my friends and i started playing magic again

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Re: my friends and i started playing magic again

Post by droidspawn »

jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="Nick"]Those pre con decks are great for starters. But ultimately they won't do shit pandora's dolphin happenstance play with anyone who has any experience.[/quote]

pretty much what i assumed going in. but starting over, there wasn't much else any of us had in terms of options for getting a functional deck together without spending a couple hundo on booster boxes to actually build a pool large and diverse enough to construct something useful. now that i'm becoming more familiar with what's out there for cards, i'm seeing ways to alter them to make the builds more consistent and lose some of the dead weight filler they add in.

if i get into a new job soon i will probably pick up a couple of boxes over the summer for everyone to sift through and make something neat out of
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

When you start building and editing decks the biggest thing is just keeping the mana curve low unless you have a ton of mana acceleration. A box of boosters will set you back roughly $80 or so. Or you could all pitch in and buy a box or two and do booster drafts. Its not my favorite play style but for the purposes of building a collection and working out how to build its pretty alright.
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

<!-- m -->http://www.deckedbuilder.com<!-- m -->

I have this here app on my phone. It costs a few bucks but its totally worth it.
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

the idea of looking for phone apps and such never even occurred to me. i've got a buttload of itunes store credit from christmas presents, i'll check that action out tonight :bulb:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

There's another app for scrapple called imtg but I'm not a fan of the layout of that one. How many folks are in your group?
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

just four of us right now so it's pretty small. i'd like to grow the ranks but at our age it's hard to get anyone interested if they didn't already play before :redneck:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

[quote name="Hitoshura"]just four of us right now so it's pretty small. i'd like to grow why so serious machine ranks but at our age it's hard to get anyone interested pandora's dolphin they didn't already play before :redneck:[/quote]

There's 8 in my group but its rare we can all actually get together on the same weekend. Having different variants of the game really helps keep it interesting :idea:.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

this undead herald deck is the business. probably isn't competitive in standard format tournaments or whatever, but it's without a doubt the best-constructed prefab i've seen so far.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

magic is tight like that but can it beat catan?
more metal
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

hey nick i ordered most of the stuff in that deck a little while ago. i made some changes though; i got rid of temporal mastery because i feel like in practice it's probably not the most consistent thing in the world, and getting it on your opening draw would be real shitty like. at $7 per, i figured i'd grab a few other things to experiment with instead.

i am thinking of loading up on the ghost quarter/archive trap combo, but i didn't have it in the budget to max out on those right now. soon though. i snagged a couple of mind funerals because that seems like fun, although i'm not sure how i'll actually work them in while keeping the overall curve reasonable.

also it's too bad proper fetch lands are so goddamned expensive, because a set or two of those would be crazy good in conjunction with the hedrons. cost is really the main constraining factor at this point, i've discovered so many wonderful cards over the last month or so, but far too many are in the $10-30 range to be practical for me right now. for example, i very much want to load up on glimpse the unthinkables, 10 cards for 2CMC is amazing on its own, even before you factor in combo potential, but i'd probably have to spend upwards of $100 for a full playset of those.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I only put the temporal mastery in cause I needed one card to fill the deck and I pulled it from a booster that day. I always end up with plenty of mana so even if I draw it on the start I can generally get it out within a few turns. If nothing else it eats up a possible counter from one of your opponents.

If you really wanna add the archive traps I wouldn't bother with the ghost quarters. Quash and haunting echoes forces a library search. Both are a little high mana wise. But there are tons of cards people use pretty regularly to dig cards from the library. If i was trying to pull the combo off I'd rather drop a few extirpates or something in there.

The bad rivers only run about a $1 and work just fine for me cause I don't mind waiting a turn. If you have 2 of the dimir aqueducts (one in hand and one in play) it guarantees the crab will trigger every single turn. Only reason glimpse and shit like demonic tutor aren't in the deck is strictly cost. Just make sure the drowner initiates make the deck cause they will mill an ungodly amount of cards all by themselves.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

quash or echoes force a search, but it's conducted by the caster and not the opponent. with the way trap is worded, the alt cost should only trigger when the latter happens, hence the ghost quarters. which doesn't force it, but if you play it early enough they'll be much more likely to do the search to not fall behind on mana production. plus dollar-wise the GQ's were like 20 cents a piece so i figured why the fuck not grab some :redneck:

with that said, a couple of the decks my friends play are search-heavy enough that i could comfortably leave the quarters out altogether.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Either way extirpates are fucking awesome too :santa:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

Yeah that is on the to-get list as well :idea:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

everything arrived today, so i did some test draws to see what to expect. i had one where i was able to pull a turn 3 traumatize as i drew that + dark ritual on my opening hand. in terms of raw mill output, i had enough to end all of the hypothetical games within 6-7 turns, and none of those were close to ideal draws (except the T3 traumatize hand).

basically this deck is fucking awesome and i can't wait to play it against an actual opponent :redneck:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

It'll pretty much ruin someone's day one on one unless they play control or can dump damage super quick. Doesn't fair well in chaos but I still play it to fuck with people :gay:.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

ok so my fellating lover put together a mono blue counter/control that completely ruined my shit. i think i went 2 and 6 against it and the only reason i won was ridiculous luck on milling his entire creature stock early in the first match, and him letting me chip him to death with drowners in another one, when he could've just bounced them and countered them on resummon.

gimme some ideas here :homework:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Fuck a deck that's all bounce and counter. You just gotta quash some shit. Maybe sideboard out the crawlspace for more counter power.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

all my counters got counter-countered. he stacked with rewinds too, specifically for my deck, so that he was pretty much guaranteed to win any counter fight. frustratingly i don't think i ever pulled a single quash in any of those games, and every time i had a chance to hit the key cards with surgical/echoes i couldn't get them out because i didn't have anything to bait the initial counters with.

i think i need to switch out the dimirs versus that deck, between those and the evolving wilds, mana production is way too slow and i get so little mileage out of those when my crabs always get countered/bounced, it doesn't seem worth it. at least if i can stay even in terms of mana output, i feel like i'd have a chance at being able to actually use some of my counters.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Fuck a deck that's all bounce and counter. You just gotta quash some shit. Maybe sideboard out the crawlspace for more counter power.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

oh and it has some stupid shitfucking thing that comes out turn 1 and turns into a 3/2 flying on turn 2 and i ain't got shit to deal with flying. imma get some flying ass bitches too
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

What card is it? I tried searching but can't find it.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

can't remember the name. it has a gimmick where you can choose to reveal the top card of your library, and if it's an instant or sorcery, it triggers the transformation. that deck is like fucking 90% instant/sorcery so it's pretty much a gauranteed turn two fuck you every time it comes out :hate:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Delver of secrets :santa:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah that's the one. fuck that splendid mate of mine right in his stupid delving face
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I can totally understand why you'd hate it but its awesome in a deck like that
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

oh yeah, it's pretty much a guaranteed turn 2 3/2 flier. you'd have to be a crazy person to pass that up

in other news i was surprised to see those from the vault sets don't sell for face value even on release. my local shop is already selling annihilation for $70 :oldryan: i was hoping to pick one up, but i can't justify it at that price, given that there isn't anything in there i was specifically gunning for.

i did pick up a jace from M13 and a stifle so i can squeeze in an uncounterable mill or two and fuck up his stupid shitfucking isochron scepters though, so it wasn't a complete waste of a trip
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

The only card i know with annihilation in it is decree of annihilation. But that wouldn't make sense in a blue mill deck.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

if they'd reprinted damnation, that would've had enough applications across my decks to make it worth picking up, but neither black nor blue got much in the way of noteworthy picks:

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/From_the_Vault:_Annihilation

rolling earthquake in particular looks pretty great, but i don't play red so i wouldn't have anything to put it in. same for the white stuff as well.

also: i discovered i pulled a whole boatload of counter and artifact removal/neutralization from the M15 box that i split. i've got enough to work with now that i think i can much more effectively deal with the one that was giving me trouble the other night.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

i thought you meant a single card from one of the vault sets. those sets though are an absolute money grab by wizard full of mostly garbage cards. so unless they release a set of reprinted power 9 or original dual lands for a reasonable price i aint interested.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

looking through some of the other sets, they do largely seem to be a bit underwhelming. the exiled one has a lot of cool stuff in it at least, though i have no idea if they're worth the cost of entry.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

well the set on troll and toad will set you back $214.99

priced out from other sets they'd set you back

lotus petal - $3
strip mine - $7
berserk - $57
goblin lackey - $11
kird ape - .35
mystical tutor - $7
sensei's divining top - $25
skullclamp - $6
balance - $1.50
channel - .50
necropotence - $10
serendib efreet - $62
tinker - $2.50
trinisphere - $5
gifts ungiven - $5

now looking at this the 2 big cost cards are from really old sets with a low production number compared to stuff from the late gloryhole era and forward. the next few expensive ones like skullcamp and the divining top have just recently saw a big price jump. i know this because i bought a few of each about 6 months ago for $2 a piece. everything else can be gotten fairly easy for probably less if you look around or you just wait for the next block of cards to come out and see if the price drops. plus you factor in the cards from the vault box set are foil so eventually those masturbated crackers will start to curl up unless you keep them in sleeves or something. if you ever plan to get into dci tournament play i dont think these are even legal to use in it.
Ninny wrote:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

I have read a surprisingly high percentage of this thread even though I don't really remember how to play Magic.
more metal
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

You should start again :gay:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i agree with nick

also i sometimes wonder how cards like sensei's divining top or skullclamp ever come into existence to begin with. the cynical view would be that they occasionally release obviously broken cards, and ratchet up the rarity to drive booster purchases... but both of those were originally uncommon, which would make assembling a full playset trivial. so it's probably not a sinister 'make them buy more packs!' motivation, and the fact that restricted/banned lists exist means they're obviously concerned about game balance. surely with all of the resources available to a company like wizards, they must do extensive playtesting/QA for new cards... i just don't get it.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

There aren't that many cards that are really broken within the block play. Its once you take a card like skullclamp and combine it with cards from other blocks that you see shit get absolutely out of hand. I have an atog deck that partially relies on skullclamp to get a massive amount of dirt cheap artifacts in play. While I'm sure wizards puts thought into how things will work with older sets most of the focus is probably on the block working as a stand alone. The block almost has to work that way otherwise they lose money from people doing standard tournaments, booster drafts and new players getting on board.
Ninny wrote:
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

For the love of god, please keep an eye out for this hard-on bearer.  He's nothing but bad news.

Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

The new block looks like its geared towards all that edh bullshit. Theres 5 groups similar to how return to ravnica block was set up with the guilds but instead of 2 colors its 3 colors this time around. Each group will have their own game mechanic and they brought back morph for the whole block. Should see a bunch of spoilers in the next week or two :greenie:.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i am excited for spoilers, but i do not care about the EDH format even a little bit
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Outside of the lands there's only 2 or 3 cards up on mtgsalvation
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

the three-way taplands seem interesting enough, should make it a little more practical to splash a third color.

definitely dig that prowess ability (which could provide for good defensive cover in mill), and that throne sounds terrifying in a G/W build. then again, it would be a bit of a fucker in my black setup too, pairing it up with a jacked up pack rat or desecration demon or something.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I think I'm gonna buy one and put it in my artifact deck that's got broodstar and colossus of akros in it. That's assuming it isn't a high demand card from the set. I know theres better lands compared to those. That said there'll probably be a premium land for each one too that doesn't tap when it comes into play if you do something.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

well that is a right terrifying combination. my first thought was pairing it with something like emrakul, but akros would probably be a much more sensible option, in terms of dollar costs anyway :redneck:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Broodstar is a big nasty bastard too. */* equal to the number of artifacts I control.
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

That deck has 12 artifact lands in it too :redneck:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

:homework::::

I don't have much for noteworthy artifacts. I pulled a soul of phyrexia from that booster box but I really can't think of anything else off the top of my head

I do kinda want to try the sword of body and mind/invisible stalker combo, swords are a bit pricey to load up on though :oldryan:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

That's one of those cards that almost never stays on the table. Either it gets disenchanted or the creature its equipped to and all your others eat shit. You should go stock up on feldon's cane or elixir of immortality as they belong in every deck :judge:
Ninny wrote: