I'm seeing them for the first time on Friday

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
^_____________^
Ancient One
Location: I'm Going To Pull Your Endocrine System Out Of Your Body

I'm seeing them for the first time on Friday

Post by ^_____________^ »

How disappointed will I be?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
TamPron
Metal God

Re: I'm seeing them for the first time on Friday

Post by TamPron »

They are still pretty good live.
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

User
Metal God

Post by User »

:horns: you will have an awesome fucking time :horns:
more metal
^_____________^
Ancient One

I'm really excited. I'm going late to that Summer Slaughter tour by myself, cus my GF is visiting family out of town. Don't care about any of the other bands, I don't mind paying $30 just to see Morbid Angel. Hoping to get a shirt and the best thing to happen would be a pic with Trey. :xx:

Also the venue they're playing at has theater seating... so I won't have to deal with moshing cockbags, I'll be able to watch while seated, playing full attention to their performance... :bang: :hornz: :entropy:

In my opinion that's the ideal way in which to see MA perform. :thingy:
Terfos
God of Emptiness

Post by Terfos »

$30 to watch leather cowboy, androgynous model, half-bald pirate and trey.

Alone.

Sitting in a packed theater.
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

I visited the website for the place they're performing at where I live on Sunday, but there was no info to buy tickets. I'd be surprised if they're sold out, but maybe they are. Guess I'll have to call. Right now my attitude is "I don't have anything better to do" so if I can I'll go.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

saw them awhile back, despite david being a douche and no pete, they sounded great and it was of course amazing to see trey play
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
^_____________^
Ancient One

I bought my tickets online this morning. They're scheduled to play at 10:00 tonight, but it'll probably be later, because that's how shows go. I'm going to leave around eight, hopefully I'll be able to catch Dying Fetus, wouldn't mind seeing them at all. Good to hear from the majority of people that their performance will be good.
^_____________^
Ancient One

Well I just got back and I do say this was definitely one of if not THE best life experience I've ever had, was not disappointed at all. I actually love David Vincent now, as he and I made eye contact during Bil-Ur-Sag and did synchronized air punches to those crushing rhythyms in the beginning that continue throughout the song. He's a great front-man and performed the Tucker songs flawlessly. Seeing them for the first time was just... incredible. I know you guys that got to see them in the glory days will probably shake heads... but this was just so special. Tim Yeung and Destructhor ain't no slouches either, they are fucking great players. Tim was actually doing drum stuck throws/twirls throughout the performance, and dropped the right hand stick once during "Ageless" only to start laughing his ass off while still working the double kicks, didn't lose a beat, picked it right back up and kept going. Trey of course, was, the epitome of perfection, a guitar god in the flesh, single most inspirational musician for me in the history of forever really.

So yeah as I crack open my Guinness and type up a report on the MABB I really couldn't be happier. :xx:
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

I was happy to hear david doing more low growls, but I wish he would do them at a more 50/50 rate or so. He is a really good frontman, I just wish he wasn't such a douche.
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Positivity :xx:
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

I saw Morbid open for Pantera back in 00. Tucker and Rutan were still in the band at the time and they were promoting Gateways. It was a strange experience because most folks were there to see Dime. I don't remember the set list too much but they did mostly songs from Gateways. I do remember them playing Lord of All Fevers and Plagues, Chapel of Ghouls and Maze of Torment. During these songs I notice two dudes just thrashing their necks to pieces, which was strange because most people were standing around like they never heard some black/thrash before.

One of the best shows I've ever seen, not just because of Pantera but because Morbid Angel brought their brand of metal to my state and they haven't been back since so I consider myself lucky to be a part of that experience and I hope you had as much fun as me and the dudes that were breakin fuckin necks.
Humor ist nichts nichts Normales, also niemand der normal ist, braucht Humor...Humor braucht man nur, um von sowas tief in einem drin abzulenken, so dieses Gefühl von Unausgeglichenheit, diese nagende, kratzende Leere, die man so in sich spürt.
^_____________^
Ancient One

Hahah damn I was eight years old in 2000 :santa: and yes I had a fucking great time. Will remember it forever. Hopefully I'll be seeing them many more times.
^_____________^
Ancient One

Guys, I even like Illud now. What's happening to me :dizzy:

That live show really just won me over in all aspects.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

no, you don't like Illud
more metal
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="User"]no, you don't like Illud[/quote]
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
^_____________^
Ancient One

Yes I do. I bought the CD.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Many people made that mistake.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
^_____________^
Ancient One

I bought it yesterday and I've listened to it twice already and I legitimately don't hate it anymore. :ba:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

stockholm syndrome
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

[quote name="zim"]stockholm syndrome[/quote]

has to be!
^_____________^
Ancient One

I'm not saying it's my favorite album by them or anything, because it's not. If anything it's just a little silly at times, which isn't really a good enough reason for me to outright hate the shit out of it anymore. They obviously had fun making it and the death metal songs on it are pretty good, especially live. I really dug the solo on Existo Vulgore and listening to it with these new ears I realize that the solos don't actually sound uninspired or shit, they're actually pretty awesome. I think it just took seeing that the band was still really into their music and still really enjoys performing it to get me to open up to appreciate the album for what it is, which isn't a serious statement of artistic expression like their earlier and superior albums, it's just more of a fun "rock 'n roll" style album. I'm sure the band has been wanting to do something like that for a long time, and more power to them. It's not like they deleted A-H from our memories and from the face of the earth when it was released. Those albums are still there, and the band still puts their all into them when performing live.

That's just my opinion though, not trying to start an argument or convince anyone to like/listen to the album at all. :santa: :flowers:
Terfos
God of Emptiness

Post by Terfos »

the electronic stuff sounds like it was made with a version of Ejay Techno that came in a cereal box.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:inram:
;,,;
^_____________^
Ancient One

Like I said I'm not trying to argue. It does sound silly, but I don't hate it. Kind of catchy too. Death metal songs are pretty good. Don't ruin my positivity. :shakefist:
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

That's more or less my stance on the album now too, just take it or leave it. It was meant to be just a fun, heavy record but I guess they forgot just how dedicated their fanbase was/are.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

I

for integrity

shit electronica

+

tacky, uninspired metal

a good album does not make

from a band with eight killer studio albums behind them
more metal
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

This is the usual stance when a band has a change of direction in sound. I seen it in the mid era of the gloryhole when all the pioneers of thrash followed Metallica's lead after the black album was released. This fact will never change amongst the die hard fans.

I personally dig I because I enjoy it when bands challenge themselves to try something different. I find that to be the point Trey and co were doing on I. Sure it's not their patented brand of music we all have enjoyed from back in the day but sometimes you just have to experiment a bit in order to reinvent yourself musically as artists.

With that said I'm really looking forward to hearing what MA come up with on J.
Humor ist nichts nichts Normales, also niemand der normal ist, braucht Humor...Humor braucht man nur, um von sowas tief in einem drin abzulenken, so dieses Gefühl von Unausgeglichenheit, diese nagende, kratzende Leere, die man so in sich spürt.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Dr. Gonzo"]This is the usual stance when a band has a change of direction in sound.[/quote]

That's the dumbest defense given against the criticism of the album and I can't believe people are still using it.

No, people do not dislike Illud because it's a change in direction. People dislike Illud because it's fucking terrible and uninspired. It's not because it is different. The 'direction' could have been executed wonderfully but instead flopped.
;,,;
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

I cant help that I am a fan of MA and they put out a record that no one likes but I enjoy. To each their own and there is nothing that anyone could say that would make me think otherwise.