Ein Physical Fitness Thread.

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
Lavabug
Metal God

Re: Ein Physical Fitness Thread.

Post by Lavabug »

I'd probably get injured the first day.

[quote="sade"]
I have do wins, don't get as much use these days! heh, you thought about seeking out others to train with now that the weights are getting up there Lavabug?
[/quote]

Do Win's or Pendlay Do Win's? I've heard mixed things about them, thought of buying them at some point but I fell for these shoes as I saw a video of Klokov using/promoting them :redneck: They are fucking beautiful, they could pass as dress shoes.
There are 2 buddies I see every now and then at my gym who are pretty competent. One is an oly lifter and the other a powerlifter with a decent squarsh/DL (bigger than mine at 30lb lighter bodyweight), he's actually gonna try for a local meet I believe.

My days/hours are not consistent as I usually do 2 days on 1 day off, very rarely 2 days off per week, I don't always train on the same days so it's hard to match up schedules. It's not like I need a spotter for any of my lifts as I don't flat bench and I know how to safely bail squats, but having a partner would indeed be more fun.

If I take those Oly lifting classes (1 hour sessions at noon), I may be able to meet with more like minded people. There are 2 oly bars and bumper plates in my gym that don't get much use so that could work out. I already train four 2-2.5Hr sessions a week so I'd need to restructure things or add more days if I plan to practice the lifts consistently. Just started doing arm shit again and immediately seeing the results so I don't want to drop that!
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

The Pendlay version I guess, they're the only ones I've ever worn, much better than converse that I was using for a few years. 
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

PR's:

OHP 140lb 5x3, finally, after about 6 sessions getting 6-8 doubles on this weight. Also attempted a 150lb single and got it without too much struggle, exceeding the 1RM calculator result of 148. I am convinced low nose picks and consistency are the only way to go with the press. I strain with a given weight for 2-4 weeks and all of the sudden it becomes fairly easy.

Front squarsh: 245lb 3x5

Did a 15-20lb reset on the back squarsh and push press and a 35lb reset on the deadlift as these have been stagnating and I am a bit burnt out. Trouble locking out the 180 push press and a cramp/pain in my upper back/erectors creeped up from shrugging 425 yesterday, which didn't allow me to attempt to DL 350 again today.

Maybe I should find another place to shrug, getting the weight up from knee height is by far the hardest part.

Also did 2x7 and 1x6 with a 45lb plate with dips. Never done this much weight and my shoulders feel fantastic.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

I'm glad your shoulders are feeling great, wish mine were! You are as strong at front squarsh as I believe I ever was, bit jealous really.

My squats are going steady, have to watch them though as my knees feel a little unstable. My lower back is a real weakness at the moment, muscle has been lost there from not training so I am putting in back raises and extra volume training it. Currently doing 3x3 backsquats every time I enter the gym, not sure why I picked this rep scheme to progress with, Once I fail a weight I'll drop the weight down quite a bit and start again with 3x5. I'm up to 255lb, can hopefully get towards 300lb without much effort, weight is around 73kg/160lb (very light). I'm the smallest person in the gym.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I recall you pause front squatting 125kg/275 a while back, I don't think I could hit that weight yet. Your scheme looks like a track to success. Since you're doing that low a rep range, you could take advantage and do explosive nose picks to train that CNS and stretch reflex out of the bottom, if you're comfortable with it/your injuries allow for it. But maybe a pause scheme with triples is best if your posterior chain is feeling weak. Nothing has developed my posture as much as the pause squarsh.

Back squatted 315 for 3x5 last time, today I failed with 4, 4, 3. Then again my eating today was not very sensible. Unsure if I should just deload further or stick to 315 for a while and start high volume (5-7 x 3) pause squatting alternating with front squarsh every other session like I used to, which I think was a major contributor to putting 50lb on my squarsh over the course of 4 months).

First deload push press with 165: 4,5,4. Tricep lockout is an issue, I am not recovering quickly enough from weighted dips 48hrs before this. Perhaps I'll return to 2 sets of dips instead of 3.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

I've done 135kg front squarsh, but if I did 3x5 with 110 I'd probably be around 135kg x1 shape. 

For posterior work I'm just keeping up the squats, add in a deadlift variations every other session and blast the back raises. Paused may get used at some point, I throw them in when I'm warming up to see how comfortable the bottom position is, but for heavier work I will admit they're not the most comfortable things for me.

I did 265 (120kg) 3x3 today, tough going. I need to start eating properly as the weights go up because it wasn't easy today. 
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I would advise against using pause squats as a warm up to regular. IME, they slow you down and inhibit generating a lot of force/rebound out of the bottom if you do them before. If you intend to do regular and paused on the same day, I would do regular first.

My paused triples are usually 30-40lb lighter than my true 3-5RM. I've gone up to 300 for a really fruital triple the day after doing 335 for a single, but I'm resetting to 285 today for 5-7 x 3 and see how it goes.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

i went for a solid three-mile run this morning and then a five-mile hike with the pupapup this afternoon. we will take another long walk through the woods before dark tonight
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

pause squarsh 285 went up for 6x3. Rests were short, not too difficult except for that last one, so I think 6 sets is the right volume at this moment in time.

press 140 for 5x3 again, after the squatting, slightly harder than doing them first but satisfactory. 6x3 will be attempted next time and if it goes well it's time for doubles with 145.

DL reset to 315 went up for a fast 2x5 double overhand, which is a PR weight and rep-wise using this grip. Upper back cramp has mostly vanished.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

First oly lifting class today, learned to do some snatch pulls with 50kg. Some were pretty perfect, according to the teacher. Also did some overhead squats fairly decently with just 40kg. Then they had assigned to do some assistance work like squats, GHR's and ab stuff. I just went up to a 110kg front squarsh triple, as I am still pretty beat up from yesterday's pause squats.

We pretty much follow the rubric he sets up for us every day and I he said I can definitely skip out the assistance in favor of more oly lifts if that's what I want to get out of the class. I think I could do just front squats 2-3x a week at the end of the oly lifting, since it's only a 1hr class I'd rather spend the time learning sharpening the snatch and c&j.

Need to plan out my lifting schedule around this. Could do my own lifting Tue/Thu + Sat/Sun since the classes are M/W/F, but I may have to skip out on one of them if it starts cutting into my work/study time too much.

My grip is fucking non-existent, I think I'm going to have to cut back on the forearm/pinwheel curls!
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

This is what my new resetted routine looks like, alternating 3x a week, including the last lifts

A:
squarsh: 305 3x5, push press 165 3x5 (pr!), pendlays 185 5x5, shrugs 2x10 365, incline bench 2x3 180

B:
pause squarsh 285 6x3, press 140 6x3, deadlift 320 2x5, + arm stuff that won't take over 15 minutes.

I finished A in just under 2 hours, B usually overruns that so I removed the 1 set of stiff legged DL's and will probably have shorter rest periods in the arm stuff to make it so.
Inverted Crosses And Gorebongs
Metal God

Post by Inverted Crosses And Gorebongs »

The boobies photo is gone. 

Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Pause squarsh PR: 290 for 6x3, actually not too difficult, but rest periods were longer as I was sharing the rack.

320lb flew up easy on the deadlift today for 2x5, so much that I practically shrugged it close to my belly button on the first rep. Probably a double overhand PR. I had done 160kg power shrugs the day prior in the Oly lifting class, and the day before that I did high volume regular shrugs. My traps are going to get fucking huge. :redneck:

2 stupendously cute chicks at the oly lifting class. :jizz: One told the other she likes my hair. I am going to have a hard time resisting saying something about their deep squats in tights.

Reduced the assistance volume to just 2 sets of shrugs+incline, 2 weighted dips + 1 barbell curl to failure. Seems to be working just right, no longer affecting my main lifts at the moment. Also alternating weighted and unweighted pullups from day to day.
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

squarsh spot those young whores :xx:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

One does strongman training at another gym. She power shrugs 160kg like it ain't shit and she's purdy and charming.

I'd let her press my log and lift my atlas stones, if you know what i mean. Today she said she was 'mesmerized' by my front squats.
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

:cool:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

sounds like interesting times in the miltonic world :xx:

i been running a fair bit this year but still haven't done anything along the ohio river trail. i will go for a nice long ohio river run on the morrow. seven miles or bust
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Had to miss the last oly session but I did some practice on my own that day. 225lb snatch pulls for 4x3 with short rest periods, I'm getting better/faster at them. Did some overhead squats with 115lb for 4, 4, 3, still learning and feeling through the whole range of motion and holding bottom position.

Also got some weight PR's: front squarsh 250lb 3x3. Today's pause back squarsh 295lb 5x3 + a double, because fuck that last rep. Next time.

Unfortunately my pressing strength was nonexistant today so I backed off to 115 for 3x5. Lame but I didn't feel like grinding out doubles and singles for 30 minutes, the gym was packed and I've no mp3 player to help with concentration.

This is what my squatting looks like now, not counting overhead squats M/W/F:

Sun: regular/pause 6x3/3x5
Mon: front squarsh 3x3
Tue: pause/regular 6x3/3x5
Wed: front squarsh 3x3
Thu: regular/pause 6x3/3x5
Fri : front squarsh 3x3

Next up: regulars at 315 again, should fly up easy this time. Can't wait to see what this paused work and frequent heavy front triples have been adding to my true 3RM, next month or so I'll know.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Front squarsh 3x3 PR: 115kg/253lb, so a 3lb increment thanks to the kg oly weights!

Day prior got 315lb backsquat for a the easiest, most upright and calmest 3x5 I've done with that weight to date, using very little stretch reflex. I certainly had 5x5 in me, but I am no longer doing that sort of volume if I hope to squarsh 6 days a week consistently!

The pause squarsh has made me stronger but I seem to have lost a bit of practice using the reflex as I'm using it less often. Gotta wake up those fast twitch fibers again and speed up my heavy squats, perhaps I should limit paused work to just once a week going forward. Or split my 6 paused sets into 3 fast triples with normal weight and 3 paused triples to make sure I'm training the fast motor patterns every day.

Also did my first full snatches with just the barbell yesterday. Apparently 3 of them were perfect (out of about 20-30 tries). The direction change in the second pull is confusing (where the elbows begin to rotate as you get under).

I also weighed in at 198lb 3 days ago which was a big surprise, this is a 3lb drop in under 2 weeks. I need to eat more!
Metal God

Does anyone else get really hungry after doing cardio? This started happening to me a couple of weeks ago. 

Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

tara, food is basically the bodys way of obtaining energy
Metal God

Okay, doctor. Why all of a sudden is this happening to me? Am I not eating enough good calories throughout the day? 

Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

do you also feel the need to drink liquids after cardio, tara?

drinking water is basically the bodys way of obtaining water
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

What do the MABB powerlifters think of the bench press? :huh:
Metal God

[quote="Verbal"]
do you also feel the need to drink liquids after cardio, tara?

drinking water is basically the bodys way of obtaining water
[/quote]

I drink water before and after the work out. About a half an hour later, I get really hungry. Usually, I'll just grab a few crackers or walnuts but last night I was REALLy bad and ate a lot of something horrible. :oldryan: 

Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

my god what did you eat
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

[quote="Ninny"]
What do the MABB powerlifters think of the bench press? :huh:
[/quote]
I do not powerlift since I don't bench I guess. I haven't since last July because I wanted to focus on overhead presses and don't want an overdeveloped chest, seems all that is good for is reducing my mobility and worsening my posture, making it harder to do the oly lifts that I'm learning now (this is something I've wanted to do for a while).

Also I'm paranoid about rotator cuff injuries and the bench seems to be the most effective way to get one.

Also the hot chick in oly lifting class lives with her bf. :homework:
Metal God

[quote="Verbal"]
my god what did you eat
[/quote]

...Image      :tear: 

Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

you disgust me
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

max out monday in O-lifting class: 120kg front squarsh single followed by 3x5 with a light 100kg. May attempt 125 next Monday. Also did a 45-second 130kg static front hold which was not hard, not much light-headedness. Abs were fucking rock solid after that.

Also after many attempts got a 40kg snatch with non-terrible form. Countless nose picks with the bar thereafter. Getting better.

Day prior got a legit 295 6x3 paused squarsh and 325lb 2x5 deadlift, PR on the double overhand grip I believe. If I get 2x5 with 330 it should be a rep PR. Also 5x3 again with 140 on the OHP but I missed one rep in the middle set. Really had to grind for these, slowly.
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

Last weekend I returned to the gym after a month and a half of no exercise. Boy did I get my ass kicked when I tried deadlifting.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Good form and proper pacing/long-term programming is everything.

320lb squarsh for a strict and fast 3x4. Could've churned out the 5th, but I am trying to avoid grinding nose picks and failing as much as possible until I break my last maxes. Next day 5's will be ground out if necessary. I don't think taking a safe max front squarsh single the day prior had anything do with it.

170lb push press for 5, 4, 3, did not pace myself but at least I know it's my true 5RM, 10lb below my old 3RM. With about 65 pullups thrown in between.

Shrugging 385 with better form now. Pendlays with 190, form is strict but I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting any benefits from this as my pull is a bit slow. I am thinking about replacing shrugs and pendlays altogether with more snatch pulls and some other form of high rep rowing for some more horizontal pulling, but the dumbells at my gym only go up to 120.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Worked up in singles and doubles on the push jerk, clean pull and snatch grip deadlift up to 80kg, 140kg and 150kg.

Day after (today) I reduced my pause squarsh volume by a half, but still got a lifetime PR: 300lb 3x3. Not too hard. Will add a set every time I pause squarsh again up to 6 before upping the weight. Also pulled 330lb/150kg deadlift again for an easy 2x5, but I'm starting to struggle with the double overhand grip now.

Weighed in at exactly 199.5lb today. About a 6000 calorie surplus this week is helping me not lose too much weight. :redneck:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i have had three excellent runs this week. today was short and all hills :homework:

saturday is the true test. if i can run nine miles at race pace i have this thing well in hand
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
User
Metal God

Post by User »

I don't run anymore :oldryan: - maybe I will start when we move house.  We applied for a great one earlier this week but the agents passed us over for some other couple :frown:
more metal
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i bet they work for ASIS :fuckoff:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
User
Metal God

Post by User »

Institutions :frown:

Purpose in life :suss:

Money :shakefist:

Donuts :idea:
more metal
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i agree with 62.5% of that
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
User
Metal God

Post by User »

Always the contrarian
more metal
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Is running like... squatting horizontally?
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

no squatting is like running in slow motion and wrong
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Did some full cleans and push jerks today. Worked up to some 60kg clean triples. The instructor tells me my form and timing is getting close to being dead on accurate, I am getting a full depth catch and felt like I could handle a lot more weight. :xx: Thinking sneaking in some doubles and triples into my regular workouts just for extra practice, as they felt great. I could also clean all my regular overhead press sets as they are just 64kg.

Also did some squarsh balance and overhead squarsh balances (weights hanging from bands) which sucked.

A 140kg/309lb pause squarsh max single is scheduled for Monday.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Rep PR's

squarsh 320: 3x5
push press 170: 3x5

Felt clean and tight as shit, probably thanks to the upped calories. Breaking that 180 3x3 push press and 330 5x3 squarsh plateau is right around the corner. Also replaced pendlay's with regular bent over rows this week per the recommendation of the oly lifting instructor, as I really want the best middle and upper back development possible and getting heavier eccentric loading is the only parameter I can change as I'm already doing pullups, shrugs and deadlifts regularly

It looks like I'll have to take 6 days off for a conference trip. :oldryan: I need to figure out if they have any workout facility at the place...
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

you could do chest squats and cardinal lunges in your hotel room instead. and a few sets of extension presses never hurt anybody either
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I shall grab hold of it the tiny puerto rican women and squarsh and push press them instead.
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

[quote="Lavabug"]
Worked up in singles and doubles on the push jerk, clean pull and snatch grip deadlift up to 80kg, 140kg and 150kg.

Day after (today) I reduced my pause squarsh volume by a half, but still got a lifetime PR: 300lb 3x3. Not too hard. Will add a set every time I pause squarsh again up to 6 before upping the weight. Also pulled 330lb/150kg deadlift again for an easy 2x5, but I'm starting to struggle with the double overhand grip now.

Weighed in at exactly 199.5lb today. About a 6000 calorie surplus this week is helping me not lose too much weight. :redneck:
[/quote]
I can hang with you on one number ;)
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

140kg/309lb easy paused single. I can feel I shall soon be repping out 315 paused.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Finally pulled a decent snatch:
[youtube][/youtube]

Also despite having not trained for 6 days I went in yesterday and did 3x3 300lb pause squarsh again, it was much harder this time. Pressed 134lb for 8x3, gonna experiment with the volume here a bit. And pulled 335lb double overhand for 5 and 4, as my grip was failing on the last one.

I lost a pound during this trip, bizarre. I have a nagging pain in my right calf where it inserts into the joint that hasn't gone away despite 6 days of not lifting, but it goes away when I warm up with lots of deep flexion. Started taking additional fish oil caps to see if it helps with the inflammation.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

First time squatting regular heavy in a week. Did 320 for 3, 4, 3, 2 without forcing it too much. Next time I'll go for 5's, but the transition to strictly triples may be just around the corner.

Started cleaning all my presses today, as my skill level is sufficient. Did a 10lb reset on the push press because of this and still got 160 for a relatively easy 3x5. The clean certainly takes a bit out of me but it's nice to not need a rack to myself all the time. Will go linear 3x5 til I hit 180 then stick to triples for a while, as light-headedness will definitely be a limiting factor. I need a good 3 seconds after cleaning to make sure I won't pass out.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

[quote="Lavabug"]
 squatting regular heavy
[/quote]

oh lawdy
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people