Lion's den LIVE

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God

Lion's den LIVE

Post by ANGEL OF DESEASE »

[youtube]K6Qt6b7fMas[/youtube]

fuck i love this track :ma:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rocknrolla">prostitutes....they are magical beings. Almost like unicorns. But instead of unicorns, prostitutes do exist. They cost real money. But..........It may just be worth the while. They do unbelievable things with their mouths.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Extreme Noise Tara">Ryan is black.</blockquote>
Mutilator
Ancient One

Re: Lion's den LIVE

Post by Mutilator »

:xx: finally! fucking awesome!

I hate to admit this, but Tim Yeung does a better, more fluid executed, job than Pete Sandoval on this one imo.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

get out
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="zim"]get out[/quote]
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Just for that, I'm not sending you the tape. :judge:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

:frown:
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

I'm not saying live but compared to the album version.

I mean the 3 snares and cymbal break for instance on 0.22.

[youtube]HHsW9bMqPC4[/youtube]

It always sounded a tiny fraction too late/not as fluid as could be to me. Compared to this live version I hear the difference in both versions.

What do you think when comparing this?

[quote name="Abzu"]Just for that, I'm not sending you the tape. :judge:[/quote]

I would've shared it to the board like I the stuff i shared before, so this way you deny it to everybody here. Think again and hold true to the words from the past years while you kept the board waiting.
ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God

Post by ANGEL OF DESEASE »

every one has its opinion, no problem.

I miss Commando a lot anyway. . . .

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rocknrolla">prostitutes....they are magical beings. Almost like unicorns. But instead of unicorns, prostitutes do exist. They cost real money. But..........It may just be worth the while. They do unbelievable things with their mouths.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Extreme Noise Tara">Ryan is black.</blockquote>
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

[quote name="Mutilator"]

It always sounded a tiny fraction too late/not as fluid as could be to me. Compared to this live version I hear the difference in both versions.

I would've shared it to the board like I the stuff i shared before, so this way you deny it to everybody here. Think again and hold true to the words from the past years while you kept the board waiting.[/quote]

Pete is not the most technical player in the world but he had a lot of groove. That's what separates him as a death metal drummer, and more so on Covenant because as fruital of a death metal album it is, it still possesses tons of groove and that swing feel. Most of his snare hits especially when he is playing i half with the snares on 2 and 4, are in the pocket; he drops them behind the beat. But it is all consistent so it's musical. It almost comes across as some evil sounding '50's drummer. The DM these days is all super, grid-accurate "performance." I think that the change between generations could throw some folks off. You know, you hear something from 2013 and then Covenant; yea, it's different.
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]
[quote name="Mutilator"]

I would've shared it to the board like I the stuff i shared before, so this way you deny it to everybody here. Think again and hold true to the words from the past years while you kept the board waiting.[/quote]

Pete is not the most technical player in the world but he had a lot of groove. That's what separates him as a death metal drummer, and more so on Covenant because as fruital of a death metal album it is, it still possesses tons of groove and that swing feel. Most of his snare hits especially when he is playing i half with the snares on 2 and 4, are in the pocket; he drops them behind the beat. But it is all consistent so it's musical. It almost comes across as some evil sounding '50's drummer. The DM these days is all super, grid-accurate "performance." I think that the change between generations could throw some folks off. You know, you hear something from 2013 and then Covenant; yea, it's different.[/quote]

Yes, I agree with it all here. Thanks for the enlightment and you've added the right context I lacked: I used the word 'better' wrongly. Pete's drumming is more organic making it sound more 'alive' while Tim's drumming is more computer accurate. I was overwhelmed by it at first but in this case technicality loses from expression.
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]
[quote name="Mutilator"]

Pete is not the most technical player in the world but he had a lot of groove. That's what separates him as a death metal drummer, and more so on Covenant because as fruital of a death metal album it is, it still possesses tons of groove and that swing feel. Most of his snare hits especially when he is playing i half with the snares on 2 and 4, are in the pocket; he drops them behind the beat. But it is all consistent so it's musical. It almost comes across as some evil sounding '50's drummer. The DM these days is all super, grid-accurate "performance."[/quote]

Very well put :clap:

I think a lot of supposed "inconsistencies" in Pete's performances are in fact style and subsequent character, which very few death metal drummers seem to have. I appreciate the precision and stamina of the Tim Yeung's of the world, but I don't care to listen to most of their bland output.
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

End of the riff sounds better unchanged .
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

Subpar soloing and bland, dull drumming WON'T make justice for the lack of live recordings on this one. Uninspired shit is always the worse...

I'm sure Tucker w/ Rutan and Sandoval would turn this masterpiece into something worthy of its own.
Wide open 'til you see God, then BRAKE!

Kevin Schwantz #34 - Team Suzuki Lucky Strike
Cybermetatron

Post by Cybermetatron »

I prefer Pete's groove on this song !
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Post by Hallucinating dead »

Even in studio recordings it seem he never uses metronome while recording drums. I realised this while programming drums over pain divine for recording a cover. But it fits better than plain straight accurate drumming.
..For the freedoms and prisons are in the mind..
Cybermetatron

Post by Cybermetatron »

You're right ! I've noticed that as well ! It has more groove like that imo.

But it seems that he has used a metronome on domination, and maybe gateways and heretic
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="Hallucinating dead"]Even in studio recordings it seem he never uses metronome while recording drums. I realised this while programming drums over pain divine for recording a cover. But it fits better than plain straight accurate drumming.[/quote]

I think Trey said somewhere that the only album they ever used a click track for was Domination.
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Cybermetatron

Post by Cybermetatron »

[quote name="zim"]
[quote name="Hallucinating dead"]Even in studio recordings it seem he never uses metronome while recording drums. I realised this while programming drums over pain divine for recording a cover. But it fits better than plain straight accurate drumming.[/quote]

I think Trey said somewhere that the only album they ever used a click track for was Domination.[/quote]

Yeah in this interview at around 6:15 Trey says that they used a metronome on Domination.

[youtube]_bhTqbdgK_s[/youtube]
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i wonder how old trey is during that interview
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Post by Hallucinating dead »

How do they record without a metronome ? How do they manage to maintain tempo ?
..For the freedoms and prisons are in the mind..
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

because pete is fucking awesome, that's how
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

[quote name="zim"]i wonder how old trey is during that interview[/quote]

about 33
Cybermetatron

Post by Cybermetatron »

[quote name="zim"]because pete is fucking awesome, that's how[/quote]
groomdedz
Neophyte

Post by groomdedz »

My favorite Morbid Angel song, together with Vengeance Is Mine :)
deep in your hearts you have nothing but fear!!!!