work. But I really can't complain.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

is there any specific type of work you might be interested in?
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

No, not really. I originally accidentally stumbled upon what turned out to be a near perfect job for me for quite a while. Why that is would be a long explanation. It's just that I don't look forward to going in to work nearly as much as I used to, and the quality of management has really taken a hit in the past year, which has translated to longer hours for me.

I'll stick with it for a while longer, and I'm in no rush to leave because I do generally like what I do. I'm also currently waiting to see where what is becoming a very strange roommate situation is going. Until that gets sorted out I need all the stability in my life I can get.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Hitoshura wrote:for the past three months or so, my job has been to open accounts to facilitate fraud. mostly these are accounts being opened by semiliterate american dupes who have been roped into nigerian deposit scams, but there's the occasional loan fraud mixed in too. hopefully senior management decides to reinstitute some risk management protocols in the new year so things can go back to normal, because in its current incarnation it's a pretty fuckin' stupid job
Sounds silly indeed, to help people that actually fall for that stuff.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Paste Human, sounds like a nice job but I understand your doubts.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I'm still looking for a new parttime job but I have no idea what I'd want to do. Music is basically impossible because nobody has any budget and I'm not in the position right now to move to a place where it is blooming (not this country). I don't want to deal with customers, I've done that for more than 10 years. Maybe transport or something. I don't want to sit in an office either.
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

iamgoat wrote:I'm still looking for a new parttime job but I have no idea what I'd want to do. Music is basically impossible because nobody has any budget and I'm not in the position right now to move to a place where it is blooming (not this country). I don't want to deal with customers, I've done that for more than 10 years. Maybe transport or something. I don't want to sit in an office either.
Fedex did just merge with TNT Express :santa:

It was kind of cool because the top people from that company came to Minneapolis, MN and watched me and a couple other guys work back in October. I was told that Autumn in MN can be very similar to year round conditions in parts of the Netherlands, but the vice president of the company is from MN so there's that too.

I don't know how it is in Europe, but in the U.S. if you can learn and excel at operating machinery it does tend to pay very well, and top tier companies generally have very good equipment (that makes a huge difference).

Aside from peak hours what I do is a very good way to spend several hours thinking things out in a very measured way. Back when I was only working 30 hours per week it was great for working on projects with friends, as the pace of the work fueled thoughts on the projects and the strange nature of the projects got me going on outside the box solutions at work. Those are some really cool times to think back on.

Anyway, hope you find something suitable. I'm currently thinking of changing things up slightly, but I don't think I would ever go back to a desk job - or at least one that is nothing but sitting behind a desk. That was stifling.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

pá-stay it sounds like your job is pretty great :santa: if you invest all that extra cash perhaps you could simply quit when you want to and have a cushion :bulb:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people