Trey and the 'swing' influence

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Phantoon
Ancient One

Trey and the 'swing' influence

Post by Phantoon »

So we've heard him mention this influence a few times in interviews, "big band swing" :xx: . I think of the Trey songs on IDI, Most of them contain this swinging feeling in the riffs. Beauty meets beast to me sounds totally constructed with 'swing' in mind. I also seem to always recite and/or hum these riffs in my head or out loud.

My question is: going back in MA's discography, in which songs can you hear the swing influence? I've got many in mind that I hear. :grimsanta:
LAVAGOD
God of Emptiness

Re: Trey and the 'swing' influence

Post by LAVAGOD »

Existo has some great swing, I hum that one a lot and playing it is really fun.

Praise and strength has hella swing too, so does beneath the hollow and curse the flesh. Ageless still I am has a lot of swing also. :xx:
LAVA!!!
Clint Eastwood
Mature Neophyte

Post by Clint Eastwood »

I wish they had some REAL swing on IDI!!!
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Swing? What is exactly meant by this?

A lot of death metal has swing imo: for example: Deicide.

Another example is the riffing from 37 seconds:

[youtube]D7hf_yt1aEo[/youtube]

And this song:

[youtube]ttm0qGMarz4[/youtube]

Examples what is exactly meant here please? :huh:
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

Swing to me is defined usually by mid paced riffs that have this swinging feeling, almost can be compared to music you here at a fairground but done in a heavy way. You don't here it so much during blasts. An exception to that would be the opening to curse the flesh, which has what I call swing riffs with blast beat back drop, the rest of the song is also swing. I agree with Lavagod on all those choices. I'd say the main riff from dawn of the angry is also swing, so to is the whole song of Secured limitations.

I couldn't quite here swing in luciferion or Autopsy there. But I guess peoples interpretation of swing can be different. Basically to me swing is the swaying style riffs that Trey started to use in the Tucker era. Particularly in Gateways, Heretic and now IDI
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Post by Hallucinating dead »

If i am correct about the feel you are talking about than the heretic will fit best for that.

I found it non-unidirectional, different from trad. death metal riffs.

That riff after 2:53 in Praise the strength :xx:

Ageless still I am, Opening the gates, secured limitations, I.

Also back in altars that riff in Lord of fever and plagues from 2:03.

And Ancient ones from Blessed and from covenant, parts of world of shit and that riff at 3:16 in God of emptiness.

About illud, I dont know if i am getting the "swing" thing correct, but the things ive mentioned above i get the same feeling in beauty meets beast, riff in radikult during the solo. :grimsanta:

I love that non-unidirectional quality of Trey which is rare among other extreme metal guitarists :xx:
..For the freedoms and prisons are in the mind..
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

Absolutely spot on, on all those mentioned :xx: They are definitely swingers :idea:

Yeah Trey draws from overlooked corners of the music world and sees the beauty in them and turns them into new things. But they hit you subconsciously as if you've heard them before, in a dream, or another existence. Music you heard as a child but forgot about. Trey draws from this place which is why they resonate so well with the listener.

Another honorable mention would be the slow part in Nevermore. Also in Heretic on God of our own divinity: the intro riff and the part later on when Tucker sings the lines "Raise this being to life, become the same as a god..."
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Btw Thanks for making a "real" Morbid angel thread afterall :santa:
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Trey's influence not only comes from other music but also from the nature, what is going all around, how to appreciate, what should be appreciated. There are things happening to me when i listen to some of his compositions which are beyond explanation, like "Invaocation of continual one", very simple musically but it contains the feelings beyond this world.

I feel sorry for the humans who cant experience the mighty azagthothian flow.

I am not dissatisfied by anything trey did in Illud, I just dont find vincent's current believes fitting anywhere inside Morbid Angel. His Vocals are also very irritating. :frown:
-M-
Ancient One

Post by -M- »

[youtube]uLAycSRHN98[/youtube]

There is a lot of swing on Heretic :xx:
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

:redneck: "It don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing" :fonz:
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

[quote name="lava Ghoul"]Trey's influence not only comes from other music but also from the nature, what is going all around, how to appreciate, what should be appreciated. There are things happening to me when i listen to some of his compositions which are beyond explanation, like "Invaocation of continual one", very simple musically but it contains the feelings beyond this world.

I feel sorry for the humans who cant experience the mighty azagthothian flow.

I am not dissatisfied by anything trey did in gleeso, I just dont find evil meh's current believes fitting anywhere inside Morbid Angel. His Vocals are also very irritating. :frown:[/quote]

Right on. he peers into his soul and makes riffs from there. I heard somewhere that the riff to where the slime live was done like this. Looking into oneself and understanding that we are part of the natural universe and the important elements of it are what comes out in the end. To some people these might not be understood because of too little association with nature and the inner voice. However I believe some of the mundane stuff on IDI is the acceptance that even this kinda of stuff can be interpreted as natural. It's like a test and a statement of perception, the eye of the beholder. In a way how Evil meh said energy flows in different ways. No matter how easy it is to say the music just sucks, it's just a different form of energy. But then it gets quite philosophical :huh: . Also the letter "I" can be easily translated to Me or the self, therefore the ego. Hence why some of the arrogant lyrics and music contained within. It's within their right to do so. This is the ego album :hard-on bearer:
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Absolutely, i remember i said this somewhere before about "I", its more about self or EGO, also that this album is more logic based.

I think Trey came up with this concept, he must have told all the members to do things in more egoistic way, more of personal involvement by everyone. Yes its more philosophical. Its like an answer back to the narrow minded metal fans today. Yes, i am more clear now, ive finally interpreted trey in most correct way on IDI.

Trey did things in his way and always succeeded.

Trey is genius :thingy:
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

[quote name="lava Ghoul"]I think Trey came up with this concept, he must have told all the members to do things in more egoistic way, more of personal involvement by everyone. Yes its more philosophical. Its like an answer back to the narrow minded metal fans today. Yes, i am more clear now, ive finally interpreted trey in most correct way on IDI.

Trey is genius :thingy:[/quote]

I believe he told them to as well. He probably said, "just go ape shit," to David vincent. Also this could be why Evil meh says he's so proud of Trey. It could be just that he's let him do this kinda stuff and he's happy about.

But yeah this is my understanding and interpretation of IDI as well and it gives it more meaning even if the music is sometimes hard to digest.

[quote name="Skinoperable"]it's like people are looking for the part of the feces that smells like roses when the whole thing is still just a pile of excrement[/quote] lol
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

trey could have packaged his feces and these people would still buy it. omg hes such an artist and a genius. such a STATEMENT he has made with this
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

You've given me an idea. What's your address ? :hard-on bearer:
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

i live between covenant and formulas in the ether between treys genius and morbid angels vulgoooorrres
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

Sent.To give it that special something I put it in a wooden box :fonz:
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

:huh: I cant get what you are implying at ?
xr2m
Mature Neophyte

Post by xr2m »

[quote name="So Callous"]
[quote name="lava Ghoul"]I think Trey came up with this concept, he must have told all the members to do things in more egoistic way, more of personal involvement by everyone. Yes its more philosophical. Its like an answer back to the narrow minded metal fans today. Yes, i am more clear now, ive finally interpreted trey in most correct way on IDI.

Trey is genius :thingy:[/quote]

I believe he told them to as well. He probably said, "just go ape shit," to evil taint. Also this could be why Evil meh says he's so proud of Trey. It could be just that he's let him do this kinda stuff and he's happy about.

But yeah this is my understanding and interpretation of IDI as well and it gives it more meaning even if the music is sometimes hard to digest.

[quote name="Skinoperable"]it's like people are looking for the part of the feces that smells like roses when the whole thing is still just a pile of excrement[/quote] lol[/quote]

Gotta agree with Skinoperable here. It's more like Trey is bored as shit with death metal, doesn't care much anymore, and it's easier to let other people steer the ship while still getting a paycheck. There's nothing genius in any way about IDI.
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

Yep.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

This is ridiculous. Is it so hard to grasp that Morbid Angel released a heaping pile of uninspired worthlessness that one absolutely has to look for some good in the shit? The universe did not implode.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

At the end of the day I don't hate the album as much as most of you, not to say I find it really good though either. But I don't understand how we can be so sure that Trey isn't into death metal anymore. What I believe is that he's still into heavy music, and we know how creative he can be. He's just exploring other avenues and made a misstep I guess on this occasion. Does it just have to be downtuned guitars, guttural vocals, blast beats and sickening solos ?. I like covenant, formulas and Gateways as much as the next fan but it isn't the be all of the best music. I like to give the album meaning, since Trey has done that with near enough all the other albums, like a spiritual context. However I don't disregard what your saying: That it was a lazy effort and Trey should have bucked up his ideas. I'm hopeful for a return to form on the next album. If it's not straight up death metal, that's fine by me.

Also I don't believe he just cares about a paycheck. If we take his word in the Heretic booklet "And the day I find myself hashing out unimaginitive, unfeeling music is the day that I realize my mission is over, and I shall gladly step off." It's almost ironic considering the music on IDI but lets take it that he believes in the other stuff that he did on the album.
BlackCatTheory
Neophyte

Post by BlackCatTheory »

[quote name="So Callous"] Also I don't believe he just cares about a paycheck. If we take his word in the Heretic booklet "And the day I find myself hashing out unimaginitive, unfeeling music is the day that I realize my mission is over, and I shall gladly step off." It's almost ironic considering the music on IDI but lets take it that he believes in the other stuff that he did on the album.[/quote]

I personally don't believe Trey can afford to 'step off', despite what he may say or have said in the past.

Like many of us, he'll need to keep working, keep paying the bills if he wants to keep a roof over his head and food on his table.

His genius aside, this is perhaps the reason that I, while largely competent, it is uninspired and uninspiring.

When money is your primary concern, it is easy to let your flair for a job slip.
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

[quote name="So Callous"]At the end of the day I don't hate the album as much as most of you, not to say I find it really good though either. But I don't understand how we can be so sure that Trey isn't into death metal anymore. What I believe is that he's still into heavy music, and we know how creative he can be. He's just exploring other avenues and made a misstep I guess on this occasion. Does it just have to be downtuned guitars, guttural vocals, blast beats and sickening solos ?. I like covenant, formulas and Gateways as much as the next fan but it isn't the be all of the best music. I like to give the album meaning, since Trey has done that with near enough all the other albums, like a spiritual context. However I don't disregard what your saying: That it was a lazy effort and Trey should have bucked up his ideas. I'm hopeful for a return to form on the next album. If it's not straight up death metal, that's fine by me.

Also I don't believe he just cares about a paycheck. If we take his word in the Heretic booklet "And the day I find myself hashing out unimaginitive, unfeeling music is the day that I realize my mission is over, and I shall gladly step off." It's almost ironic considering the music on IDI but lets take it that he believes in the other stuff that he did on the album.[/quote]

I agree brother, people thing he is doing it for money, its their EGO but stills its correct because this is what the album is about, he is giving ego so do getting, none is wrong. Both supporters and non-supporters of this album are correct. Thats why he is not doing much of the interviews. IMO this is not something trey did being lazy, only thing is, that the album is less music based but more concept based. :grimsanta:
xr2m
Mature Neophyte

Post by xr2m »

[quote name="lava Ghoul"]

I agree brother, people thing he is doing it for money, its their EGO but stills its correct because this is what the album is about, he is giving ego so do getting, none is wrong. Both supporters and non-supporters of this album are correct. Thats why he is not doing much of the interviews. IMO this is not something trey did being lazy, only thing is, that the album is less music based but more concept based. :grimsanta:[/quote]

Damn, did you get into some of Trey's stash? If so, let us know where you found it because it must be some awesome shit.
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

[quote name="xr2m"]
[quote name="lava Ghoul"]

I agree brother, people thing he is doing it for money, its their EGO but stills its correct because this is what the album is about, he is giving ego so do getting, none is wrong. Both supporters and non-supporters of this album are correct. Thats why he is not doing much of the interviews. IMO this is not something trey did being lazy, only thing is, that the album is less music based but more concept based. :grimsanta:[/quote]

Damn, did you get into some of Trey's stash? If so, let us know where you found it because it must be some awesome shit.[/quote]

Kya bol riya hai be chutiye :huh:
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Here he mentiones swing also:

[youtube]b4aqyoWnsM4[/youtube]
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Why do these threads still exist?
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

This thread is almost 2 years old dude.
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

As long as it's ontopic, thread's age shouldn't matter.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

no one cares about morbid angel though
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

[quote name="Mutilator"]As long as it's ontopic, thread's age shouldn't matter.[/quote]

He was asking why there's still these threads, and I informed him that it was a 2 year old thread, not a new one.
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Tam Tam"]
[quote name="Mutilator"]As long as it's ontopic, thread's age shouldn't matter.[/quote]

He was asking why there's still these threads, and I informed him that it was a 2 year old thread, not a new one.[/quote]

:santa: I didn't think it was a new thread.
;,,;
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

Can't believe i started this thread 2 years ago; Where has the time gone. Also, some of my posts are rather embarrassing :oldryan:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I chuckled.
;,,;
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

All that shit I interpreted about idi :frown:

The most fucked up shit when I came to know they made this pseudo metal shit under the influence of label. Trey should have started a new band if he really wanted to do something completely different thing, and continued touring with ma
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Demon seed"]All that shit I interpreted about idi :frown:

The most fucked up shit when I came to know they made this pseudo metal shit under the influence of label. Trey should have started a new band if he really wanted to do something completely different thing, and continued touring with ma[/quote]

Except the label wasn't happy with IDI.
;,,;
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

Yeah Trey wouldn't have bowed to label pressure like that. Everything on the album is exactly what he and David wanted.

I guess they thought they'd make more money if it had the MA name stuck to it, instead of a side project :homework: .
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

I don't really think trey wanted to have david in the band. I don't know I don't to make any more assumptions, I'd better be happy listening the real morbid angel. Its still the best music ever written imo
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Btw Chris, you know the band desecrator from England, their lp subconscious release kinda swings
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

I know the name, but haven't heard their stuff. I shall check it out in due time. Thanks Navneet :fonz:
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Well apparently Pestilence has some form of Jazz influence too.