coronavirus in this region

Shoot the shit with other metal folk. Free discussion on any topic that doesn't suit the other forums. Avoid mentioning carpet.
User avatar
arborist shrub tarkington
Postwhore
Posts: 72839
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby arborist shrub tarkington » 19 Mar 2020, 21:55

Skinfection wrote:
arborist shrub tarkington wrote:
Skinfection wrote:
jorsh wrote:(jorsh's preferred insult here) and Willard want to give everyone $1,000! Dirty socialists!

I texted this to my cousin who’s a huge trumptard and it and I enjoyed it immensely.

“That is gross and such bullshit. As soon as this bullshit is done the economy and will boom back like a m.otherfucker. It’s going to be cool to watch.”

:gaylol:::::::


Did you hear Kamala Harris say she wanted to give everyone $500? She's from the bay area, which is more expensive than LA. What a joke.

Biden had better not pick her for his VP.


$500 a month homie


Which is still insulting. That's only 1/3 of my rent, and I know people are paying way more than that out here. Not counting other bills. Then there are the people out here with mortgages to consider. Even Mitt Romney is proposing to give people twice what she is.

Granted $500 is better than nothing, but so is a handful of rice during famine. They can do better and they know it.


what other assistance does the proposed bill offer
rhino wrote:like transgression but good
User avatar
Nick
Postwhore
Posts: 52919
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Nick » 19 Mar 2020, 22:10

Skinfection wrote:
arborist shrub tarkington wrote:
Skinfection wrote:
jorsh wrote:(jorsh's preferred insult here) and Willard want to give everyone $1,000! Dirty socialists!

I texted this to my cousin who’s a huge trumptard and it and I enjoyed it immensely.

“That is gross and such bullshit. As soon as this bullshit is done the economy and will boom back like a m.otherfucker. It’s going to be cool to watch.”

:gaylol:::::::


Did you hear Kamala Harris say she wanted to give everyone $500? She's from the bay area, which is more expensive than LA. What a joke.

Biden had better not pick her for his VP.


$500 a month homie


Which is still insulting. That's only 1/3 of my rent, and I know people are paying way more than that out here. Not counting other bills. Then there are the people out here with mortgages to consider. Even Mitt Romney is proposing to give people twice what she is.

Granted $500 is better than nothing, but so is a handful of rice during famine. They can do better and they know it.


Thats almost half of my mortgage :santa:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.


Ninny wrote:But I've never seen a fat sexy leopard elevator naked, what do I do when I'm not aroused?
User avatar
Skinfection
Metal God
Posts: 17632
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 11:02
Location: California
Contact:

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Skinfection » 19 Mar 2020, 22:34

arborist shrub tarkington wrote:
Skinfection wrote:
arborist shrub tarkington wrote:
Skinfection wrote:
jorsh wrote:(jorsh's preferred insult here) and Willard want to give everyone $1,000! Dirty socialists!

I texted this to my cousin who’s a huge trumptard and it and I enjoyed it immensely.

“That is gross and such bullshit. As soon as this bullshit is done the economy and will boom back like a m.otherfucker. It’s going to be cool to watch.”

:gaylol:::::::


Did you hear Kamala Harris say she wanted to give everyone $500? She's from the bay area, which is more expensive than LA. What a joke.

Biden had better not pick her for his VP.


$500 a month homie


Which is still insulting. That's only 1/3 of my rent, and I know people are paying way more than that out here. Not counting other bills. Then there are the people out here with mortgages to consider. Even Mitt Romney is proposing to give people twice what she is.

Granted $500 is better than nothing, but so is a handful of rice during famine. They can do better and they know it.


what other assistance does the proposed bill offer


I meant in terms of doll hairs. 1k vs $500. As far as I'm aware it's just a monetary stimulus.
User avatar
The Ultimate
Metal God
Posts: 9129
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 10:23

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby The Ultimate » 19 Mar 2020, 23:18

Why are you all talking about $500 when the amount being dished out is $2,000, with an additional $500 for each child in the household?
User avatar
Skinfection
Metal God
Posts: 17632
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 11:02
Location: California
Contact:

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Skinfection » 19 Mar 2020, 23:37

Is that confirmed? I've heard so many different numbers being thrown around it's hard to keep track of what's hearsay and what isn't.
User avatar
Nick
Postwhore
Posts: 52919
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Nick » 19 Mar 2020, 23:54

First child to test positive for it here was announced a bit ago.
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.


Ninny wrote:But I've never seen a fat sexy leopard elevator naked, what do I do when I'm not aroused?
User avatar
arborist shrub tarkington
Postwhore
Posts: 72839
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby arborist shrub tarkington » 20 Mar 2020, 01:22

Skinfection wrote:
arborist shrub tarkington wrote:
Skinfection wrote:
arborist shrub tarkington wrote:
Skinfection wrote:
jorsh wrote:(jorsh's preferred insult here) and Willard want to give everyone $1,000! Dirty socialists!

I texted this to my cousin who’s a huge trumptard and it and I enjoyed it immensely.

“That is gross and such bullshit. As soon as this bullshit is done the economy and will boom back like a m.otherfucker. It’s going to be cool to watch.”

:gaylol:::::::


Did you hear Kamala Harris say she wanted to give everyone $500? She's from the bay area, which is more expensive than LA. What a joke.

Biden had better not pick her for his VP.


$500 a month homie


Which is still insulting. That's only 1/3 of my rent, and I know people are paying way more than that out here. Not counting other bills. Then there are the people out here with mortgages to consider. Even Mitt Romney is proposing to give people twice what she is.

Granted $500 is better than nothing, but so is a handful of rice during famine. They can do better and they know it.


what other assistance does the proposed bill offer


I meant in terms of doll hairs. 1k vs $500. As far as I'm aware it's just a monetary stimulus.


dude it's $1000 once vs $500 per month for at least a year

i hear what you're saying about the cost of living but why would you prefer literally six times less money
rhino wrote:like transgression but good
User avatar
arborist shrub tarkington
Postwhore
Posts: 72839
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby arborist shrub tarkington » 20 Mar 2020, 01:38

also there are at least nine proposed direct cash plans, not one is law yet, everything is hypothetical :dizzy:

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020 ... ecks-trump


Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin reportedly wants cash transfers to every American household in two payments, to go out on April 6 and May 18. The size of the transfers are to be determined and will be “tiered based on income level and family size,” per a Treasury memo that Bloomberg News obtained. Mnuchin on Wednesday specified he wants $1,000 checks per adult and $500 per child.

Senate Democrats, led by Michael Bennet (CO), Cory Booker (NJ), and Sherrod Brown (OH), want $2,000 per American to go out immediately, plus an additional $1,500 in July if the economy is still suffering or if we’re still in a public health emergency, and an additional $1,000 in October if the same conditions apply. The payments would be for people with incomes under $90,000 / $180,000 for couples, and they would be per individual, so a family of four would get $8,000 at first, then $6,000, etc.

House Financial Services Chair Maxine Waters (D-CA) has proposed $2,000 per adult and $1,000 per child monthly checks, financed by the Federal Reserve directly printing money, for the duration of the crisis.

Senator and presidential candidate Bernie Sanders (I-VT), as part of a much bigger coronavirus relief plan, has proposed universal $2,000 monthly payments per American for the duration of the crisis, with no reduction in benefits for children or means-testing.

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) proposed a one-off $1,000 check to every American adult. Romney’s proposal came early in the conversation, which helps account for its relatively small scale.

Sen. jorsh Hawley (R-MO) proposed offering all “families experiencing school closures or financial hardship” a monthly benefit worth $1,288 for a family of four, $1,446 for a family of three, $1,786 for a family of four, and $2,206 for a family of five for the duration of the financial crisis. Single parents making under $50,000 would get the full benefit, as would married parents making under $100,000. The checks would be based on 2018 tax data. Childless households would not qualify.

Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) has proposed $1,000 per adult and $500 per child or elderly/disabled dependent for single people making under $50,000 and couples making under $100,000.

Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH) and Ro Khanna (D-CA) have proposed a plan under which “every American adult making up to $130,000 would receive at least $1,000 and up to $2,000 per month for 6 months. Congress could then renew this again for another 6 month period.” That plan, unveiled on Tuesday, is already bolder than their initial plan unveiled last Friday.

Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) has proposed $1,000 per adult, $500 per child payments. Her communications strategist, Jeremy Slevin, told me that the checks would be sent out monthly for the duration of the crisis.
rhino wrote:like transgression but good
User avatar
arborist shrub tarkington
Postwhore
Posts: 72839
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby arborist shrub tarkington » 20 Mar 2020, 01:40

not surprisingly, the republican proposals are considerably stingier
rhino wrote:like transgression but good
User avatar
Nick
Postwhore
Posts: 52919
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Nick » 20 Mar 2020, 02:05

I would like some of these hypothetical proposed but not law yet dollars.
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.


Ninny wrote:But I've never seen a fat sexy leopard elevator naked, what do I do when I'm not aroused?
User avatar
iamgoat
Metal God
Posts: 8164
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44
Location: above highest of highs, below lowest of lows

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby iamgoat » 20 Mar 2020, 02:15

Nick wrote:I would like some of these hypothetical proposed but not law yet euros
User avatar
arborist shrub tarkington
Postwhore
Posts: 72839
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby arborist shrub tarkington » 20 Mar 2020, 02:31

in order of both general efficacy and vigorous selfishness i would rank the nine proposals as follows

sanders
waters
omar
ryan / khanna
bennet / booker / brown
getting punched in the face
hawley
getting kicked in the balls and handed a warm wine cooler
mnumbnuts
reliving the entire 2016 election
romney
looking at tim cotton's o-face
cotton
rhino wrote:like transgression but good
User avatar
Josh
Postwhore
Posts: 43077
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: Wouldst thou like the taste of butter and pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Josh » 20 Mar 2020, 05:47

Found out this afternoon that my supervisors wife works with a lady who tested positive this morning along with her child. So naturally I’m sure I’ll get it if it’s not currently festering inside me already. My previous 2 collapsed lungs should have fun with this.

