Mike Browning chimes in...

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Mutilator
Ancient One

Re: Mike Browning chimes in...

Post by Mutilator »

Mike seems to be on a bash David Vincent trip.

I wonder why he neglects Trey? The riff daddy should've contributed much more awesome riffage!!!

<!-- m -->https://www.facebook.com/pages/Morbid-A ... 4655902515<!-- m -->
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

Post by Conservative_Heretic »

There is a LOT of bad history between them. Lot of it goes down to how the Abominations albums were handled as well, but I won't get into all that.

That picture is fucking hilariousness :lol:

It has GOT to go up in the RARE section
Fuck 'em
KevinP
Mature Neophyte

Post by KevinP »

I don't really judge by what people look like and don't really care. But I'm still perplexed over the furor this created. It's not anything that jumps out and screams "lame" from a mile away.

I'm expecting harispray, leg warmers and a shaul the way people are reacting.
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

Are you talking about the reaction on here or the Facebook posts :huh:
Fuck 'em
Faggy McFag
Mature Neophyte

Post by Faggy McFag »

[quote name="xr2m"]the first time I ever met David Vincent he was wearing a gold right side up cross earring and a red, white and blue hockey shirt and I knew he was a poser[/quote]

whether it's true or not, this made me chuckle... and picture it too!
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

[quote name="Conservative_Heretic"]There is a LOT of bad history between them. Lot of it goes down to how the Abominations albums were handled as well, but I won't get into all that.

That picture is fucking hilariousness :lol:

It has GOT to go up in the RARE section[/quote]

I'm actually curious how the AOD album was handled..what's the story about that?

This thread has that picture with some more:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7422&start=0& ... acebook</a><!-- l -->
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

[quote name="Mutilator"]It's the disrespectfullness towards someone who played an important role in some great bands and has ever stayed true to the original metalarchetypes.[/quote]

[quote name="mabb_"]Yep.You were out of line with that comment.[/quote]

I think you're mistaken about my value system. I don't give a shit, not even a little bit, about who stays or doesn't stay true to 'metal'. I don't wear band shirts, wrist bands, I don't throw up the devil horns at a gig and I don't have long hair.

Next, I will not budge an INCH from my comment. Mike Browning played no important role in Morbid Angel. He was there at a very early stage. The real stuff of significance happened AFTER he was gone. I give importance to comments about what Morbid Angel is or isn't, should or shouldn't have been from the band members and ex-band members who matter - such as Steve Tucker, Eric Rutan, Trey, Pete and Vincent. NOT from someone who has played NO IMPORTANT ROLE in Morbid Angel.

Ok?
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

There is a LOT of bad history between them. Lot of it goes down to how the Abominations albums were handled as well, but I won't get into all that.
I'm actually curious how the AOD album was handled..what's the story about that?

This is from an interview Mike did a few years back around 2004 I think. I'll let his words speak. Other members may have more to share on this, I can also hit Mike up with any additional questions or specifics you may have. This is his side, and it makes sense based on other things I have read and heard over the years, but every story has at least two versions so to speak. :grin:

At that time (1986) labels started to get interested in the band, which labels did show an interest in the band? Did they offer you a serious deal?

"We really hadn't talked to any labels at all yet, but an old fellating lover of mine from Tampa that had moved to North Carolina had called me and he said he was in a band called BARREN CEMETARY and that the bass player had a record label and he wanted to hear our stuff, so we sent him a rehearsal tape and he sent us a contract, that person who owned the label happened to be David Vincent (Evil D), the contract was really good and he wanted Bill Metoyer (of old SLAYER fame and countless other bands) to engineer the album, so we signed it right away."

Goreque Records, which was owned by David Vincent, was also interested in the band, is that correct?

"Yep, just like I mentioned, but he was really the first to be serious about signing us, so instead of waiting we just went ahead and signed a deal with him."

Do you still remember what kind of releases David did have at that time? Which bands did he sign at that time?

"We were the first to be on Goreque, but he was also very interested in MASSACRE at the time."

He wanted to release the debut album of MASSACRE, but the plan fell through, do you know something about it?

"I am not sure what actually happened with the MASSACRE thing, but I remeber the deal fell through pretty much when David got in MORBID ANGEL."

Was the tape a real demo or would you name it as a pre-production of the "Abominations Of Desolation" record?

"Like I said we never recorded a demo in the studio after Kenny so it had to be a rehearsal tape."

In May 1986 you went to North Carolina to record the debut album "Abominations Of Desolation"... Why didn't you record it in Florida? Had Morrisound not opened their doors at that time?

"David wanted us to use some expensive fancy studio where he lived, so we drove up there in a rented truck with our stuff and he flew in Bill Metoyer from California and we recorded in some studio that did a lot of country music, the guys that owned the studio didn't know what to think about our music!"

The material consists of old tracks, but 'Azagthoth' and 'Lord Of All Fevers And Plague' were brand new tunes, right? When did you write them?

"Trey and I were always writing a bunch of stuff, one thing that never got recorded was the song 'Morbid Angel', I believe it was over 10 minutes long!"

What about the recording sessions? Any memories of it?

"We did all the recording in a few days and then David sent me and Richard and Johnny back to Tampa and kept Trey there by himself for the mixing, little did we know that the whole thing was a plan by David to try to get Trey to quit MORBID ANGEL and join his band! And in the end it worked."

Who played the bassparts on the record? Were they played by John Ortega or was Sterling Von Scarborough already a member of the band?

"They were played by John Ortega, David convinced Trey to fire Johnny and it was David who hooked us up with Sterling. We never knew Sterling before he tried out for MORBID ANGEL. But David didn't want me or Johnny or David, he wanted Trey for himself, and it wasn't until Trey and I got in an actual fight when I caught him with my girlfriend and beat his ass really bad and that was the real reason why Trey and Richard left Florida to play with David Vincent."

The album was shelved due to the band disintigrating in a physichal argument over your girlfriend, what happened? Didn't the bandmembers get along well with your girlfriend?

"As I just said I guess Trey got along too good with my girlfriend, I caught them together at Trey's moms house where he lived at the time and I beat his ass so bad that was the end of me being in MORBID ANGEL and jamming with Trey! The next day he came and got his equipment from the house that Richard, Sterling and I lived in and that was the last time we ever played together."

The album wasn't released, because you weren't satisfied with the sound of it... What was the reason for it? Was the equipment not good enough, didn't you have enough time to finish the recordings, was the staff non-professional or something?

"That was the real reason because I beat Trey up!!! There were a lot of excuses that Trey made after that, because he didn't want the people to know what really happened!!! But the only thing we really weren't happy about was the bass playing, we were pretty happy with the rest of the recording, so it was still supposed to come out, it's just that Trey and I got in that fight and everything changed from that point on."

When "Abominations..." would have been released in 1986, would it have been the very first Death Metal record?

"I doubt that! There was lots of other stuff out by that time I think!"

"Abominations..." was released by Earache in 1991... What happened? Did you re-record the material? Were you satisfied with the end result?

"David sold the album to Earache just as it was recorded back in 1986. I didn't even know anything about it until after it was already out and in the stores, so I had no say in anything, they weren't even going to give me any royalties or any credit for it at all, David and Trey were going to make all of the money off of it, but they ended up paying me some little royalties but they never gave anything to Richard or Johnny at all even though they both played on it and no credit or information as to who even played on it was given either. Even to this day on the official MORBID ANGEL website it says that "Abominations..." was a demo, but it is clear to see it is a full length record and no, Sterling did not play on it either! So even to this day Trey is not telling the real truth about "Abominations..." and who played on it."

The titles of the MORBID ANGEL records follow the alphabetical order, is this a concept? Who came with this idea?

"I came up with "Abominations Of Desolation", it's from Aleister Crowleys Book Of The Law. About the rest of the albums I don't know if it was done on purpose at first, I think it was just something that happened and after a few albums they noticed it and then kept it going."
Fuck 'em
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

[quote name="IRONMAN"]
[quote name="Mutilator"]It's the disrespectfullness towards someone who played an important role in some great bands and has ever stayed true to the original metalarchetypes.[/quote]

[quote name="mabb_"]Yep.You were out of line with that comment.[/quote]

I think you're mistaken about my value system. I don't give a shit, not even a little bit, about who stays or doesn't stay true to 'metal'. I don't wear band shirts, wrist bands, I don't throw up the devil horns at a gig and I don't have long hair.

Next, I will not budge an INCH from my comment. Mike Browning played no important role in Morbid Angel. He was there at a very early stage. The real stuff of significance happened AFTER he was gone. I give importance to comments about what Morbid Angel is or isn't, should or shouldn't have been from the band members and ex-band members who matter - such as Steve Tucker, Eric Rutan, Trey, Pete and Vincent. NOT from someone who has played NO IMPORTANT ROLE in Morbid Angel.

Ok?[/quote]

I know your not a metal head,whatever I don't really care about how you live for fuck sake.My point is this,you are clearly wrong even if it's just MA were talking about:

vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Well it is a fact that after Mike left, and Pete got in, that the band was able to grow and get much bigger. But that doesn't mean that Mike didn't bring anything to the table back in those days. Chemistry between musicians is extremely important and perhaps Trey would've never had written some material that he did if Mike was never in the band, or vice versa. Every individual, who at least has some integral part in a band, even in demo days, influences their members. And so did Mike Browning. Even in the very early stages.
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

All things that happened in the past effect the future. Even if you profess to love something now, it wouldn't have happened were it not for events in past. The David Vincent era could have been very different or not happened at all were it not for Mike browning's involvement with the band. Whether we like it or not.
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

[quote name="So Callous"]All things that happened in the past effect the future. Even if you profess to love something now, it wouldn't have happened were it not for events in past. The David Vincent era could have been very different or not happened at all were it not for Mike browning's involvement with the band. Whether we like it or not.[/quote]
Fuck 'em
Uros

Post by Uros »

All that is true, and we all know that Imran is a dick, always trying to be a rebel...

That said, regarding this issue - I must say that Mike is acting gay. Now they (MA) are perfect targets, as a lot of people don't agree with the direction they have taken, so I guess that many of those, Mike included, feel empowered to trash the band.

Mike, why haven't you said ages ago all that you are saying now? If it's all true, it would be true 10-20 years ago too.

This way, as far as I am concerned this statement has little to no credibility at all. It is funny though.
biospazz
Neophyte

Post by biospazz »

[quote name="So Callous"]All things that happened in the past effect the future. Even if you profess to love something now, it wouldn't have happened were it not for events in past. The David Vincent era could have been very different or not happened at all were it not for Mike browning's involvement with the band. Whether we like it or not.[/quote]

Well that settles it then. Illud is Mike Browning's fault. FUCK YOU MIKE BROWNING!!!

Seriously, hard-on bearer can't fuckin win. Because he's Mike Browning.

Image :grim:
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

All things considered though what So Callous says is truth and a perfect response to Imran's comments. Mike was a founding member, was a part of the writing process for songs that were on Altars and Blessed. Abominations fucking jams, I mean shit :xx: Whether it's pile on time or not still makes no difference to the validity of his statements.
Fuck 'em
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

[quote name="biospazz"]

Well that settles it then. Illud is Mike Browning's fault. FUCK YOU MIKE BROWNING!!!

Seriously, hard-on bearer can't fuckin win. Because he's Mike Browning.

Image :grim:[/quote]

It's those onion rings fault :fonz: I mean onions :waa:
^_____________^
Ancient One
Location: I'm Going To Pull Your Endocrine System Out Of Your Body

Post by ^_____________^ »

I'll pile onto Imram's butt area if that's what you mean.
biospazz
Neophyte

Post by biospazz »

[quote name="^_____________^"]I'll pile onto Imram's butt area if that's what you mean.[/quote]

You mean his insanus?
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

[quote name="biospazz"]
[quote name="^_____________^"]I'll pile into Imram's mouth area if that's what you mean.[/quote]

[/quote]

Insanely Corrected
Fuck 'em
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Uros"]All that is true, and we all know that Imran is a dick, always trying to be a rebel...

That said, regarding this issue - I must say that Mike is acting gay. Now they (MA) are perfect targets, as a lot of people don't agree with the direction they have taken, so I guess that many of those, Mike included, feel empowered to trash the band.

Mike, why haven't you said ages ago all that you are saying now? If it's all true, it would be true 10-20 years ago too.

This way, as far as I am concerned this statement has little to no credibility at all. It is funny though.[/quote]

That interview is about seven years old.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Uros

Post by Uros »

I am speaking about this statement though
[...]the first time I ever met David Vincent he was wearing a gold right side up cross earring and a red, white and blue hockey shirt and I knew he was a poser and I have known all along that David has always been in Morbid Angel for the money and not because he is truly into what Morbid Angel stood [...]
:santa:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

who cares what mike browning thinks

he was with morbid angel for a few minutes and that's it
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

Mike Browning ftw

[youtube]3oW8Y5S_uGU[/youtube] :xx::::::::::::::::::
ImageImageImageImage
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="zim"]who cares what mike browning thinks

he was with morbid angel for a few minutes and that's it[/quote]

a few minutes... a few years... whats the difference, huh? :mmno:

I don't care what he has to say about morbid either, he's entitled to an opinion just like everyone else (yes you too imran!), but i don't care what he thinks about morbid.

But it's still dumb to ignore his influence on the band, small or big, negative or positive. Like I said in my previous post.
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

he was a founding member of MA, helped write some of the early stuff, and the stuff he's doing now is much more awesome than MA's I, so he has some room to talk
ImageImageImageImage
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

I talked to Mike Browning, he doesn't like the new MA for real, like I said he has a lot of room to talk really.

on I album MA is sorta attempting to do the same thing he's done for the last 12 years, just not even close to the same levels of awesome as Browning's band in my opinion
ImageImageImageImage
Gmajnar

Post by Gmajnar »

It's funny how some people here respect, believe and defend what Mike Browning is saying - allthough he has nothing to do with Morbid Angel since 1987.

On the other hand, there is a lot of disrespect, disbelief and attack towards Trey and David - who, together with Pete, made the REAL Morbid Angel.

And I'm sure that Pete would also be attacked by the same people if he didn't have back problems and would have played drums on Illud. Or do these people really think that Pete isn't into electronic/industrial/techno/trance,...music and that he would refuse to play the way that Tim did on Illud Divinum Insanus?
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="Gmajnar"]It's funny how some people here respect, believe and defend what Mike Browning is saying - allthough he has nothing to do with Morbid Angel since 1987.

On the other hand, there is a lot of disrespect, disbelief and attack towards Trey and David - who, together with Pete, made the REAL Morbid Angel.

And I'm sure that Pete would also be attacked by the same people if he didn't have back problems and would have played drums on Illud. Or do these people really think that Pete isn't into electronic/industrial/techno/trance,...music and that he would refuse to play the way that Tim did on Illud Divinum Insanus?[/quote]

Abominations of Desolation was the "real" Morbid Angel as well. Certainly moreso than Illud.

Mike never put mall rock and techno beats on a Morbid Angel album. So there's a huge point in his favor.

<!-- m -->http://www.hypgnostic.com<!-- m -->
Uros

Post by Uros »

No one is born into this world with other people respecting him/her apriori (even future kings or queens - subjects would respect their title - not them; and we are not MA's subjects, we merely like(d) what they are (were) doing)) .

People tend to lose or gain someone else's respect by what they are doing, by their actions. It's the same way here.

I choose ABCF. D,G and H to some degree. Huge respect for those albums.

No I for me, thank you very much. Huge disrespect for that.

You Gmajnar obviously lick MA's dick no matter what they do. (Btw, how does it taste? Morbid, sordid? Do you like it pounding your glory. glory hardcore, radical, or hardcore&radical?)

In any case, good for you.
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

Post by RitesOfPossession »

Another insight from Mike Browning:

<!-- m -->http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s ... 2863721011<!-- m -->
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

I found an interview with Mike Browning with also a little more insights behind the curtains of the Morbid angel camp, before Illud came to be. <!-- m -->http://www.metal-rules.com/zine/content/view/1603/0/<!-- m -->
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

Why can't Mike Davis re-enter the metal scene :eyes:
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Paste Human"]Why can't Mike Davis re-enter the metal scene :eyes:[/quote]

....and Nocturnus altogether: Thresholds line-up!
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

Is it true that Morbid Angel considered him for the guitarist spot when Erik left, or am I just imagining this? (Of course it's fantastic that Mike Davis didn't get involved in all that "I" nonsense.)
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Here is an intersting interview with Mike browning about the early days of Morbid Angel:

[youtube]hzC9EvwGFNE[/youtube]