concocting The Morbid Ale

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
User
Metal God

concocting The Morbid Ale

Post by User »

Okay chaps!  Just like I said I would.

DSC_0225.JPG

<div>There are many different methods and equipment set-ups for concocting beer.  I usually use the BIAB (Brew in a Bag) method, with a two-step mash and no-chill, and I brew outdoors.  There is a lot of equipment to buy if you want to make beer using grains like I do.  But I didn't start using grains.  I started concocting using extract a year ago.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>You can give the below method a shot cheaply and easily in the kitchen.  It uses equipment you should already have, such as a wooden spoon, soda bottles and a pot.  Three weeks after brew day you will be drinking your beer. </div>
<div> </div>
<div>I have kept it simple and don't go into detail because perfecting the art and science behind beer is a lifetime task and I would prefer you ladies just give concocting a go.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Morbid Ale
American Pale Ale ::10 litres (2.6 gallons) :: 5% ABV ::37 IBU

</div>
<div>Equipment:</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;"> </div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">1x Stock Pot or Saucepan (minimum 3 gallon capacity)</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">
DSC_0207.JPG
</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">1x Spray Dispenser</div>
DSC_0190.JPG
</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">Sanitizer (not strictly necessary in this recipe if you are careful)</div>
DSC_0187.JPG
</div>
<div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">1x Wooden Spoon</div>
1x Roll of Cling Wrap

And enough PET soda bottles to hold ten litres of beer.

</div>
<div>Ingredients:</div>
<div> </div>
<div>
DSC_0170.JPG
</div>
</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">Water</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">50 grams (just under two ounces) of sugar</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">1.5kg jar of Briess CBW Golden Light</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">Neutral Beer Yeast</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">28 grams (1 ounce) Centennial Hops</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">A casual look at an online brew shop in the U.S.A. puts the total for these ingredients at US $20.</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">What are the ingredients exactly?</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">Briess CBW Golden Light</div>
DSC_0209.JPG
</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">This is a variety of liquid malt extract.  Basically, it is malted barley which has been mashed (steeped in water to extract sugars), then condensed down to fit into a jar for user-friendly kitchen concocting.  In consistency it resembles golden syrup or treacle.  Briess are an awesome brand that malt and mash their grain out of Wisconsin.</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">Neutral Beer Yeast</div>
DSC_0184.JPG
</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">Beer yeast is the same living organism that we use to make bread, kimchi and other fermented foods.  Yeast eats sugar, shits alcohol, and farts bubbles.  However, beer yeasts have been selected and bred especially for beer purposes.  If you use a wine or bread yeast in a beer recipe it will turn out gross.</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">Centennial Hops</div>
DSC_0180.JPG
</div>
<div style="margin-left:40px;">Hops are a resinous plant related to marijuana.  Hop oils act as a preservative in beer, they bitter it, impart flavour and aroma, while also acting as a sedative and diaretic.  Centennial is a U.S. variety that is useful for bittering, flavour and aroma.  Often beer recipes use several kinds of hops, or at the minimum two hops: a bittering hop and a flavour hop.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Method:</div>
<div> </div>
  1. If you have sanitizer, dilute some with water and fill up your spray dispenser.  Sanitizer is not a cleaning product, it is a chemical mixture that kills the bacteria that specifically attack beer yeasts and sugars.  Thus you can and should spray it everywhere willy-nilly.  Most sanitisers are no-rinse, meaning they impart no flavour and can be imbibed with no effects.

2. Fill your stock pot with eight litres (two gallons) of water and bring to the boil.

DSC_0208.JPG

3. Add half of the jar of liquid extract when the water is at a rolling boil and bring the liquid back to the boil once more.

DSC_0213.JPG

4. Pat your dog if you have one.

DSC_0194.JPG

5. Add half of your hops (14 grams) to the boil.

DSC_0235.JPG

6. Stir gently for twenty seconds, then leave the boil to extract the hop oils.  This is our bittering addition and will add a bitter taste to the beer.

DSC_0220.JPG

7. After fifteen minutes, add the second half of the hops.  This is our flavour addition and will add a rounded hop flavour to the beer.

8. After another fifteen minutes (I.e. when the boil has been going for thirty minutes) pour the rest of the liquid extract into the pot.

DSC_0214.JPG

9. Raise to the boil for one more minute, then immediately move it off the hot plate, add three or four more litres of water (to get it to 10l), and cover the top with cling wrap.

DSC_0248.JPG

10. If your pot has a lid, put the lid over the top.  Aim for a close-to airtight seal.  I don't have a lid, so I used a chopping board and some plates for weight.

DSC_0250.JPG

11. Let the solution (this is called "wort") cool down to ambient temperature.  For this amount of wort it will probably take 12 hours or so.

12. After the wort has reached a temperature between 13°C (55°F) and 20°C (68°F), lift the lid and glad wrap, throw the yeast into the wort, and immediately seal up the pot again.  If you have sanitizer, spray the fuck out of everything before you seal it up again.

13. Leave the pot at this temperature for two weeks.  It will ferment out and turn into beer.  If froth starts leaking out at any point, let a little air in. 

14. After two weeks, boil 100ml of water and add the 50g sugar to it.  Make sure it is well mixed in.  Open your stock pot and add the sugar solution, stirring well.  If you have sanitizer, give the wooden spoon and everything a splash. 

15. When the sugar solution is mixed in, pour the beer into bottles using a funnel (again spray the fuck out of it if you have sanitizer).  Wait for a week, giving the bottles a squeeze every day.  They will gradually carbonate.  When the soda bottles are firm, like a bottle of Coke, you can refrigerate and drink the beer.
<div>Too easy!  Here is a picture of me after spending forty minutes concocting ten litres of beer.  Hooray!</div>

I have attached a beer designer spreadsheet designed by a hard-on bearer named Ian down in Tasmania that will help you plan your own recipes.  You can become a master of extract concocting in no time.  Then it is up to you if you want to take the next step and start concocting from scratch using grains.  It takes considerably more time to mash your own grain, but the rewards are worth it if you are passionate about beer.

So, who is going to give the Morbid Ale a try?

Beer Designer MABB.xls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
more metal
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Re: concocting The Morbid Ale

Post by happiness and harmony »

and luke wins the board

:thingy:

i will try this, soon. and other beers too. beer designer mabb :xx:

the one time i tried this i used actual grain instead of the syrup above, i am eager to give this alternate method a go

thanks luke :santa:
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:xx:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
User
Metal God

Post by User »

:beer:
more metal
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Morbid beer :xx:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

so i have one round of ingredients left from the concocting kit i got for my birthday last year. i am going to get a proper bottling pump and use those ingredients to make a tasty semi-morbid pale ale (not an ipa, don't worry luke) and then in the next couple of weeks after i get my various paychecks deposited i will sit down and make plans for proper autumn concocting. if a thing like this is worth doing, it's worth doing right

:plans:

:shift:
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
User
Metal God

Post by User »

Eeeeexcellent.  Keep us updated with your beer progress!

:beerbang:

Dusty's beer progress has halted. 

:shakefist:
more metal