Ein Physical Fitness Thread.

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Re: Ein Physical Fitness Thread.

Post by happiness and harmony »

ought to start squatting engine blocks
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I reached a point where doing more work was producing diminishing returns and causing me to crash and burn, weakening my immune system + getting sick/feel lethargic most days, despite eating a fuckton of food and sleeping properly.

It is now time for me to to up the book smarts in strength training and apply some fancier principles than just "fuck it, more sets or more weight than last time RAAAA".

Fortunately, the technical lifts like the snatch and cl+j are still way within my strength capabilities so I continue to make non-stop progress there. It's a little extra motivation.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

sounds like someone's making excuses for not hoisting engine blocks
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

I wish I could snatch but it's such a complex movement
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

It doesn't have to be at all.

To learn a snatch you can use a broom stick or empty bar, you can gain the flexibility from using this. Add weight when you want but even exercises like a snatch grip dead lift or a snatch high pull will give you confidence to do the exercise. You'll gain a lot of power from these exercises alone.

You don't have to do a full snatch (catching the bar at the bottom of a squarsh), you can do power versions where you catch the bar when in a half squarsh position or so. And be aware that the people in these videos have been snatching since they were very young every day. The snatches that most people do are no where near as polished or quick as these videos.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

how much does an engine block weigh anyway
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

What sade said. Depending on your current level of mobility it may take more time to be able to hit the positions comfortably and safely. There's also a component of "understanding" required, proper execution is really hard to put into words. The best resources for me were these tapes by a former US olympic coach:

the calstrength tutorial videos, catalyst athletics, and just recently the book on olympic weightlifting by Greg Everett which has the best explanations I've read on technique. Get that book if you're serious about learning it right the first time around: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By-Ezhy5lEPAWHA2YXhPWUhjZWc/view?usp=sharing

I had some minor coaching in the beginning but my technique quickly surpassed my instructor as he wasn't an actual expert in the olympic lifts. Still getting someone that understands the lifts and can spot mistakes is a good thing to have early on + every now and then after a few months of training alone.

Last year I could barely snatch 40kg consistently, I'd nail 1 out of every 10 tries. The other day I snatched 70kg perfectly 10 times in a row in a span of 10-13 minutes and 80kg is right around the corner. :xx: And my progress is considered slow, if I were snatching daily I would have probably surpassed 100kg by now as my squarsh is more than enough for it.

happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i bet a 66 camaro would fuck you up
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

How are those pull ups going Lavabug? Still doing 100 every other day? It's about the only exercise I can do consistently that doesn't cause me any injuries! 
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

dildo toward/chin ups I do 50 every other day/on off days, not really pushing for progress. Nice to have a rack at home that I can do dildo toward ups on. I usually get 3x10 and then do rest-pause to get the last 20. I don't have a plan with them really, I am unsure how to build up volume with them without having it affecting my other lifts. I only did 100 in a day once and couldn't properly strap-on dildo my arms for 2-3 days. :redneck:

My overhead strength was strongest when I was doing around 200+ @ bodyweight or 100 with a 45lb plate throughout the week. Perhaps I should build up to that again.

Starting to do rows at home too now that I have a barbell. I basically want the ability to crush a walnut with my shoulder blades, anything that can correct hours of sitting down hunched over and straighten out my upper back is a good thing.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

yeah, it's a big one
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Got 320lb x 5 on the squarsh for the first time in months on Friday, with a fever. Looks like this method is kickstarting my progress. :xx:

Volume day today, still sick:

squats 290lb 5x5
cleans 175lb 15x1 on the minute
behind the neck push press 5x5 150lb, I think this is a PR, may have to check my log to confirm.

I've been rebuilding my form on cleans using a tape on the floor to force myself to stop jumping forward in compensation for launching the bar forward. It now happens less often. Just watching some technique tutorials from this hard-on bearer (London gold medalist) has fixed the fuck out of my clean too:

happiness and harmony
Postwhore

on saturday i hauled several hundred pounds of potting soil and compost and steer manure across a parking lot and into my car and then from my car to the backyard where i used it to adorn pots and dress beds

then on sunday i hauled about 1200 pounds of stone from the side of the yard where it was doing nothing except existing to the other side of the yard which becomes a muddy mess every time we get a nickel-inch of rain and made a walking path out of it

it was a good weekend for physical fitness :idea:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

my lower back feels like I was spanked with a 2x4, I haven't been this sore in a while
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i stretched before beddy bye and feel good today :greenie: later i will chop to length all this hoebag firewood i've got sitting around
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I also got some bands and started doing this on my knees and ankles every now and then

I have not found anything scientific that supports doing this, everything I read prior to trying it was hearsay. But I do notice a substantial acute reduction in stiffness/ache. I wonder what gleeso thinks of this.

If you have a spare bicycle inner tube laying around, I would give it a try.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

:idea:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

snatches on the minute: 160lb: twelve singles in a row with no faults. Then a catastrophic fail that sent me shooting through under the bar like toothpaste out of the tube. :redneck:

Getting better. :xx:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I have joined a local weightlifting club and now train there twice a week for the time being + do basic stuff at home with my equipment. The coach encouraged me to try out an in-house friendly competition at the end of the month and the training is currently centered towards that goal. I hope I can at least fix my clean in time to get something over 100kg overhead. 

I am now the proud owner of a singlet. And a few sets of incredibly sexy tights that have been aiding in saving my nads from impact on heavier cleans.

Also tore a callus on my left hand and it is currently annoying.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

It the snatches, made 80kg today and almost got 85: 
https://youtu.be/o7Y0aiu2L_s

Also achieved my first full 90kg C&J. I had done each of these individually before but never the full strap-on dildo. Also tore another hand callus in the process.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

Looking good son, look after your hands though. Get some pumice stone for your calluses.

How much squatting are you doing? That's the real question! 

I've been to a bunch of different physios now for my knee, lots of exercises but not much help so far. I'm finding that I am able to do kettlebell swings without pain, so I'm just doing them a few times a week for my actual training/attempt at not getting fat.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i lift the mug to my mouth all day

then the beer glass in the evening

it's hard work but no injuries yet
more metal
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

cawfee soon

mug liftery :xx:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

[quote="sade"]
Looking good son, look after your hands though. Get some pumice stone for your calluses.

How much squatting are you doing? That's the real question! 

I've been to a bunch of different physios now for my knee, lots of exercises but not much help so far. I'm finding that I am able to do kettlebell swings without pain, so I'm just doing them a few times a week for my actual training/attempt at not getting fat.
[/quote]
I do use it the callus remover and moisturizer, needs to be more regular.

No PR's in squats, the squarsh programming my coach has me do is low intensity medium/high volume, only twice a week which is easy for me, so my max has stayed the same afaik. Not an issue as my snatch and CJ have been steadily improving with his tweaks and an asston of pulling and shrugs he has me do, but maximal squarsh and upper body strength is something I'm going to focus on after this meet. I want to see those 200kg's flopping about on my back.

Do you have patellar tendinitis/tendonosis? I would look into eccentric squats on a slant, it's a rehab exercise that apparently works wonders for knee issues.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

It the morning squats

Not as ballistic as I'd like as my floor is squishy, it is definitely harder to squarsh at home. Laying down a MDF board under the rack was an improvement over just using a bare carpet, but it still isn't as solid as I'd like.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

Decent weight there, I can see some bigger numbers coming in your Olympic lifts with these kinds of squats. 
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Embarrassingly I was squatting more than this a year ago, I capped out at 155kg 3x5 weighing 4kg less. It is my goal to achieve 4 wheels by the end of the year, ideally 200kg for a single. I was short by 10kg last year and haven't trained super heavy (in excess of 140kg 3-4x per week) since November.

So my max BS probably regressed by 10-15kg, but my snatch improved by almost 40kg in the past year. :redneck:

Work/shit should settle down in about 3-4 weeks, then it's back to daily squatting. 2x per week just doesn't feel like enough but that's what my coach has me doing as meet prep for next weekend.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

that is embarrassing
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
User
Metal God

Post by User »

:gaylol:

i printed off https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World-systems_theory and lifted it with my toes 40 sets x 30 in 90 min nose picks
more metal
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I had it the fun in my first meet. Sleep deprived, still got a new PB total and snatch, plus it's now in the books. Heaviest lifts:

Jerk sucks, needs more squatting power. I wanted to attempt 100 but my coach had me take conservative jumps. 
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

sleep deprived :frown: you know how fucking important fucking sleep is, you rank amateur

rank
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Stress and performance anxiety prevented me from relaxing. :homework:
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

The clean and jerk looked light! lots more in there. Are you planning on sticking with a squarsh style jerk or moving to a split jerk? would be good to see you go lower in the catch, will definitely set you up for lifting bigger weights.

Congratulations on your first competition. 
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

[quote="Lavabug"]
Stress and performance anxiety prevented me from relaxing. :homework:
[/quote]

did you get constipated as well
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

No, I pooped the very same morning and weighed in at my desired weight class by just 0.1kg. Had I not pooped, I would've probably been over.

I'll be sticking with the power jerk for now. though I was doing full squarsh jerks for a period of about month and got to about 90% of PJ. Once my time frees up in 2 weeks I'll be able to train more and play around with more variations and maybe consider the split in time if it doesn't cause knee issues.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

milton man, you need to get a new hobby
more metal
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

This is the best hobby I've ever had by far. I get to meet it the sexy women in short shorts on a regular basis.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

that is a queer way of defining "hobby"
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

Powerlifting! Squats, bench, militarypress (why the fuck that goes to a dildo??) and deadlifts! Been out of loop for few months but slowly getting back into full cycle. I obey Wendler 5/3/1, best shit ever.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

:alien:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

Yesterday AC was busted at gym, hot as fucking hell. After warming up I was already sweating.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I am currently front squatting up to a daily single (120kg atm) and 2x2 back offs every morning, and some pullups, pushups, and light overhead press variations during this active rest week.

Next week I start a long 12 week periodized cycle programmed by my coach. 4x per week with 2 two-a-days. 5x10 front squats in the morning then 5x10 back squats with some press and assistance work in the evening. :homework::::::::
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

Hails for 120kg front squarsh, sick shit!!
User
Metal God

Post by User »

careful with your enthusiasm, he will dump 100 youtubes of said squarsh
more metal
diabolik

Post by diabolik »

Box squats RULE, hamstrings destroyed!
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

My best ever FS was 125kg for 2x2. Attempted 125 today after I got 120 and bailed. 
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

135kg, long time ago now! almost 2 years. weighed 76kg at the time.

Getting back into cycling now - have done three rides this week, today I did 25 miles so hopefully it's something I can keep up somewhat pain free.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i just ate a bag of doritos
more metal
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

sade did bill shoot that video for you
Skinfection wrote: