Why don't people like Heretic?

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
FUKKET
Metal God

Re: Why don't people like Heretic?

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Spirits of the Deep Waters"]I still need that goddamn Love of Lava verison of FFF :homework:[/quote]

i want a Lava album of all the albums' lavas!

I have F's and H's (plus the extras that have some of G and D)
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="FUKKET"]
[quote name="Spirits of the Deep Waters"]I still need that goddamn Love of Lava verison of FFF :homework:[/quote]

i want a Lava album of all the albums' lavas!

I have F's and H's (plus the extras that have some of G and D)[/quote]

:idea: It's one Earache cashgrab I wouldn't complain about. Just imagine the insanity of isolated Altars lava!
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

[quote name="dingleberry expressway"]Look: This has always been a fan-run board. We've never had, nor have we asked for, any kind of official status, like what Mark has with the Nile board. And we've always done more or less whatever we wanted, and 99% of the time "whatever we wanted" has been 99% goofy. Which is why sub-forums like The Chapel and Musicians tend to have actual discussions, and Free Discussion and Multimedia are full of absurdity and in-jokes and the like.

The problem with what just happened is the absurdity of Free Discussion--which is also where most of the actual back-and-forth on the Morbid Board takes place (and has *always* taken place)--bled into the stoicism of The Chapel. And I agree that there has to be a balance, so the forum isn't just gibberish (which is why all but about four of the "new" word chili cheese fries from Thursday were removed). But from where I'm sitting, the situation is this: someone associated with MA, who'd been here for all of a couple weeks, chose to interpret the chili cheese fries of the word "an.gel" as something intentionally disrespectful to the band. This baffles me, since no one has ever taken the chili cheese fries of "b.ox" or "coll.apse" personally, and felt the need to stand up for storage units or active verbs. As the hard-on bearer who did the actual chili cheese fries of the word "an.gel," I can tell you that my thought was not: "Let's have some fun at the expense of the band whose logo is at the top of the page." Rather, it was: "Let's add another common word to the common word chili cheese fries orgy currently taking place."

Now. While the gap between the two was somewhat brief, I have to point out that I made a thread in Free Discussion letting everyone know that I was going to chili cheese fries a whole bunch of common words just for shits and giggles. And despite there being between 10 and 16 people on the board for most of the afternoon, that thread got almost no attention. (You can view it here: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12261">viewto ... t=12261</a><!-- l -->) I made another thread after the first round of chili cheese fries was in place, letting everyone know that the first round of chili cheese fries was in place. And then I sat back and giggled. For a little while, anyway.

Because the other thing that happened is despite advance warning, and despite many of the people who took offense being on the board--I checked--when the warning was posted, and despite my repeating I don't know how many times that all the new chili cheese fries were going to be capital-T Temporary, and so don't get too tight in the bowels, damn near everyone threw a fit. It's rather frustrating and annoying, I must say, doing something that the MABB has a history of doing (not mass-word chili cheese fries per-se, but mass practical joking. Name change week is a similar example), giving sufficient notice about it, and then having almost everyone around to see it act like it's some new and extraordinarily disruptive thing.

Which leads me to my main point. Given what happened, and Punchy's reaction to what happened, and most of the frequent posters in The Chapel siding with him, I can only view the ongoing reaction to an.gel turning into angel (and I haven't heard a peep about any of the other MA-related chili cheese fries, all of which were asked for and seconded by other posters and not conceived of by me) as a fundamental difference between the Morbid Board as a place for shits-and-giggles nonsense, and as a place for serious MA discussion. We used to be able to have both. Due to Punchy choosing to take this personally and leave, however, it seems we no longer can. Which is disturbing for the reason I outlined above: We are not an MA-affiliated board and never have been. Punchy's reaction on here is what Neil Kernon's reaction would have been to something similar on the Nile board, the difference being that the Nile board *is* an official board. Since when do we all think it's a good idea to change the way we do business just because of one poster? Regardless of who that poster is? "But Dusty, he's sharing valuable MA-related information; it's a shame to lose him as a poster." The first part of that may be true. But he chose to leave; no one forced him away; no one picked on him; no one belittled his contributions. He misinterpreted what was going on (chili cheese fries, not mod-edits) and then chose to interpret the chili cheese fries as a deliberately disrespectful act: the word he used was "sabotage." That, to me, is someone who is equally fundamentally divorced from what the Morbid Board *ought* to be, and what it is. If you spend all your time in The Chapel and never go into any of the other forums, you aren't really in sync with the whole board. This is a hard-on bearer who has no idea what the MABB is about--or, rather, what it used to be about. He came here and started posting and at the first sign of something he didn't like, he left. If he were anyone else, as has happened dozens and maybe even hundreds of times since 2002, we all would have given him a big fat :santa: and some disparaging words on the way out the door. But because he's Punchy, and has valuable MA-related information, this all of a sudden becomes worth sacrificing some part of what the board has always been about, in order to keep him around. Not only do I not think it's a good idea to pander to people who have the arrogance to act as though this *is* an official board, I do not think that the sacrifice would be worth it.

I'm really just disappointed all around by how this turned out. Everyone has been very quick to jump to conclusions and even quicker to cast frowns, but no one seems to either understand the spirit with which the whole thing was intended or remember where that spirit came from. This is, in short, a pretty lame time to be a member of this board. But not for the reasons that you multiple hard-on bearers think it is.[/quote]

the word count for this is like a month's worth of regular posts
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

this seemed very serious didnt it
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

as i remember it, not serious as much as annoying
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

some knickers in a twist
scunt.
Metal God

Post by scunt. »

that was actually a good read
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jorsh">
Omg Ali is so hot I want to fuck both nostrils, earholes, even his armpits and elbows. Basically I want to fuck him everywhere except his ass and mouth.

To jizzfinity and beyond
</blockquote>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Hitoshura">
also when you exit an unsuccessful interview you should just leave them with: 'if you can't slam with the best, you'll just have to jam with the rest'
</blockquote>
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i remember proofreading it several times before posting it :santa:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
scunt.
Metal God

Post by scunt. »

i wonder if that punchy fellow mentioned posting on mabb to the rest of the guys
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jorsh">
Omg Ali is so hot I want to fuck both nostrils, earholes, even his armpits and elbows. Basically I want to fuck him everywhere except his ass and mouth.

To jizzfinity and beyond
</blockquote>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Hitoshura">
also when you exit an unsuccessful interview you should just leave them with: 'if you can't slam with the best, you'll just have to jam with the rest'
</blockquote>
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

if he did i bet it was one time only in a passing remark
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i'd be willing to bet that trey occasionally glances around here - maybe not as much these days but probably back in the day
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

Why would he want to read the comments of so many people slandering his band?

Not that it's always like that here, but you know...after I quite alot changed on this forum.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

with the band itself as well :santa:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people