The whole 'keto diet' fad

Shoot the shit with other metal folk. Free discussion on any topic that doesn't suit the other forums. Avoid mentioning carpet.
shadowalk
Metal God

The whole 'keto diet' fad

Post by shadowalk »

What are your thoughts on this? I see a lot of small businesses popping up selling 'keto meals' to students/workers via social media. I also know quite a lot of folk who are practicing it as well.
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Re: The whole 'keto diet' fad

Post by rhino »

I know someone who lost 100 pounds on a ketogenic diet, no shit. So I'm assuming keto can be a good thing
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

It's a fad. Fuck it. There are no short cuts. Just eat less, and get off your lazy fuckin ass to go for a walk every day. That's all you need.

Save your $$$ and stay away from these fads.
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

:santa:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I also don’t believe in diets because the only reason they work is because you start watching what you eat and drink. I believe changing your lifestyle is the key, not just following a diet and then stop that diet when you have hit your goal.

But ketones are interesting. It’s a thing produced by your own body (liver) when you are fasting for a longer period. It breaks down glycogen from your liver and your body starts using ketones for fuel, starting something called autophagy (getting rid of damaged cells and replacing them with healthy cells).

Check out the Rogan podcast with Rhonda Patrick. It kind of explains everything you need to know about ketones and autophagy. I find it super interesting and have been intermittendly fasting / time restricted eating for almost a month now. And became a lifestyle for me already instead of a diet and for me, it helps me watch what I eat and drink, and I don’t crave anything else outside of the time in which I do eat (in which I also actually eat much less than I used to). During fasting I only drink black cawfee, herbal tea or water. Nothing else so also no cream, sugar or sweetener in those hot beverages. Of course I combine this with enough excersize in the form of hiking, running and lifting weights.

https://youtu.be/9M8X_bs_fzI
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Sounds like quackery Vamphy, I'm not clicking that
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Belgian professor was on the radio today as well about this. It’s science and it’s getting into mainstream now, slowly. People doing long distance sports such as marathon running or tour de France have been relying on natural ketones for years.

The diet thing is just a fad IMO, but I’m not talking about the diet, I’m simply talking about biology and science.

Also, you can check out the podcast and hear what is being told and then be free to disagree. But don’t say it’s quackery in advance while you have no idea what it’s about or what information is being presented.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

I knew it'd be one of those Rogan episodes before I even saw the video :redneck:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

Vahmpy, what is a typical 'keto' meal for you?
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

shadowalk wrote:Vahmpy, what is a typical 'keto' meal for you?
I’m not following a keto diet. I just watch my carb intake a bit but we’ve always been cooking our own meals ourselves with fresh ingredients. We have our own garden from which we get fruit, veggies and herbs. Our meat and fish come from local farmers who get a fair price for their produce (through something called Boerschappen).

So that’s it for me. Healthy food, excersize, sports, yoga, and balance that with work/life.

The part that’s new for me is the fasting bit, which I’m discovering benefits of at the moment. And I just find that whole study on ketones and autophagy very interesting. You don’t need to follow a “keto diet” to activate ketones in your body.
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

I looked into this a bit out of curiosity because it kept coming up when I was looking for some new recipes that had carbs but weren't loaded with them.

From what I saw the evidence seems pretty clear that if someone is very strict in following the diet and doesn't skip daily exercise the results for fat loss can be dramatic. However it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people on this diet are creating or worsening other health issues by overlooking the overall nutritional value of what they're eating and only making sure it has little to no carbs.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i do not want no dramatic fat loss
i don't know what this keto diet is
this thread is the first i heard of it
more metal
User
Metal God

Post by User »