my friends and i started playing magic again

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
User
Metal God

Re: my friends and i started playing magic again

Post by User »

Because we played Magic in Pennsylvania Dusty and I have free reign to muckrake in this thread

https://www.quickcrop.ie/blog/wp-conten ... ed-bed.jpg
more metal
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Six hundo sure is classy
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

bout to have some by god cawfee up in this piece
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

Playing some by god magic up in this piece. Won my first round matchup 2-0 :xx:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

You need to get a group and jam some emperor magic
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

my current group is pretty inconsistent in terms of who shows up and participates, and also is only four people at most :homework:

what i really need to do is start playing blue

first round won in a blowout, second round went to three but i lost after whiffing on 2 draws with griselbrand (like how do you not hit a single fucking ritual in 24 cards UGH). i had to give my opponent a primeval titan to get him in which gave him a free karakas + maze of ith. already had a sire of insanity up so anything i couldn't cast out of my hand that turn was dead.

rounds three, four, and five: force of will, the game (with a bonus countertop round at the end). round one should have also been FoW: the game, but my opponent had some shitty draws and couldn't get out of T1 sire game 1 and inkwell game 2.

i think i'm gonna jam in 4x watery grave/daze/misdirection/brainstorm/ponder so that i can actually participate in some of these matches
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

[quote name="Hitoshura" post="544661" timestamp="1431313700"]

my current group is pretty inconsistent in terms of who shows up and participates, and also is only four people at most :homework:[/quote]

Fat fucking shit

[quote name="Hitoshura" post="544661" timestamp="1431313700"]

like how do you not hit a single fucking ritual in 24 cards UGH[shut/quote]

That shit is just straight up bad luck
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i was so excited when i hit my first draw off griselbrand because it pulled in children of korlis and i had tools to get it on the board to start the lifegain loop. i was sitting there thinking "holy shit this is the dream i'm going to reanimate my entire fucking deck at the most clutch possible moment and there's going to be an aerial high-five freeze-frame at the end" and then just completely fucking stalled out.

in retrospect, i could've just killed myself with a third draw seven, and i wish i'd done that instead of trying to play it out after the combo died

:hate:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

hello
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Gonna play tomorrow :xx:
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="sassapants" data-cid="544236" data-time="1431179908">
"hundo" is odious usage and i'll thank you to expunge it from your vocabulary</blockquote>

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Im ... pe=card</a>
Ninny wrote:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

correct
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

doggs, i play reanimator. you can go ahead and expunge it all you like. next turn, i'm just gonna

now then, since it's back in play, speaking of hundos, i got my first force of will last week :oldryan:

i've converted to UB reanimator, although for the long-term i'm probably going to build monoU omnitell for legacy since it's both cheaper and has far better matchups.

i think my current list is

4x polluted delta
5x swamp
1x island
4x watery grave

4x exhume
4x reanimate
2x animate dead
4x entomb
4x brainstorm
4x careful study
4x gitaxian probe
4x cabal therapy
1x ponder
2x misdirection
1x force of will
4x daze

3x griselbrand
1x elesh norn
1x iona, shield of emeria
1x tidespout tyrant
1x ashen rider
1x inkwell leviathan
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

first outing of UB reanimator finished 3-2 with 2 forces and a deficient sideboard. worst match was 0-2 to miracles which should've been a 1-2 loss but i made a serious misplay during game 1. highlight was 2-0'ing against dredge, game one he inexplicably conceded during a neutral boardstate, game 2 i pulled a turn 0 leyline of the void into a turn 1 elesh norn.

traded into two more forces between rounds to finish the playset, and ordered a bunch of stuff to fix my board. only things i'm really missing now are OG duals and abrupt decays for the sideboard. the latter will come soon, the former... maybe when i get a better job :oldryan:

you building anything in this period?
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Oh I got things I wanna build but the blings aint there to make it happen.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

oh but that is always the way. i basically financed my forces, my fellating lover went absolutely insane buying boxes of MM2015 and then had no idea what to do with what he pulled. sent me with a deckbox of all his money cards to trade out to get my force of wills and said pay it back over the next year or two.

whatchu got in mind :bulb:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Merfolk deck just to annoy my buddy with

A nasty blue/green unblockable

Those two I've already got a few pieces of. Thinking about throwing together a red/green pauper aggro deck. Still need to build 3 other mono color decks for when we play dot magic. Plus making some changes to already existing decks.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

that unblockable dealie sounds like the business :xx: you going the infect route with blighted agent or what all's gonna be up in that

i realized i have most of the core for a heavy black control/discard deck. gonna get me a set of racks and shrieking afflictions and see what i can throw together with that
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Jhesian infiltrator

ferropede

escape artist

Invisible stalker

Deep sea kraken

Basically just a bunch of creatures with built in unblockable. Toss a bunch of ramp and +x/+x spells/enchants from green and blue card advantage it works out pretty well on paper. The one thing I'm undecided on is the kraken. I might take them out in place of hunted phantasm.
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Stormicus have you seen any spoilers for the new set that comes out this month
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote="Nick"]
Stormicus have you seen any spoilers for the regenerated death set that comes out this month
[/quote]

aye i've been following them, some interesting looking things. when they first spoiled the flip planeswalker mechanic a few months back i was pretty intrigued, but the cards all turned out pretty underwhelming.

i'm pretty pumped for goblin piledriver getting a reprint. i was looking to build out goblins at some point and i'm glad i held off, i expect the price should come down considerably, especially once M15 rotates out of standard and rabblemaster with it.

day's undoing is probably the thing that's piqued my interest the most. i'll be interested to see if people can manage to break it. demonic pact is probably the coolest piece in the set i've seen so far, though who knows where it will wind up in terms of playability.  keep it in play for three turns and donate second main phase when it's down to 'lose the game'? :redneck:

of the rest of the toned down versions of good cards, evolutionary leap looks like it might have the most potential. the demonic tutor/opalescence/stoneforge lite cards are all pretty lame.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Its probably already broken
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

legacy tournament report, post addition of 4 force of will and 4 abrupt decay + pernicious deed in sideboard

0-3

lost to combo elves, some 4-color delver build, and some weird BWR thing that i've never seen before. shit draws in every game except 4c delver which just had neverending counters to get past all of my force/daze/misdirection. WOOOO
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

these are either gatewatch spoilers indicating they're finally doing something potentially interesting with standard, or fakes that will cause disappointment when OGW is revealed to be as bland and underpowered as everything else they've put out since FRF:

https://imgur.com/RQQy108

https://twitter.com/Mtgfocus/status/666764141072257027

i would definitely try to find a slot for that kozilek in reanimator.

it's certainly an interesting way to give non-blue decks access to countermagic. that mirrorpool's sac abilities are also both effects that are pretty much only printed in blue now as well. design like that would allow them to give non-blue decks access to effects like brainstorm as well, but given their contemporary approach to cantrips, if its effect were actually useful it would wind up being horrendously overcosted.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I don't necessarily like having the new mana source for it all. Especially if its only gonna be for this block.

That being said mirrorpool is fucking ridiculous and you'll probably end up needing a small loan to get a full set.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

my assumption is that the new symbol is just gonna mean that it can only be paid with colorless, so any existing nonbasic that can produce colorless will work effortlessly with it. the manabase available in the current standard environment would already support it since it's got evolving wilds that can fetch the diamond basic, painlands from origins, and a whole mess of other stuff that can tap for 1.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Why not just make it colorless?
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

That second link got taken down by the way
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

And if it acts as colorless why is there colorless in the mana and activation costs :huh:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

:interessant:

anyway here's a mirror for the other two if you didn't catch the original: https://imgur.com/a/qIhzF

they were trying to make colorless stuff important in BFZ with the devoid cards. maybe the diamond will have a restriction like it can only be used to cast colorless cards? right now there's little reason for devoid to exist on its own.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

That actually makes more sense than the other stuff I was reading. Means it could easily be folded into artifact heavy decks too.
Ninny wrote:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

magic: nfl edition
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

oh also i think i'm gonna build this next: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ben-bryners-coinflip-deck-legacy-gp-seatac-1/

i also put together a hilarious red/white/black deck a couple months back. it abuses varchild's war riders' cumulative upkeep, you flash in mantle of leadership on it and he gets huge after a couple of turns. mother of runes stops spot removal and any potential early blockers. forbidden orchards help bump him up higher, dawn charms and silent arbiter make sure you don't get overrun by the tokens you feed your opponent, and it has rakdos charm as a finisher. threw in some suture priests and a buncha burn spells. some enlightened tutors as a consistency tool since it doesn't get to lean on blue cantrips

the whole manabase is proxied because i wanted to pretend like i have arid mesas and plateaus and badlands and shit, but realistically it'll be fine with a toned down land section since it's probably not gonna see tournament duty anyway
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

That deck can fuck off unless there's a goblin bomb in it.

Need to make sure you have a burn spell like tremor to pop all those tokens in case the arbiter gets bounced or something.
Ninny wrote:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

magic :gay:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I ain't played in a few months :homework:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

aye i haven't played in a while either. i think the last time i played was a month and a half or so ago, i got blown out so badly at the last tournament i played in, i pretty much put the game down entirely for a couple of weeks :redneck:

i was gonna take a look through gatherer and figure out what coin flip spells aren't in it already, goblin bomb can definitely get a slot :idea:

if it gets to the point where that starts to become a threat, i just basically hope that i can either kill them with a couple burn spells/rakdos charm's damage mode, or dawn charm to blank their combat phase and kill them on the return attack
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

That deck would be a decent use of exalted :bulb:

I haven't played since like July. The past few months I've been busy all weekend and when a free one came up I didn't want to do a fucking thing. Trying to get something planned around everyone's christmas party plans next month.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah i've thought about chucking some cathedrals of war in there, but with a 3-color manabase it's tough to justify slotting in something that only does colorless

most of my friends that i started back up with have been mega-busy the last 3 months, and between hangovers and football i was pretty spotty with tournaments before the last blowout. now i'm just busy every weekend, my next chance to go won't even be until the second week of december

i think once i get my bonus in january i'm gonna get a bunch of revised duals which i feel a bit :oldryan: about
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Are they still running in the hundos?
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

some of them are yeah, though they definitely seem to have peaked. the blue ones are all 100+, underground seas are the most expensive and typically retail for 200-250 a piece, 6 months back it was generally in the 250-300 range though. there's a high-end magic group on facebook where you can find them relatively cheap, 160ish is pretty common for beat but playable copies of u.sea/volcanic/tropical island.

outside of the blue stuff, bayous are 100-150 and then all the rest of the non-blue stuff is under 100.

apparently russian foils are all the rage with high end collectors. there's a set of future sight tarmogoyfs on there right now for like $18000 and big boy jace for like $7000 a pop
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

That's fucking absolutely retarded

I am going to wait out them dual lands till I can get a set again without needing a 2nd job :judge:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

mind you this plan hinges entirely on getting the full 10% bonus, last i checked we're only at 6.5% and there's two big ass goals we need to meet company-wide to make up the difference and there's only a month left to pull it off
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I have no idea what we'll get come review time February
Ninny wrote:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

[quote="roustabout"]
pittsburgh showdown :unusually limber:
[/quote]
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

early spoilers are all confirmed now, and D can indeed only be paid by colorless. with respect to the new mana symbol, i believe the quote was "sol ring will produce DD, and can still be cast with 1". so yeah, diamonds can only be paid for specifically with colorless mana, and any existing casting costs will be completely unaffected.

i've done a lot of thinking on it though, and as sweet as that card is, don't think the new kozilek can fit into reanimator. it's really only viable when paired with griselbrand, and that duo is vulnerable to karakas (plus casting reanimate on kozilek super sucks at CMC10). better to pair griselbrand with either archetype of endurance to dodge karakas, or tidespout tyrant to bounce their whole board.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I'm finally going to play some today :greenie:
Ninny wrote: