New Guitar World - SCANS added

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
shubniggurath

New Guitar World - SCANS added

Post by shubniggurath »

Supposedly the new GW is out now. "Return of MA" article plus transcription for Rapture. Anyone got it yet?

(Got it. Scans - <!-- m -->http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V35K96HL<!-- m -->)

Also another Evil D interview:

<!-- m -->http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=161253<!-- m -->

Haven't watched the whole thing but sounds like the usual shit. Here's a choice quote:

"But we've always done these kind of things. It should be no surprise to anyone that we always do crazy things, 'cause we are crazy."

We are crazy. Nice. He also says that some songs may be too extreme. Catchphrase?

<!-- m -->http://www.hypgnostic.com<!-- m -->
vO)))id
Metal God

Re: New Guitar World - SCANS added

Post by vO)))id »

Yeah it seems he changed his vocabulary for the interviews, using "too extreme" to comment on material or peoples reactions... its pretty funny tho :redneck:
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="Void"]Yeah it seems he changed his vocabulary for the interviews, using "too extreme" to comment on material or peoples reactions... its pretty funny tho :redneck:[/quote]

I like how he wouldn't (couldn't?) name one current death metal band he likes. He may not be in the business of recommending bands, as he says, but dude gets heard by a lot of people. Wouldn't the cool thing to do be to name drop a band he likes or believes in, help get their name out there?

Reminds me of some "I Was Morbid" footage I saw where he comes out and says something like "I tell ya, it's a lot of goddamn fun bein' too extreme!" What a dork.

Anyway, please chime in if you already have the Guitar World. If nobody does, I'll try to scan it when I find it.

jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

oh it does warm my heart that rapture got transcribed instead of... well, anything from I :redneck:
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="slimegod"]

Anyway, please chime in if you already have the Guitar World. If nobody does, I'll try to scan it when I find it.[/quote]

Been to every store who sells guitar mags.. No-one has it on sale... Scans would be appreciated
LAVAGOD
God of Emptiness

Post by LAVAGOD »

picked it up a while ago, its a pretty long interview, 6 pages. really cool stuff trey and david talk about.

trey talks about gear and string gauges and all kinds of stuff :greenie:
LAVA!!!
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

Does he use the phrase "too extreme" in the sense that the material is too far removed from what most people are used to, or does he use it describe the velocity/heaviness of the music ?
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

the distinction is probably unimportant. in reality it's just a really lame attempt to deflect the rampant criticism, as though some character defect in all of these listeners is at fault for the reaction the album has received.

man it's bad enough too extreme has to be entered into morbid angel's musical canon, he could at least have the decency to not use it as a catchphrase. it's truly cringe-worthy no matter how or where it's deployed.
LAVAGOD
God of Emptiness

Post by LAVAGOD »

he uses .9-.46 not .10 - .46 and 7 string with a low .56

he says he used so many effects he doesnt even remember all of them but one that he really enjoyed was the digitech whammy :greenie: :greenie: :greenie:
LAVA!!!
Anjel
Ancient One

Post by Anjel »

Scan it!
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

[quote name="Derek Waters"]the distinction is probably unimportant. in reality it's just a really lame attempt to deflect the rampant criticism, as though some character defect in all of these listeners is at fault for the reaction the album has received.

man it's bad enough too extreme has to be entered into morbid downward ascending thing's musical canon, he could at least have the decency to not use it as a catchphrase. it's truly cringe-worthy no matter how or where it's deployed.[/quote]

Yeah I guess it is.
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="Uni"]
[quote name="slimegod"]

Anyway, please chime in if you already have the Guitar World. If nobody does, I'll try to scan it when I find it.[/quote]

Been to every store who sells guitar mags.. No-one has it on sale... Scans would be appreciated[/quote]

Bought it today, will try to scan tonight.

[quote name="So Callous"]
[quote name="Derek Waters"]the distinction is probably unimportant. in reality it's just a really lame attempt to deflect the rampant criticism, as though some character defect in all of these listeners is at fault for the reaction the album has received.

man it's bad enough too extreme has to be entered into morbid downward ascending thing's musical canon, he could at least have the decency to not use it as a catchphrase. it's truly cringe-worthy no matter how or where it's deployed.[/quote]

Yeah I guess it is.[/quote] :judge:

He says "A few people, maybe some of the songs on the record are a bit too extreme for them, but by and large it's a great record."

Right. We love Chambers of Dis and Vengeance is Mine, but not Radikult because it's too extreme for us.

Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

Mr. V. needs to define "extreme" for us. Perhaps he has a different definition.
I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe.
xr2m
Mature Neophyte

Post by xr2m »

[quote name="Shredlord"]Mr. V. needs to define "extreme" for us. Perhaps he has a different definition.[/quote]

I think in his world, "extreme" means "shitty."

The more I listen to Illud (picked up a used copy for $5 despite swearing I'd never own it), the more I realize that the half-assed techno experimentation by Trey would have been more palatable without Disco D's inane lyrics and insistence on doing the lame "AAAHHHH" clean vocals all over the album. The electronic-inspired stuff still sucks, but there's no sense making it worse with dumb lyrics and vocals. In fact, the two songs I think are total, absolute, unredeemable piles of shit are "I Am Morbid" and "Radikult." Disco D is running this shit into the ground.

Here's a shameful admission, though - I can actually see how the music on "Profundis - Mea Culpa" could turn into something interesting if Trey worked on it more. The twitchy Doom (the video game) inspired part around 1:30 always makes me smile.
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

Yea I feel the same about Mea Culpa, even if it's not actually a good song in it's current form. There seems to be some uncharted territory there that I think Trey would do well to really explore.
LAVAGOD
God of Emptiness

Post by LAVAGOD »

I tried scanning earlier but my printer is goin through her period so no luck
LAVA!!!
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

Just added scans.

<!-- m -->http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V35K96HL<!-- m -->

Linked in the original post as well.

Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:greenie:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

Awesome dude. Thanks a lot!!
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="Derek Waters"]oh it does warm my heart that rapture got transcribed instead of... well, anything from I :redneck:[/quote]

Well, Guitar World is always going to go for "the hit." And they already did Where the Slime Live and God of Emptiness...no "hits" yet on I.llud.

[quote name="Uni"]Awesome dude. Thanks a lot!![/quote]

De nada.

Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

Awesome.Started learning the solo then was like fuck that
xr2m
Mature Neophyte

Post by xr2m »

Thanks so much for scanning that - it was a good read! However, when Trey talks about being inspired by hip-hop stuff, I had to look up the song he referenced:

<!-- m -->http://youtu.be/T7Fy5w2klbg<!-- m -->

Really? This is what he finds to be interesting rhythmically nowadays? I guess I can understand that it might be rhythmically challenging if you're a complete retard who got hit by a bus, but to pretend that this is worthwhile?

It's just another case of old white dudes trying to be relevant.
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

Monch is a legend :fuckoff:
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

Post by RitesOfPossession »

[quote name="xr2m"][/quote]

:greenie:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="mabb_"]Monch is a legend :fuckoff:[/quote]

:idea: One of the YouTube comments had it dead on that he is in "the book" with Tribe Called Quest, Chuck D, and Del The Funky Homosapien.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name="slimegod"]And they already did Where the Slime Live and God of Emptiness

[/quote]

Thanks for the scans :xx:

And now - a question: do you, by any chance, have the scans of those transcriptions (especially for GoE, because I know that I have the WTSL transcription somewhere laying around)?

It'd be greatly appreciated!
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

Monch is a legend :fuckoff:
:idea: One of the YouTube comments had it dead on that he is in "the book" with Tribe Called Quest, Chuck D, and Del The Funky Homosapien.

His Organized Konfusion stuff was his best work imo but it's hugely over looked.

I know that I have the WTSL transcription somewhere laying around

*cough* Scan *Cough*
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="Uros"]
[quote name="slimegod"]And they already did Where the Slime Live and God of Emptiness

[/quote]

Thanks for the scans :xx:

And now - a question: do you, by any chance, have the scans of those transcriptions (especially for GoE, because I know that I have the WTSL transcription somewhere laying around)?

It'd be greatly appreciated![/quote]

I have the one for GoE. I had Slime but I let someone borrow that magazine and never got it back.

I can scan it next week, would appreciate it if you'd scan your WTSL tab as well.

Uros

Post by Uros »

Thanks for the GoE transcription scans in advance!

Regarding the WTSL transcritpion scans: I should have made clear that I got it off this very board (in one of its previous incarnations though, like a few years ago). I think that Vahmpy/Void has posted it originally. IIRC it's from that GW interview where he briefly ex-plained some techniques (suck my dick, chili cheese fries) like those out-of-nowhere hammer ons he had used on Thy Kingdom Come, and later on God Of Emptiness for example.

At the moment, I am posting from the job. So, I will look on my PC when I get home, and try to find it.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

e.xplained would be better if it were "tutored in righteousness" instead of "tutored him in righteousness". The 'him' makes the context go all phooey during use.
;,,;
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="Uros"]Thanks for the GoE transcription scans in advance!

Regarding the WTSL transcritpion scans: I should have made clear that I got it off this very board (in one of its previous incarnations though, like a few years ago). I think that Vahmpy/Void has posted it originally. IIRC it's from that GW interview where he briefly ex-plained some techniques (suck my dick, chili cheese fries) like those out-of-nowhere hammer ons he had used on Thy Kingdom Come, and latter on God Of Emptiness for example.

At the moment, I am posting from the job. So, I will look on my PC when I get home, and try to find it.[/quote]

Ah, cool. Yeah, if you can post it or if someone can point to a link, that would be cool. I couldn't find it with a forum search. It came from a much older issue than that, though, it came from I think a Guitar School from early '96 or so. Maybe '95. I think you're thinking of the 2002 Guitar World with Creed (gay) on the cover where it was a "private lesson" with Trey. I have that as well if a scan is needed.

Actually, seems like I remember them doing Immortal Rites as well, but I never got that one. Anyone have it, willing to scan?

Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name="slimegod"]It came from a much older issue than that, though, it came from I think a Guitar School from early '96 or so. Maybe '95. I think you're thinking of the 2002 Guitar World with Creed (gay) on the cover where it was a "private lesson" with Trey. I have that as well if a scan is needed.

Actually, seems like I remember them doing Immortal Rites as well, but I never got that one. Anyone have it, willing to scan?[/quote]

No no, this one is definitely from the 90's. At this point I am not sure if the WTSL transcription is from that interview or not. What I do remember is either Uni or Vahmpy/Void saying (in that thread, where those scans were posted) that solo in the transcription (actually, the sweeping+sliding part) is not accurately presented.

So it would be helpful if one of them could confirm that, maybe even repost the tab, because I am really not sure if I am gonna find those scans or not.
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

God of Emptiness TAB:

<!-- m -->http://www.megaupload.com/?d=14SNNNR2<!-- m -->

Uros

Post by Uros »

^ could someone re-up these scans again, I lost them ? :shakefist: