New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For fifteen years The Chapel has connected the widest morbid fanbase online.
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 44923
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Abzu » 09 Oct 2017, 04:51

That would be a great mix I think.
User avatar
iamgoat
Metal God
Posts: 5381
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44
Location: a mountain somewhere

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby iamgoat » 09 Oct 2017, 20:09

Abzu wrote:That would be a great mix I think.


<3
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 44923
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Abzu » 10 Oct 2017, 06:03

iamgoat wrote:
Abzu wrote:That would be a great mix I think.


<3

:xx:
User avatar
iamgoat
Metal God
Posts: 5381
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44
Location: a mountain somewhere

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby iamgoat » 11 Oct 2017, 01:58

This song is growing on me. The mix isn't.
User avatar
Ninny
Metal God
Posts: 11341
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 15:24
Location: Groaningagain

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Ninny » 11 Oct 2017, 18:28

iamgoat wrote: Steve's vocals are great and could actually be a little more up front for me, a little bit louder.

Resembling his Formulas vocals, I like it. I think he was a bit too prominent on Heretic :oldryan:
User avatar
Taurean Mixing
Member
Posts: 487
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:08
Contact:

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Taurean Mixing » 12 Oct 2017, 03:19

I love Steve's execution of vocals on this. It's some where between Formulas and Gateways. Going back to the let-down production as I mentioned before,
it's induced an artificial lisp in the vocals.
User avatar
iamgoat
Metal God
Posts: 5381
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44
Location: a mountain somewhere

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby iamgoat » 12 Oct 2017, 23:13

Also I keep saying "Piles of folded arms" cuz I forget the real title. I wish it was that though. :redneck:
User avatar
Taurean Mixing
Member
Posts: 487
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:08
Contact:

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Taurean Mixing » 13 Oct 2017, 00:46

Make a compromise, "Piles of folded little arms"
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Metal God
Posts: 16391
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » 13 Oct 2017, 05:42

sounds like formulas.
Image
User avatar
iamgoat
Metal God
Posts: 5381
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44
Location: a mountain somewhere

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby iamgoat » 13 Oct 2017, 11:45

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:sounds like formulas.


Not to me :huh:
User avatar
Olden Polynice
Ancient One
Posts: 1192
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 05:46

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Olden Polynice » 13 Oct 2017, 16:56

Taurean Mixing wrote:I love Steve's execution of vocals on this. It's some where between Formulas and Gateways. Going back to the let-down production as I mentioned before,
it's induced an artificial lisp in the vocals.


It creates a mental imagine of Steve being toothless/Sylvester the cat
User avatar
Olden Polynice
Ancient One
Posts: 1192
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 05:46

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Olden Polynice » 13 Oct 2017, 16:57

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:sounds like formulas.


Sounds like all previous work in different parts to me
User avatar
horse dealies
Postwhore
Posts: 66818
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby horse dealies » 13 Oct 2017, 17:58

don't worry lummo, i thought it sounded like formulas as well
User avatar
Taurean Mixing
Member
Posts: 487
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:08
Contact:

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Taurean Mixing » 13 Oct 2017, 18:30

Olden Polynice wrote:
Taurean Mixing wrote:I love Steve's execution of vocals on this. It's some where between Formulas and Gateways. Going back to the let-down production as I mentioned before,
it's induced an artificial lisp in the vocals.


It creates a mental imagine of Steve being toothless/Sylvester the cat

:frown: Yip, sad but true :eyes:
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Metal God
Posts: 16391
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » 13 Oct 2017, 20:02

IT's not a bad things. maybe a mix of Formulas and Gateways. I like it and look forward to hearing more.
Image
User avatar
Phantoon
Ancient One
Posts: 1123
Joined: 23 May 2011, 01:47

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Phantoon » 15 Oct 2017, 00:51

The snare drum reminds me of Illud drum sound a little, and it seems to get in the way during the verses. However there's enough good stuff going on to where it isn't really an issue and sounds a pretty good fit for the overall song. I'm also not really digging the long verses so much and the riffs contained there are...different. The intro riff and it's return later on is great and is like the heaving earth opening riff with a gateways feel.. It's a good song but it hasn't blown me away so i'm hoping it'll all fit nicely once i hear the album.
PeterVenkman
Neophyte
Posts: 19
Joined: 15 Oct 2017, 22:26
Location: North east UK

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby PeterVenkman » 16 Oct 2017, 00:45

Songs sound great on scrapple Music in my headphones, can't wait for the album or to see them live in November, it's been a while since I saw them last (26 years).
User avatar
iamgoat
Metal God
Posts: 5381
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44
Location: a mountain somewhere

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby iamgoat » 18 Oct 2017, 12:14

iamgoat wrote:FYI, a production is not the same thing as a mix.

A production is the recording of a performance of an arrangement of a song.

I believe you mean to say that the songs suffer from how it's mixed.

You also need to understand that mixing a record is not a one-way street. Perhaps Rutan's first mix was different (probably) and Trey guided him more towards what Trey wanted to hear. The band needs to sign off on the mix before it heads to mastering so in other words, you can't blame the engineer when you weren't there with him in the studio or were in some other way informed of the happenings there.

What we hear now is the outcome of a collaboration between an artist, an engineer and a producer (the latter being the same person in this regard). So to be fair, Rutan or any other producer and/or engineer, is never 100% accountable or responsible for the quality of the work a band puts out. It is literally in the hands of everybody involved.

I needed to make this clear. :santa:

Personally, I was always a fan of the work that Tom and Jim Morris of Morrissound put out. Their metal days were legendary and their mixes really sounded amazing.
Grim :grimb: Giant
User avatar
Taurean Mixing
Member
Posts: 487
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 10:08
Contact:

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Taurean Mixing » 18 Oct 2017, 19:02

iamgoat wrote:
iamgoat wrote:FYI, a production is not the same thing as a mix.

A production is the recording of a performance of an arrangement of a song.

I believe you mean to say that the songs suffer from how it's mixed.

You also need to understand that mixing a record is not a one-way street. Perhaps Rutan's first mix was different (probably) and Trey guided him more towards what Trey wanted to hear. The band needs to sign off on the mix before it heads to mastering so in other words, you can't blame the engineer when you weren't there with him in the studio or were in some other way informed of the happenings there.

What we hear now is the outcome of a collaboration between an artist, an engineer and a producer (the latter being the same person in this regard). So to be fair, Rutan or any other producer and/or engineer, is never 100% accountable or responsible for the quality of the work a band puts out. It is literally in the hands of everybody involved.

I needed to make this clear. :santa:

Personally, I was always a fan of the work that Tom and Jim Morris of Morrissound put out. Their metal days were legendary and their mixes really sounded amazing.


Although technically they are separate things, the vernacular has been including the aspect of the mix as well as the recording of the performance i.e. the "production process."
Honestly it doesn't really matter. It's focus on semantics at this point. It's implicit that something went wrong in this "process." To me, it was the mix. Whether or not it's based on the operator or somebody else like Trey perhaps at the helm guiding where the mix should go. Although, this mix sounds eerily similar to hate eternal mixes. And there is quite a bit of over processing, over eq'ing of the guitars especially. The kind of phase distortion that yields certain negative effects on broadband signals like guitars. Of course there's collaboration here but I don't think it's enough to say "it's inconclusive," since there's a portfolio of work to compare to and observe similar characteristics.
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 44923
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Abzu » 18 Oct 2017, 23:13

phpBB [video]
User avatar
Abzu
Postwhore
Posts: 44923
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 08:35
Location: next door

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Abzu » 18 Oct 2017, 23:23

iamgoat wrote: Trey guided him more towards what Trey wanted to hear

That's pretty much the story of Heretic's sound, if I recall Punchy's words correctly.

Taurean Mixing wrote: this mix sounds eerily similar to hate eternal mixes

I was just thinking that last night while re-listening to the song.
User avatar
User
Metal God
Posts: 8527
Joined: 14 Aug 2014, 13:18
Location: Unknown

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby User » 19 Oct 2017, 20:58

jams jams jams jams jams
more metal
User avatar
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness
Posts: 635
Joined: 03 Jul 2011, 07:07
Location: Place Of Many Deaths

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby H4T3M4CH1N3 » 20 Oct 2017, 01:37

Taurean Mixing wrote:
iamgoat wrote:
iamgoat wrote:FYI, a production is not the same thing as a mix.

A production is the recording of a performance of an arrangement of a song.

I believe you mean to say that the songs suffer from how it's mixed.

You also need to understand that mixing a record is not a one-way street. Perhaps Rutan's first mix was different (probably) and Trey guided him more towards what Trey wanted to hear. The band needs to sign off on the mix before it heads to mastering so in other words, you can't blame the engineer when you weren't there with him in the studio or were in some other way informed of the happenings there.

What we hear now is the outcome of a collaboration between an artist, an engineer and a producer (the latter being the same person in this regard). So to be fair, Rutan or any other producer and/or engineer, is never 100% accountable or responsible for the quality of the work a band puts out. It is literally in the hands of everybody involved.

I needed to make this clear. :santa:

Personally, I was always a fan of the work that Tom and Jim Morris of Morrissound put out. Their metal days were legendary and their mixes really sounded amazing.


Although technically they are separate things, the vernacular has been including the aspect of the mix as well as the recording of the performance i.e. the "production process."
Honestly it doesn't really matter. It's focus on semantics at this point. It's implicit that something went wrong in this "process." To me, it was the mix. Whether or not it's based on the operator or somebody else like Trey perhaps at the helm guiding where the mix should go. Although, this mix sounds eerily similar to hate eternal mixes. And there is quite a bit of over processing, over eq'ing of the guitars especially. The kind of phase distortion that yields certain negative effects on broadband signals like guitars. Of course there's collaboration here but I don't think it's enough to say "it's inconclusive," since there's a portfolio of work to compare to and observe similar characteristics.


Ditto. So basically, Rutan is one hell of a guitar player and he should just stick to that. Not a fan of his ways producing stuff.
Wide open 'til you see God, then BRAKE!.

Kevin Schwantz #34 - Team Suzuki Lucky Strike
User avatar
zim
Metal God
Posts: 19999
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
Location: US

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby zim » 20 Oct 2017, 07:00

i actually agree with you, i have never been a fan of rutan's production.
User avatar
horse dealies
Postwhore
Posts: 66818
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby horse dealies » 20 Oct 2017, 17:36

that's it, cancel the album
User avatar
Josh
Postwhore
Posts: 38631
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: Wouldst thou like the taste of butter and pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Josh » 20 Oct 2017, 20:56

bunch of whiny bitches in here
User avatar
Ninny
Metal God
Posts: 11341
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 15:24
Location: Groaningagain

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Ninny » 20 Oct 2017, 22:45

:santa:
User avatar
iamgoat
Metal God
Posts: 5381
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44
Location: a mountain somewhere

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby iamgoat » 21 Oct 2017, 00:34

Hahaha yeah. Let's just wait for the release and then share our stupid opinions.
Grim :grimb: Giant
User avatar
Josh
Postwhore
Posts: 38631
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: Wouldst thou like the taste of butter and pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Josh » 21 Oct 2017, 02:07

The production is fine you fartknockers

Would rather have it this way than say heretics production, st anger, or breeding the spawn, to name just a few
User avatar
Nick
Postwhore
Posts: 48770
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Nick » 21 Oct 2017, 02:43

I like heretic :chetty:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.


Ninny wrote:But I've never seen a fat sexy leopard elevator naked, what do I do when I'm not aroused?
User avatar
Josh
Postwhore
Posts: 38631
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 06:40
Location: Wouldst thou like the taste of butter and pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Josh » 21 Oct 2017, 04:22

I like the music too but the production eats turds
User avatar
-M-
Ancient One
Posts: 1642
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:28

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby -M- » 21 Oct 2017, 04:48

Heretic production is perfect!
User avatar
Hitoshura
Metal God
Posts: 18071
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Hitoshura » 21 Oct 2017, 12:29

just extremely glad we're nitpicking the sonics

for perspective consider what we were discussing 6.5 years ago
User avatar
iamgoat
Metal God
Posts: 5381
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 14:44
Location: a mountain somewhere

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby iamgoat » 21 Oct 2017, 12:39

You're right stormy. We should be glad.... but "glad" is not a word I would like to use when it comes to a Morbid fucking Angel record! :waa:
Grim :grimb: Giant
User avatar
zim
Metal God
Posts: 19999
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
Location: US

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby zim » 22 Oct 2017, 04:41

I LIKE HERETIC'S PRODUCTION
User avatar
Nick
Postwhore
Posts: 48770
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Nick » 22 Oct 2017, 05:13

zim wrote:I LIKE HERETIC'S PRODUCTION


Image
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.


Ninny wrote:But I've never seen a fat sexy leopard elevator naked, what do I do when I'm not aroused?
User avatar
User
Metal God
Posts: 8527
Joined: 14 Aug 2014, 13:18
Location: Unknown

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby User » 22 Oct 2017, 20:44

heretic is so old now

i don't listen to it enough these days, it definitely gets short shrift. just the track order and the instrumentals, i like the songs but it always puts me off
more metal
User avatar
horse dealies
Postwhore
Posts: 66818
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby horse dealies » 23 Oct 2017, 19:16

Image
User avatar
Shredlord
Ancient One
Posts: 1593
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 20:07

Re: New track on Spotify! Piles of Little Arms *youtube link added*

Postby Shredlord » 24 Oct 2017, 01:29

Image

Return to “The Chapel”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest