end of the decade

Shoot the shit with other metal folk. Free discussion on any topic that doesn't suit the other forums. Avoid mentioning carpet.
zim
Zim(a)

end of the decade

Post by zim »

hi fam, how was your decade?

the first half of this decade was a roller coaster for me, i left home, got my first apartment, went to and finished college, lost loved ones, and started a career. in a way i feel vaguely like i ended up where i started.

i don't have any major regrets during the last 10 years though i wish i had done a few things differently. i really hope i can achieve a few of my big goals in the next decade that i wasn't able to do in this one. time seems to keep going faster and faster and i don't like it.

:jugcheers: cheers to all of mabb, i hope the next decade is great for everyone :xx: :xx: :xx:
Ninny
Metal God

Re: end of the decade

Post by Ninny »

I think I liked it, not sure
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

What a long strange trip its been
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Plenty of ups and downs but I think overall twas a good one
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

It was a pretty damn wild one, in a good way.
Z's bouncy tits
Oklahoma

Post by Z's bouncy tits »

Shite.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Ultra mega big doings or just the regular kind?
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
Aðalsteinn
Metal God

Post by Aðalsteinn »

Decade of big changes for sure. Two more children, making a total of three, lost both my grandfather and grandmother, both of which played a big part in my upbringing, changed job avenues, watched my younger brother become a 30 year old widower ( fuck you cancer ).
I do however believe that more positive stuff has happened as opposed to negative. I’ve traveled quite a lot, work has been great, some old friends have re-surfaced for some epic nights of drinkery and stupidity, the fam is healthy... cant really ask for more :santa:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

:shock:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

hmm, first half mostly sucked. that contained all of the worst parts like the summer of being homeless, general grinding poverty & instability, dying family, and the first year of my job which was so relentlessly awful i started having anxiety & panic attacks.

things started to stabilize in 2015 and have been mostly good since, i've hit a wall career-wise but other than that i'm in a pretty good position i guess. the latter half contained all three MABB meetups which were all mega fun :xx:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Kicking off the next decade with another :xx:
Ninny wrote:
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

I had a couple shitty years at the beginning of it and a couple toward the end, but probably more good ones than bad. I know this sounds like bullshit but at the very least I feel like I became more capable of navigating life after having gone through the bad years (work life unraveling for a period, illness in the family, close fellating lover attempting suicide, even closer fellating lover dying, etc).

Looking forward I'd be shocked if I don't end up changing careers at some point in the next decade. I really like what I do now but I doubt if I can physically keep it up once I get into my 40s.
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

first half was kind of rough - dissatisfied with work, nearly lost a close fellating lover to alcoholism, uncertainty about the future and really up shit creek financially.
second half - finally got some kind of career going and thus have some financial stability, bought a house, got married, got a doggo. things are looking up.
rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

This thread is excellent. I didn’t even realize this is another decade gone by until I saw this thread.

A good moment to reflect on things.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

hmm, this decade has often been quite turdly, but the little boy means i can't look back on it with anything but fondness. kind of annoying actually, i want to complain :waa:

maybe i will actually make it to midnight this new year's :bulb:
zim wrote::jugcheers: cheers to all of mabb, i hope the next decade is great for everyone :xx: :xx: :xx:
cheers zim :beer: hope you get a backyard next decade
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:some financial stability, bought a house, got married, got a doggo
:thingy:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Paste Human wrote:I had a couple shitty years at the beginning of it and a couple toward the end, but probably more good ones than bad. I know this sounds like bullshit but at the very least I feel like I became more capable of navigating life after having gone through the bad years (work life unraveling for a period, illness in the family, close fellating lover attempting suicide, even closer fellating lover dying, etc).

Looking forward I'd be shocked if I don't end up changing careers at some point in the next decade. I really like what I do now but I doubt if I can physically keep it up once I get into my 40s.
i hope to be in minneapolis next decade so we can actually meet up this time :santa:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Nick wrote:Kicking off the next decade with another :xx:
:gay::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Skinfection wrote:
Nick wrote:Ultra mega big doings or just the regular kind?
Ultra mega :shock:
are you moving to thailand
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Hitoshura wrote:hmm, first half mostly sucked. that contained all of the worst parts like the summer of being homeless, general grinding poverty & instability, dying family, and the first year of my job which was so relentlessly awful i started having anxiety & attack of the scoville units attacks.

things started to stabilize in 2015 and have been mostly good since, i've hit a wall career-wise but other than that i'm in a pretty good position i guess. the latter half contained all three MABB meetups which were all mega fun :xx:
i started to say that i called you on the telephone from the roof of the romantic languages building this decade but it was actually the decade before :oops:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

rhino wrote:What a long strange trip its been
post a picture in 2029
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

arborist shrub tarkington wrote:
zim wrote::jugcheers: cheers to all of mabb, i hope the next decade is great for everyone :xx: :xx: :xx:
cheers zim :beer: hope you get a backyard next decade
shiet, me too

honestly the only goals on the horizon for me are to do the music things for realz
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

in your backyard
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

my boss lives in austin :santa: what's going on down there
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

did he hire you :shock:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

In 2010 and 2011 I finished an awesome recording studio internship and my masters degree in composition/music production/tech.

Started my freelance audio services thing which in the end wasn’t very fruital because there’s no real money to be made with it in this country. Only in the higher echelons.

Found Roller Derby to be great sport and community through which I saw many more places in Europe, making many new friends and even reffing the world cup in 2018.

Built up a music production school in 2 years with several locations almost turning over half a million Euros in 3 years but I quit that place before shit started crumbling down slowly because of more and more contest from cheaper places. I was working a second job that I hated which caused me to relapse into a great depression and burn-out. This was 2015/‘16. Got into professional help and therapy which really helped me process many causes of my depression.

Got ourselves the best dog in the world that also helped me with my mental health. He became my best fellating lover.

Found a new job from home in 2018 for Harman Audio, became a tech SME today and slowly making progress in that company, with more security as well which feels good.

After another very dark period, found Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as a new form of therapy and physical excersize all together which I am very happy with.

Nowadays playing more guitar, way less music production but steady job from home with a very nice team of people.

Going through a very rough time with my relationship now but we’ll see where that ship will strand.

To summarize, many extreme ups and downs but an interesting decade for sure in which I’ve grown more as a human being than I could’ve imagined.

Thank you MABB for being here all this time. Thank you Luke and all you lot for keeping it alive.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

apparently that's what people who've lived in austin longer than five or six years say about it now :redneck:

good luck with the actual physical move, shed every last thing you don't give a fuck about before heading out :santa:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

also you'll be literally 1200 miles closer to savannah, come for the september meetup
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

arborist shrub tarkington wrote:also you'll be literally 1200 miles closer to savannah, come for the september meetup
:idea::::::::::
Ninny wrote:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Skinfection wrote:
arborist shrub tarkington wrote:apparently that's what people who've lived in austin longer than five or six years say about it now :redneck:

good luck with the actual physical move, shed every last thing you don't give a fuck about before heading out :santa:
Those are probably people who haven't lived in L.A. for any length of time. It's getting really bad out here, and you can see it progress from month to month. My apartment should be 1/3 or more less and it shouldn't take almost 2 hours to drive ~10 miles on a given day.
no i mean people who lived in austin before it got hip say the same thing about austin now that you said about los angeles california
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

all I ever hear from people that moved from Austin is that all the Californian's have ruined it. :redneck:
rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

Like everybody, this decade had its ups and downs and now I'm in a stable situation.

2010 - 2012: I read political literature extensively and raised my intellectual level about the world. I came to the US, completed my MBA. Was financially broke all the time unless it was student related living. Got by on Dad's money. Didn't have a car in big Dallas, TX which wasn't easy but I got by. Lived in a shared one-bedroom 600 sq ft apartment with 2 other dudes most of the time (that's 3 guys living in one small apartment). Slept on an inflatable bed on the floor for quite a long time, then someone was generous enough to donate a used mattress to me to sleep on, which I considered luxurious at the time. If I was 19 years old when this was going on, I wouldn't have cared but at a grown 28 years old this was pretty depressing.

2013-2015: Went through a depressing year of unemployment, a totally wasted year of my life. I started doing another degree. Things picked up when I got an internship, developed some work skills. Then it all went down the shitter again when the internship failed to convert to a full-time position. So I went back to balochistan and spent 4 months in unemployment again. Got hired locally for a job that payed exactly as much as I was making before I did the degrees.

2016-2018: I got married to a US citizen, came back to the US, got my greencard, work authorization issues got sorted out, and boom, I got employed. Although it was still a shitty low pay salary job compared to what I could have been making, I stuck with it two years, saved a lot, lived well and funded my wife's student tuition. I lived efficiently, cut costs wherever I could to save up. I used up all my vacation time to look for a better job, and after a year of trying, I eventually got it. My life satisfaction level rose substantially. I started thinking about the future. Low point during this time was frequent and intense domestic arguments.

2019 - : Performed well at work, have good expectations for the future, wife's career prospects looking up, which is great because that will double the household income. Going on vacation for the whole of December. Will be looking for a house sometime mid-2020. Life has been good lately.
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

Skinfection wrote:
Skinfection wrote:
Nick wrote:Ultra mega big doings or just the regular kind?
Ultra mega :shock:
are you moving to thailand
Austin :santa:
I go there at least once a year to meet my brother. It will be really easy for me to meet with you then.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

Hitoshura wrote:hmm, first half mostly sucked. that contained all of the worst parts like the summer of being homeless, general grinding poverty & instability, dying family, and the first year of my job which was so relentlessly awful i started having anxiety & attack of the scoville units attacks.

i started to say that i called you on the telephone from the roof of the romantic languages building this decade but it was actually the decade before :oops:
and early on too! i think that was 2003-2004

the store i was working in that you called no longer exists :chetty:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

based on the classes i remember taking at the time i think it was 2006. in any case it was a very long time ago now

i am glad that that store has been flushed down the toilet of history :judge:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

:squarsh:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

arborist shrub tarkington wrote:based on the classes i remember taking at the time i think it was 2006. in any case it was a very long time ago now

i am glad that that store has been flushed down the toilet of history :judge:
ah yeah 2006 is also probable, i was back there for a few months in the winter/early spring

that was just before they promoted me again and then a few weeks later i quit on the spot :redneck:
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

first half was quite meh with a lot of uncertainty and lacking direction towards my own future as an individual

things picked up when i graduated from it the college at the age of 28 and got me some jobbins and my own stable (sometimes unstable) source of bling. been job-hopping for most of 2014-2017 in many fucked up companies (both startup and established) before i landed in my current jobbins in 2017 and i've just been slowly but surely building mein savage empire :grim:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

have you ever considered moving to another country to work
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

I have actually. I just need a few more of years of bling savings to keep myself afloat before i make such a move.

Singapore has been in consideration ever since i was in college and i have an uncle that lives there. Mayhaps i’ll see what options i have that can land me in it the Singapore lands.
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

User wrote:it is great to read this entire thread everyone, i want to reply to individual posts but i do not have the time right now. instead i will try to summarise my decade year by year without too many words and also by theme

steady relationship from 2010-16. australian anthropologist community worker funky chick. ended because i was too insensitive to her depression and she didn't want to have kids or commit to me.
new relationship from 2017-19. indian political geography scholar badass chick. ended because she was still in love with her ex and i couldn't be bothered with it anymore, plus i had a new sexy leopard elevator lined up.
another new relationship from 2019- present. burmese political parties researcher super hot chick. this is going well, still a lot of intercultural issues as she comes from a very conservative society but we're getting there.

i lost my last three great-grandparents this decaded. all were women, three great-grandmothers. i wasn't super close to any of them, they were ancient. but they were all really interesting characters with great lives and cool people right up to their ends. i inherited a 1989 ford corsair from one of them, still my favourite car. i drove it from 2011, did all the servicing myself, then sold it for $300 to a random dude in a carpark in 2016. good memories with that car. i had a 2014 kia picanto from 2017-19.

2010 - finished degree, moved with girlfriend to shanghai, lots of travel and bumming around in china
2011 - moved to sydney, went to film school, studied chinese, followed burmese politics, bought a motorcycle, worked in media monitoring which was interesting, and my mum gave birth to my new half-sister
2012 - moved to canberra, studied masters degree in asian studies, worked the worst job i have ever had in my life
2013 - more canberra, kept working the worst job ever, got second masters degree in international relations, started making beer in earnest
2014 - moved to melbz to spend more time with my new toddler sister and to wait for some jobs to pan out. cycled around sulawesi with my mates, great trip. did a bit of australia travel too. started a brew club.
2015 - went to the U.S. and canada for the first time which was super cool. MABB meet-up. :xx: was rejected from the job i had been hounding for two years (Australia's FBI) on character grounds at the final hurdle. applied for a phd
2016 - started my phd, broke up with my girlfriend, moved to myanmar. did a motorcycle trip across india with my mates. went back to the US and MABB MEET UP and also did a road trip from the official city of the the official city of the chicago cubs cubs to fargo.
2017 - lived in myanmar, did a lot of motorcycle trips around the country, lived very free and easy, no commitments and a steady scholarship. got funded to go to europe and present my research in copenhagen. toured a lot of europe.
2018 - lived in myanmar. a lot of travel. got more involved with the brewery here. also worked at an NGO. road trip across germany with my mates and some family history stuff which was awesome. a few road trips in myanmar.
2019 - scored a book contract, did six week road trip researching for it. wrote up the manuscript. stepped up my involvement with the brewery. my beer became the best-selling craft beer in myanmar. went to europe again, met MABBers :xx:.

2020 begins with me probably buying a ford truck then myanmar's first ever craft beer festival which i am organising and is a hectic job. then i will have the book launch for my book and finally put that thing to bed. then i will try to write my phd. and go to

SAVANNAH GEORGIA SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER 2020 MOTHERFUCKEEEEEERS MABB MEET UP UP UP UP MEET MEET MEET UP UP UP UP
Fuck the phd - write an autobiography :shock:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

He did

It's his mabb post history
Ninny wrote: