Ein Physical Fitness Thread.

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Re: Ein Physical Fitness Thread.

Post by happiness and harmony »

how long's your path there skinster
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

good distance that :xx:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

make sure to avoid compton and long beach!
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

[quote="sassapants"]
congratulations you goofy-looking right-arm-holding-higher gray-prison-clothes-wearing splendid mate of mine

but "power snatch" is the only part of that post worth acknowledging :gaylol: power snatch
[/quote]

There are also variants of the lifts called the power jerk, snatch pull, hang snatch ...
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

those all sound more painful
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
User
Metal God

Post by User »

I went for a jog yesterday evening also with the dog :xx:

Probably about 8 kilometres.  Norva didn't want to come home as there was a ball involved.  She loses her shit when there's a ball.
more metal
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Motherfuck smolov jr. 10x3 with 315lb took me just over an hour to complete. :oldryan:

But on the plus side, my squarsh form is getting sharpened to a razor edge.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

I bet that will come in useful
more metal
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i worked out for about 90 minutes today, because i skipped yesterday

so i did yesterday and today today

it felt grand. :thingy:

in conclusion, :thingy:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

[quote="User"]
I bet that will come in useful
[/quote]
It should translate into a better clean and jerk. But my latest attempts have sucked, I have failed 175 in two sessions when my best before jumping on this routine was 185 and 205 just clean. Perhaps things will improve after I finish the program (8 squatting sessions remain).
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

You probably shouldn't squarsh on razors
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Successful test of 1rm overhead press: 155lb finally. Followed by 3x3 at 87%. I wonder how it would respond to doing 3x3 at 90% often, say at the end of every other workout? I came close to doing 5x5 at 87% (got a 5x4 with 135lb, a goal I've had in mind for 2 years).

Last smolov jr. squatting session was 7x5 at 290lb. The physical challenge is quickly catching up to the psychological challenge, I have not felt genuine lactic acid burn in my legs for years until this (to speed things up I kept the rest time to under 3 mins) and I am noticing a huge improvement in cardiovascular endurance.

Routinely doing weighted pullups with a 45lb plate for sets of 5-6, typically 4x6, every other day. Noticeable difference. Also making progress in arm movements I do every other day.

Did some 15 second overhead static holds with 205lb and 225lb. Right elbow is slightly inflamed from that last one as I probably wobbled a bit much near the end, doesn't hurt when I press but will lay off of this movement until it feels better.
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

[quote="Ninny"]
Last week a 240lbs squarsh and a 330lbs deadlift :xx: Just a few nose picks, I'll stick to this weight until it gets easier
[/quote]
I still feel shitty from these deadlifts :redneck: Time to forget about adding weight and just focus on health :idea:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Deadlifts are hard to recover from, and recovery takes longer if you're older! A near 5RM deadlift session does knock my performance down for a few days, and that's if I'm used to pulling twice a week. I have not done deadlifts regularly for months.

Started doing the oly lifts with a "daily minimum" approach. Instead of chasing a max and then doing back off sets, I now pick a weight that I can nail 5 perfect singles in the snatch and clean (no jerk currently). Today that was 115lb in the snatch (4 good, missed one), and 175lb in the clean (all flawless and the first was a double). Preceded by 3x2 and 3x3 of lighter technique work: high hang snatches and drop cleans.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

[youtube][/youtube]
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

:xx:
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

I haven't been training much at all now, but results from an MRI came back showing that I have a paralalbral cyst in my shoulder. I'm due for another scan early next month and hopefully after that it can be treated. Hoping next year I can find some form of sport that I can participate in if things get better.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Man that sucks. What does that mean for your lifting? Zero pressing movements for a while? Is it worse than a rotator cuff tear and can you fully recover and return to proper lifting again?

I snatched 125lb for 4/5 attempts today and am happy with that. Cleaned and push-jerked 180lb for 3/5, but the second and last successful attempts I missed lockout on the jerk. I tore open a scab on my shin again and bled a bit. Using shorts on the clean sucks, might put a knee sleeve on my shin to see if it stops that from happening.

Ended on a good note with 155lb and did doubles in the pause squarsh up to 300 2x2.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

I haven't lifted weights properly for about a year and a half now. I've done pull ups and such, but even yoga aggrivates it so I don't really bother, just getting skinny fat each day.
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

I'm going to hit the gym when the job situation here works out.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

[quote="sade"]
I haven't lifted weights properly for about a year and a half now. I've done pull ups and such, but even yoga aggrivates it so I don't really bother, just getting skinny fat each day.
[/quote]
Fight it dude. Plenty of people with a history of severe injuries can make a comeback.

Granted this hard-on bearer is a pro, but this is still inspiring to say the least:
[youtube][/youtube]
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

rocket shits
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

push pressed 180lb 3x3. Lifetime PR.

Also in between those sets I got 4x6 pullups with a 45lb strap-on dildo hanging from me, time to add weight.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

Bros also uses supplements as far as I know. Pretty sure Pat Mendes was caught a few years back (maybe 3 now, he had a 2 year ban), I can imagine a lot of it goes on in his gym. Not sure I'd want to live that kind of life just to train! I'll be back, just needs sorting first.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

[quote="sade"]
Bros also uses supplements as far as I know. Pretty sure Pat Mendes was caught a few years back (maybe 3 now, he had a 2 year ban), I can imagine a lot of it goes on in his gym. Not sure I'd want to live that kind of life just to train! I'll be back, just needs sorting first.
[/quote]

Yep Mendes was not the only hard-on bearer that got busted. I don't know of Broz himself is on gear or not, but I don't think roids magically heal a ligament that otherwise would not heal through dilligent, uninterrupted rehab and exercise.

I like his concept of establishing a "bare minimum" of strength. Being able to squarsh and press the bar, do 10 pullups, 25 pushups or something like that is something I always have in the back of my mind if I ever have an incapacitating injury.

I've read some recovery stories and universally it seems true that doing NOTHING at all makes you deteriorate really fast. All the lifters that recover and come back were training at least once a week doing something. That Irish WL Clarence Kennedy had really bad tendinitis and cut back from lifting every day to just once a week with lighter weights going through the motions, and now he's stronger than before (probably also on the juice now from his looks).

The "daily minimum" I've established for myself for the snatch (50kg) and clean (70kg) so far I've been able to match up to every day, even on days I feel shitty like today, right after doing 4x4 squats with 315lb and being more sore than I've ever been in a long time.

Speaking of which I am wandering around cluelessly with my squats and I don't know what to do next. I am clearly attempting way too much volume whenever I try a new rep scheme because the last 3 sessions I've either failed or had one too many grinding nose picks and am now TRULY burnt out, like slurred speech and total lethargy. I may really have to consider squatting less, considering the Texas method as the prospect of less volume is more appealing and leaves more energy to concentrate on bringing up my pulls.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

It sounds like a kind of make or break time for you then, you either get through these times of tiredness by hitting new personal records or you break something. You're not getting paid to lift and I can't see that you're competing for anything so I would probably slow it down some. Texas Method is fine, as long as you start of way below your maxes, like ... so that you have 6-8 weeks of confident training (no chance of missing a thing). I remember a really good template called MadCow 5x5 but it's definitely a powerlifting/non-Olympic lifting template.

I have a scan booked for 20/07. So by the beginning of August I should know what treatment I'll be getting.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Neat.

5x5's are a nightmare with the weights I'm handling now. 5x5 with 80-85% is essentially what I was trying to do monday (stopped at 4x4 315lb) and left me exhausted for most of the week. It may have been other factors, since the most volume I've ever done with that weight is 3x5 (multiple occasions since Feb.) and 10x3 (hard but not impossible, though it took me over an hour).

I stalled after my first 8 months of 5x5 when I started 2 years ago, and have since only made progress on by vaguely following a scheme like: 3x5 + an extra set for missed nose picks(this really worked long term), 5x3(at best 2 weeks at a time), 3x3 (about a week), 5x2 and 3x2 (1 or 2 sessions in a row) and cycling back. I will try the Texas method. In the meantime, I've decided to focus on front squatting and paused back squats, that way forcing me to limit the volume and weight, but I should probably sneak in a regular squarsh rep here and there so as to not lose the stretch reflex skill. Yesterday I did paused with 300lb for 5x2, almost no soreness which is great, but I have clearly lost the conditioning to do these as I used to be able to do triples for 5 sets.

Plus side is I can focus a bit more on the deadlift now and develop my grip, it's been months since I've pulled anything over 325 (and could not go above triples without grip failure). Double overhand only for carryover. Yesterday I got 315lb for 2x5 after the paused squats and +55lb weighted pullups for 4x4, and it wasn't hard to hold on to.

Oly lifts keep progressing. Snatched 125 for 5 perfect singles, though I need to speed up the descent to handle bigger weights, as I am essentially power snatching to face-height, then descending slowly to the hole. Also time to focus on bringing up the clean + jerk. I jerked 190lb from the rack the other day and it felt fine.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

The "original" 5x5 programmes (Reg Park/Bill Starr) were actually what we would think of as a set of 5 with 4 warm up sets.

MadCow (which is a template of the applied Texas Method - which I believe Bill Starr "invented" or at least put a name to it) I believe is a set of 3 followed by a lighter set of 8. This is done on a Friday. You then follow this up on Monday with the same weight you did a set of 3 with on Friday, but now for 5 nose picks.

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/madcows-5x5/
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

The 5x5 I did was the stronglifts/starting strength flavor, same weight across the sets. I've never trained up to a top set of 5, which is essentially what Fridays on the TM is like (which is supposed to be a PR, true 5RM).

It is funny that the TM evolved out of Glenn Pendlay's oly lifters finding ways to slack off on the volume for back squats. He found that the lifters that cut corners on volume ended up having the strongest back squats in his gym, one of them being Donny Shankle who had a 280kg+ back squarsh and maintained that well into his 30's:

http://pendlayforum.com/showpost.php?s=7ed0b8b28e90c1a4373e38933281593c&p=42610&postcount=3
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

I honestly thought Justin got it from Bill Starr and Mark Rippetoe since he had worked with them. I had no idea that Glenn put his name to it, good to know - I'm a big fan of him and his lifters at California Strength, although I think he's moved on to the other side of the country now (maybe one of the Carolinas??)

If you're interested I have Justin Lasceks first book and Mark Rippetoes book on Intermediate programming (in PDF form). I think they both touch on the Texas Method.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Yep I actually bought Rippetoe's practical programming a few weeks ago, not the newest edition but it was cheap. I've skimmed a bit and it certainly looks like a good resource, but a lot of it may be outdated. I'll check out Lasek.

I've been following the shit out of calstrength for over a year, countless hours on youtube watching those kids l1ft. Hah, it's probably the main reason I decided to give oly lifting a serious go.

I don't think Glenn put his own name to it, others probably did it just like they did with the Pendlay row. He had a stroke or something and now he's doing ok, I don't know if he actively coaches anyone but I think he still does seminars. I subscribed to his personal youtube channel to keep tabs on him haha.
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

I had no idea, just assumed Glenn had moved on - I don't watch the CalStrength youtube channel half as much anymore. Glad to hear he's ok though.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Reduced volume quite a bit. Now squatting 3 singles at 85% (315lb) at the end of my oly lifting days and it feels good and controlled (currently 3x/week). Short rest periods, little fatigue and I feel strong as fuck afterwards with a massive throbbing in my legs.

On the days I don't do the olympic lifts (2-3 times/week) I'll do my upper body lift (press or push press, 3x2 or 3x3) with weighted pullups. Then either pause squarsh 300lb for 5x3 (got it last time, upping 5lb) or front squarsh 5x3 (started off easy with 225lb, 1-2 minute rest periods). Followed by either 2+2 sets of deadlift+shrugs or 4 sets of rows, all at 5 nose picks or more on the shrugs. No PR's yet, just 325lb 2x5 on the deadlift working on the grip, 455lb on the shrugs, 240lb on the rows.

Feeling much, much better now.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

hey milton post some more of those awesome videos of you squatting in the gym
more metal
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I know you want dat ass. No new pr's, nothing worth getting on film. I'll be sure to get my 405lb/double-bwt squarsh on film when it happens, shouldn't be long.

Failed my programmed snatches for today, so I did this as punishment/technique work: 10 singles with 1 minute rest. 115lb/52kg. Trying to speed up my descent.

[youtube][/youtube]

Also did rack jerks and it sucked, my left knee is bothering me. My technique must be pretty terrible.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Some things:

145lb power snatch. 10x1 115lb snatches on the minute, no misses.

Clean+push jerk 155lb 5x2 every 2 minutes. Relearning the jerk.

No squarsh progress, I failed the second week of texas method with what was supposed to be light for me. 5x5 with 300lb took me waaaay too long to recover from, and I am completely detrained 4 days later when I am supposed to hit 330lb for a set of 5, I could barely crank out a double with the accumulated fatigue, when I've been doing 330 for 3x5 thrice a week for weeks at a time and far less pain. 

It seems I just cannot handle that much volume and max set of 5 in the same week at this time. Out of frustration I've returned to alternating regular and paused squats for triples, purely because my form does not deteriorate and it beats me up less than higher rep sets. Front squarsh has regressed, time to fix a shoulder imbalance.

Watching one of Broz's lifters (jorsh) on the youtube with the same back squarsh max as me (170kg) throwing around 105kg and 130kg in the snatch+jerk has made me realize how very inefficient my classic lifts are. Really starving to train with other people again. I am not missing a single session of the oly lifting classes when the semester starts in 3 weeks.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

last week i moved all of our belongings into a moving truck

tomorrow i will move all of our belongings out of a moving truck and into a house

i found out last night that the truck weighs 8,900 pounds

therefore, :luke:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
User
Metal God

Post by User »

exercise :xx:

moving furniture and boxes :homework:

new places :bang:
more metal
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

5x3 315lb twice this week. Hard but ok.

Learning the hook-grip, doing some static holds with 315lb for 20s+ every now and then. Got some thumb tape and wrist protection coming my way. No wrist pain of any sort, just think I might want to have them in the long run to prevent cysts or having issues with guitar playing as the snatches and cleans keep going up.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

[quote="User"]
exercise :xx:

moving furniture and boxes :homework:

regenerated death places :bang:
[/quote]

this checks out
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

I bought a bike last month and I have found something I can do without too much trouble (injuries). I used to bike to work and really enjoyed it just for commuting so I've always thought about getting one for exercise but have been put off by the cost of a real modern road bike (my commuter was older than me and weighed almost as much too). I've been cycling consistently for a few weeks now and enjoying it, trying not to take it too seriously for now, the area I live in is quite hilly and I can get to some quite remote/rural spots within about 10 minutes so it's good for my mental health as well just to get out of the house on an evening.
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

:dutch::::::
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Is the cycling world changing in england now that you have Froome and Wiggins?
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

World changing? I'm not sure about that - cycling has been big for other reasons, the Tour of Yorkshire was big and track cycling has been big with the Olympics, Wiggins is a bit of a fan favourite, Mark Cavendish too probably as they both seem to have a bit of a personality, but Froome isn't known in the same way at all I don't think - I haven't really spoken to many people on the subject, so these are just my assumptions.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Finally some consistent lifting for me again. No weight PR's, but I'm not failing nose picks or taking too long to recover. In the last week I've done two sessions (four total) like this: 6x3 squarsh with 315lb, <4 min rest periods + Push dildo away 170lb 6x3. Front squarsh with 250lb and 5x3, same rest period + deadlift 340lb 2x4 (shooting for 5). I think the PP and front squarsh are volume PR's, I've never done that many successful sets in one session.

Going to keep the weight and nose picks per set fixed and add a set every week until I get to 7 or 8 sets on the squats or reduce the rest periods to 3 min and complete all 5-6 sets flawlessly, then go back to 5x3 with additional weight and push the volume again. I'm sweating a lot more and my form is a much more consistent.

Best of all: no more calve/IT band inflammation or pain of any sort in the lower body. Just mild upper body fatigue from being out of practice with front squats.

No interesting upper body lifts, just increasing the rowing volume and getting at least 120-150 slow tempo pullups in every week, no weight currently. Begun doing snatch presses from the squarsh position and it leaves an interesting throbbing sensation in the shoulder. Currently 65lb for 3x8.
Egg
Neophyte

Post by Egg »

i do 10 mins of cardio on a crosstrainer with my strong lifts 5x5 coupled with some accessory exercises to improve on some weak points like lats and biceps and also change the flat bench to incline and squats to this "machine"; 

Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

How long you been running the 5x5 and what are your lifts/bwt?
bills bro
Ancient One

Post by bills bro »

You've changed the most important lift in the program.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

cycling wins

i want to do another cycle tour like the one i did in sulawesi last year

more metal
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

norway 2022 :idea: