my friends and i started playing magic again

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
User
Metal God

Re: my friends and i started playing magic again

Post by User »

Is there a card for gecko technology?

http://www.enn.com/sci-tech/article/47753
more metal
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

There's no geckos in mtg
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

the gatherer confirms :judge:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I didn't have to look it up to know it :oldryan:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

Well, there should be.

:judge:
more metal
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Plenty of lizards however
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Spent most of my night at work trying to work out how to get my lorescale coatl/puzzle box/chasm skulker deck up and running. The only thing I really managed to do was add to the list of cards I could use in it :homework:
Ninny wrote:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

Although it has sacrifices associated with it your job has many perks Nick.

:cabby:
more metal
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i played against my other fellating lover's decks last night. he has a haphazard mill put together which only beat me once and at that it was by picking away with some shitty little flying creature. never came in danger of getting decked really, the only real concern i have with that deck is he's got grindclocks, which if they come out ASAP can build up to be threatening if i have a bad draw. every game i either extracted them, got a pithing needle, or an encrust so i didn't have to care much.

i stomped his mono green creature shitfuck deck in one set and then got stomped back in return in a subsequent one. that deck is one example where ensnaring bridge would really shine compared to the crawlspaces.

i'm currently debating whether or not i want to tweak this one further, or if i want to take the money i'd spend on that and build a different type :huh:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

If you spend time fucking around getting a deck to beat everything you'll have wasted money and the deck will be broken as fuck. I just make sure I've got defenses in place but not at a cost of derailing my win cons
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Nick" data-cid="505236" data-time="1409203733">
Spent most of my night at work trying to work out how to get my lorescale coatl/puzzle box/chasm skulker deck up and running. The only thing I really managed to do was add to the list of cards I could use in it :homework:</blockquote>

I'm getting nowhere with this shit. Time to put it on the back burner and build some other nonsense.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

picked up some new cards to sideboard for the mill setup to cover some weaknesses. traded a couple of bullshit green cards i'll never use to max out my surgicals and picked up a defense grid and ancestral vision. overall i'm pretty happy with the shape of it now, i may eventually make some tweaks to the mill section of the deck for efficiency/variety's sake, but i think i've got enough for it now that i can move on to building something new.

got a chance to go up against my fellating lover's counter/delve deck again tonight, and it was a lot more evenly matched. last game was probably the best i've ever played

turn 1 was a wash, i played a risky hand instead of taking a mulligan and dug for an island with evolving wilds

turn 2 brain freeze > 2x surgical to cut out counterspell and isochron scepter

then he got a delver up and transformed and shit went back and forth until i was down to one life, i had his delver locked down, but he tapped out to try and transform his ludevic. i stifled that, put up a pithing needle to neutralize it (and all of the others sitting in his library/hand), and the next draw i pulled another surgical that i used to extract his last delver, which would've drawn next and won him the game. those are the only two creatures he runs, and during that extract i was able to see he didn't have anything left to bounce my wall or the encrust i had on his surviving delver.

for all the frustration i've suffered at the hands of that deck, i made him play out every last turn until he finally decked out :redneck:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I've got a set of bojuka bogs I keep to sideboard into any black deck. Should only set you back about $2 for 4 of them. Just swap them for some swamps and its an awesome card to dump someone's graveyard from the game.
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Oh fuck I forgot to tell you. I picked up a few profane momentos to try out in the mill deck. Creature card hits any opponents graveyard from anywhere gain 1 life :hard-on bearer:
Ninny wrote:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

You guys should play Magic online and crown a MABB champion.
more metal
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I'd rather take a trip to Boston and play with real cards
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i'd play magic online if it didn't require me to re-buy digital versions of things i already own

motherfuck that noise y'all

also i pulled like half a dozen profane momentos from the M15 box but i never really thought to slide those in. not sure which matchups i'd like to have those in against, but i can probably work a set in to see how it plays out next weekend.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

They won't be side boarded. Them shits is going in full time so the need to block has dramatically decreased :gay:.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

fuck yes! fetchland reprints in khans, this makes me very happy. gonna have to see what prices settle on obviously, but if i can, i'd like to assemble a full playset of the lot. at the very least, maxing polluted deltas is going to be job one. definitely gonna have to snag a box on release now
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

The deltas are probably gonna be pretty pricey given that the originals are going for about $80 a piece right now. It seems like wizards got a little stingy with the rare lands. So you're best bet will be to get stupid lucky and pull 4 from a single box. From the looks of the set I can see a black/red weenie raid deck happening at some point in the future. But up next for me is a blue/red storm and a black/green LD :greenie:.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

seems like any kind of powerful land with blue in it winds up being fuck off expensive. the zendikar fetches are the same for their set, and underground seas are by far the most expensive duals at my local shop. i have to imagine they're unlimited prints, but those run like $325 a pop :oldryan:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Yeah I'd like to pick up some sulfur falls for that storm deck but they run like $8 a piece right now. Might find an alternate till they drop into the $3 or $4 range.
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

What kinda shit are you gonna build now?
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i honestly have no idea what i want to go for. i've got my bitch-mode fix filled with that mill action, mono black aggro could use some tuning but that's more just getting a few desecration demons to dial the fuck you factor up a bit. so far all i've come up with is that i feel like i want to make something with white in it, but i don't actually have any decent white cards and have no idea what i'd actually build it around :redneck:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Sometimes I fire up decked builder and just look at some older sets to get some ideas. Actually did it earlier and swaped some things out in a few decks. But mostly i did a lot to my red/white human deck.
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

If you want I can tell you what I've got in the works for green/white :santa:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i was looking through modern masters. idea: get 4 summoning pacts T1, summon 4 things with 5/5 haste, win. now i just need 52 more cards to fill in the gaps!
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Sigil captain

Sigil of the nayan gods

Sigil blessing

Solidarity of heroes

Launch the fleet
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

oh nevermind that only puts it into your hand. DAMNIT my genius idea is ruined
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Well if you have a bunch of weenie green mana ramp stuff khalni hydra is fun
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

Ok so mill went 0/10 tonight so I am gonna put it through the shredder. What's something that utterly shitstomps a blue deck

If there's some kind of control that's impervious to blue and is even more annoying to play against I am willing to spend irresponsible amounts of money on it
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

What were you playing against?
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

A blue deck that is literally counters and delvers/ludevics, and another blue deck that is a mixture of counters, mill, and creatures. They're completely bulletproof, there isn't a single thing I can do against either of them, even with a perfect draw. I can have mana for milling which is invariably countered, or I can save it for counters and die a slow death. Anti-control measures (grids, pithings, encrusts etc) get bounced and then countered. It's completely pointless to even play against them at this point

Basically the only way I can beat the delve deck is an opening hand that has a sluice, two extracts, a land, and I have to hit both creatures in one shot :hard-on bearer:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Those decks are horseshit. The only thing that can really even come close to putting them out is stupid fast weenie aggro.
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

You could build something full of shroud, hexproof, split second and built in can't be countered abulites but it'd be shit.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

:eyes: weenie is so underwhelming, but it is practical.

i want to emrakul these fucks. i want them to sacrifice everything they have, every turn, every goddamned fucking game. if i had three hundo to spend i would do exactly that
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Weenie can be overwhelming if done right. I can get turn two or three kills with my infect deck. No one sees it coming from that little 1/1 glistener elf. But when you drop a few cheap powerful instants and he's an 8/8 its quite the shock :xx:.

I have an eldrazi deck built on paper just waiting for the prices to be way more reasonable. I'd spend $20 on him but for $50+ he can fuck off.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

what is this infect you speak of :bulb:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

infect is basically a revamped version of an old game mecahnic. infect creatures deal damage to players in posion counters instead of damage. once a player has 10 counters they lose the game regardless of life total. as a plus infect creatures deal damage to other creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters. i believe pretty much all of the infect stuff is black or green besides a few artifacts which might actually be equipment cards.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

found some cheap decklists that should be easy to piece together. might give that a shot sometime soon, but with khans fast-approaching i may hold off so i can dump my magic budget into that instead
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

just wait for the full spoiler and cherry pick shit from the set unless you absolutely need to buy a box for fillers or something :santa:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i don't really have much for filler cards so there is some utility to the box approach
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Probably better off going m15 for a box unless you plan on using the khans game mechanics heavily.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i finally broke my losing streak, 1-13 for the weekend though :oldryan:

i got a couple more defense grids and an ensnaring bridge thru the local shop today, and i swapped my counter out for spot removal. odds of drawing into a DG are good enough now that i can mulligan for it, which actually allows me to participate in games. which is a nice thing.

i've also ditched my slow fetches and aqueducts for basics, the extra hits on crabs are nice if i can get a couple up, but overall output just doesn't grow fast enough to stay in the game. having more than one-two up at a time, especially early game, is so rare that it doesn't seem worth the trade in speed. once khans hits and i can stack up on deltas/strands, i'll adjust to get those in, but the current setup seems to be a lot more stable.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I'll happily buy khans fetch lands if the price is right which I don't think they will be. I've been thinking of swapping the aqueducts out for either tainted isles or drowned catacombs. Just haven't pulled the trigger on picking them up.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

played my fellating lover's bitchlord delvers-and-counters deck again tonight. the second game was glorious, i played a t0 memory sluice, milled one of each of his two creatures, hit extract on both, and made him play out the rest of the match. it took almost 30 minutes for him to deck out because he actually kept playing his counter game, but there was absolutely no way he could win.

that was a deeply satisfying victory
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Well khans fetch lands are up for preorder on troll and toad.

Bloodstained mire - $15

Flooded strand - $22

Polluted delta - $22

Windswept heath - $16

Wooded foothills $16

:fuckoff:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

well it's better than the pre-spoiler prices! :redneck:

they'll probably come down from there considerably once the set releases, people are going to be going nuts trying to crack those just to trade/sell.

in other news i have pieced together a cheap-ish little mono green infect deck which i am waiting on to come in the mail :bulb:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

They will probably just go up and the onslaught ones might drop a bit

What's the infect deck look like?
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I know there's a few cards I'll be snagging out of this set. Altar of the brood is gonna be a nice addition to my gulitfeeder deck.
Ninny wrote: