Why don't people like Heretic?

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Punchiest
Neophyte

Re: Why don't people like Heretic?

Post by Punchiest »

I would just like to say that it has been really fun posting here.

But...since someone is going into my posts and editing them, I am leaving.

This is obviously someones attempt to try to sabotage people's work, and I cannot be part of this.

Thanks to everyone that is a supporter of Morbid Angel and we'll see you on tour.

Punchy
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Punchiest"]I would just like to say that it has been really fun posting here.

This is obviously someones attempt to try to sabotage people's work, and I cannot be part of this.

Thanks to everyone that is a supporter of Morbid downward ascending thing and we'll see you on tour.

Punchy[/quote]

I seriously hope you reconsider. The word chili cheese fries are plain silly but not directed at anyone personally.

I really like you being here discussing stuff. Being MA or tech stuff.
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

[quote name="Uni"]
[quote name="Punchiest"]I would just like to say that it has been really fun posting here.

Thanks to everyone that is a supporter of Morbid downward ascending thing and we'll see you on tour.

Punchy[/quote]

I seriously hope you reconsider. The word chili cheese fries are plain silly but not directed at anyone personally.

I really like you being here discussing stuff. Being MA or tech stuff.[/quote]

The word chili cheese fries aren't silly anymore: when the word A N G E L is automatically changed into 'downward ascending' on a Morbid A Ngel board, it's just plain stupid and annoying. Censoring swearing is ok, but just ditch the rest.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

ok censoring swearing is a terrible idea
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Whatever, then don't chili cheese fries them either but don't change other peoples words (this much). The lame goofy fun isn't worth the annoyance.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

this much being one brewed word (since no one cares about any of the others)? i could put everything back the way it "should" be and then just change the definite article if you'd prefer :santa:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Please do; at least the bandname should be readable. The other ones aren't used that much.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

so what you're saying is, you'd like me to put all the words currently brewed back to what they're supposed to be, and then chili cheese fries the definite article to whatever i want
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

if there's a way to exempt the MA subforum from filters just do that instead

problem solved
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

no no stormy, we're close to a compromise here
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

If you want to negotiate then do so with Punchy. He belongs on this board with his great inside information.

I'm for ditching the whole word changing. That's the last remark I'm going to pollute this topic with this offtopicness.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

The way people are pissing about word chili cheese fries existing at all is ridiculous. Lighten the fuck up.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
KevinP
Mature Neophyte

Post by KevinP »

[quote name="meh."]so what you're saying is, you'd like me to put all the words currently brewed back to what they're supposed to be, and then chili cheese fries the definite article to whatever i want[/quote]

Here's a novel thought - don't chili cheese fries anything. Wasn't that the way the board worked before we had to see Cantelope and various other idiotic things ???.

Oh I get it, you hate the new record, Vincent fucked your Grandma and then pissed on your Wheaties. Boo Fucking Hoo, so you get back at the band by messing with the forum. That will really keep Trey & Dav.e up at night. :lol:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="KevinP"]
[quote name="meh."]so what you're saying is, you'd like me to put all the words currently brewed back to what they're supposed to be, and then chili cheese fries the definite article to whatever i want[/quote]

Here's a novel thought - don't chili cheese fries anything. Wasn't that the way the board worked before we had to see Cantelope and various other idiotic things ???.

Oh I get it, you hate the new record, disco v fucked your Grandma and then pissed on your Wheaties. Boo Fucking Hoo, so you get back at the band by messing with the forum. Real "cool" I guess.[/quote]

Are you just entirely daft? The word chili cheese fries have been active not only from the inception of this iteration of the board, but in previous versions as well. The excessive ones put in place this week were goofy, temporary, and OBVIOUSLY light-hearted fun. You've been here long enough to have noticed these things, haven't you? Fucking idiot.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

what pulsar said

also the cantaloupe chili cheese fries was changed back yesterday, quit relying on it. all i did yesterday was push folks' buttons for a good laugh. and the laugh persists into today! :gay:

you're really only complaining about one word. if i brewed "sandwich" to "whopper of a good meal" you wouldn't give two shits. from now on the band is going to have to be referred to as morbid an.gel because if there's one thing that tickles me more than feathered sex toys it's people losing their minds over nonsense

i'm gonna go ahead and consider this matter closed :santa:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

/thread
;,,;
Uros

Post by Uros »

As far as chili cheese fries go, I must say that you have gone overboard with it. In my opinion, it's not that funny. And while Punchy has certainly overreacted, the chili cheese fries on the band's name and the new album's name might be funny for a sec or two, but they can really kill any serious attempt of discussion we might have on this section of the board. :santa:

[quote name="Punchiest"]Just my 2 cents on a few things...[/quote]

I agree (especially about the sample replacing; I would add to that over-editing of the performances too), but again, all that is a textbook example of abusing the technology, misusing it. Technology itself is not guilty of anything. Should we stop using electricity because it can kill people? Or cars etc.? Certainly not. Reamping, as anything else, can and should be put to a good use, it just depends on the human factor how it's gonna be used.

You work with band/s who have big budgets. But just imagine small bands/artists which self finance their recordings. It's huge for them certainly. Why would they waste money they don't have recording bad takes when they don't have to?
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I've always agreed to the disliking of so much censoring. Even if it's lighthearted humor (I totally get it), I just don't think any of it is funny.

And I've been here since day one. Guess we all share different types of humor.

And for the record, I had a big laugh when I first read the "disco D" thing, I thought it was really funny for the time being. But creating it into a chili cheese fries is lame, and totally kills its comedy factor. Now, it's not funny anymore and I can see how it's getting annoying.

With Punchy on the board we finally had some more interesting stuff to talk about with getting some actual facts instead of a forum completely littered with speculation and opinions that went all over the place. I'm not saying that we should get rid of chili cheese fries just to get somebody like Punchy back (I'm not an ass kisser), but I do understand how this is getting kinda ridiculous. There's also a time when we should be able to discuss Morbid_Angel stuff on a serious level without having all these fucking annoying sensors in the way, making me want to get back and edit my posts a thousand fucking times.

But not that anyone cares because "this matter is closed".
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

So now, further valuable information is killed because of the word chili cheese fries joking. :puke: :puke: :puke:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Well Dusty pm'd me and said something that I must completely agree to, which is that we were never affiliated with the actual band.

But, it's still a pity.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Look: This has always been a fan-run board. We've never had, nor have we asked for, any kind of official status, like what Mark has with the Nile board. And we've always done more or less whatever we wanted, and 99% of the time "whatever we wanted" has been 99% goofy. Which is why sub-forums like The Chapel and Musicians tend to have actual discussions, and Free Discussion and Multimedia are full of absurdity and in-jokes and the like.

The problem with what just happened is the absurdity of Free Discussion--which is also where most of the actual back-and-forth on the Morbid Board takes place (and has *always* taken place)--bled into the stoicism of The Chapel. And I agree that there has to be a balance, so the forum isn't just gibberish (which is why all but about four of the "new" word chili cheese fries from Thursday were removed). But from where I'm sitting, the situation is this: someone associated with MA, who'd been here for all of a couple weeks, chose to interpret the censoring of the word "an.gel" as something intentionally disrespectful to the band. This baffles me, since no one has ever taken the censoring of "b.ox" or "coll.apse" personally, and felt the need to stand up for storage units or active verbs. As the hard-on bearer who did the actual censoring of the word "an.gel," I can tell you that my thought was not: "Let's have some fun at the expense of the band whose logo is at the top of the page." Rather, it was: "Let's add another common word to the common word censoring orgy currently taking place."

Now. While the gap between the two was somewhat brief, I have to point out that I made a thread in Free Discussion letting everyone know that I was going to chili cheese fries a whole bunch of common words just for shits and giggles. And despite there being between 10 and 16 people on the board for most of the afternoon, that thread got almost no attention. (You can view it here: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12261">viewto ... t=12261</a><!-- l -->) I made another thread after the first round of chili cheese fries was in place, letting everyone know that the first round of chili cheese fries was in place. And then I sat back and giggled. For a little while, anyway.

Because the other thing that happened is despite advance warning, and despite many of the people who took offense being on the board--I checked--when the warning was posted, and despite my repeating I don't know how many times that all the new chili cheese fries were going to be capital-T Temporary, and so don't get too tight in the bowels, damn near everyone threw a fit. It's rather frustrating and annoying, I must say, doing something that the MABB has a history of doing (not mass-word censoring per-se, but mass practical joking. Name change week is a similar example), giving sufficient notice about it, and then having almost everyone around to see it act like it's some new and extraordinarily disruptive thing.

Which leads me to my main point. Given what happened, and Punchy's reaction to what happened, and most of the frequent posters in The Chapel siding with him, I can only view the ongoing reaction to an.gel turning into angel (and I haven't heard a peep about any of the other MA-related chili cheese fries, all of which were asked for and seconded by other posters and not conceived of by me) as a fundamental difference between the Morbid Board as a place for shits-and-giggles nonsense, and as a place for serious MA discussion. We used to be able to have both. Due to Punchy choosing to take this personally and leave, however, it seems we no longer can. Which is disturbing for the reason I outlined above: We are not an MA-affiliated board and never have been. Punchy's reaction on here is what Neil Kernon's reaction would have been to something similar on the Nile board, the difference being that the Nile board *is* an official board. Since when do we all think it's a good idea to change the way we do business just because of one poster? Regardless of who that poster is? "But Dusty, he's sharing valuable MA-related information; it's a shame to lose him as a poster." The first part of that may be true. But he chose to leave; no one forced him away; no one picked on him; no one belittled his contributions. He misinterpreted what was going on (chili cheese fries, not mod-edits) and then chose to interpret the chili cheese fries as a deliberately disrespectful act: the word he used was "sabotage." That, to me, is someone who is equally fundamentally divorced from what the Morbid Board *ought* to be, and what it is. If you spend all your time in The Chapel and never go into any of the other forums, you aren't really in sync with the whole board. This is a hard-on bearer who has no idea what the MABB is about--or, rather, what it used to be about. He came here and started posting and at the first sign of something he didn't like, he left. If he were anyone else, as has happened dozens and maybe even hundreds of times since 2002, we all would have given him a big fat :santa: and some disparaging words on the way out the door. But because he's Punchy, and has valuable MA-related information, this all of a sudden becomes worth sacrificing some part of what the board has always been about, in order to keep him around. Not only do I not think it's a good idea to pander to people who have the arrogance to act as though this *is* an official board, I do not think that the sacrifice would be worth it.

I'm really just disappointed all around by how this turned out. Everyone has been very quick to jump to conclusions and even quicker to cast frowns, but no one seems to either understand the spirit with which the whole thing was intended or remember where that spirit came from. This is, in short, a pretty lame time to be a member of this board. But not for the reasons that you guys think it is.
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Uros

Post by Uros »

From my point of view, this is not about Punchy at all (as I said, he has certainly overreacted).

It's just that you brewed the name of the band. While I can always find an alternative for 'b.ox' or 'coll.apse' or those other chili cheese fries, I would always have to refer to the band as 'the band' in order to avoid the chili cheese fries, which is stupid in my opinion (at least for this part of the board). Also, writing dots or _ between the letters is looking weird, like some nickname in your average chat room or whatever. At this point I should say that I don't see any kind of conspiracy in the chili cheese fries, like some other posters do though.

As for this not being official MA board, I get that. But many of the MA fans, myself included, has come to this board with hope of finding some interesting details about the band (see what I did there :redneck:), not to socialize (I am speaking about the main goal for coming here).

Free Discussion board is indeed very nice for shits and giggles, but when it spills over in this section, which is meant to be the serious part of the board, you get this.

So, as Stormy said, it would be cool if you could put filters as to avoid chili cheese fries on some parts of the board.

Not everyone here has to laugh along with you/us, or to read the whole board (for ex. in recent times, I only attend this and the Musicians part, and Free part only occasionally), so no wonder why many of the visitors didn't see that thread you are speaking about.

This is just my opinion, among many, and this is not my board, so you certainly can do whatever you want with it (or Luke), but don't paint all others that don't get the board humour or whatever like they're dumb.
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

Just have something in the User CP to turn word chili cheese fries on or off universally for the user (which I'd do in a heartbeat). Problem solved for everyone - those who like them can have them, those who don't like them don't have to have them.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

[quote name=";,,;"]The way people are pissing about word chili cheese fries existing at all is ridiculous. Lighten the fuck up.[/quote]
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

i say chili cheese fries the word "morbid" to "pancakes" or "dildo" or "odorless" or "odorless dildo pancakes" or "a mild cheddar"
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I've never thought of any sections of the board as being separate from the whole. Seeing the overall attitude fracture is a bit disappointing.

I predict an official, and quite a bit less interesting, board will appear inside of a year.
;,,;
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

as long as this one is here THEY CAN FUCK OFF :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

MABB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any other attempt
;,,;
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Be quiet, the grown ups are having a discussion. :shake:
;,,;
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

theres a reason i never post in the chapel
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

just noticed this: "Metal Hammers VERY positive gleeso review"
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Verbal"]just noticed this: "Metal Hammers VERY positive gleeso review"[/quote]

They love you. :gay:
;,,;
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

its all political though
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Correct
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

Are these fucking stupid chili cheese fries worth driving away a valuable resource such as Punchy? I don't think so.
I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

The point isn't even the chili cheese fries themselves. The point is whether or not the board is going to tailor itself to the sensibilities of a fan-assigned-class of person/user.
;,,;
Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name=";,,;"]The point isn't even the chili cheese fries themselves.[/quote]

Oh, I think it is, for me at least. If the main purpose of this forum (despite it not being an official one) is fun fun fun, then the powers that be should just say so, instead of having this quasi serious sub-forum (which obviously totally fails in its purpose in recent times btw - as Vahmpy said, nearly all we have here is speculation, and very little valid info).

So again, having fun stuff is cool, but when they get in a way of something which is 'more important' (IMO, at leat on this part of the forum/it should be like that), it's not cool. Are you blind to see that, or just so stubborn in thinking that having those chili cheese fries is unquestionable, to the point of killing any meaningful discussion? The Punchy case is just one example (not his departure, but the content of his posts).

Btw I must say that it's kinda indicative that all you guys that so strongly support having the chili cheese fries even in this part of the board, are among the posters that post pretty much frequently in the Free Discussion sub-forum, and that many that don't do that are not so fond of those chili cheese fries, to say the least.

To conclude - it's pretty fucking stupid to have the chili cheese fries in the Chapel :santa:

Forum filters would solve all those issues.
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

FIGHT!FIGHT!FIGHT!FIGHT!

:brushteeth:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:necro:
;,,;
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

To my knowledge you can't single out where the chili cheese fries work
Ninny wrote:
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

When I popped my copy into my computer to import into i-Tunes, all of the text was in Japanese, and it had something like 41 tracks! After the main songs, there were over 30 3-seconds songs, and the next to the last track was an instrumental version of "Beneath the Hollow"! Is anyone else's like that? WTF? (I haven't listened to it in a few years, so maybe I forgot about all of the silent tracks.)
I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Mine has all those silent tracks :santa:
Ninny wrote:
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

[quote name="Nick"]Mine has all those silent tracks :santa:[/quote]

Have you tried it on i-Tunes? If so, is it Japanese? I don't recall buying an import...maybe I did!
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

On my iPod its all English but I also ripped it like 2+ years ago. So for all I know it was Japanese and I just changed it all. I'll throw my copy in the computer when I get home and check though.
Ninny wrote:
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

Same thing here with Heretic and those extra tracks
Wide open 'til you see God, then BRAKE!

Kevin Schwantz #34 - Team Suzuki Lucky Strike
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

I can't find my harry tick CD. Its around here somewhere though cause I remember packing it the last time I moved.
Ninny wrote:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="Shredlord"]
[quote name="Nick"]Mine has all those silent tracks :santa:[/quote]

Have you tried it on i-Tunes? If so, is it Japanese? I don't recall buying an import...maybe I did![/quote]

I bought mine here in the record store, and it also has the japanese characters. Also the silent tracks with those strange lava's and instrumental version of Beneath are on it. Every Heretic CD has those. The only difference in versions were the one disc, double disc with the bonus levels, and that version in a cardboard case, which is the one I have. My signed Formulas + Love of Lava cd's are in it. :redneck: It's cool though that my Heretic case is signed by Trey, Pete and Steve. :xx:
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

I still need that goddamn Love of Lava verison of FFF :homework:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i was going to rip my cd copy a couple months ago and mine came up in japanese as well. pretty sure it's from the 2CD jewel case limited version, it's the only one i remember buying but i know i've replaced a few random cd's over the years.

i don't remember the instrumental version of beneath the hollow, but i'll throw it on sometime tomorrow and see if i've got that too :huh: