my friends and i started playing magic again

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Re: my friends and i started playing magic again

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Just ordered all the cards I need for an elf deck :gay:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

:page8:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i am putting together a goblin deck for the ein pittsburgh lands. i'll finalize the list at work tomorrow and probably order everything i need over the weekend

i will probably bring all of my own decks as well since i have no idea what i'll actually want to use. U/B/W mill, G infect, B reanimator, and my cheapo splinter twin impostor G/W infinity elves :gay:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

U artifact

U/R/W atog

G/R elemental

G elf

B/W extort

B/G guiltfeeder

R/W humans

B/G infect

B/G land destruction

B/U mill

B/R shocker

G/W tokens

I'll bring probably 8 or so as that's what one of the toolboxes I keep them in holds :chetty:
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/cata ... _12766.jpg

Take out the tray and 8 ultra pro deck boxes fit in there. They run like $6 and I've yet to come across something else that trunps it.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i store all my constructed stuff in a metal capcom lunchbox i got from my old job. it is the single nerdiest configuration of things that i own by a significant margin :redneck:

it is sturdy and fits 6 ultrapro boxes with room to spare for extra loose cards/supplies. it will work out perfectly as i need two for my reanimator 'cuz i decided to get fancy and double-sleeved it, the maindeck barely fits in a single box :homework:

also my custom mats should be arriving in the mail tomorrow but i will probably leave those at home. i think that's the limit where i finally start to get self-conscious about the whole ordeal
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I have a deck box with extra sleeves/cards in it.

Whenever you need more storage I reccomend heading out and picking one of these up :santa:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

goblin deck ordered :judge:

i'm somewhat wistful i traded off most of my rabblemasters 'cuz they'd be pretty terrifying as a four-of in this deck. on the other hand, two of them would cost more than the rest of the deck combined and i reckon it'll do just fine even without them :redneck:

also my playmat came today and the print quality is way beyond my expectations. i'm almost disappointed that it's basically an oversized mousepad because now i'd rather have it as a lithograph that i could stick on a wall somewhere
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I never understood the playmats if you use sleeves
Ninny wrote:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

how is bil-ur-sag involved here
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

it's really just a show-off thing/insurance against needing to re-sleeve in case of grimy-ass surfaces if i go to play in a tournament
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

so it's not a playable card then?
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

It very much is not
Ninny wrote:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

this is bullshit
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Got my cards in the mail today :xx:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

expected delivery day: wednesday, april 8 :eyes:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Yeah but that's still in plenty of time
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

it is, which is nice. but also not because it will give me enough time to indulge my urge to tweak it by way of ordering more stuff. i mean i guess i do still need to put a proper sideboard together for it, after all!
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

aaand i officially need to come up with a system to organize my valuable cards because i've somehow managed to lose a goddamned ensnaring bridge :oldryan::::::::::::::::::::::::
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

What do you store all your spare cards in?
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

well there's the aforementioned capcom lunchbox that i (usually) keep all my constructed decks in, and also some of my sideboardish cards. then there's a small cheapo plastic three-drawer container i keep stuff in; one drawer has all of my bulk commons, another the bulk uncommon/rare stuff, and then another has all of the fancy rare lands i own that aren't currently in any decks plus spare sleeves and supplies and such.

and then there are also several smaller piles of cards scattered around my room, most of which are unsorted boosters that are mostly just bulk trash but occasionally will contain fancy stuff that used to be in decks or could be in a deck or a sideboard but i haven't really figured anything out for them yet

in other words there isn't much of a system to it :redneck: the bridge went missing because it was a maindeck feature in my mill for a long while, but after i've retooled it to UWB i've loaded up on a lot of draw, so having bridges in there is kind of a waste. i had them with one of my piles of general mill related stuff that isn't seeing play right now which i haven't kept terribly good track of, hence
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

http://www.boardgamestorage.com/images/5305-out.jpg

http://www.boardgamestorage.com/images/5305.jpg

Pick up one of these. You can find them at target, toys r us and the like or I'm sure somewhere online. If you look for them online just search for Plano 5305 :santa:
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Its a fucking shame the only way to get the 5325 is to place an order with Plano for a minimum of 500 pieces :homework:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

entered my first legacy tournament today, finished 16th out of 26 :oldryan: most of my matches were winnable, but i had some garbage hands and should've mulliganed to 5 on a few where i kept at 6.

first matchup had a control engine based on counterbalance/sensei's divining top which was tough to get around. first game i conceded after he managed to grind out my entire creature stock with deathrite shaman. game 2 i couldn't get around counterbalance and conceded once he dropped a 5/6 tarmogoyf on the board.

second match wasn't exactly a mirror, but it was another reanimator build and this dude was fully powered, duals, lion's eye diamonds, all kinds of ridiculous stuff. it was a weird build that used burning wish, shallow grave, goryo's vengeance, emrakul, and griselbrand along with children of korlis to pull off huge lifegain loops. and it had an alt wincon with burning wish into tendrils of agony. by far the neatest deck i played against. i almost had him on game 2 after dropping a turn 1 iona on black, he was locked out of the game for a couple of turns but managed to pull off a burning wish into void snare and it was all over from there.

third match was some UR delver build that basically overwhelms you with young pyromancers and delvers, i managed a win on game 1 but lost the next two to shitty draws.

fourth match was against a deck called mud-post which is apparently a cloudpost based deck. i don't know what it actually does because i killed her two games in a row without her getting to do anything except put out a trinisphere after i'd already pulled off a turn 1 reanimate :redneck: her boyfriend who was playing the match next to us tried to sass me as i crushed his woman, but that shit didn't fly. i ain't taking no reanimate damage splendid mate of mine, i've got a platinum emperion on the board. fuck outta here with that nonsense

fifth match i went 2-1 against some weird control deck based on smokestack. games 1 and 3 he pretty much conceded immediately, game 2 he managed to put up a chalice of the void on turn 1 and my hand was nothing but 6 one-CMC spells that were all locked out.

legacy is pretty ridiculous though, the amount of crazy shit you can pull off with the right amount of money and creativity is pretty impressive. also pretty neat to have a fair shot at steamrolling decks that cost 10x what mine did :ba: i will definitely go back again to see if i can fare better
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I like the idea of doing tournaments
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

it was very fun and has spurred a lot of ideas for things i could do with my deck. going to drop jin-gitaxias for sire of insanity, letting your opponent hold on to their hand for a full turn is just way too much leeway to give when you don't have access to countermagic.

thinking i might try to slot in a painter's servant or two to completely lock down games with iona. i need to proxy that shit and test it out

i was pleasantly surprised at the overall level of both power and hygiene of the scene at that store. it was a 26-man tournament in a relatively small space and there was no horrific odor at all
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

The thing is I really never play head to head anymore. So I'd have to retool any deck for tournament play which is totally unappealing. I'd love to find some two headed giant ones or something.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Hitoshura" data-cid="541562" data-time="1429060168">
i was pleasantly surprised at the overall level of both power and hygiene of the scene at that store. it was a 26-man tournament in a relatively small space and there was no horrific odor at all</blockquote>

Also that odor will chase me out of stores before I even have a chance to buy shit
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i think at my store, they mostly do 2HG at prerelease type events here. i've literally never played anything but head to head so any kind of multiplayer format is weird and foreign to me :alien:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Chaos

Attack right/left

Dot magic

Two headed giant

Emperor

:xx:::::::::::
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

all the sideboard pieces arrived just in time. the one maindeck card i ordered didn't though, so there's only one lackey on board :eyes:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Find a shop in Pittsburgh and buy one!
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

:bulb::::::::
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

(that bulb was specifically for jorsh)
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I actually may go hit a shop up there for dice purchasing
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

my roommate and i used to play d&d, and i know our massive sack of dice is around somewhere. i'll see if i can scrounge some up in the morning
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

My one buddy has a 3lb bag of dice but all I've got is a handful of d20. The shop around here marks dice way the fuck up so I haven't bothered to buy any.
Ninny wrote:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

[quote="Hitoshura"]
(that bulb was specifically for jorsh)
[/quote]
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

MABB Magic time soon :greenie:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

charming pizza scunts
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

all copies of duress: out

painter's servant & children of korliss: in

gonna lock this shit up tonight.

:judge:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Aðalsteinn
Metal God

Post by Aðalsteinn »

Is this thread seriously still going!?
All I wanna do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom<br />
and a poom-poom - JUST SHAKE YA RUMP
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

this thread will never die!

in my test draws so far, adding in children of korlis to reanimator is absolutely nuts. once griselbrand is out, you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to draw or tutor into it, which makes it so i can draw as much of my deck as i need to lock the other player out of the game entirely. once it's on the board, you sacrifice it > regain the 7-14 life you spent on the draws to find it > draw 7-14 more > reanimate children, sac again for 14-28 life, rinse repeat as necessary. the idea is to run the draw/lifegain loop until i can put iona, shield of emeria and painter's servant out at the same time.

at that point, i think in legacy, the only possible out against that is to play a karakas and use it to bounce iona, but i'm not sure how many people at the store i go to run it. i guess i will get to find out tomorrow :gay:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Hitoshura" data-cid="543592" data-time="1430621860">
this thread will never die!</blockquote>
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

2-2 in the 4th round so far, but my fourth round opponent dropped so the second win was by default :redneck:

So far I've had karakas come out twice, played around it in my round one match to win 2-1. Round 2 was vs Ad Nauseam storm, he went off twice before I could. Got hosed by karakas + containment priest + force of wills in round 3, lost that one 1-2.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

so far i have made like a cool hundo on modern masters 2015 by virtue of inkmoth nexus not getting reprinted, and elesh norn somehow appreciating by $8-odd even though it's been spoiled for the set and is played as a one-of by about two other people on the planet that aren't me
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

"hundo" is odious usage and i'll thank you to expunge it from your vocabulary
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

if it's good enough for ray smuckles it's good enough for me! :waa:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

that sounds like cult logic
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

He's right though. You should only hope to be half as awesome as Herr smuckles.
Ninny wrote: