my friends and i started playing magic again

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Re: my friends and i started playing pittsburgh showdown again

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Took them long enough to ban it
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

Hitoshura wrote:supreme verdict
this would be a good name for an omega supreme side project in rockconquest 2017

the kind of side project that eventually overwhelms the main band :shock:

and then the fucking world :bang:

:twisted:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

the whelming cannot be countered :idea:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

countering a whelming with a land card
rotating it forty five degrees

SLAM
more metal
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

land cards cannot counter things because lands can only be played during your main phase when the stack is empty, LUKE

:waa:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Isn't there a land that had a tap to counter unless they pay 1 generic
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

oh right yeah, you could definitely do it as an activated ability, i just read luke's post as playing a land in response :redneck:

anyway, i can't think of any lands with that specific ability, although there's one with the reverse -- boseiju allows you to tap and pay 2 life to get a colorless, which can be spent on an instant or sorcery to make it uncounterable
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Well at least you have to pay 2 life for it
Ninny wrote:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

only seven lives left :eek:
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

I had Antiques Roadshow on in the background earlier because I have no life, and it was pretty funny to me that the final appraisal (which is always the largest) was a set of original Magic cards. I don't know much of anything about that game or anything like it but a folder of original cards (they kept using the term beta) was estimated to retail at 75K. I wonder if there is a shitload of silicon valley money boosting that market, because those couldn't be more reproducible.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

:shock:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Paste Human wrote:I had Antiques Roadshow on in the background earlier because I have no life, and it was pretty funny to me that the final appraisal (which is always the largest) was a set of original pittsburgh showdown cards. I don't know much of anything about that game or anything like it but a folder of original cards (they kept using the term beta) was estimated to retail at 75K. I wonder if there is a shitload of silicon valley money boosting that market, because those couldn't be more reproducible.
Alpha and beta were essentially quick printed test runs of the game in mid 93 to get the game out to people after a big convention show. Unlimited was a reprint in late 93 that they fixed up borders, wording, errors and the like to meet demand since alpha and beta had sold out.

So alpha and beta had the smallest number runs and are about as original as original gets in the MTG world. I don't know how old that episode is or the condition of those cards, but a mint black lotus will run you north of $20k by itself last I saw.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah, a beta collection could crack $75k easy. if it's mint you can send them to BGS and get the choice pieces graded and prices skyrocket for exceptional grades. graded alpha/beta lotuses alone can break six figures (and they've moved at those prices within the last year, so they're not sitting either), and the the other graded power nine cards can fetch five figures no problem.

there are definitely some big money players in the high end market, but the ones that have the craziest collections i've seen are either in finance or have been in the MTG business since the early days.

counterfeits have existed forever, they're fine for playing but will never make it past a serious buyer. none of them are printed on the original equipment, so they're missing certain characteristics from that printing process that are trivial to spot with a cheap jeweler's loupe.

with all that said, with a global depression looming i'm guessing the high end market is gonna take a generous haircut. there could be a flood of duals and LEDs from panicked sellers that need to make rent/mortgage payments. if prices get pushed down enough i'll probably buy back in, but i'm not holding my breath.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

A lot of other cards from those used to be available relatively cheap for years. The power nine cards have always been overpriced and that goes back when I started playing in 96-97. A black lotus or a mox could be had in played condition for a few hundred if you did the leg work and found someone in a financial bind. I owned a bunch of cards from those early sets but not many of the big high dollar ones like dual lands or anything like that. Hell I had a good bunch of basic lands and those are $25 a piece nowadays.

I don't know if magic will survive a crash that bottoms out people's collections price wise. The game seemed liked it was struggling for awhile there before the commander shit kicked in and blew up the price of cards. If people sell off at way below current market value I'd imagine most people would be to damn depressed to pick it back up.
Ninny wrote:
Belial
Neophyte

Post by Belial »

Apologies for reviving a thread that died 5 years ago, but i thought it better to revive than clone a thread. i saw the Dark Ritual avvy in another thread so it got me thinking about MTG. Does anyone still play? I started playing in Unlimited until 98-99, dabbled a bit around 2012, and got back in during the pandemic. I'm not a fan of putting money into 1's and 0's with nothing to show for it on Arena, so there's a really easy way to play with physical cards over webcam on wizards.spelltable.com, you can even use a playtesting site if you're good with OBS.

I play EDH/commander and my decks vary from low power, casual/precon, or what i call Timmy cEDH. it's high power and competitive, but with Timmy wincons like Combat Damage. I have some infinite combos, but most involved 3 or more pieces that i need to untap with like Wilhelt's combo with Poppet Stitcher, 3 zombie tokens, a sacc outlet and a sacc payoff like Altar of Dementia or Viscera Seer and Blood Artist. I'm more like the kind of player who pulls ahead early and my 3 opponents gang up on me than i am the kind of player who goes under the radar and wins out of nowhere. You will see my wincons looming in the distance, but if you play right there are some vulnerabilities i left in and can be stopped. Boardwipes are for Cowards tho, just fuckin kill me.

i'd love to get a game with some magical postwhores if they're out there.
jawn galliano wrote:
25 Apr 2017, 09:55
land cards cannot counter things because lands can only be played during your main phase when the stack is empty, LUKE

:waa:
This isn't quite as true as it once was. We've always had activated abilities on lands, but now there are lands with spells attached.

I do realize your post predates the release of this card, but allow me to Introduce Boseiju, Who Endures. yeah, it's not a counterspell, but it is instant speed removal for artifacts, enchantments, and non-basic lands. this cycle is crazy, or at least the green one specifically. People already devote an entire card slot to cards like Naturalize, so a Naturalize that also can hit land for half as much mana would already be an auto-include, but they slapped it onto a land so it doesn't even take a spot away from your other spells, and it's still instant speed.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Re: my friends and i started playing magic again

I sold all my magic cards and picked up warhammer.

Pretty sure mtg still won.
Ninny wrote:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I still have all my MTG cards but have not played in years.
I feel that the old cards and rules are still the best and have the best artwork and overall vibe. The old MTG universe is amazing.

Then again, haven't followed anything MTG related in a long time.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

really severely pared back my magic playing these last few years, legacy weeklies in town died out even before I sold my duals and didn't enjoy playing competitively enough to make it worth the effort of going to further-flung events. I think I've played like, twice in the last year? once a month or so ago, jammed my cheapo legacy burn deck and my pile of jank mill deck. and sometime in the latter half of last year I played some duel commander with my neighbor, can't remember what deck 'cuz it was one of his