Gibson files for bankruptcy!

Shoot the shit with other metal folk. Free discussion on any topic that doesn't suit the other forums. Avoid mentioning carpet.
Grudge
Metal God

Gibson files for bankruptcy!

Post by Grudge »

Shiiiiiiit

The company behind the iconic Gibson guitars — whose instruments have been played by Les Paul, B.B. King and Jimmy Page, among many others — filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Delaware. The Nashville-based corporation's current properties also include Baldwin Piano, Gibson Pro Audio and Wurlitzer, a company once famous for its organs but whose brand name Gibson now uses only for manufacturing jukeboxes.

As NPR has noted in the past, filing for Chapter 11 protection does not mean that a company is doomed to fail; instead, "it's a way for companies that can't pay their bills to not die."

The petition, filed on Tuesday (May 1), notes that the company currently has up to $500 million in debt, and that it will focus its operations going forward on its musical instruments business, "unburdened by the challenges experienced by [the company's] separate, primarily non-U.S., consumer electronics business." That business includes the brands KRK, Cerwin Vega and Stanton, whose lines include studio monitors, headphones and turntables.

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/ ... protection
Grudge
Metal God

Re: Gibson files for bankruptcy!

Post by Grudge »

Word is that they had a poor reputation as a supplier and never cleared their payments on time according to music shop owners.
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

I blame 3D printers and illegal download of copyrights.
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

The thing is, every decent guitarist (at least from where I'm from) knows that that if you want to buy a decent Les Paul, it's much more worthwhile to go second hand as you could get an old model that is by far superior to the standard models that Gibson makes today.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Skinfection wrote:Unpopular opinion: les pauls are overrated
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

I love my Les Paul LPJ 2013

User
Metal God