Souls Games

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
diabolik

Re: Souls Games

Post by diabolik »

DLC should be a lot more difficult than the standard game. Throne of Want is pretty fucked up place, but it is doable, even I did it.

Making my way through DS3 and have to say this is a lot more difficult than DS2. It was pretty OK until I got to Borean Valley, then the suffering began. Devourer of Gods took some serious practice to get down.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah, the valley is fucking fruital first time through. just getting to an interior bonfire felt like a major accomplishment. absolutely loved both of the boss encounters, especially devourer which was fittingly challenging for taking place in the ornstein/smough arena. what weapons have you been using?
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote="diabolik"]
DLC should be a lot more difficult than the standard game. Throne of Want is pretty fucked up place, but it is doable, even I did it.

Making my way through DS3 and have to say this is a lot more difficult than DS2. It was pretty OK until I got to Borean Valley, then the suffering began. Devourer of Gods took some serious practice to get down.
[/quote]

that's interesting, i've seen a few people say ds3 was easier. i'm actually going to play ds1 before i move on to ds3/

the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

in comparing the relative challenge between 2/3, i could see an argument for stages in DS2 being tougher in some instances, but there's no comparing the bosses. i one-shotted the majority in DS2, very few in DS3.

the original dark souls is fantastic and i reckon you will enjoy the hell out of it, still the best of the three IMO (not a knock on DS3 at all though, it's very close behind). bonfires are much rarer compared to what you're accustomed to though, and you don't get the option to teleport between them until fairly late in the game.

if you're playing on PC just make sure to get the dsfix mod. the stock installation is absolutely dreadful.
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

[quote="Hitoshura"]
yeah, the valley is fucking fruital first time through. just getting to an interior bonfire felt like a major accomplishment. absolutely loved both of the boss encounters, especially devourer which was fittingly challenging for taking place in the ornstein/smough arena. what weapons have you been using?
[/quote]

I'm a little bit lost with weapons in DS3, I've been using Irithyll Straight Sword, Hollowslayer Greatsword and Profaned Greatsword. I think they all are +2 or +3.
Will take a awhile before I can use Fume Ultra Greatsword.

Any suggestions for good STR/DEX hammering?
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

if you're going for a straight STR/DEX build, you'll want to have something with a quality infusion. they nerfed the effectiveness of quality builds slightly a while back, but they're still really solid in PVE -- the go-to weapon was usually an upgraded black sword, which if you don't have one already, drops off the dudes outside abyss watchers' arena.

for greatswords i've mostly just been using the wolf knight's greatsword, which you'll get by trading the abyss watcher's soul. it's a slightly higher attack rating compared to the hollowslayer and gets a nice damage bonus against a few of the later bosses as well. the FP skills are a lot more useful on the WK sword as well IMO, although i rarely find myself using those on any weapon.

titanite eventually becomes buyable in unlimited quantity so you'll have plenty of opportunity to mess with different boss weapons. the only thing you should be limited on per playthrough is slabs but i think you get enough for at least 4-5 maxed weapons per run, plus possibly more from the DLC.
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

I got Black Sword and I got a Wolf Knight sword too, so I'll be looking into those. I almost always use boss souls for weapons. Thanks for the opinions! I'm right now stuck at Borean Valley Dancer, got the cunt like down to 25% health but haven't got further, then again I haven't had time to give some serious several hour runs at her.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i beat the fume knight which made me feel like i bad ass because i've read that he's supposed to be the most difficult boss in ds2. but the blue smelter demon seems like way more of a pain in the ass :oldryan:
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

do these games require your soul to play

is that why they are the souls games
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

they do and It is
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

:Santa:
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

Cinder of Souls is DOD. Freaking epic battle! I'm happy, now on to NG+. Didn't kill Nameless King.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i stupidly bought a ps4 controller for my pc thinking the third party software would be fine. naw son. it was constantly disconnecting and giving me issues in the middle of playing ds. waiting on a xbox controller to ship. :idea:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i use inputmapper for my PS4 controller, which i set up strictly for DS3. haven't had any connectivity issues that i can recall.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote="Hitoshura"]
i use inputmapper for my PS4 controller, which i set up strictly for DS3. haven't had any connectivity issues that i can recall.
[/quote]

ds4windows is what i used. it really annoys me because i loved the ps4 controller but ds4windows was always giving me issues. i could never just pick up the controller and play, i had to enable/disable in devices, reboot the computer, etc.  probably should have tried input mapper before i took it back to the store but i'd rather just get a plug n play controller at this point.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

finished ds2 tonight but i left a few bosses undefeated so i'm kind of unhappy about it
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i didn't know this was on PC, maybe i should check it out

then stormy and i can talk souls over real ale in dank british pubs filled with smelly carpet
more metal
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

it is completely excellent, you should :judge:

you'll want some kind of controller for it though as keyboard control is mega awkward
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

started ds1 tonight. i think it's going to take me awhile to adjust but i am liking it, it feels scarier than ds2.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

oh that is most excellent news :gay::::::::::::::: i trust you have dsfix installed

in terms of atmosphere it is definitely a lot spookier compared to DS2, i think. bonfires are usually a lot further apart and there's no fast travel until late in the game, so the stakes are a lot higher with respect to exploring the world.

where have you gone so far
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

haven't gone very far yet, the beginning of this game is incredibly open. i made the mistake of dropping into a graveyard area where two skeletons promptly kicked my ass :oldryan: so then i traveled upward to undead burg. stopped right after i killed the taurus demon and met solaire.

rolling/dodging bosses feels way different than in ds2
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

oh yeah, that's the entrance to the catacombs. definitely not the intended route on your first play, although if you're bold you can snar some good stuff in there. it's just a bitch your first time in because there's necromancers along the route that resurrect the skeletons.

the weight thresholds are different, i believe in DS2 you could get the fastest roll as long as you were under 50-60% equipment capacity. you have to stay under 25% to get it in the original, if you go over that you have fewer invincibility frames and longer recovery. 25-50% is more recovery with some invincibility, and 50%+ has additional recovery on top of that and no invincibility.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

my torrent is at 6.5%

i feel like this is one of those games i should read the manual of before i start
more metal
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

hey luke did you give this a try yet
User
Metal God

Post by User »

torrent is at 91.4%
more metal
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

you must have australian internet speeds or something
User
Metal God

Post by User »

it is now complete :grim:
more metal
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

if you're playing ds1 install this http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/19/
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

aye dsfix is absolutely essential. i still have no idea how they released a retail pc version with a fixed internal resolution and never updated it :alien:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i wonder how they ported it, maybe they hired a 3rd party team that wasn't capable of actually fixing real issues
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i got distracted by replaying OoT :oldryan:
more metal
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

well, let me be the first to tell you to stop doing that and
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i'm having a hard time getting hooked on ds1, it's not drawing me in quite like ds2 did.

also 5 steps into blighttown i wanted to kill myself
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

bring lots of poison/toxic purging meds :idea:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i went back to ds2 last night and beat the blue smelter demon (after about 20 tries) and then sir alonne

now all i have left is dark lurker, ancient dragon, and the kings pets :oldryan:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i still haven't installed it because OoT and business but it will happen
more metal
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

Does anyone have DS2 on PS4? Worth getting? I'd like to play DS2 again but too lazy to hook it up.

Super love to Luke for play OoT!
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

:stormysignal:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

nah i only have the original version on PS3. if you really loved it the first time around and have nothing else to play it's probably worth a look, but if you haven't played bloodborne yet i'd prioritize that.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i am basically playing OoT because of that video game introduction screen thread
more metal
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

where are you at in OoT? i started playing it over the summer and have only been picking it up very casually. i think i just finished lord jabu-jabu
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i am about to do the jabu boss

i haven't played it since the old, old days, i think i replayed it again around 2003-4 but not since. it is really, really easy. i am hoping water temple remains the challenge i remember it being.
more metal
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

Hahaa! I got you.

I bought Bloodborne last week but haven't really liked it so far. The control is kinda clonky and I don't like the tight spaces that never seem to end. I'll probably continue it at some point, but just hasn't grown on me yet at all. So in the meanwhile I've been playing DS3 pvp a lot.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i was at a fellating lover's house and we were drinking and i said i had gotten this dark souls thing and his ears went up like an antenna and he told me that in fact the important game is demon souls and we went inside and he had it on ps3 and he challenged me to beat the first level and 2.5 hours later i still had not beaten it but i was up to the phalanx boss which i discovered later is made considerably easier if you have herbs to replenish your HP and fire to kill the little bastards with but i didn't have either of these things

i liked the aesthetic of demon souls and the combat system, it was basically like zelda 64. i am looking forward more to playing dark souls now
more metal
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

:thingy:

demon's souls is the original and in many aspects still the best in the series. there's some weirdness like the world tendency mechanics which can be a pain to deal with, but it's still the benchmark for level design in the series (followed very closely by dark souls). on average, the bosses are also probably amongst the most challenging if you fight them straight up, but with maybe one or two exceptions there's very effective cheese strats for most of them.

2.5 hours is pretty good for making it to the end of 1-1 for the first time, i'm pretty sure i took longer than that. grasses are fairly common drops in the first area though so you can farm up a shitload to heal up indefinitely while you whittle down phalanx. did you kill the red eyed knight at all?
User
Metal God

Post by User »

fuck no i did not kill that red eyed bastard, what the fuck was with that hard-on bearer

i could kill the blue eyed guys no problems though

the dragons also killed me
more metal
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

he guards the entrance to an optional boss you fight much later on in the game :ba:

once you're more accustomed though you can kill him at low level for easy early-game soul farming
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

this is one of those threads i wish i could make stop alerting me about new posts
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

gleeso has not mastered the basics of roll-dodging past the new post notifications
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

i dont understand the question