"New" David Vincent interview, c. 1996

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
shubniggurath

"New" David Vincent interview, c. 1996

Post by shubniggurath »

I just uploaded this to youtube; had not seen it on there before, hence the "new."

<!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4stPlYJy1Oc<!-- m -->

Finally bought a gadget to transfer VHS to my PC. Quality isn't great, but good enough for youtube I guess. Got a Hate Eternal show (their first) coming up next. I have a bootleg from Fort Lauderdale around 2001 at the Culture Room...venue with a big Guitar Center banner, Trey's wearing a white tank top if I recall. I think that's already out there, though...if anyone has it, would you mind pointing to it so I can see if it is the same one I have? If not, I will convert and upload mine.

Always liked this interview. The bit about being wary of people who try to make you believe something always spoke to me as a kid, and still does today. It's sad to see that he was so...like he had something to say, before. Still very much loving the sound of his own voice, I think, but there was substance. Also interesting to hear him talk about their "agreement" with the fans about staying serious, not selling out. And now he's bangin' bangin' hardcore radical.

Ah, the good old days.

<!-- m -->http://www.hypgnostic.com<!-- m -->
Gmajnar

Re: "New" David Vincent interview, c. 1996

Post by Gmajnar »

Thanks!

David's interviews were allways and still are great - the choice of words, his powerful voice, being humble and respectful while at the same time being very confident! HAIL Vincent!
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Post by Hallucinating dead »

Strength! there he said that, where the fuck is strength in the new album ?
..For the freedoms and prisons are in the mind..
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

Thanks! Your dedication is appreciated!

Classic David-answers :redneck:
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

Really cool interview. I like the setting they are in, the castle with candles: very Morbid Angel :redneck:
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

this was a cool interview. do you know where it was filmed? it the beginning of the video he mentions playing south florida the night before.
rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

5:38 - 5:46 :oldryan:

11:06 - 11:21 :shock:
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="lǝp + uɯH + lɹʇƆ"]this was a cool interview. do you know where it was filmed? it the beginning of the video he mentions playing south florida the night before.[/quote]

Well it aired in South America, but I am pretty sure the MTV studios were/are in Miami.

Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

that would make sense. I was just wondering it if it were a stage set or an actually castle, we have a couple here in florida (although they are more forts of sorts)
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

Definitely looks like a set to me. The smooth plastic esque walls and the perfectly curved archway behind David with no ruts or jagged edges.
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="lǝp + uɯH + lɹʇƆ"]that would make sense. I was just wondering it if it were a stage set or an actually castle, we have a couple here in florida (although they are more forts of sorts)[/quote]

Yeah, it's a set. Same set used every week for that show.

bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

He specifically states "death metal" to describe them.

He specifically writes off genre digression: "as opposed to what these other bands will write" (not that other genres are necessarily bad, but they aren't MA!)

He specifically talks about the loyality of the fans to their style.

he specifically mentions and elucidates the fact that this is an exclusive form of music.

"The fans want heavy music"

This is interesting to point out when he says:

"There's always an agenda when people around you want to make you believe something": I find this to be the surrounding theme these days in promoting Illud! Insisting that it's integrity is intact and

even though there is a fan backlash, it's something we should accept as true regarding it being a true Morbid angel record. It needs to be pushed onto you where as the old albums monumentally made their

own mark.

He was and seemed more thought provoking and passionate but humble and charismatic. Just look at when he talks about Ceasar's Palace...his vibe is just different!

Any way this vid is a direct contradiction to present day MA.

Thanks for posting man, that was a good interviewer too...
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]He specifically states "death metal" to describe them.

He specifically writes off genre digression: "as opposed to what these other bands will write" (not that other genres are necessarily bad, but they aren't MA!)

He specifically talks about the loyality of the fans to their style.

he specifically mentions and elucidates the fact that this is an exclusive form of music.

"The fans want heavy music"

This is interesting to point out when he says:

"There's always an agenda when people around you want to make you believe something": I find this to be the surrounding theme these days in promoting Illud! Insisting that it's integrity is intact and

even though there is a fan backlash, it's something we should accept as true regarding it being a true Morbid angel record. It needs to be pushed onto you where as the old albums monumentally made their

own mark.

He was and seemed more thought provoking and passionate but humble and charismatic. Just look at when he talks about Ceasar's Palace...his vibe is just different!

Any way this vid is a direct contradiction to present day MA.

Thanks for posting man, that was a good interviewer too...[/quote]

Dude, totally. His whole thing about ulterior motives, etc. was something that I think instinctively made sense to me as a kid...but hearing him say it when I was 16 or 17 just put it into words really well, and solidified it. And you're right--in this case their ulterior motive is sales, I guess, or purchased integrity. It reminds me of years ago when Slipknot basically said "we're metal, we're metal!" in every interview, appealing to the underground, etc. To me, if you have to inform people that you're this or that...then you're NOT. If you have to tell us all that you're Morbid, then you ain't; you would expect us to see it because it is an intrinsic feature. If you have to tell us how fucking extreme you are, then you're basically saying that it wasn't obvious in the first place. I hate Slipknot and hate to make the comparison, but I can't deny it.

I can't get over how much weight his words seemed to have back then, even watching it now as an adult. Gravitas. And now...I can't see him as anything more than a joke. Hypocrite, even. I get that people change, you get older, you're not so extreme any more...but maybe when that happens, you cling to it even if it's long gone. Maybe I'm just disappointed and being unnecessarily harsh.

So as a side note--I am new to working with video. I have now also ripped Hate Eternal's first show, it's a 30 minute set now in MP4 format. Any advice on a program I can use to cut it up into smaller files, and then upload to youtube? If anyone wants it uncompressed...some advice on how to post it somewhere would work too. I can figure out how to put something onto megaupload or some shit, but not sure how to break up the file into manageable pieces.

I also have a Morbid Angel show from Hollywood in August of 1993. This one's weird because Trey and Erik are wearing headbands, like Rambo! Anyone already have it?

Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

I cannot help you with the questions about splitting stuff up. But could you upload them as one file to mega upload? I can imagine those shows to be awesome.

I remember the covenant shows where Trey was wearing a Bandana and Erik had a portion of his hair in a ponytail. Just the part that would hang before his eyes was combed back and bound together. The hair on the sides of his head covered his ears. If that makes any sense.
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="Uni"]I cannot help you with the questions about splitting stuff up. But could you upload them as one file to mega upload? I can imagine those shows to be awesome.

I remember the covenant shows where Trey was wearing a Bandana and Erik had a portion of his hair in a ponytail. Just the part that would hang before his eyes was combed back and bound together. The hair on the sides of his head covered his ears. If that makes any sense.[/quote]

Sure, I will give it a shot later. The HE tonight, but the Covenant show will have to wait as I have not yet ripped it.

Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name="slimegod"]I get that people change, you get older, you're not so extreme any more...[/quote]

Not Evil D though :santa:

Visión sufrirá

Orejas derretirá

Mis cojones son castrado

Es nombre Extreme
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

We're eye to eye on this slimegod. Although I can't outwardly say I hate slipknot. I think I detest more of the dim teenage angst subculture that comes with it. That's neither here nor there, it's as you know all about integrity of whatever given band...

I'd like to see that HE show. I'm not sure if the program "AVi Trimmer" could help you, you may want to check that out. Man I really need to convert some vid's myself. I've one from when divine r. played NJ 2000 Metalfest with Hate eternal on the bill. I have the sickest footage of HE: audio off the board, great shots; film-like almost. With Roddy, Anderson, Rutan. Also have a '94 Headbanger's Ball with Ricky Ractman and David Vincent, so-so quality but still cool.
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]We're eye to eye on this slimegod. Although I can't outwardly say I hate slipknot. I think I detest more of the dim teenage angst subculture that comes with it. That's neither here nor there, it's as you know all about integrity of whatever given band...

I'd like to see that HE show. I'm not sure if the program "AVi Trimmer" could help you, you may want to check that out. Man I really need to convert some vid's myself. I've one from when divine r. played NJ 2000 Metalfest with Hate eternal on the bill. I have the sickest footage of HE: audio off the board, great shots; film-like almost. With Roddy, Anderson, Rutan. Also have a '94 Headbanger's Ball with Ricky Ractman and David Vincent, so-so quality but still cool.[/quote]

Right on. I am uploading the HE show as three ~700 MB zip files. Looks like it'll take literally hours. I'll post the link in the Music section when ready. Your HE video sounds worth checking out as well. The one I have was a really cool, intense show, but the quality is not fantastic. And Rutan just looks like a red demon mostly because the red lighting washes out all his features. All you see is hair and a guitar. But it rules anyway. And they end the gig with with This Means War!

I'm taking the video to Rutan tomorrow night at the Hate Eternal gig in Austin. I hope I can get him to talk some about the MA record. I think he has a lot of respect for them, so he won't badmouth them, but I think he'll be as forthcoming as he reasonably can. Dude is a huge fan who just happened to have the honor of being in the band, I'm sure he's had some of the same thoughts as we have.

bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

That's a cool idea, Erik has always been pretty straight up so hopefully we get his unfiltered opinion. i really enjoyed when they would play This Means War, hands down one of my favorite Domination tracks.

Hey if you see JJ the bassist, tell him "Bob says ' beef ?? ' " lol he'll know
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]That's a cool idea, Erik has always been pretty straight up so hopefully we get his unfiltered opinion. i really enjoyed when they would play This Means War, hands down one of my favorite Domination tracks.

Hey if you see JJ the bassist, tell him "Bob says ' beef ?? ' " lol he'll know[/quote]

Hehe, will do, I remember reading that you guys were in the same band.

OK, fuck this megaupload shit. I'm leaving it uploading right now, but we're talking like 7 hours to go. I made a torrent instead, first time. I don't think I read any rules against torrents being posted. I'll check. If I don't see any, I'll post it in FILE SHARING in the next 5 minutes or so.

^_____________^
Ancient One
Location: I'm Going To Pull Your Endocrine System Out Of Your Body

Post by ^_____________^ »

Torrents :waa:
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

I'm trying out your torrent, I don't have massive amounts of experience with them but so far it's going/// I'm only at 10% :necro:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i usually seed 24 hours a day, i cap my upstream transfers at like ~300kb/s. i'll grab this just to make it easier for other MABB folk to get it :santa:
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="^_____________^"]Torrents :waa:[/quote]

What about them? So far it's been almost three hours trying to Ul to megaupload and part 1/3 isn't even fully uploaded yet. I've still got it going for those who are torrent averse, but you won't get the links until probably 7 hours from now when they finish uploading.

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]I'm trying out your torrent, I don't have massive amounts of experience with them but so far it's going/// I'm only at 10% :necro:[/quote]

Yeah, they're really efficient and fast but only once multiple people start seeding. For now it's just me seeding it. But believe me, you'll get it sooner than if you waited for me to upload it all to megaupload and then go DL it from there. Once you have it all, just leave your torrent client open if you can, then it just gets faster for all involved who want it.

[quote name="Derek Waters"]i usually seed 24 hours a day, i cap my upstream transfers at like ~300kb/s. i'll grab this just to make it easier for other MABB folk to get it :santa:[/quote]

Killer! First time I did this, it was easier than expected.

^_____________^
Ancient One

I've gotten so used to downloading single link DVDrips off of MU in ten minutes that it's probably a bad thing.
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

Eh, fuck it. I was going to withhold the MU links to force people to seed it so that it stays out there beyond this board (so if you can, please do!). But for the torrent-averse:

Hate Eternal, 1st gig , Ft. Lauderdale:

(.zip files)

Pt 1: <!-- m -->http://www.megaupload.com/?d=72ERAMU5<!-- m -->

Pt 2: <!-- m -->http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WQBZ9YS8<!-- m -->

Pt 3: <!-- m -->http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KCTXZY9J<!-- m -->

Anjel
Ancient One

Post by Anjel »

I'm seeding the torrent. If you want it fast, use the torrent. I have a pretty fast internet-connection.
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

Shit, I just realized I had capped it off at 135 kbps upload...now at 300. Please DL, seed, and keep it out there. I've got a few more boots I'm planning to rip soon and will be using torrents exclusively for the next few.

I asked in the file sharing forum...does anyone know if the MA gig from Santiago, Chile in 1996 is out there already? If not, I can rip it. It was my first time seeing them. I forget where in the gig, but there's one song where there's a piece missing, may be during Blasphemy.

^_____________^
Ancient One

Hails to slimegod for his willingness to share in the goodies :santa:
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]That's a cool idea, Erik has always been pretty straight up so hopefully we get his unfiltered opinion. i really enjoyed when they would play This Means War, hands down one of my favorite Domination tracks.

Hey if you see JJ the bassist, tell him "Bob says ' beef ?? ' " lol he'll know[/quote]

Message conveyed!!!

HAHAHAHA!!!

Ok, just now as I typed, Origin singer says:

"last week a very special record came out and I hope you all got it...no, not Entity, Morbid Angel! (everyone onstage laughs) I keed, I keed! Here's a cover from that, Too Extreme!" Then they play something that's actually metal.

zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

that's hilarious but at the same time really sad

it's sad that ma has become something to be mocked :eyes: fuck you for doing this ma
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

nice! thanks :lol:

regarding MA being mocked: it really is sad the godfathers of death metal are now looked down upon; you would've never thought that would ever happen 10 years ago. Crazy huh
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]nice! thanks :lol:

regarding MA being mocked: it really is sad the godfathers of death metal are now looked down upon; you would've never thought that would ever happen 10 years ago. Crazy huh[/quote]

So I missed most of Vital Remains. But what I saw was cool. Origin were really good. It was their new vocalist's first show and I thought he did a good job. Longstreth is a monster and I can't wait to hear him on the new Gorguts (he says late this year or early next, and that it is intense and dissonant but musical, and has real song structure).

Hate Eternal were fucking intense as ever, despite some technical issues. They skipped the first record completely, which was a bummer. But the new shit came across really well live. Afterwards I tried to talk to Erik about the new Morbid Angel album. I started off asking him which songs he tracked, and he said he didn't know, because they had working titles. He didn't seem particularly familiar with it. I was not sure if he just didn't know it, or didn't want to talk about it, so I let it go and talked about other things. He was pretty excited about the Hate Eternal 1st gig bootleg.

The subject of conversation among the audience after the show was the crappy new Morbid Angel. Funny and sad at the same time.

Well, I drove a few hours to see Hate Eternal, and they fucking delivered!

Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

seeing Origin here in about a month, sucks that HE won't be with them.
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

[quote name="slimegod"]

And Rutan just looks like a red demon mostly because the red lighting washes out all his features. All you see is hair and a guitar. But it rules anyway. And they end the gig with with This Means War!

.[/quote]

the Culture Room was a new venue then and had a really shitty lighting set up for quite a few years, but made up for it by consistently booking quality bands.

they are still operating with the same owners which is kind of shocking when you think about how many clubs switch owners or close down. :santa:
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="lǝp + uɯH + lɹʇƆ"]
[quote name="slimegod"]

And Rutan just looks like a red demon mostly because the red lighting washes out all his features. All you see is hair and a guitar. But it rules anyway. And they end the gig with with This Means War!

.[/quote]

the Culture Room was a new venue then and had a really shitty lighting set up for quite a few years, but made up for it by consistently booking quality bands.

they are still operating with the same owners which is kind of shocking when you think about how many clubs switch owners or close down. :santa:[/quote]

Do you live around that area? I lived in Miami from '97-'03, saw many many shows at the Culture Room. Wonder if we know some of the same people.

Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

I lived there for 20 years until I moved in 2005. :santa:
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
jack2012
Neophyte

Post by jack2012 »

Interview is important. Thanks for all.
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

[quote name="jack2012"]Interview is important. Thanks for all.[/quote]

:tvrky:
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

I stumbled upon a Ebay ad that I find curious because it says something about the relations between the bandmembers at the time:

MORBID ANGEL - VINTAGE PROMOTIONAL POSTER FROM 1994. POSTER PICTURES THE BAND WITH THE LINE UP OF; TREY AZAGTHOTH, DAVID VINCENT, ERIK RUTAN AND PETE SANDOVAL.

HAND SIGNED BY PETE SANDOVAL IN THE 1990'S SHORTLY AFTER THE DEPARTURE OF DAVID VINCENT AKA EVIL D DURING THE TIME STEVE TUCKER HAD TAKEN HIS PLACE.

PETE HAS WRITTEN & SIGNED "TO (INSERT NAME) , THANKS FOR SUPPORT, THE MASKED MAN'S GONE! PETE SANDOVAL"

PETE HAS THEN DRAWN A MASK OVER VINCENT'S FACE.

<!-- m -->http://www.ebay.nl/itm/MORBID-ANGEL-EUR ... 5aeab8808d<!-- m -->

'The masked man' it can mean a lot but what exactly? :huh: