Trey Not Worried At All' About Fans' Reaction

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Trey Not Worried At All' About Fans' Reaction

Post by Mesarthim »

MORBID ANGEL Guitarist Is 'Not Worried At All' About Fans' Reaction To Experimental New Album - June 6, 2011

<!-- m -->http://www.decibelmagazine.com/magazine ... july-2011/<!-- m -->

Decibel magazine conducted an extensive interview with MORBID ANGEL members David Vincent (bass, vocals) and Trey Azagthoth (guitar) for the cover story of its July 2011 issue. A few excerpts from the article follow below.

On drummer Pete Sandoval's current status after undergoing extensive back surgery to repair a prolapsed disc:

David Vincent: "The doctors told him he would probably feel better in six months, but that didn't happen. It's not even about the pain going away — playing drums is not a relaxing job. I think right now he's able to get up, pop a couple of pain pills and go about his day — go to the store, do a few things around the house, light stuff like that. It's an entirely different thing for him to be able to sit behind his kit, and we understand that. Nobody's rooting for him more than we are, but I'd like to see a little more improvement than what I've seen."

"[Current MORBID ANGEL drummer] Tim [Yeung] brings a lot to the table. I like him personally, and he's a damn good player. He's not Pete, though. There's only one Pete, and obviously I'm not happy that Pete has had some of the physical challenges that he's had. Obviously Pete's not happy about it either. But it's out of my control and it's out of Pete's control, too. We want him to have a speedy recovery, and anything I can do to help him is on my list of important things."

On the six songs Trey wrote for MORBID ANGEL's new album, "Illud Divinum Insanus", which will be released on June 7 (one day earlier internationally) via Season of Mist:

Trey Azagthoth: "I did some that could be considered more traditional, and then I did some real exploratory-type stuff. As far as the traditional, I'd have to say the inspiration came from vintage big-band swing, but done in a more extreme fashion. It's swing, but at a high tempo. Even the stuff that has blast beats and real fast double-bass, the way the melody plays off the beat, it has a swing to it. But that's really not that new for us, because even songs like 'Blasphemy' [from 'Altars Of Madness'], that was one pretty much a waltz, but with blast beats. Even 'Rebel Lands', from 'Blessed Are The Sick', had a swing to it. So, that's not new for us, but I maybe found a different way to do it with these new songs."

"I did three songs ['Too Extreme!', 'Destructos Vs. The Earth/Attack' and 'Profundis - Mea Culpa'] that were definitely a whole new approach. One was based on industrial hardcore, one was based on speedcore and one was based on terrorcore, which are inspirations I've been getting into lately as far as electronic music. I've been exploring that stuff for quite a while now because I'm always trying to find new flavors, new movements, new patterns. I like to keep it fresh, because that's what keeps it exciting to me as an artist. So, on those particular songs, the guitars are acting more like what synthesizers would do in electronic music, but it's guitars with interesting effects."

On leftover new MORBID ANGEL material that hasn't been released yet:

Trey Azagthoth: "We're gonna throw those out later this year or at the beginning of next year, but they're also inspired by electronic music. I have one inspired by blackbeat music, and that could later be remixed by a producer who does, say, dubstep, or whatever's gonna fit best. I'm basically just trying to explore music and push boundaries and create something new, which is something that we've been doing anyway."

On whether they are concerned that MORBID ANGEL fans might not necessarily be psyched about "Illud Divinum Insanus"'s techno-industrial sensibilities:

Trey Azagthoth: "I'm not worried about it at all because I don't do it for others' approval. And I think all the real fans of this band understand that already. We don't check into the scene to see what scene people accept or don't accept. Me and David did an interview when 'Altars' came out where I said the same thing: We don't check into the latest book of cool to figure out where we're gonna go with our stuff. We look inside ourselves, and I think that's what fans of the band have come to expect. And I think they appreciate that, because they know it's as real as it gets."

David Vincent: "When we first came out with 'Blessed Are The Sick', people thought it was really different. It took them a long time to embrace it. And that's fine. After everyone bagged on that record for two years and subsequently started sounding like that, we got signed to Warner and everybody's immediate comments were, 'Sellout!' But then 'Covenant' was the fastest, angriest record we had done. So, we challenge ourselves musically and we challenge our listeners. There are plenty of bands that have a really simple, easy formula, and you can predict exactly what you're gonna get on every record. We've never been that way, and there's no reason to start now."

"The way we go about doing what we're doing now is no different than the way we went about doing 'Altars Of Madness'. We played the shit out of our instruments, tapped into our creativity, and delivered. And that's exactly what we did on the new record. We could've gone back through our catalog and said, 'OK, this song and this song did really well for us.' And then we could've just rewritten them. But we didn't do any of that — nothing like it. We grew once again. It's not that big of a change, but people are gonna hear things they're not used to hearing. And like I said, it's still very extreme."

Decibel magazine's entire cover story on MORBID ANGEL can be found in the July issue, which is available on newsstands now.
rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
TamPron
Metal God

Re: Trey Not Worried At All' About Fans' Reaction

Post by TamPron »

A scan was posted a little while back. :santa:
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

:santa:
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
-M-
Ancient One

Post by -M- »

Trey Azagthoth: "We're gonna throw those out later this year or at the beginning of next year, but they're also inspired by electronic music. I have one inspired by blackbeat music, and that could later be remixed by a producer who does, say, dubstep, or whatever's gonna fit best. I'm basically just trying to explore music and push boundaries and create something new, which is something that we've been doing anyway."

:xx:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

:xx:

I'm interested in that :idea: hopefully it won't be under the monicker of Morbid Angel though... but dubstep = :thingy:
KevinP
Mature Neophyte

Post by KevinP »

I don't like the term "real fans" as it's dismissive to anyone who doesn't agree with the artists vision/approach. The term 'real fan' is also an unquantifiable entity.

No problem with artist doing what they do without fear or reprisal, but don't go claiming only "real fans" will appreciate/get it.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Agreed.
KevinP
Mature Neophyte

Post by KevinP »

[quote name="VΩI∆"]Agreed.[/quote]

Good, now send me some stroopwafels and salmiak rondos :gay: :gay: :gay:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Hahahaha

Stroopwafels :xx:::::::;;;
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

[quote name="KevinP"]I don't like the term "real fans" as it's dismissive to anyone who doesn't agree with the artists vision/approach. The term 'real fan' is also an unquantifiable entity.

No problem with artist doing what they do without fear or reprisal, but don't go claiming only "real fans" will appreciate/get it.[/quote]

:idea:
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
SCYTHE_OF_ANTICHRIST
Neophyte

Post by SCYTHE_OF_ANTICHRIST »

[quote name="VΩI∆"]Hahahaha

Stroopwafels :xx:::::::;;;[/quote]

THOSE RULE!!! Back in 98' at a HUGE gig we did in Tilburg or somewhere this sweet, sweet sexy leopard elevator hooked us up.....with THOSE! hA, think I gained 10 pounds in a few days...nothing like that here in the USA that I've ever found
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

Once in a while i send the Immo guys a package of those. They love them.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="Uni"]Once in a while i send the Immo guys a package of those. They love them.[/quote]

:thingy: they must love you for it.
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

for me it's not even "scene" guys, hell I don't even consider myself a metalhead giving my huge musical range of enjoyment

it's about half assed ideas for me, I liked some of the odd riffs on Too Extreme, if all of the electronic songs were like that one, had less repetition and such, I'd probably enjoy a lot more
ImageImageImageImage
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Of course Trey is not worried about fans reactions: he probably lives under a rock or else he must've heard that Fear Factory already did a much better Too extreme!:

[youtube]SjNCQ9n50H8[/youtube]
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="lǝp + uɯH + lɹʇƆ"]and that could later be remixed by a producer who does, say, dubstep[/quote]

fuck fuck fuck FUCK
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

:redneck:
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="Mutilator"]Of course Trey is not worried about fans reactions: he probably lives under a rock or else he must've heard that Fear Factory already did a much better Too extreme!:

[youtube]SjNCQ9n50H8[/youtube][/quote]

well we all already know that he lives in his own dream-world or whatever, far from reality that's for sure...
Cybermetatron

Post by Cybermetatron »

The problem is that there's nothing really new on that record !! It's new for MA, but not for music in general ! I'd even say it's retrograde in some way ! And it has been better done by others !

Blessed are the sick or Gateways were something exploring new territories in death-metal, in a good way ! And "hatework" on domination is also something different, new at that time, but it's a really great song (one of my fav on domination) because it's dark and evil ! On Illud, of what I've heard (still not received the cd !!! and don't want to hear the whole album on the web before...), it's unskillful !

Trey says that "real fans" will understand ! Ok ! I have no problem with artists exploring new stuff, but we are not supposed to like it !! And I don't like the way it's done on illud...and that song radikult that sounds like Marylin Manson, it has nothing to do on a MA album ! Marylin M can do what he wants to, I respect his musical choices, but I don't like it and never listen to his albums, so I don't want to be forced to hear that kind of music I dislike on an album of my fav band !!
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

pay attention to the gentleman above, for he is full of wise words
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Cybermetatron

Post by Cybermetatron »

Another thing, if they assume their new musical exploration, they have to play too extreme, destructos, radikult, i am morbid live !! But I'm not sure they'll do that, it won't get positive feedback from the crowd...
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i will be very surprised if they play more than three new songs on the illud tour
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Victor Frankenstein

Post by Victor Frankenstein »

They have show today in Sweden. I'm looking forward to youtube videos. I hope they play some of the non-death-metal stuff. Let's see how the swedes take it :fonz:
"Friends, this is clean-up time and we're discounting all our silent, electric Ubiks by this much money. Yes, we're throwing away the blue-book. And remember: every Ubik on our lot has been used only as directed."
Anjel
Ancient One

Post by Anjel »

Too bad Sweden Rock is incredibly expensive (and not too many interesting bands), I would have been there otherwise.

I wonder if Maze is there.
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

[quote name="Anjel"]Too bad Sweden Rock is incredibly expensive (and not too many interesting bands), I would have been there otherwise.

I wonder if Maze is there.[/quote]

I considered it when I heard that MA was about to play, but it's to expensive as you said.

MA have quite a big audiance in sweden and I don't think the album will be too popular. Most of my friends is basically just laughing at it.
Anjel
Ancient One

Post by Anjel »

Yeah, the few friends I have who enjoys death metal says it's bad too (I personally don't like it, so...).

And the weather is incredibly shitty today. I feel sorry for the people on Sweden Rock.
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

[youtube]g-uw_Mm16jA[/youtube]
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

<!-- m -->http://morbidfails.tumblr.com/<!-- m -->
Ancient One

Ancient One

i'm bored :piss2:
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

:lol:
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="lǝp + uɯH + lɹʇƆ"]:lol:[/quote]
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

"Everyone knows quite well that I, 'Pete Sandoval', didn't play that disgusting music! it doesn't even sound like Morbid. And you know the truth already: this new album they released is the worst of the worst!!!! It's SHIT :-) I rate it 0.5 out of 10!!!! WHAT A MESS!!!!! ;("
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

That page is run by Otto, the hard-on bearer who runs the Morbid Angel page.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

Are you saying Otto wrote that?
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I'm saying that comment is fishy
;,,;
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

[quote name="awesome horseporn tape"]i will be very surprised if they play more than three new songs on the illud tour[/quote]

pretty sure they have yet to do this :santa:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

they should play the entire album to celebrate its one year birthday
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

first they should get a time machine to travel back june of last year
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

correct
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

then they should go even farther back and make all kinds of different morbid angel-based decisions
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

like to NEVER MAKE THE ALBUM IN THE FIRST PLACE!
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i would go back to letting evil taint back into the band and just get a completely different frontman instead :god:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

our lord and master would as well :idea:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

or maybe a good idea like just ending the band
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

poor, sad 2013 morbid angel :frown:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

[quote name="The Taint of Destiny"]i would go back to letting evil taint back into the band and just get a completely different frontman instead :god:[/quote]

:idea:
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

NOT Angela8
Neophyte

Post by NOT Angela8 »

Ya know... Illud isn't one of the best albums, but I respect Trey for going for it.

[quote name="Pho Queue"]"I'm not worried about it at all because I don't do it for others' approval."[/quote]

:clap:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:hard-on bearer:
;,,;
scunt.
Metal God

Post by scunt. »

that's totally not angela
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jorsh">
Omg Ali is so hot I want to fuck both nostrils, earholes, even his armpits and elbows. Basically I want to fuck him everywhere except his ass and mouth.

To jizzfinity and beyond
</blockquote>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Hitoshura">
also when you exit an unsuccessful interview you should just leave them with: 'if you can't slam with the best, you'll just have to jam with the rest'
</blockquote>