Ein Physical Fitness Thread.

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
Lavabug
Metal God

Re: Ein Physical Fitness Thread.

Post by Lavabug »

This is the good way, should not take you more than 6-8 months to get back to where you were with the muscle memory. I was surprised how quickly I regained my old strength.
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

I don't think there is such a thing as muscle memory. 
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Probably not in the traditional bodybuilder sense, but certainly having memorized the motor patterns for the lifts through repetition and the ability to generate force in the positions has given me an advantage. It took me 2-3 years of lifting to get to pushing 32kg dumbells and squatting/DL'ing 120kg back then. Took me only a year to get them over 140kg now, despite having lost all of the muscle and then some when my bodyweight dropped from 87kg to 78kg.
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

This year I managed a;
290 deadlift
220 squarsh
220 benchpress
for 4-6 nose picks

I plan to divide the year in four, mix up routines as much as possible and add long breaks to hopefully keep things fun. I also bought a massive bucket of whey. I hope in this way to lift my proteine intake to >120 grams daily, keep a rythm in workouts and see what happens.
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

[quote="Lavabug"]incline bitch presses[/quote]
:dizzy:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

[quote="Ninny"]
This year I managed a;
290 deadlift
220 squarsh
220 benchpress
for 4-6 nose picks

I plan to divide the year in four, mix up routines as much as possible and add long breaks to hopefully keep things fun. I also bought a massive bucket of whey. I hope in this way to lift my proteine intake to >120 grams daily, keep a rythm in workouts and see what happens.
[/quote]
This is good. I don't understand how your squarsh is not higher, mine has overtaken my DL. Flexibility thing maybe?
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

Hey Ninny that looks like you're growing very strong. Any recent pics of what you look like?
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

I will probably never squarsh more than I deadlift :huh: I'm not pleased with the way I look. If the added whey brings massive gains I will make a pic :)
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Just rowed 225lb for 5,4,5,4,4. Feelin like a big boy now for having used 2 plates. Also front squatted for higher rep sets today and exposed a weakness: my rhomboids. I failed on the last set of 3x5 using 225, which means my upper back is unacceptably weak. This shall be addressed with a vengeance.

Hey Ninny does your squarsh look like the one on the left or right;
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Somewhere inbetween :P I do need more flexibility. I watched these video´s in the past;

I trust these guys know the correct way to squarsh. Squats :xx:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

This form of foam rolling has done a lot for my flexibility and form when squatting, the first few times it will be insanely painful but worth it, the benefits are immediate:

The cues I have before dropping are a deep breath and picking the chest up and chin up,, cervical spine/neck packed "back" but not arched, flexing the glutes to keep the hips from shooting back much and keeping the chest up throughout the movement. I never release any air until I'm 3/4 of the way back up now, I discovered this was holding me back a lot. Every bit of pressure helps keeping the spine straight. When I rebound out of the bottom, I lead with the head and push "back and out". Back =  force is concentrated in the heels/center of foot. Out = generating torque, "spreading the floor out beneath you" to bring the hips forward.

This is pretty much what I aim for:
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

:interessant: and also impressive lifts

I was given the advice to just squarsh and hold that position for a while. I think I will keep doing this (daily) and it already seems easier to hold this position :idea:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Indeed pause squats are really awesome corrective exercises and they put on muscle in just the right places. They expose all of your weaknesses. You can do them every day with just a plate on each side, after regular squatting and it'll do nothing but help you refine your technique.

Doing 7x3 pause squats with 30-40lb less than what I normally squarsh on different days has helped me get stay more and more upright, prior to this I would use even less and just keep doing them until my form started to break down. When I "fail" a squarsh it still looks like I am doing a normal rep with good form, it just becomes very slow or comes to a grinding halt and the weight goes back down again. :redneck:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

315 for 3, 4, 3. Almost passed out on that 4. Getting closer.

Deadlift dwindled today by 1 rep compared to the last day, still had some fatigue left in me.
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

You only really need 45 minutes per session. The difficult part is being able to visit the gym enough times per week.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

That's the easy part for me given it is 100 metres from the office and I will go before work every week day.
more metal
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Recent sessions have featured some new rep and/or weight PR's:

squarsh 315 : 5, 4, 4. Moving up in weight.
front squarsh 225: 5, 5, 5, moving up
strict ohp 135 : 3 then 6x2, then 140lb x 1
push press 160: 5, 4, 3, 3. Moving up.
DL 315 5, 4, finally got to 5 nose picks. Moving up.
Rows 225 5x5 across, getting easier to hit the belly button each time. Moving up.
Shrugs 335 3x8 or so, til I fail. Noticing a definite improvement in my upper body strength since I started doing this regularly at the end of every other workout.
Pause squats 285 5x3.
Tricep dips 3 x 15 or incline press 165 2x5 on alternating days at the very end of workouts, don't want to overdevelop this. Also started using chalk regularly except on the shrugs, grip strength is improving and I'm taking good care of the calluses.

I've actually noticed I do a lot better when I train on consecutive days even if I'm sore, or even with less than 24 hrs in between sessions. The Bulgarians probably had it right. Going for a 10lb increment across most lifts this week, feeling adventerous.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

i signed up for a half marathon in march. this was a good decision
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

some rows for the hoes and squats for the butts. Did 5x5 with the former and 4, 3, 3 with the latter with a slight hangover and it wasn't too difficult.
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

:xx:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Pressed 135 for 5x3 finally. Front squatted 230 for 3x5 and pulled 320 for 2x4. Still feeling confident so I'm upping another 5lb next day.

Also seem to have gained 2lb but I can't see any difference in my body. Dem gainz.
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

Maybe the gain is subtle. Your ratio of fat to muscle may have improved slightly, but since you look at your self every day, you didn't notice it.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Of course, I cannot tell much difference month to month myself anymore. But a rapid 2lb gain is generally fat or water weight and tends to be visible. The last time I weighed myself was over 3 weeks ago.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

squarsh 325: 3, 2, 2
push press 165: 4, 4 ,4

Grinding out the PP up to 170.  squarsh will stay there til I get 3x5. Almost 150kg...

I have now adapted to training 5 days a week and am doing this day after day with only 1 day of rest (with some intense ab rolling) in between 2 consecutive workouts, number of sets in parentheses:

back squarsh (3), push press (3), row (5), shrug (3) + minimum 60 pullups + incline bench (1)

and

strict press (5), front squarsh (3), deadlift (2) + minimum 70 pullups + dips (3)

May consider lifting the frequency and volume to 5x3 across lifts and train every day if schoolins permits, down the line.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

Take things steady mate. It's great to see progress. Add days slowly, 5x3 is both relatively high intensity and volume at the weights you're dealing with now.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Yep all increases in volume/frequency are gradual, I am paying close attention to not burn out. If I start missing nose picks I know I need to stop until I get accustomed, but that hasn't happened yet because I think I've been setting realistic goals for every workout (ie: if I attempt a 10lb squarsh increase over a week, I will temper my expectations to 3 doubles the first time, 3 triples the second, then add extra sets of doubles and triples til I get to 12-15 nose picks total volume, then start attempting sets of 4-5. Once I get at least one set of 5 followed by 2x4 I know I am physically ready to increase again). So far it has not taken me more than 4 attempts with a new weight to get to 3x5. Deadlift and upper-body is a whole different story though.

Did 2 doubles + 2 triples with 325 yesterday (second try with this weight) for instance and still felt like I had more left in the tank. So the next back squarsh day will probably have at least one set of 4.

If I do decide on 5x3 it will definitely take me a good 2-3 weeks to adapt, don't know if that will slow the rate at which I can increase weight though, I've never felt stronger than with what I'm doing now with slightly less volume.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

So had some interruptions, but have been getting a minimum of 3 sessions per week. Dropped the front squarsh for a while and just back squatting every day, but at 90% weight on days I deadlift to have a bit more in the tank. Narrowing in the stance slightly.

Recent numbers:

squarsh 325: 3x4 then a triple to make up. Felt tight. Plan to try 330 for 5x3 now.
Press: stuck at 135 5x3, I have done this at least 4-5 times now, it is a bitch to progress.
Push-press 165 3x4, have also done 170 for 3x3.
Deadlift 325: For 4 then 3. Also proper stiff legged with 275 for 5 at the end just for fun.
Weighted dips with 35lb plate: 2x6-7
Shrugs: 365 2x8 or so, not counting nose picks on this.

Still getting at least 150 pullups a week in + band pull-aparts/rotator cuff work. And rolling out with the ab-wheel more frequently, allowing for this level of visibility despite being relatively fat/bitch-titted:
Lieutenant Ripley
Ancient One

Post by Lieutenant Ripley »

Nice boobies!
Inverted Crosses And Gorebongs
Metal God

Post by Inverted Crosses And Gorebongs »

Holy shit. 

droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Oh for fucks sake. Tara, Angela save us.
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

Your boobs are sagging lavabutt. Hit the incline bench.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I already do one max set every other session. :santa: I think my chest isn't going to look any prettier because of my genetics, so no use in doing more volume. When I benched + incline benched a lot, it looked exactly the same just bigger, to the point where I couldn't wear button shirts my size.

PR's of the week: pulled 335 for 2x3, pressed 135 for 6x3.

Failed the last set of light squarsh day because I was feeling tired, but I reracked and got the remainding 2 nose picks out immediately after without any problems. I am back at exactly 200lb/90.5kg and I think that might be the reason, I hadn't had as many calories for a few days straight.
Lieutenant Ripley
Ancient One

Post by Lieutenant Ripley »

Nice motivation :santa:
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

[quote="Lavabug"]
I already do one max set every other session. :santa: I think my chest isn't going to look any prettier because of my genetics, so no use in doing more volume. When I benched + incline benched a lot, it looked exactly the same just bigger, to the point where I couldn't wear button shirts my size.

PR's of the week: pulled 335 for 2x3, pressed 135 for 6x3.

Failed the last set of light squarsh day because I was feeling tired, but I reracked and got the remainding 2 nose picks out immediately after without any problems. I am back at exactly 200lb/90.5kg and I think that might be the reason, I hadn't had as many calories for a few days straight.
[/quote]

Max set? What do you mean? One rep max?
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

1 work set, 4-8 rep range.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Was held back last heavy squarsh day and only got 330lb for 2x2 and a single, whereas I did the same weight for 5x3 just 3 days prior, body must still be adapting + improper breakfast that day.

Today rocked. Pulled 340lb for 2x3 and pressed 140lb for 8x2 today. Along with easy light squats 3x5 with 305lb. Sticking to a 2x3 linear progression with the DL and hopefully it will take me far, it feels just right.

Now doing 25 pullups with a 45lb plate instead of just 50 bodyweight pullups every other workout.  So my 200 pullups/week will now become 100 weighted pullups or so, perhaps I will alternate bodyweight pullups in the beginning

Added in some arm work and an extra set of incline bench as I now have the time to do beauty parlor exercises. I don't ever recall curling 50lb dumbells, but they're going up for 2x8. Close-grip benching 170 for 2x7 due to lack of close-grip dip station at this gym.

Bodyweight looks like it's staying at 200 this week. Happy with this.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Some mo gainz:

squarsh single: 335, when I was intending 3x3, but it felt awkward so I did 315 for 3x5. I finally realized my problem: the floor at this gym is not flat and is throwing me off, may refrain from high volume heavy squatting because the imbalance is tipping me forward, irritating my left knee and the rack they have is very low, so dumping this weight from behind will probably ruin the barbell. Just another week of this place...

Push press 175: 5x3 where one of the sets was actually 4 nose picks. Might've been the lighter squats prior to this, but it went up easy. Huge PR.

Pullups 5-7 sets of 5 with a 45lb going up relatively well.

Pendlay's: 185lb for 5x5 only missing 3 nose picks across sets. By missing I mean failing to hit my sternum hard with the bar, I don't count those nose picks.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

:oldryan:
more metal
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Can't stop the gainz train. Choo choo splendid mate of mine.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Some all time firsts this week:

pause squarsh triple and double with 300lb. Later 3x3 with 290.

deadlift 345 for a triple then double. Still progressing 5lb every time for 4-5 sessions in a row, just missed one rep this time as I pushed the bar away from me on the last rep so I decided to drop it. Technique is getting much better.

shrugged 405lb 3x8. Misloaded the bar 20lb heavier and didn't realize it. I now know what it feels like to have 400lb in ones hands and to pull it up from knee-height.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

Getting back into going to the gym now, there's one only 10 minutes walk away so I joined that. I do basically the same thing every time I go (which is every other day). I train 3-4 rowing exercises and then go and do some form of squarsh. So far taking it somewhat easy with my squats, but back training is going well, I intend to keep this up and introduce a pressing movement once a week once I feel my shoulder is up to it (the plan is late February??). 

I weigh about 73kg now, squatted 100kg x5 this morning. Didn't feel easy. 
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

You got it sade, keep at it.

Got new shoes in the mail yesterday and they are fucking awesome, my wei rui's are getting loose/velcro is becoming useless. Huge improvement in squatting stability with the wooden heel and the fit is much tighter such that I barely need to use the strap:
http://www.amazon.com/Risto-Sports-Tiburon-Weightlifting-Shoes/dp/B00PV55X42
Got it for that price shipped from the manufacturer, using 'save10' during checkout.

Got 2x3 with 345 last pull day, so 350 will be attempted tomorrow. Also front squatted for the first time in 6-7 weeks and got 5 easy triples with 245.

Finally back to my school's gym and squatting is a lot better, but I seem to have lost some work capacity. Got 330 for a single and failed. Then did 2 triples then a double and failed again. Looks like I am set back 2 weeks in the squarsh department, as I did

Push press 180: a double, a triple, and then double. Getting better, only 20-25lb away from bodyweight. Tried holding out the weight overhead for a good 10 seconds on the last rep before I start getting a little shaky. I'm pretty confident I could clean and jerk my own bodyweight now if I had the technique down. I may be able to get some cheap Oly lifting classes on weekdays this semester from the health sciences people, this would be very exciting.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

Cool shoes.  I also got some more shoes.  Hiking boots :grim:
more metal
^_____________^
Ancient One
Location: I'm Going To Pull Your Endocrine System Out Of Your Body

Post by ^_____________^ »

I did a push up once.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

Before and after pics plz!!!
more metal
^_____________^
Ancient One
Location: I'm Going To Pull Your Endocrine System Out Of Your Body

Post by ^_____________^ »

All you need to know is I went from zero to hero, ready to bash some motha fuckin' queer-os, my knee grow.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I do a cock pushup single every morning. No warmup, max out.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

I have do wins, don't get as much use these days! heh, you thought about seeking out others to train with now that the weights are getting up there Lavabug?
User
Metal God

Post by User »

If I trained with Milton I would spend the whole time plying him with beer and giving him relationship advice.
more metal