Multiple COVENANT album covers???

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
sworn
Neophyte

Multiple COVENANT album covers???

Post by sworn »

Not sure if anyone here knows the reason for this, but there are clear differences in certain Covenant album covers. If you look at the "Book of Ceremonial Magic," there are two sigils on the left page. It seems that all US versions of the album have the sigils completely cens0red, the UK version shows them both, and the vinyl covers have only one sigil cens0red. What's the reason for this?

Is it simply a copyright thing, where the first issues of the album showed too much of a copyrighted work, then later was cens0red? Although, that doesn't seem to hold water since I bought a UK version of the CD from the UK Earache store a year ago to get a copy with the two sigils because all US versions have them cens0red. Maybe the variance of copyright infringement vary considerably from the US and Europe, where the latter are more liberal; not too sure. I always assumed a copyright-centered answer, but the vinyl covers really confuse things; the vinyl covers have 1 sigil showing on both the US and UK versions. So...if copyright explains why the US versions cens0red the sigils, why on the vinyl is only one cens0red?

Now that I inspect them more, it seems that the two-sigil version is not authentic. The two sigils appear to be the same. It looks like the two-sigil version is the one-sigil version where someone cut-and-pasted the right sigil on the left side. If someone owns Waite's "Book of Ceremonial Magic" check out page 124 to see what you see.

This is why I turn to you all. What the hell is going on here?

Below are images of all three versions: no sigils, one sigil, two sigils.

FUKKET
Metal God

Re: Multiple COVENANT album covers???

Post by FUKKET »

I'm pretty sure this was discussed & answered on an old MABB - I just can't remember the reason...

was it Arthur Edward Waite's publishers called copyright infringement on them?

* Shines the Tom signal *
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

It definitely was, yeah.

The Chapel still exists?! :shock: :homework:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
sworn
Neophyte

Post by sworn »

Thanks for the info. So, I suppose then that that first US printings of Covenant are all two-sigil?

Odd as it may be, I now am officially in the market for a two-sigil Covenant vinyl.

...while we're on the topic of their album covers, I thought that I read on here once that Domination was altered. I know that the CD/Cass had one cover and the Vinyl another, but I'm pretty sure that I heard that at some point in a later printing the angle of the artwork changed? Sounds weird to me, and rather suspect, but who knows.
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Check this thread, man: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7640&p=117561 ... p117561</a><!-- l -->