Of course I called my doctors office. I was told to go to the ER because they don’t have the capabilities to test for it. Turns out the ER won’t even see you unless you’re running a temp of 101+ because of the test shortages.

And to rub salt in the wound, because of the news today only my specific department in my office is quarantining starting tomorrow and working from home. Naturally you’d think that would include yours truly but nope, they want me to still go in tomorrow for a full day (8-5) to answer any direct line calls even though he’s having the receptionist at the front forward any calls to his cell. And they know about my 2 collapsed lungs.

I guess it’s like a rookie hazing thing except with weak lungs and probable death instead of a swirly.
User avatar
Hitoshura
Metal God
Posts: 19811
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Hitoshura » 20 Mar 2020, 07:10

arborist shrub tarkington wrote:
Skinfection wrote:
jorsh wrote:(jorsh's preferred insult here) and Willard want to give everyone $1,000! Dirty socialists!

I texted this to my cousin who’s a huge trumptard and it and I enjoyed it immensely.

“That is gross and such bullshit. As soon as this bullshit is done the economy and will boom back like a m.otherfucker. It’s going to be cool to watch.”

:gaylol:::::::


Did you hear Kamala Harris say she wanted to give everyone $500? She's from the bay area, which is more expensive than LA. What a joke.

Biden had better not pick her for his VP.


$500 a month homie


for a married couple, it's $250 per person
User avatar
User
Metal God
Posts: 9855
Joined: 14 Aug 2014, 13:18
Location: Unknown

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby User » 20 Mar 2020, 09:49

california locking shit down

still no word here in myanmar, zero cases :huh:
more metal
User avatar
Skinfection
Metal God
Posts: 17632
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 11:02
Location: California
Contact:

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Skinfection » 20 Mar 2020, 10:03

Newsom just ordered everything except basically grocery stores and pharmacies to close for a month until we see where things are. He also asked the president for a military ship to use for a hospital.
User avatar
Nick
Postwhore
Posts: 52919
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Nick » 20 Mar 2020, 10:10

Hitoshura wrote:
arborist shrub tarkington wrote:
Skinfection wrote:
jorsh wrote:(jorsh's preferred insult here) and Willard want to give everyone $1,000! Dirty socialists!

I texted this to my cousin who’s a huge trumptard and it and I enjoyed it immensely.

“That is gross and such bullshit. As soon as this bullshit is done the economy and will boom back like a m.otherfucker. It’s going to be cool to watch.”

:gaylol:::::::


Did you hear Kamala Harris say she wanted to give everyone $500? She's from the bay area, which is more expensive than LA. What a joke.

Biden had better not pick her for his VP.


$500 a month homie


for a married couple, it's $250 per person


I was starting to think $500 per person would be absolute ridiculous especially for people unable to work!
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.


Ninny wrote:But I've never seen a fat sexy leopard elevator naked, what do I do when I'm not aroused?
User avatar
Hitoshura
Metal God
Posts: 19811
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Hitoshura » 20 Mar 2020, 10:12

hey skinno is your governor related to joanna newsom
User avatar
Skinfection
Metal God
Posts: 17632
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 11:02
Location: California
Contact:

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Skinfection » 20 Mar 2020, 12:54

Apparently they're second cousins twice removed :redneck:
User avatar
arborist shrub tarkington
Postwhore
Posts: 72839
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby arborist shrub tarkington » 20 Mar 2020, 13:40

Hitoshura wrote:
arborist shrub tarkington wrote:
Skinfection wrote:
jorsh wrote:(jorsh's preferred insult here) and Willard want to give everyone $1,000! Dirty socialists!

I texted this to my cousin who’s a huge trumptard and it and I enjoyed it immensely.

“That is gross and such bullshit. As soon as this bullshit is done the economy and will boom back like a m.otherfucker. It’s going to be cool to watch.”

:gaylol:::::::


Did you hear Kamala Harris say she wanted to give everyone $500? She's from the bay area, which is more expensive than LA. What a joke.

Biden had better not pick her for his VP.


$500 a month homie


for a married couple, it's $250 per person


that bill isn’t included anywhere else i’ve seen lists of proposals so i have decided to drop it out of my mind like an orange peel on a freeway
rhino wrote:like transgression but good
User avatar
shadowalk
Metal God
Posts: 11955
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:16
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby shadowalk » 21 Mar 2020, 14:07

hey ryan
Image
User avatar
arborist shrub tarkington
Postwhore
Posts: 72839
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby arborist shrub tarkington » 21 Mar 2020, 16:09

i thought jorsh and stormy would rank the relief plans with me

bizarre times
rhino wrote:like transgression but good
User avatar
zim
Zim(a)
Posts: 22075
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
Location: US

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby zim » 22 Mar 2020, 02:38

first case confirmed in my town today
User avatar
Josh
Postwhore
Posts: 43077
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: Wouldst thou like the taste of butter and pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Josh » 22 Mar 2020, 02:55

Just tried ordering groceries for delivery but the soonest time available is Thursday night :gaylol:

Doing pickup tomorrow at noon
User avatar
Skinfection
Metal God
Posts: 17632
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 11:02
Location: California
Contact:

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Skinfection » 22 Mar 2020, 03:02

California is going to have to do it's own stimulus or rent/utility forgiveness soon or else so many people will be screwed.
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 5826
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Paste Human » 22 Mar 2020, 07:04

I came down with a fever on Wednesday night. Long story short I was ordered by HR to stay home until 72 hours after the symptoms go away, so I'll be back on Monday. I've never had a fever that only lasted 16 hours with no other symptoms, so I have no idea what that was.

I don't really have a strong opinion about what we should and shouldn't be doing, but this op-ed from the NY Times by a Doctor from Yale sounds pretty reasonable (and refreshingly non-partisan) to me:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opin ... ncing.html

It's not terribly long, but here's the abridged version I originally read that focuses on the key points:

The data from South Korea, where tracking the coronavirus has been by far the best to date, indicate that as much as 99 percent of active cases in the general population are “mild” and do not require specific medical treatment. The small percentage of cases that do require such services are highly concentrated among those age 60 and older, and further so the older people are. Other things being equal, those over age 70 appear at three times the mortality risk as those age 60 to 69, and those over age 80 at nearly twice the mortality risk of those age 70 to 79.

These conclusions are corroborated by the data from Wuhan, China, which show a higher death rate, but an almost identical distribution. The higher death rate in China may be real, but is perhaps a result of less widespread testing. South Korea promptly, and uniquely, started testing the apparently healthy population at large, finding the mild and asymptomatic cases of Covid-19 other countries are overlooking. The experience of the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which houses a contained, older population, proves the point. The death rate among that insular and uniformly exposed population is roughly 1 percent...

We have, to date, fewer than 200 deaths from the coronavirus in the United States — a small data set from which to draw big conclusions. Still, it is entirely aligned with the data from other countries. The deaths have been mainly clustered among the elderly, those with significant chronic illnesses such as diabetes and heart disease, and those in both groups...

The clustering of complications and death from Covid-19 among the elderly and chronically ill, but not children (there have been only very rare deaths in children), suggests that we could achieve the crucial goals of social distancing — saving lives and not overwhelming our medical system — by preferentially protecting the medically frail and those over age 60, and in particular those over 70 and 80, from exposure.

Why does this matter?

I am deeply concerned that the social, economic and public health consequences of this near total meltdown of normal life — schools and businesses closed, gatherings banned — will be long lasting and calamitous, possibly graver than the direct toll of the virus itself. The stock market will bounce back in time, but many businesses never will. The unemployment, impoverishment and despair likely to result will be public health scourges of the first order...

Such is the collateral damage of this diffuse form of warfare, aimed at “flattening” the epidemic curve generally rather than preferentially protecting the especially vulnerable. I believe we may be ineffectively fighting the contagion even as we are causing economic fall down in a giant display of homosexuality.

There is another and much overlooked liability in this approach. If we succeed in slowing the spread of coronavirus from torrent to trickle, then when does the society-wide disruption end? When will it be safe for healthy children and younger teachers to return to school, much less older teachers and teachers with chronic illnesses? When will it be safe for the work force to repopulate the workplace, given that some are in the at-risk group for severe infection?

When would it be safe to visit loved ones in nursing homes or hospitals? When once again might grandparents pick up their grandchildren?

There are many possible answers, but the most likely one is: We just don’t know. We could wait until there’s an effective treatment, a vaccine or transmission rates fall to undetectable levels. But what if those are a year or more away? Then we suffer the full extent of societal disruption the virus might cause for all those months. The costs, not just in money, are staggering to contemplate.

So what is the alternative? Well, we could focus our resources on testing and protecting, in every way possible, all those people the data indicate are especially vulnerable to severe infection: the elderly, people with chronic diseases and the immunologically compromised. Those that test positive could be the first to receive the first approved antivirals. The majority, testing negative, could benefit from every resource we have to shield them from exposure...

If we were to focus on the especially vulnerable, there would be resources to keep them at home, provide them with needed services and coronavirus testing, and direct our medical system to their early care. I would favor proactive rather than reactive testing in this group, and early use of the most promising anti-viral drugs. This cannot be done under current policies, as we spread our relatively few test kits across the expanse of a whole population, made all the more anxious because society has shut down.

This focus on a much smaller portion of the population would allow most of society to return to life as usual and perhaps prevent vast segments of the economy from collapsing. Healthy children could return to school and healthy adults go back to their jobs. Theaters and restaurants could reopen, though we might be wise to avoid very large social gatherings like stadium sporting events and concerts.

So long as we were protecting the truly vulnerable, a sense of calm could be restored to society. Just as important, society as a whole could develop natural herd immunity to the virus. The vast majority of people would develop mild coronavirus infections, while medical resources could focus on those who fell critically ill. Once the wider population had been exposed and, if infected, had recovered and gained natural immunity, the risk to the most vulnerable would fall dramatically.

A pivot right now from trying to protect all people to focusing on the most vulnerable remains entirely plausible. With each passing day, however, it becomes more difficult. The path we are on may well lead to uncontained viral contagion and monumental collateral damage to our society and economy. A more surgical approach is what we need.
User avatar
Hitoshura
Metal God
Posts: 19811
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Hitoshura » 22 Mar 2020, 08:02

arborist shrub tarkington wrote:i thought jorsh and stormy would rank the relief plans with me

bizarre times


all woefully inadequate

the fact that ihe UK tory government's relief policies are far, far to the left of what the democratic leadership is offering is a total fucking disgrace. mcconnell is about to give away trillions in unrestricted bailouts to multinationals and megacorps and the dems are going to acquiesce for a few token scraps for workers, the unemployed, the poor and the vulnerable. the total lack of competence and complete failure to even remotely address the scope of this crisis should discredit the party and its leaders for generations to come.
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Metal God
Posts: 17813
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » 22 Mar 2020, 08:26

The wife and I have been meaning to do it for awhile but finally decided to just get it over with...
we filled out our last will and testament, healthcare directive, and power of attorney and named each other as well as our respective siblings as beneficiaries and executors. Just have to sign and get it notarized. Hopefully we don’t need this shit anytime soon - but figure better to have it then not. When my MIL died she didn’t have a will and while everything was civil it was still a royal pain in the ass trying to figure everything out.
Light years quasar as a patch of light gathered by gravity Vangelis radio telescope Stirred by starlight vanquish the impossible Tunguska event cosmic fugue courage of our questions worldlets galaxies birth colonies Vastness is bearable only through love.
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Metal God
Posts: 17813
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » 22 Mar 2020, 08:49

Paste Human wrote:I came down with a fever on Wednesday night. Long story short I was ordered by HR to stay home until 72 hours after the symptoms go away, so I'll be back on Monday. I've never had a fever that only lasted 16 hours with no other symptoms, so I have no idea what that was.

I don't really have a strong opinion about what we should and shouldn't be doing, but this op-ed from the NY Times by a Doctor from Yale sounds pretty reasonable (and refreshingly non-partisan) to me:


https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opin ... ncing.html

It's not terribly long, but here's the abridged version I originally read that focuses on the key points:



Best case scenario perhaps. This was posted yesterday and deaths increased from “just below 200” to 307 today. It’s exponential which is alarming to say the least.
Light years quasar as a patch of light gathered by gravity Vangelis radio telescope Stirred by starlight vanquish the impossible Tunguska event cosmic fugue courage of our questions worldlets galaxies birth colonies Vastness is bearable only through love.
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 5826
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Paste Human » 22 Mar 2020, 08:58

Right, but the way I see it that might even bolster his central point, which is essentially to focus our attention on those who are most vulnerable to death and/or severe complications, which seems to be a pretty well defined group. Freeing up time and resources to be proactive with them makes sense to me. It might be too late to make that big of a pivot - and of course maybe he's wrong - but the reasoning struck me as more sound than anything else I can think of that I've heard thus far.
User avatar
Hitoshura
Metal God
Posts: 19811
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Hitoshura » 22 Mar 2020, 09:32

that yale hard-on bearer's take is insane. the whole point of enacting draconian social restrictions is because you can't protect the vulnerable from a deadly pandemic if you allow everything to carry on normally. it assumes that just because it doesn't kill a lot of people under the age of 60 that the disease is a mild inconvenience at worst. an assumption so obviously stupid and wrong that it doesn't merit even a cursory rebuttal.

not that it wasn't obviously apparent already from decades of elite malfeasance from lanyard-clad assholes with fancy top-flight credentials, but jesus christ ivy league educations are worse than useless, they're actively harmful!

i'm gonna go out on a limb and assume he's a fellow at some free market fundamentalist think-tank, or otherwise has some significant material stake in maintaining the insane neoliberal order that's going to probably wind up killing millions.
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 5826
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Paste Human » 22 Mar 2020, 09:39

I guess I'm not as educated on this as you are, but what part of referring to South Korea did he get wrong? And note that that is a real example with real data 100% related to this specific issue.

Also keep in mind that I'm in the lowest risk group, and my employment has not been affected. Maybe I have a different point of view because of that.

Edit: in case it wasn't clear, the points made in the article that I was most drawn to involved the prospect of enacting a more nuanced approach to this based on what seem to be relatively robust sets of data. Put another way: South Korea went way overboard with testing, so maybe we can examine what they found and determine that we don't have to use up as many resources on that. On the other hand, maybe not. It might come down to something as simple as population density and/or demographics.

At any rate, working toward finding ways to help those most in need of medical attention (the elderly and those with underlying health issues) while enabling the younger working population to remain productive seems like a much more worthwhile (and possibly even less resource intensive) aim than simply locking everything down. Let me know if I'm missing something here, but urging (or maybe even forcing) those at risk to stay at home seems quite a bit easier and more sensible than expecting practically everyone to do it.

And again, maybe it will make sense for some of the more densely populated areas to resort of that.

Still, I feel for the people who can't work and all the small businesses that will close for good because of this - especially if it turns out to have been largely unnecessary.
User avatar
User
Metal God
Posts: 9855
Joined: 14 Aug 2014, 13:18
Location: Unknown

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby User » 22 Mar 2020, 12:31

i bought slightly more groceries than i normally would again

:suss:
more metal
User avatar
shadowalk
Metal God
Posts: 11955
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:16
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby shadowalk » 22 Mar 2020, 12:36

hey luke...now that everyone's stuck at home doing nothing and with all the lunacy in the world right now

perhaps it's time for hellcunt to make a comeback? :alien:
User avatar
arborist shrub tarkington
Postwhore
Posts: 72839
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby arborist shrub tarkington » 22 Mar 2020, 18:14

Hitoshura wrote:
arborist shrub tarkington wrote:i thought jorsh and stormy would rank the relief plans with me

bizarre times


all woefully inadequate

the fact that ihe UK tory government's relief policies are far, far to the left of what the democratic leadership is offering is a total fucking disgrace. mcconnell is about to give away trillions in unrestricted bailouts to multinationals and megacorps and the dems are going to acquiesce for a few token scraps for workers, the unemployed, the poor and the vulnerable. the total lack of competence and complete failure to even remotely address the scope of this crisis should discredit the party and its leaders for generations to come.


now tell me how you'll spend your relief money
rhino wrote:like transgression but good
User avatar
zim
Zim(a)
Posts: 22075
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
Location: US

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby zim » 22 Mar 2020, 18:28

fresh jawns :idea:
User avatar
arborist shrub tarkington
Postwhore
Posts: 72839
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby arborist shrub tarkington » 22 Mar 2020, 19:29

:hard-on bearer:
rhino wrote:like transgression but good
User avatar
iamgoat
Metal God
Posts: 8164
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44
Location: above highest of highs, below lowest of lows

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby iamgoat » 22 Mar 2020, 19:47

arborist shrub tarkington wrote::hard-on bearer:


Come grace us with your soothing voice dusty

https://discord.gg/ztBb6mE
User avatar
arborist shrub tarkington
Postwhore
Posts: 72839
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby arborist shrub tarkington » 22 Mar 2020, 21:21

my voice sounds like a bear librarian falling asleep on a long-distance call
rhino wrote:like transgression but good
User avatar
User
Metal God
Posts: 9855
Joined: 14 Aug 2014, 13:18
Location: Unknown

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby User » 22 Mar 2020, 21:26

HELLCUNT requires a second person for camera man :suss:
more metal
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 5826
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Paste Human » 23 Mar 2020, 07:26

arborist shrub tarkington wrote:
Hitoshura wrote:
arborist shrub tarkington wrote:i thought jorsh and stormy would rank the relief plans with me

bizarre times


all woefully inadequate

the fact that ihe UK tory government's relief policies are far, far to the left of what the democratic leadership is offering is a total fucking disgrace. mcconnell is about to give away trillions in unrestricted bailouts to multinationals and megacorps and the dems are going to acquiesce for a few token scraps for workers, the unemployed, the poor and the vulnerable. the total lack of competence and complete failure to even remotely address the scope of this crisis should discredit the party and its leaders for generations to come.


now tell me how you'll spend your relief money


I'm going to buy happiness :gay:
User avatar
Nick
Postwhore
Posts: 52919
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Nick » 23 Mar 2020, 07:50

My state might be headed for a shelter in place order tomorrow. Governer has got a press conference at 11am and all the states around us are locking down too.
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.


Ninny wrote:But I've never seen a fat sexy leopard elevator naked, what do I do when I'm not aroused?
User avatar
User
Metal God
Posts: 9855
Joined: 14 Aug 2014, 13:18
Location: Unknown

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby User » 23 Mar 2020, 10:07

i have inside information the government is suppressing cases here and a lockdown will happen in the next few days once the constitutional amendment process does its crap in the parliament

as of this morning, everything is still chill as fuck outside. i went out and bought another 100L of drinking water, some biscuits.
more metal
User avatar
Nick
Postwhore
Posts: 52919
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Nick » 23 Mar 2020, 10:09

No plans to escape to your homelands?
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.


Ninny wrote:But I've never seen a fat sexy leopard elevator naked, what do I do when I'm not aroused?
User avatar
Hitoshura
Metal God
Posts: 19811
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Hitoshura » 23 Mar 2020, 10:28

arborist shrub tarkington wrote:
Hitoshura wrote:
arborist shrub tarkington wrote:i thought jorsh and stormy would rank the relief plans with me

bizarre times


all woefully inadequate

the fact that ihe UK tory government's relief policies are far, far to the left of what the democratic leadership is offering is a total fucking disgrace. mcconnell is about to give away trillions in unrestricted bailouts to multinationals and megacorps and the dems are going to acquiesce for a few token scraps for workers, the unemployed, the poor and the vulnerable. the total lack of competence and complete failure to even remotely address the scope of this crisis should discredit the party and its leaders for generations to come.


now tell me how you'll spend your relief money


if i get those sweet sweet 2000 bernie bucks a month i'm paying off all my consumer debt ($15k between car payments and CC bills) and loading up on jawns once sale season hits in a month or two. rick's SS20 tecuatl collection has an absolutely insane number of bangers and i am absolutely trying to buy as many as i can once prices drop.

not banking on any of the aforementioned though, so i'm just gonna carry on normally.

i'm tremendously lucky to not have any interruption in my income or employment thus far. as of this afternoon, my work has now closed all administrative locations indefinitely, all back office staff are now assigned to work remotely. branches are still staffed but only drive-up locations are operational to the public, and only for drive-up and adam functions. most of their staff are going to assist in support functions i guess. i'm going into the office tomorrow morning to get my remote gear and they've topped me up with 2 weeks of sick pay. our VPN is still fucked so i won't be operational for a while yet but i'm still getting paid.

sincerely hope everyone here is gonna make it out of this intact :santa:
User avatar
Hitoshura
Metal God
Posts: 19811
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Hitoshura » 23 Mar 2020, 11:02

Paste Human wrote:I guess I'm not as educated on this as you are, but what part of referring to South Korea did he get wrong? And note that that is a real example with real data 100% related to this specific issue.

Also keep in mind that I'm in the lowest risk group, and my employment has not been affected. Maybe I have a different point of view because of that.

Edit: in case it wasn't clear, the points made in the article that I was most drawn to involved the prospect of enacting a more nuanced approach to this based on what seem to be relatively robust sets of data. Put another way: South Korea went way overboard with testing, so maybe we can examine what they found and determine that we don't have to use up as many resources on that. On the other hand, maybe not. It might come down to something as simple as population density and/or demographics.

At any rate, working toward finding ways to help those most in need of medical attention (the elderly and those with underlying health issues) while enabling the younger working population to remain productive seems like a much more worthwhile (and possibly even less resource intensive) aim than simply locking everything down. Let me know if I'm missing something here, but urging (or maybe even forcing) those at risk to stay at home seems quite a bit easier and more sensible than expecting practically everyone to do it.

And again, maybe it will make sense for some of the more densely populated areas to resort of that.

Still, I feel for the people who can't work and all the small businesses that will close for good because of this - especially if it turns out to have been largely unnecessary.


i should be clear here that i am a big time dumbass and my objection is mainly on the grounds that this dude's advocacy appears to be primarily economics-based, which i think is absolutely nuts given the gravity of the situation. the motivation seems to be primarily based on maintaining GDP trajectories and keeping as many people working as possible so that financial markets continue to operate normally and generate returns for investors, almost all of whom are already wealthy and will be just fine once the dust settles. these are not the people the world should be calibrating its response around!

on a slightly more technical level, my main objection is that you can't draw an equivalence between the SK response and what the US should do, because our systems are fundamentally different. everything healthcare in the US is channeled through for-profit businesses (including hospital systems which mostly are nominally non-profit, but involve complex business arrangements with privately-owned practices increasingly held by PE funds, and those non-profit designations rely on a lot of accounting pittsburgh showdown; the actual beneficial owners are reaping massive profits despite their organizations' tax status) and relies on their cooperation, and we have a political economy that is resistant to acting in any capacity except to protect corporate incomes and profits. that all dictates how people interact with the healthcare system; people who need to seek treatment won't seek treatment if it's going to put them into debt or if they're (justifiably) worried they're going to be turned away based on ability to pay.

i don't think we have the legal or administrative structures in place to accomplish a more granular policy on who gets to do what like SK can. we have extremely concentrated populations of people who are either physically or economically vulnerable, overlap between the two, and no real way to cope with either scenario in terms of our social safety net's capacity.

IMO the only sensible thing to do in the US is to just call a total moratorium on all personal financial outflows (rents, mortgage payments, utility payments, consumer debt, etc.), provide income for everyone to ensure they can obtain necessary goods, provide businesses with grants or interest-free loans to keep the supply chains that provide those necessary goods intact, and order everyone to stay home save for going out to obtain those necessary goods, for as long as it takes for this to become manageable.

probably none of that made any sense i've been drinking a lot the last week but anyway those are my some of my thoughts and thanks for listening
User avatar
iamgoat
Metal God
Posts: 8164
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44
Location: above highest of highs, below lowest of lows

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby iamgoat » 23 Mar 2020, 11:13

We're still not in lockdown but Belgium is. Can't cross the border now and you risk a 4000 euro fine if you get gas there since its cheaper than here i. NL.

Just keeping my distance as much as possible, walking the doggo as always in the woods here and have been working from home anyway. I'm very happy and lucky that my job is safe. My gf's isn't though... and we do rely on each others income as we still live from paycheck to paycheck.
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 5826
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Paste Human » 23 Mar 2020, 11:17

Hitoshura wrote:
Paste Human wrote:I guess I'm not as educated on this as you are, but what part of referring to South Korea did he get wrong? And note that that is a real example with real data 100% related to this specific issue.

Also keep in mind that I'm in the lowest risk group, and my employment has not been affected. Maybe I have a different point of view because of that.

Edit: in case it wasn't clear, the points made in the article that I was most drawn to involved the prospect of enacting a more nuanced approach to this based on what seem to be relatively robust sets of data. Put another way: South Korea went way overboard with testing, so maybe we can examine what they found and determine that we don't have to use up as many resources on that. On the other hand, maybe not. It might come down to something as simple as population density and/or demographics.

At any rate, working toward finding ways to help those most in need of medical attention (the elderly and those with underlying health issues) while enabling the younger working population to remain productive seems like a much more worthwhile (and possibly even less resource intensive) aim than simply locking everything down. Let me know if I'm missing something here, but urging (or maybe even forcing) those at risk to stay at home seems quite a bit easier and more sensible than expecting practically everyone to do it.

And again, maybe it will make sense for some of the more densely populated areas to resort of that.

Still, I feel for the people who can't work and all the small businesses that will close for good because of this - especially if it turns out to have been largely unnecessary.


i should be clear here that i am a big time dumbass and my objection is mainly on the grounds that this dude's advocacy appears to be primarily economics-based, which i think is absolutely nuts given the gravity of the situation. the motivation seems to be primarily based on maintaining GDP trajectories and keeping as many people working as possible so that financial markets continue to operate normally and generate returns for investors, almost all of whom are already wealthy and will be just fine once the dust settles. these are not the people the world should be calibrating its response around!

on a slightly more technical level, my main objection is that you can't draw an equivalence between the SK response and what the US should do, because our systems are fundamentally different. everything healthcare in the US is channeled through for-profit businesses (including hospital systems which mostly are nominally non-profit, but involve complex business arrangements with privately-owned practices increasingly held by PE funds, and those non-profit designations rely on a lot of accounting pittsburgh showdown; the actual beneficial owners are reaping massive profits despite their organizations' tax status) and relies on their cooperation, and we have a political economy that is resistant to acting in any capacity except to protect corporate incomes and profits. that all dictates how people interact with the healthcare system; people who need to seek treatment won't seek treatment if it's going to put them into debt or if they're (justifiably) worried they're going to be turned away based on ability to pay.

i don't think we have the legal or administrative structures in place to accomplish a more granular policy on who gets to do what like SK can. we have extremely concentrated populations of people who are either physically or economically vulnerable, overlap between the two, and no real way to cope with either scenario in terms of our social safety net's capacity.

IMO the only sensible thing to do in the US is to just call a total moratorium on all personal financial outflows (rents, mortgage payments, utility payments, consumer debt, etc.), provide income for everyone to ensure they can obtain necessary goods, provide businesses with grants or interest-free loans to keep the supply chains that provide those necessary goods intact, and order everyone to stay home save for going out to obtain those necessary goods, for as long as it takes for this to become manageable.

probably none of that made any sense i've been drinking a lot the last week but anyway those are my some of my thoughts and thanks for listening


You've brought up quite a bit there, and most of it seems like an argument for another time - one that would almost certainly end in agreeing that we disagree about certain things on a fundamental level. Broad issues like how society is to be arranged. Things that never go over well on a forum.

My point remains that with a few exceptions it appears as though we could get through this without disrupting the lives of millions of working age Americans who are in good health. I guess that article didn't read as an aspie bean counter rant to me, but rather a practical prediction that the economic fallout will probably be much worse for a lot of people than having the sniffles for a few days ever could be.

And I guess if this helps address a lot of everything else you had to say, I would never live in a socialist country unless I couldn't escape or if it was entirely made up of a shared ethnicity (I'm not too interested in that either) but I do believe that the world is going to need a debt jubilee at some point. Mathematically it has to happen. From there I think we'll say goodbye to one country having the reserve currency. I guess it depends on where you live and what assets you have as far as whether that's a good or a bad thing, but it's going to happen.
User avatar
Hitoshura
Metal God
Posts: 19811
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Hitoshura » 23 Mar 2020, 11:39

fair enough. ultimately i think we differ temperamentally. i like to think of myself as a socialist; probably more accurately, a leftist of indeterminate tendency. you strike me as a libertarian. i have nothing but contempt for libertarianism, which has been rife in our elite for decades and as such is at least partially responsible for our current dismal circumstances. to be absolutely clear though, i do not reserve that contempt for most of its practitioners, i think they (and you!) are mostly well-meaning but get the details & ideology horrifically wrong.

the ivy leaguers (and this applies equally to the belanyarded assholes in the liberal & traditionally-conservative spheres as well) are a different story of course
User avatar
Josh
Postwhore
Posts: 43077
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: Wouldst thou like the taste of butter and pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Re: coronavirus in this region

Postby Josh » 23 Mar 2020, 11:52

I like when paste talks about death metal and fedex

Return to “Necro's Bar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests