For vinylfreaks: messages in the run-out groove

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Mutilator
Ancient One

For vinylfreaks: messages in the run-out groove

Post by Mutilator »

From AskEarache:

Question: Hey. I not too long ago bought a copy of Harmony Corruption. At the middle of the vinyl theres stuff carved in. This took me a few months to spot actually, cos i was blowing dust from the record and held it side on to the light and i could see the scribed stuff. It was MPO on both sides. Mosh 19 A^ and the A side and Mosh 19 B^ on the B side. But then its got some wierd stuff. On Side A it also has \"How Chuffed?\" scribed in and \"Utopic\". On side B it says \"What a doss\".

Do you have any idea of what this could be?

Dan From: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:danwain21@aol.com">danwain21@aol.com</a><!-- e -->

Answer: yeah its the identifying marks scratched into the vinyl during the manufacturing process- MPO is the plant that mass produced the vinyl (in france) Utopia is the cutting studio in London where the master tape is transfered to acetate (vinyl master).

The other words are a hidden message I added to the vinyl run-out groove during the Mastering/Cutting process, in the cutting process the vinyl acetate is quite soft plastic and can easily be etched with a simple sharp tool...it was quite common in the 80's/ 90's for bands to leave cryptic messages for fans in the run out groove.Usually they arre in-jokes or spur of the moment sayings..mostly nothing really profound.How Chuffed and What a Doss were sayings which Napalm death members used to use on a daily basis at the time, so seemed appropriate to add them, simply to raise a chuckle when the fans read it. Nearly every Earache records vinyl edition has some saying or other etched in the run out groove, cept in recent years when the idea seems to have gone out of fashion.

On the Altars of madness LP there is carved: 'Fast enough Borivoj?' on the A side. On the B side there's carved: 'Watch out for Terrorizer'

This is ofcourse a pun to Metal forces writer Borivoj Krgin, who claimed, back in the day, that everything faster then Slayer is crap.

Do you know any other vinyl carved messages?
vO)))id
Metal God

Re: For vinylfreaks: messages in the run-out groove

Post by vO)))id »

Haha this is absolutely brilliant! I never knew about this :grin:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

never heard of this before, pretty cool! anyone know if the reprints from a few years back have anything inscribed on them? i've got the altars LP, but it's still sealed and sitting in a closet somewhere about a thousand miles away from here.
Teignub
Ancient One

Post by Teignub »

:interessant:

i will be looking at my friends original earache vinyls for similar things
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Here are some more:

Entombed - Clandestine: Is it a bird, is it a flute?

Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium staat: Mike Smail's Rollercoaster

Cathedral - In Memorium: side A: Soz Sinbad side B: The end of the beginning

Cathedral - Statik Majik side B: Ridiculous and very childish

Cathedral - Caravan Beyond Redemption:

side A: We sacrifice our soul... side B:... cause we are the supernatural vinyl machine

Carcass: Reek side A: Exume to consume

side B: Death's food for you

Necroticism side A:Guv'nors of gore

side B: Jeddish dialect

Why, (Discharge ep): 'To satisfy their mania for conquest, lives are squandered'.

Heavy metal maniac (Exciter): 'In god we trust'.

Suicidal Tendencies: 'What you talkin 'bout?'.

Unearthly Trance - Electrocution: 'Vengeance will be so bittersweet!' and 'You've been had by the technology'.

Regurgitate/ Suppository split: 'Grind bastard inferno!!'

and '2b listened 2 in 2027'

Agoraphobic Nosebleed - A clockwork sodom 'door de bomen het bos niet meer zien'.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:xx:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
latem
Mature Neophyte

Post by latem »

on the abominations lp from earache on side a it says "transformation" ...none of the other morbid angel lp's have anything on them :tear: