i am typing illu.d divinum insanus in the google translate

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
vega
Metal God

i am typing illu.d divinum insanus in the google translate

Post by vega »

i am typing illu.d divinum insanus in the google translate (latin-english) and i am getting the answer = "its crazy" :krinor:

did morbid angel make it the language mistake? :oldryan:
FUKKET
Metal God

Re: i am typing illu.d divinum insanus in the google translate

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="vega"]did morbid angel make it the language mistake? :oldryan:[/quote]

no, just a shit album

:judge:
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="vega"]did morbid angel make it the language mistake? :oldryan:[/quote]

but seriously, I do recall an interview with D-able-bodied chap talking about how it can be translated differently etc.

Wasn't it something like "Those Insane Gods" ?

But I'm pretty sure someone on here who did Latin or spoke to a Latin professor about it, explained on here how it was a little wrong.
sworn
Neophyte

Post by sworn »

That was me. I have a Master's degree in Classics (Latin/Greek/Ancient History), and am currently a Ph.D candidate in the same field. Dave, or whoever came up with the title, made a horrible mistake in trying to piece together a Latin phrase. It looks like he merely picked up a Latin/English dictionary and took the dictionary entry of each word he wanted and slapped them together. For Latin, or any inflected language for that matter, this won't work.

Latin, as mentioned above, is an inflected language. That means that the endings of the word change in relation to how they work grammatically in a clause. English is 99.9% not an inflected language. A rare example of where it is retained is in he/his/him. "He" can only be the subject of a sentence (i.e., He went to the store and bought Tom's old book). "His" can only be a possessive (i.e., Dave drove his car off a cliff), the pronoun "his" can refer to Dave, its direct antecedent, or somebody else as English can be rather unclear with its pronouns, but, regardless, the "his" in this sentence is always related to possession. "Him" can be a direct object, the object of a preposition, or an indirect object. You could never say, for example, "Him went to the store to buy his's old book, which he then threw at he."

This level of ridiculousness is what the name of the album sounds like in Latin.

I posted about this on here, and on MA's official Facebook page... maybe Dave actually saw my post... who knows.

I was going to paste my original post here, but there seems to be some kind of word-altering program on the board here, so a lot of what I said has certain words manipulated.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

sworn dropping some knowledge up in here :xx:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

darned fancy word altering programs! :shakefist:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="zim"]sworn dropping some knowledge up in here :xx:[/quote]

:idea:

[quote name="Abzu"]darned fancy word altering programs! :shakefist:[/quote]

:santa:
vega
Metal God

Post by vega »

[quote name="sworn"]That was me. I have a Master's degree in Classics (Latin/Greek/Ancient History), and am currently a Ph.D candidate in the same field. Dave, or whoever came up with the title, made a horrible mistake in trying to piece together a Latin phrase. It looks like he merely picked up a Latin/English dictionary and took the dictionary entry of each word he wanted and slapped them together. For Latin, or any inflected language for that matter, this won't work.

Latin, as mentioned above, is an inflected language. That means that the endings of the word change in relation to how they work grammatically in a clause. English is 99.9% not an inflected language. A rare example of where it is retained is in he/his/him. "He" can only be the subject of a sentence (i.e., He went to the store and bought Tom's old book). "His" can only be a possessive (i.e., Dave drove his car off a cliff), the pronoun "his" can refer to Dave, its direct antecedent, or somebody else as English can be rather unclear with its pronouns, but, regardless, the "his" in this sentence is always related to possession. "Him" can be a direct object, the object of a preposition, or an indirect object. You could never say, for example, "Him went to the store to buy his's old book, which he then threw at he."

This level of ridiculousness is what the name of the album sounds like in Latin.

I posted about this on here, and on MA's official Facebook page... maybe Dave actually saw my post... who knows.

I was going to paste my original post here, but there seems to be some kind of word-altering program on the board here, so a lot of what I said has certain words manipulated.[/quote]

sworn :xx:

welcome to mabb

:xx:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

the fries khav it the chili cheese
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

[quote name="sworn"]That was me. I have a Master's degree in Classics (Latin/Greek/Ancient History), and am currently a Ph.D candidate in the same field. Dave, or whoever came up with the title, made a horrible mistake in trying to piece together a Latin phrase. It looks like he merely picked up a Latin/English dictionary and took the dictionary entry of each word he wanted and slapped them together. For Latin, or any inflected language for that matter, this won't work.

I was going to paste my original post here, but there seems to be some kind of word-altering program on the board here, so a lot of what I said has certain words manipulated.[/quote]

Welcome back, sworn. <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8452&start=40 ... m+latin</a><!-- l -->

The word altering 'joke' on this forum is annoying but don't let it bother you to post stuff.
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

[quote name="sworn"] Dave drove his car off a cliff[/quote]

If only :homework:
vega
Metal God

Post by vega »

now mabb is giving the good latin educations :alien:
Phantoon