ffx

Chat about your non-music hobbies here: from concocting beer and cider to Dark Souls, gardening, Canary Squats and beyond.
User
Metal God

ffx

Post by User »

after dark souls my new game is final fantasy x

at least, it would be if it let me play the fucking thing. seriously this game is 70% unskippable cut scenes. fucking waste of time, i end up using my phone more than playing

what was with square in those days
more metal
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Re: ffx

Post by jawn galliano »

what was with square in those days: that was the tail end of the golden era for square, and though they have had a few standouts since then, FFX was kind of the last gasp. yoichi wada was seizing power and forcing out almost all of the talent that built their reputation from the NES days thru the PSX era. FFX was notably the last main series entry to feature uematsu as the primary composer, and the last main series credit for hironobu sakaguchi as well (they had some early involvement with FFXI which was being developed concurrently, but had no role in overseeing the game or its expansions). a couple of years later his ambition to create the japanese EA was realized when he secured the merger with enix in 2003. FFXII from 2006 was the last outstanding release in the series, and largely because it was a holdover from the old guard. most of the key staff were either forced out during, or significantly marginalized after its release.

anyway

i'm not 100% sure if FFX was the first fully-voiced console RPG, but it was certainly the standard-setter. they wanted to use the power afforded to them by the PS2 to turn the RPG into a more cinematic presentation, and that's largely been the direction of the main series ever since

the game itself is quite good, but if you have no interest in the story there's a lot of that to slog through. i think due to having no idea how to approach full voiceovers, they made a very strange choice in localization where the english voice actors' delivery was dictated by the animations, which were themselves synced to the japanese voiceovers. the result is some truly bizarre diction, with auron being the notable exception as his mouth is almost always covered over.

out of the PS2 final fantasy games, XII is far superior in pretty much every aspect, though. unfortunately the only way to play it currently is via emulation, the jazzed up re-release is scheduled for july but i think only for ps4 currently. PC version will come 6 months to a year later i'm sure
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

I ain't remember that many but its been a good long time since I played it
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

uh, you have dark souls 2, dark souls 3, demons souls, and bloodborne

get to it
User
Metal God

Post by User »

I am using PC and can't get DS3 easily and i heard DS2 is shit
more metal
User
Metal God

Post by User »

and stormy i thought ffx was the last ps2 ff, that's why i chose it. Runs like a dream emulated at 2x resolution ony tv too
more metal
User
Metal God

Post by User »

Just, fucking cut scenes
more metal
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

No they did finally fantasy x-2 a few years after
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

nah FFX was actually the first on the PS2, it came out here in december 2001. FFX2 was released in north america in late 2003, and should be avoided at all costs. FFXII was released at the end of 2006, just a couple weeks before the PS3 system debuted
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

The real problem here is that none of these games are final fantasy tactics
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

:idea:

FFXII was yasumi matsuno's last original project with square-enix, same dude that was responsible for FFT and the ogre battle/tactics ogre series, and one of the main reasons the game was as good as it was. he was forced to resign from the project toward the end of the development cycle
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

User wrote:i heard DS2 is shit
you heard wrong splendid mate of mine, i've played through it about 3 or 4 times :idea:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

Hmmmm ok

What is stormy(s take on ds2
more metal
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

hmm, i think the breakdown is thus:

dark souls = demon's souls > dark souls 3 > bloodborne > dark souls 2

it's the worst of the bunch without a doubt, pretty much the only entry in the series i'd advocate skipping. most bosses are dull and trivial, and the world isn't fun enough to make up the difference. i think they made some improvements with the rerelease but i never felt compelled to go back to it even with fire sale level pricing on steam
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

i keep seeing this thread's title as an abbreviation for "for fuck's sake"
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

FFX :xx: I think I'll play that again soon.

I'm currently playing Suikoden 4 on a PS2 emulator. :ba:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i still have suikoden 3, 4 and 5 from my days of amassing a billion RPGs i'll never have time to play

and still have never actually played them :redneck: the first two games were wonderful though
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

Suikoden 2, much like Breath of Fire 3 and Chrono Trigger, is pure RPG perfection. :xx:

Suikoden 3 was kind of eh due to the flow of the game being way too dragging at times. Suikoden 4 feels alright. It reminds of me Suikoden 2 in some ways.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Nick wrote:The real problem here is that none of these games are final fantasy tactics
Ninny wrote:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

I gave up on FFX, way too much cut scene and not enough gameplay, boring
more metal
happiness and harmony
Postwhore