I am officially employed again

Shoot the shit with other metal folk. Free discussion on any topic that doesn't suit the other forums. Avoid mentioning carpet.
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

I am officially employed again

Post by droidspawn »

Start Monday. Last 13 months doing fuck all and it’s been amazing but I need income. It’s a freight logistics company about 12 miles west of Fargo called valley express. Only reason I got the job let alone even an interview is my best fellating lover since college used to work there until about 10 years ago. He still talks to the owner weekly and does odd IT jobs (server shit) on the side. Phone interviewed last Friday and went face to face Monday. Shadowed in my department yesterday and signed the paperwork today. Pay is lower than I’d hoped but after 3 months I’ll get a raise.

The owner apparently told my buddy he’s gonna work me up through the company and groom me to take over for the VP that’s retiring next December. I shit myself when I heard that. They brought in 77 million last year. 13 offices in the US (headquartered here in Fargo) and do business all over the globe. It’s insane how much the owner trusts my buddies opinion/recommendations. He got another hard-on bearer hired there a few years back and now he’s the finance officer and makes 90k. My title is Intermodal Logistics Coordinator. M-F 8-5 no weekends. An actual career with advancement opportunities! and most importantly, not retail.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Re: I am officially employed again

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Congrats my dude :santa:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Thanks dudes. Beyond stoked.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

congrats man, hope it works out well
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

This sounds like a cool job :xx: :santa:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Nick wrote:Congrats my dude :santa:

hows the new warranty jobber going?
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

oh and intermodal where ill be working is strictly the cargo containers like season two of the wire :xx:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

jorsh wrote:

Getting into the swing of things still, I've never used the software we use for everything, so it's been a of bit of a learning curve remembering where all the screens are I need to use. Shit was all out of whack when I got in there though. The sexy leopard elevator I trained with was running her store, covering mine and helping out the people at the new store when they had questions. So a lot of shit is backed up and I've found things that got completely forgotten about. Me and the service manager have made quite a few changes on just how things get done and it's made a big difference. The service side is fairly small (5 people total) but everyone gets along well and we've got a ton of work coming up.

I like the job all well and good but I'm waiting to see how the commission checks shake out over the next few months.
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

fuck yeah jorsh :xx: congrats dude
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

jorsh wrote:oh and intermodal where ill be working is strictly the cargo containers like season two of the wire :xx:
Sea containers :idea:

Next thing you know you'll be stepping out of line against Ott and running for election for a 2nd term as treasurer of the international brotherhood of stevedores.
Ninny wrote:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Nick wrote:
jorsh wrote:oh and intermodal where ill be working is strictly the cargo containers like season two of the wire :xx:

Next thing you know you'll be stepping out of line against Ott and running for election for a 2nd term as treasurer of the international brotherhood of stevedores.
Yep. I’ll be dealing with it all. Rail, shiplines, and semis.We do air as well but that’s a different department. There’s a fuckton to learn. The supervisor said its a tough job and it has a high turnover rate but I can’t afford to quit so I’ll have to pick it up quick and get used to the pressure. It’s exciting.
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Nick wrote:
jorsh wrote:

Getting into the swing of things still, I've never used the software we use for everything, so it's been a of bit of a learning curve remembering where all the screens are I need to use. Shit was all out of whack when I got in there though. The sexy leopard elevator I trained with was running her store, covering mine and helping out the people at the new store when they had questions. So a lot of shit is backed up and I've found things that got completely forgotten about. Me and the service manager have made quite a few changes on just how things get done and it's made a big difference. The service side is fairly small (5 people total) but everyone gets along well and we've got a ton of work coming up.

I like the job all well and good but I'm waiting to see how the commission checks shake out over the next few months.
:xx: making a different right away should put you in their good graces at the very least. Hopefully leading to sizable raises.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

change the name to :xx: valley xPrezz :xx:
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

are you drunk :gaylol:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

jorsh wrote:
Nick wrote:
jorsh wrote:

:xx: making a different right away should put you in their good graces at the very least. Hopefully leading to sizable raises.
Some of it was just sensible, like using the big ass dry erase board in the office to track all the tickets. There's not much room for a traditional raise since I make a percentage of the gross off of parts and service. The more work I can hustle in and out of their the more I make basically.
Ninny wrote:
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

jorsh wrote:Shadowed in my department yesterday
:alone:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Nick wrote:
jorsh wrote:
Nick wrote:
jorsh wrote:

Some of it was just sensible, like using the big ass dry erase board in the office to track all the tickets. There's not much room for a traditional raise since I make a percentage of the gross off of parts and service. The more work I can hustle in and out of their the more I make basically.

ahhh. Well in that case, sell sell sell!
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

jorsh wrote:
Nick wrote:

Yep. I’ll be dealing with it all. Rail, shiplines, and semis.We do air as well but that’s a different department. There’s a fuckton to learn. The supervisor said its a tough job and it has a high turnover rate but I can’t afford to quit so I’ll have to pick it up quick and get used to the pressure. It’s exciting.
I've known a few people in international sales for freight contracts and someone who did a job elsewhere with international shipping. It' sounded like a lot to learn with tariffs and everything but it sounds like if you stick with it you can eventually hit your stride. We're currently trying to sort out issues of freight that hasn't been cleared to enter Canada making it there anyway. I think the fine is something like $3000 per violation.

One of the sales people at my center used to work a lot with shipping containers. She didn't give an exact number and I was too shy to ask, but she said there's a staggering amount of those things estimated to be sitting on the bottom of the ocean. For some reason the thought of that has always cracked me up - e.g. a full iving room set sitting in the Mariana trench.
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Paste Human wrote:
jorsh wrote:
Nick wrote:

I've known a few people in international sales for freight contracts and someone who did a job elsewhere with international shipping. It' sounded like a lot to learn with tariffs and everything but it sounds like if you stick with it you can eventually hit your stride. We're currently trying to sort out issues of freight that hasn't been cleared to enter Canada making it there anyway. I think the fine is something like $3000 per violation.

One of the sales people at my center used to work a lot with shipping containers. She didn't give an exact number and I was too shy to ask, but she said there's a staggering amount of those things estimated to be sitting on the bottom of the ocean. For some reason the thought of that has always cracked me up - e.g. a full iving room set sitting in the Mariana trench.
They didn’t mention anything about tariffs in my interview or when I shadowed. It’s not a sales position. They apparently hired another new hard-on bearer for that.
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Here’s my job description.
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

A great hard-on bearer I used to used to work with transferred down to KCY to do something similar, except I think with fewer tasks. I think his duties were more along the lines of determining which outside contractors we would used based on spot prices, when to put stuff on the rails over the weekend, where to send empty rail containers, etc. I asked a fellating lover of his how he liked it and it sounded like a things were going really well, so hopefully this goes in that direction for you.

One thing I like about dealing with freight is how straightforward everything tends to be. Move it from point A to point B in X amount of time, and try to get it there undamaged. You also meet a lot of characters in that line of work. Hope this works out for you :santa:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Thanks man :santa:

There’s a shit ton of people involved in the daily movement of just one container. Going to be a lot of memorization and being as cordial as possible to freight forwarders, drivers, etc. every day.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Excellent news!! :thingy:
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

jorsh wrote:Thanks man :santa:

There’s a shit ton of people involved in the daily movement of just one container. Going to be a lot of memorization and being as cordial as possible to freight forwarders, drivers, etc. every day.
It's pretty amazing how much work goes into getting freight down the road, to the point that I'm surprised how inexpensive a lot of things are.

I've heard of Valley Express but I don't know anything about them. I'd actually be very surprised if I haven't personally moved equipment that ended up getting delivered to them.

If they do LTL I think you'll be surprised over what goes into packing out even a 28 foot trailer in the freight world. Full truckload would be hard to say, but it would probably be metal tables instead of the beams and boards that other companies use. Or stacked or floor loaded. Not that you'll be doing any of that. But it's a neat glimpse into what goes on behind the scenes.

I'm also hoping you don't have to deal with customers complaining about damages or late arrivals, because I've heard that can get rough. That's one reason I never got into city delivery. Some of that shit looks so bad that I don't think I could present it to the customer without very obviously trying not to laugh. FDX is pretty good about limiting that sort of thing, but when shit goes wrong it tends to go really wrong.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Keep a notepad handy so you don't have to try and remember everything that needs getting did :santa:
Ninny wrote:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Nick wrote:

Keep a notepad handy so you don't have to try and remember everything that needs getting did :santa:
I started taking notes when I shadowed. I have my own office but for the first week or two I’m going to be in the corner of my supervisors office just being a sponge then moving over to my office.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

good luck jorsh! sounds like a mad opportunity. step up to the pressure and plow through the tough times
more metal
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

remember to stock up on colored pencils
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø