my friends and i started playing magic again

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Re: my friends and i started playing magic again

Post by jawn galliano »

not surprising. that card is going to make jeskai tokens out of control amazing.

grandmaster, rabblemaster, 2 tokens up (or 3 tokens from a hordeling outburst)

tap four lands to activate the spell recycle

convoke your creatures to cast stoke the flames for 4 damage/+4 life

jeskai ascendancy triggers, untap everything, add +1/+1 counters across the board, draw/discard if desired

repeat that cycle one more time

and then attack

fuuuuuuck that's good. i've got a decent chunk of the parts to put that deck together, i might work on getting the rest as outside of the manabase (which i've got about half of just through opening packs) it's a reasonably cheap deck to build right now.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Thats a lot of moving parts that require a lot of mana. Its likely shit will get blown up before you could ever pull it off.
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Few new spoilers in the last couple of hours.

Silumgar :gay:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah this set looks like it'll have a lot of delicious additions for dragon decks. silumgar is pretty costly to put up but by the time you can play him i can't imagine most boards would survive a single attack if you've got 2-3 others up already.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

He ain't costly if you plan on using elvish pipers or belbes portal
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i forgot about elvish pipers. fuck elvish pipers :eyes:

also i found a free netplay client with rules automation :greenie: http://xmage.info/
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Elvish piper and birds of paradise almost never stay on the board for a full turn. I'd go the sneak attack route with it but at like $60 piece that's not gonna happen.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

aye. you'd best believe if i've got a doomblade in hand or anything else that can take out a piper, that shit is going out as soon as it hits the board

i play birds in my infect deck, but my group figured out pretty quick not to blow removal on it. it worked out to my advantage once, i actually won a game with them. my infect stuff kept getting blown up before i could do anything with it, so i had accumulated 4 groundswells and a mutagenic growth and some other random pump spell. i threw my hands up in faux-frustration and said 'FINE, i'm attacking with my stupid shitfucking 0/1 mana birds. are you going to block?"

they said no :gay:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Tremor :shakefist:
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

[quote="Hitoshura"]

also i found a free netplay client with rules automation :greenie: http://xmage.info/
[/quote]

getting ready to check this shit out now
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote="Nick"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Hitoshura" data-cid="523933" data-time="1420077820">
<div>

[/quote]

getting ready to check this shit out now

</div>
</blockquote>

i messed around with it a bit yesterday, all in all very functional. it's a bit of a resource hog but other than that i didn't have any serious complaints. it's great for playtesting since there's an AI that can use a premade deck you assign it, or it can generate one randomly according to whatever parameters you specify. the lack of card art kinda sucks but i assume that's largely to avoid lawsuits and whatnot.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

pretty sure i read something that you can download the card art in the program itself. my internet was being a fat fucking cunt last night so the download kept cutting out.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

well i'll be damned, downloading them all now :gay:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Its a fuck ton of card art
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

holy crap xmage is pretty much the best thing i've discovered since picking this game up again. i've been toying with some discard/rack deck ideas but i've been hesitant to commit to any builds for budgetary reasons. being able to playtest different configurations (against any matchup i can think of, no less) without having to actually buy anything is a fucking godsend.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

also i decided to test out a really stupid deck. 4x shelldock isle, 4x surgical extraction, 2x emrakul, the aeons torn, 50x shadowborn apostle. T1 take the draw, discard shadowborn, extract. T2, shelldock, exile emrakul. T3, shelldock 2, exile another if possible. T4, emrakul #1 comes on the board, extra turn, attack wipes most of your opponent's board, T5 win.

if emrakul prices come down with the impending MM2 reprint i am absolutely building that
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

That'll piss so many people off
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

So I finally sat down to build a deck and give this a go. The second card I go to add is missing :hate:::::::
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

missing from your collection or from that xmage thingy :huh:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Xmage
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

oh yeah there's definitely some random cards missing here and there. when i was putting the decklist for my mill deck together, it was missing memory sluice. i think i ended up slotting in glimpses in its place :redneck:

in other news, unless some seriously crazy shit gets spoiled soon, i think i'm going to happily resist my natural urge to get a box for FRF. most of the interesting stuff in there can probably be had for <$3/per within a couple weeks of release, and even then i don't know that there's anything i'd wanna build around.

if i'm going to be stupid and blow money on lots of packs i'd rather save it for MM2 where there might actually be some payoff.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Yeah there's not really a substitution for shocker/barbed shocker that I'm aware of :homework:
Ninny wrote:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Full spoiler is out
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

eh. nothing earth-shattering overall. there's a lot of cool dragons, but the overall flavor seems to be 'slivers that cost a fuckton and are pretty much unplayable together unless you have a solid and consistent engine to cheat all of them onto the board'. if i'd gotten into standard like i was planning i might have some things to be excited about, but at this point i'm planning on dumping all of my pricey standard stuff because i've realized pretty much all of it is going to tank once they rotate out.

rabblemasters and the like a seriously fun cards but as soon as they rotate out they'll be worthless. if i can trade them up for some eternal stuff that will hold its value now, i can rebuy all of that stuff for pennies on the dollar in a year or so.

also, are we bringing some decks to pittsburgh or what
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Type 1.5 for life

If theres a card I really want I just watch for the price to drop in a few months. I remember snatching up some big urza block cards for dirt cheap when that block rotated out. I'll bring mine up but you know its either gonna be super drunk or super hungover magic playery :redneck:.
Ninny wrote:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

i just realized that you are going to play magic at the meetup aren't you
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Well I wasn't till stormy brought it up
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

75% of my games since starting up again have been while drinking or drunk, that is not a problem for me at all :redneck:
Aðalsteinn
Metal God

Post by Aðalsteinn »

How did this thread reach 6 pages :gaylol:
All I wanna do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom<br />
and a poom-poom - JUST SHAKE YA RUMP
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

lots of magic banter :xx:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Hitoshura" data-cid="525476" data-time="1420939552">
75% of my games since starting up again have been while drinking or drunk, that is not a problem for me at all :redneck:</blockquote>

That has been more or less my experience since the alcool consumption began
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

after going back and forth between about 15 other ideas i finally decided my next deck will be a legacy reanimator. i've ordered the first few bits but it'll probably take a month or two to complete since a few key pieces are pretty goddamned pricey. i had to go for monoblack to not require a manabase that costs more than the rest of my collection combined :redneck:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

You going recurring nightmare?
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

recurring seems a bit on the slow side so i haven't really looked too hard at that. my reanimation suite will likely wind up as reanimate/animate dead/exhume. graveyard fillers will be putrid imp, buried alive, and entomb (which is the really pricey part of the deck). it requires a good draw obviously, but with those choices, a swamp+ritual alone in your hand will allow you to get pretty fucking silly on turn 1.

creatures can get pretty expensive, but there's plenty of highly effective fuck-you type stuff that you can get for surprisingly little money. the only expensive creature i have slotted in is a jin-gitaxias which i think came up to about $7, everything else was $2 or less. if i have the extra money i might go nuts and throw a griselbrand in, but i think i can easily live without it.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Recurring was a go to in reanimate decks for a long ass time.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

man i totally fucked up and didn't pay attention ordering my first batch of cards. i got stuck with five foils and despite sandwiching them between two heavy flat things for like three days, the arching will not cease. foil cards are fucking dumb and i honest to god cannot understand why anyone would actually pay a premium for these stupid fucking things
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I mean I'll take full advantage of some dumb fuck who wants them. Pretty sure the only foils I've ever used was myr servitor and some lands.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

my only regret in trading that foil delta for a hundo was devoting too much of the value into standard shit that wasn't going to hold up. still made money but i coulda stretched that shit much further like :eyes:

meanwhile some asshole paid $100 for a fetchland that probably isn't even tournament legal because it naturally deforms into a 45-degree angle
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

My lummo's cowtown Magic, after firing their horrible coach of the last 2 1/2 years yesterday, snapped a 10 game losing streak tonight against the lakers in ot :xx:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

enjoy it while it lasts, it'll take about two games for the opposition to adjust and sub in a yawgwill storm combo and sweep the whole series in the first fucking quarter
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

That godamn yawgwill will touch the magic for a career high :shakefist:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Yawgmoth's will :xx:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i made that post and had a revelation and decided 'holy shit i'm gonna go buy one tomorrow and my new shit will be unstoppable' and thank goodness i thought to check the banlist before dropping cash on that 'cuz that shit ain't legal outside of vintage :eyes:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Type 1.5 for life
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i thought legacy was just what they called type 1.5 now :huh: vintage is type 1 where anything goes and if your deck isn't worth $20,000 you lose

additional sadness: demonic tutor is also banned in legacy
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

jorsh did you notice how george karl looks more and more like the old man from the garfield halloween special
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

:gaylol:

I always think john lithgow.

anyway, he REALLY wants to coach the magic. have you seen his tweets from yesterday? hes pretty much begging for it. unless hes using us as leverage to get the kings job.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Hitoshura" data-cid="531061" data-time="1423330901">
i thought legacy was just what they called type 1.5 now :huh: vintage is type 1 where anything goes and if your deck isn't worth $20,000 you lose

additional sadness: demonic tutor is also banned in legacy</blockquote>

I ain't calling it shit but type 1.5 :judge:

We follow the list pretty well except for a few house rules. Like some banned cards we just play as restricted.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah we don't follow any actual format in my group so i guess it's not that much of a concern. honestly the will would be total overkill for my list anyway. it's already poised to curbstomp pretty much every deck that my friends are using right now, i'm considering leaving out the entombs as a cost-saving measure and to tone the deck down a bit, drawing into a ritual with that and any reanimation is pretty much a guaranteed win against anything they can throw at me. which is fun for me but will probably make everyone else not want to play :redneck:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

[quote="jorsh"]
:gaylol:

I always think john lithgow.

anyway, he REALLY wants to coach the magic. have you seen his tweets from yesterday? hes pretty much begging for it. unless hes using us as leverage to get the kings job.
[/quote]

i would rather have the magic job. the west is fucking crowded and going to stay that way for awhile. the magic have a new arena and the allure of "florida," which free agents seem to give a shit about for some reason

sacramento has...the birthplace of joan didion. which is really interesting to me, but i am no longer a max-level NBA talent
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people