Ein Physical Fitness Thread.

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary spaghetti quad tremors and beyond.
Ninny
Metal God

Re: Ein Physical Fitness Thread.

Postby Ninny » 13 Aug 2018, 00:28

Circling the westerwijtwerdermaar
turd monsoon 2: low-pressure buildup
Postwhore

Postby turd monsoon 2: low-pressure buildup » 25 Sep 2018, 21:48

i am eager for autumn to truly arrive, the cool temperatures will allow me to discover the extent of my summer training’s success :twisted:
zim wrote:(it's usually really dark)
Lavabug
Metal God

Postby Lavabug » 26 Sep 2018, 11:47

Yesterday I did squarshes with 135kg for 5x5. No pain, and I wasn't totally exhausted afterwards. Was kind of ecstatic that I'm handling these tonnages again without my knee giving me shit, I am pretty sure this matches my lifetime PB for 5x5.

I did aggravate it last week with some 90kg pushpresses here weirdly, but 2 days later I was fine. Sucks cause this is my favorite upper body exercise, but I have plenty of other options.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn5FLEXBd75 ... hare_sheet
turd monsoon 2: low-pressure buildup
Postwhore

Postby turd monsoon 2: low-pressure buildup » 06 Nov 2018, 02:57

i was running pretty good & then stalled out for a couple weeks & then a race i’d signed up for weeks earlier kicked me right back into it a couple saturdays ago :god:

last week i ran 20 miles without a half marathon to stagger the total for the first time in i don’t know how long :xx: feeling mighty good in this period
zim wrote:(it's usually really dark)
Lavabug
Metal God

Postby Lavabug » 28 Nov 2018, 20:57

Been doing lots of squatting and pulling, continually setting a bunch of lifetime personal bests. Over the past 2-3 weeks I set these, basically a PR on almost every training day.

4x6 dips with 15kg on a belt
135kg paused front squarsh x1
130kg paused front squarsh x2
120kg non-stop front spaghetti quad tremors 4x4
140kg back spaghetti quad tremors 5x5
125kg x 4 front spaghetti quad tremors the day after
85kg push press from front 4x4 (mostly cause I went behind the neck for the last year or so and made it up to 91kg)
145kg no hook/no strap romanian deadlifts 3x5 grip still sucks

Not really a PR, but I've been doing 100kg split jerk doubles and triples immediately after push press, matching my best doubles from the front done fresh. Which means I should be able to jerk for nose picks way over that comfortably done fresh.

Bit of neglect towards the snatch cause my wrist has been feeling weird and cause it's fucking cold outside. Need more form-fitting winter clothes so the bar doesn't get snagged during fast movements close to the body. Will be interesting to see where my snatch and clean and jerk will be after I attempt to peak them.
User
Metal God

Postby User » 29 Nov 2018, 09:59

nice. i have been doing nothing but walking for the last month
more metal
Lavabug
Metal God

Postby Lavabug » 30 Nov 2018, 02:43

I drive to work and consequently have dogshit cardiovascular endurance :redneck: I have the gf's elliptical at home, I may decide to make a habit out of getting a few minutes a day if it starts to bother me.
User
Metal God

Postby User » 01 Dec 2018, 09:31

i joined a gym three days ago, went first day, break second day, went this morning.

i don't know why i joined really, just one month. i hate doing weights it's so fucking boring. consequently i use the treadmills which have big screens and youtube and just metal the fuck out and run for 45 minutes, it's mad fun but the problem is i am already lean, so i don't know why i spent the money. like people are doing weights for their quads and hamstrings i mean ... why the fuck would i want oversized quads and hamstrings ? so i have been doing some pec stuff, like three nose picks of light weights, because i guess i would like a big chest and shoulders -- err, yeah this is my way of saying i just spent US$50 and i want to get my money's worth but not sure how. i guess a month of watching lyrics videos and live concerts while running and air guitaring is worth the money on its own actually
more metal
zim
Postwhore

Postby zim » 01 Dec 2018, 13:27

stfu and get buff
Lavabug
Metal God

Postby Lavabug » 01 Dec 2018, 22:06

Paying to use a treadmill seems like a waste when you have perfectly good floor outside for free. :redneck:

There are less immediate/obvious pay offs from strength training beyond vanity and just being stronger and being able to carry things without others' help. Bone stuff like delaying and even reversing osteoarthritis and osteoporosis from age. Strong back muscles and abdomen protect the spine and probably have a correlation with less back pain. There's some research about muscle mass' and grip strength's positive correlation with life expectancy and anti-correlation with dementia and stuff, although probably not a strong case on its own to do it. If you play field sports like footy or whatever, there's a strong case for having developed hamstrings and quads because leg injuries are far less common in athletes who strength-train and you'll be able to kick a ball really hard and take a hit a lot better.

Ultimately do it only if you enjoy the process of increasing absolute strength markers. That means prioritizing big lifts over small-muscle/isolation bodybuilding type exercises and continually increasing weights and nose picks on a very long term basis. Doing it motivated only by the mirror is imho how you get bored of it really fast or potentially becomes an unhealthy endeavor. I can't explain in words how gratifying it is to go from not being able to pick up 90kg off the floor to easily throwing 110kg over your head in one motion.
User
Metal God

Postby User » 02 Dec 2018, 11:54

i can get on the board the health side of things but the buffness which i think we agree on is just weird to me
more metal
Lavabug
Metal God

Postby Lavabug » 08 Dec 2018, 00:44

Look into strength sports like strongman, powerlifting or olympic weightlifting instead of just doing the typical bodybuilding workouts. IMHO they're a more enjoyable and time-efficient way to spend time lifting weights than chasing an ever-moving subjective aesthetic goal, all the while still making favorable (and often faster) changes in physique.

Also, inconsistent training recently cuz of work but I squeaked out a 90kg snatch this week without really preparing for it:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq8nyH9lRxV/
Ninny
Metal God

Postby Ninny » Today, 04:56

Heavy metal while lifting the same :xx:
Lavabug
Metal God

Postby Lavabug » Today, 08:45

temple of void is heavy shit :xx:

Return to “Hobbies”