Gateways to Annihilation vinyl

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Gateways to Annihilation vinyl

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

Anyone wanting to share some pics? Perhaps a nice story with the vinyl?

Like I said on another thread, my lust for that masterpiece is gigantic.

Eso, gracias y chao :greenie:
Wide open 'til you see God, then BRAKE!

Kevin Schwantz #34 - Team Suzuki Lucky Strike
vO)))id
Metal God

Re: Gateways to Annihilation vinyl

Post by vO)))id »

My vinyl version of Gateways. Bought it in a record store in Groningen, 2003. Also bought Nile's BSOV there on vinyl.
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

[quote name="iamgoat"]My vinyl version of Gateways. Bought it in a record store in Groningen, 2003. Also bought Nile's BSOV there on vinyl.[/quote]

Can you share some more please. Third-world countries (Like mine, ha!) didn't enjoy from such pleasures.

I did track a copy through the bay and found it for 200 grand. Obviously -and as you would expect- the thing only lasted 1 god-damned day...

Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

This is topic # 666 !! :thingy:
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

[quote name="Mutilator"]This is topic # 666 !! :thingy:[/quote]

I'll rename it Formulas Fatal to the Flesh vinyl then :grimxx: (No, not in a thousand years)

Still I want some Gateways pics :god:

H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

Update: I just bought a copy for almost US$400. First (and only, DUH) press. It took like 3 weeks to get all the way down to Chile from U.K. but finally it has arrived and will be on my filthy claws probably this monday or tuesday.

Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Congratz in finding this -extremely expensive- LP :beer:
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

Delivered to my office on today. Boy, I'm cumming happiness all over the place.

Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

That is genuinely fucking beautiful, and i bet it will sound fucking beautiful :xx:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Sounds great indeed. But I'd never pay that amount of money for a record... even if it is the first print. Any proof on that btw?
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

There exists no second print.

It would be nice to see more pictures: backcover, insert, sleeve, record labels please?

BTW is it true that Heretic has a production flaw making the record not play properly?
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

There really needs to be a second pressing of this, and no collectors colored vinyl blah blah... just a nice sounding black vinyl repressing. Make that shit available.

I have never heard anything about a production flaw making Heretic play wrong :huh:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

[quote name="So Callous"]That is genuinely fucking beautiful, and i bet it will sound fucking beautiful :xx:[/quote]

Man, I have to masturbate each time I play it. It is THAT beautiful.

[quote name="iamgoat"]Sounds great indeed. But I'd never pay that amount of money for a record... even if it is the first print. Any proof on that btw?[/quote]

I HAD TO... It is not a thing I could choose. Gateways represents so much to me, I feel the need to know/own everything related to it. The vinyl is the prime of this train of thought o' mine and regarding vinyls, I'm a first-press splendid mate of mine. Either that or nothing!

[quote name="Mutilator"]There exists no second print.

It would be nice to see more pictures: backcover, insert, sleeve, record labels please?

BTW is it true that Heretic has a production flaw making the record not play properly?[/quote]

Enjoy!

Regarding the flaw, I don't really know. I've never heard of something like that but still I always wondered why Heretic was never released in vinyl.

[quote name="Abzu"]There really needs to be a second pressing of this, and no collectors colored vinyl blah blah... just a nice sounding black vinyl repressing. Make that shit available.

I have never heard anything about a production flaw making Heretic play wrong :huh:[/quote]

I agree... There MUST be a 2nd pressing. I would buy them all.

Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Awesome pics!! Thanks!!! :thingy: :grimxx: Interesting that the LP labels picture the moon reflecting the blasphegram. And there is no insert? Cheap Earache...

Cutha hymns is Trey's TM, Merciless one and Cleansifier music would be Tucker & Rutan.

Heretic is released, but only as a picture disc, and we all know that picture discs don't sound as good as regular vinyl. Regarding the production flaw, I guess I'm mistaken and just encountered the wrong PD.
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

[quote name="Mutilator"]Awesome pics!! Thanks!!! :thingy: :grimxx: Interesting that the LP labels picture the moon reflecting the blasphegram. And there is no insert? Cheap Earache...

Cutha hymns is Trey's TM, Merciless one and Cleansifier music would be Tucker & Rutan.

Heretic is released, but only as a picture disc, and we all know that picture discs don't sound as good as regular vinyl. Regarding the production flaw, I guess I'm mistaken and just encountered the wrong PD.[/quote]

I didn't know Heretic was released as a Picture Disc. My gosh, another work I MUST own...

jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

ehh, picdiscs are strictly collector's items. if you just want a vinyl copy for the sake of listening, skip it, because it's going to sound horrific. of course, if you want it to look cool on your shelf or whatever, by all means. just make sure you've got the right expectations going in :santa:

also kind of wary of the track split on the gateways LP, first side is like 25+ minutes, i believe it's supposed to be kept under 21-22 to get the best sound quality as going over that means narrower grooves which in turns means reduced dynamic range. i don't know why they went for the 6/5 A/B split instead of 5/6, the B side would've still gone a bit over but not as much. maybe the DR on that album is already sufficiently narrow that it doesn't matter? or perhaps it's earache just not giving a fuck as usual.

on that note, be wary of any modern earache represses if you're after vinyls for the sound. they use the CD masters and substandard pressing facilities, the resulting sound quality is not good.

still though, useless complaints aside, that's an awesome score. congrats on the purchase man, i couldn't stomach that pricetag for that specific album, but i've seen a few in that price range that would be tempting if i had the cash to blow.
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

[quote name="Dudley"]ehh, picdiscs are strictly collector's items. if you just want a vinyl copy for the sake of listening, skip it, because it's going to sound horrific. of course, if you want it to look cool on your shelf or whatever, by all means. just make sure you've got the right expectations going in :santa:

also kind of wary of the track split on the gateways LP, first side is like 25+ minutes, i believe it's supposed to be kept under 21-22 to get the best sound quality as going over that means narrower grooves which in turns means reduced dynamic range. i don't know why they went for the 6/5 A/B split instead of 5/6, the B side would've still gone a bit over but not as much. maybe the DR on that album is already sufficiently narrow that it doesn't matter? or perhaps it's earache just not giving a fuck as usual.

on that note, be wary of any modern earache represses if you're after vinyls for the sound. they use the CD masters and substandard pressing facilities, the resulting sound quality is not good.

still though, useless complaints aside, that's an awesome score. congrats on the purchase man, i couldn't stomach that pricetag for that specific album, but i've seen a few in that price range that would be tempting if i had the cash to blow.[/quote]

Thanks for the comment. I was wondering what's the deal with the dynamic range on this one and I can tell this thing destroys. All the subtle nuances, the details on the drumming, basslines and guitarwork... man, I cannot believe it.

Sure the pricetag is high, but my neverending love for "Gateways" sees absolutely no reason to stop from having everything related to it.

Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Your attitude towards this is highly respectable! :grimxx:

You even inspired me to buy the Gateways vinyl and I will pick up my Heretic vinyl next week :bang: :bang: :bang:

The seller initially asked 150,- for it but I bargained something off the price:

<!-- m -->http://www.ebay.nl/itm/150993822822?ssP ... 1439.l2649<!-- m -->
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

[quote name="Mutilator"]Your attitude towards this is highly respectable! :grimxx:

You even inspired me to buy the Gateways vinyl and I will pick up my Heretic vinyl next week :bang: :bang: :bang:

The seller initially asked 150,- for it but I bargained something off the price:

<!-- m -->http://www.ebay.nl/itm/150993822822?ssP ... 1439.l2649<!-- m -->[/quote]

That's coool man, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :D

H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

In other news, I just got a copy of the 2011 press of Domination. I wasn't able to find differences between this pressing and the first one so for 20 bucks, what more can I ask for?

Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

I'm always into first presses. I have Domination in green vinyl.

I didn't know you were also hunting for more MA vinyls or I would've recommended you this rightaway: <!-- m -->http://www.earache.com/webstore/index.p ... vc656u93i1<!-- m -->
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

[quote name="Mutilator"]I'm always into first presses. I have Domination in green vinyl.

I didn't know you were also hunting for more MA vinyls or I would've recommended you this rightaway: <!-- m -->http://www.earache.com/webstore/index.p ... vc656u93i1<!-- m -->[/quote]

Cool, I'm a first press dude too but some releases are pretty much fucked up to get them that way.

Next target is Covenant and Heretic :).

This past Saturday I went to a vinyl fair. I got some cool records like Deep Purple's "Machine Head", Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell", Primus' "Green Naugahyde" and also "Animals" from the almighty, greatest rock band ever to exist, Pink Floyd. I'm planning to own some more in order to build a giant collection :grim: