Self-improvement, things I learned last weekend

Shoot the shit with other metal folk. Free discussion on any topic that doesn't suit the other forums. Avoid mentioning carpet.
Grudge
Metal God

Self-improvement, things I learned last weekend

Post by Grudge »

Last weekend I am pleased to report that weekend instead of idling about, I spent 16 hours learning WordPress and peering through code. I have renewed confidence that I am not so old that I can't learn new things, that if I just dedicated time that I can learn anything new. To any web designers on this board, is there any money in doing wordpress development?

To the rest of the board members, have you learned anything new in your free time?
zim
Zim(a)

Re: Self-improvement, things I learned last weekend

Post by zim »

wordpress is trash and you should feel bad

actually, there is a lot of money in wordpress if you are a good developer. however, i stay away from wordpress because people always want to extend it beyond the scope of what it is meant to do.
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

What do you recommend I learn instead of WordPress?
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

wordpress is fine

it is also stupid easy and not on zim's level
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

wordpress is fine FOR what its built for. my gripes are that the plugins tend to suck, most of good ones aren't free either. as well as security issues, wordpress has constant security updates and is super prone to being hacked.

problems arise (often) when a client wants to use wordpress for things it wasn't meant to really handle. i have a few client sites that use wordpress and they are peachy but i don't like it that much. then again i probably have stockholm syndrome with the software i use
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

the constant security updates are fucking annoying :idea: particularly since i am not the webmaster and thus do not get to keep pace the way i would like
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people