Blessed - dynamic range

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Lavabug
Metal God

Blessed - dynamic range

Post by Lavabug »

So I need to get B.

Thinking of finding an old 1st press of the CD, does this one have the best sound/dynamic range? Is the new FDR vinyl repress exactly this or does one sound better than the other? They both cost the same, but I'd rather have everything on CD (as the rest of my albums are on CD) unless the new FDR reissue sounds noticeably better.
Abzu
Postwhore

Re: Blessed - dynamic range

Post by Abzu »

I've never heard the original press, but I have the FDR vinyl now and it does sound nicer than my CD and the other Blessed reissue vinyl I bought awhile back.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Abzu wrote:I've never heard the original press, but I have the FDR vinyl now and it does sound nicer than my CD and the other Blessed reissue vinyl I bought awhile back.
what CD press do you have? As in, label and year.

There is a fuckton of versions of blessed on discogs. :shock:
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

I'd say if they cost the same then just go with what you vibe with most.
I've shot out Covenant FDR vs 16-bit CD audio and there's a difference but it wasn't huge.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Taurean Mixing wrote:I'd say if they cost the same then just go with what you vibe with most.
I've shot out Covenant FDR vs 16-bit CD audio and there's a difference but it wasn't huge.
I have every MA full length except I and B on CD so I kinda want to keep continuity. I'd like to get the best sounding CD version which I suspect is the earliest pressings, but I'm willing to break continuity with an LP if the new FDR reissue is noticeably better than the best CD. I definitely feel B is an album that would benefit from less compression and more space between instruments.

Apparently my cd/dvd version of altars is brickwalled to shit, keeping it cause Trey and Pete signed the insert but I'll probably rebuy this one.
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

Lavabug wrote:
Taurean Mixing wrote:I'd say if they cost the same then just go with what you vibe with most.
I have every MA full length except I and B on CD so I kinda want to keep continuity. I'd like to get the best sounding CD version which I suspect is the earliest pressings, but I'm willing to break continuity with an LP if the new FDR reissue is noticeably better than the best CD. I definitely feel B is an album that would benefit from less compression and more space between instruments.

Apparently my cd/dvd version of altars is brickwalled to shit, keeping it cause Trey and Pete signed the insert but I'll probably rebuy this one.
I would say Blessed FDR has a bit more difference than CD compared to Covenant. And I think it's probably due to more progressive/modern techniques applied on Covenant vs. Blessed.
These differences again are up to you to determine if it's worth it or not. The headroom is about 3dB +/- for FDR. Typically I hear more dynamics (duh) and space between transients for example. You can hear how frequency ranges are a bit more clamped down but then also chunkier on the CD version. Is it worth it in this case? To me, I think FDR would possibly make more difference on modern records because of all the compressing and smashing that is done for the simple sake of loudness. Seriously old school guys like Fleming Rasmussen are so good at what they do, the dynamics that are left in for FDR are not 'make or break' for the mix. But I am willingly to bet for a modern mix, it would make or break it. Anyway compare for yourself, don't forget to level match.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

My cd FDR reissues of scum and from enslavement to obliteration definitely sound way, way better than rips of later versions I have.

Digging around NWN forums I read the new blessed FDR LP is really just the original mastering from 91. Meh, I just ordered the 1st press of the CD, earache/euro version for about as much as the LP. I'd rather not split up my bands over cd and lp unless I absolutely have to.
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

Lavabug wrote:My cd FDR reissues of scum and from enslavement to obliteration definitely sound way, way better than rips of later versions I have.

Digging around NWN forums I read the new blessed FDR LP is really just the original mastering from 91. Meh, I just ordered the 1st press of the CD, earache/euro version for about as much as the LP. I'd rather not split up my bands over cd and lp unless I absolutely have to.
The line between novel and actually better is blurred at times. Loudness, as a simple variable, also doesn't help matters when discerning quality. I think the first-press CD is probably a better choice. I don't know if you remember, some years ago I posted about the so-called remasters and Altars for example turned out to be nothing more than program limited and bumped up some dB. That's it. By the way, if you ever wanted to rip a track from the FDR and "regular" CD you mentioned and send to me to compare and analyze, I'm game.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I haven't done any analysis, but I can say my FDR vinyls do sound better than other pressings I've had and heard, and it's not a matter of loudness. If I recall, FDR was supposed to be a step away from the loudness bumps and that whole nonsense.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Lavabug wrote:
Abzu wrote:I've never heard the original press, but I have the FDR vinyl now and it does sound nicer than my CD and the other Blessed reissue vinyl I bought awhile back.

Wow, you weren't kidding. That's a lot!

The previous LP I own is the Century Media release from 2015 (Discogs) and the CD (which I gave to MiniAbzu when I bought the LP) is a 1995 Earache release (Discogs). I had to look in the CD matrix to figure out which one.
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

Abzu wrote:I haven't done any analysis, but I can say my FDR vinyls do sound better than other pressings I've had and heard, and it's not a matter of loudness. If I recall, FDR was supposed to be a step away from the loudness bumps and that whole nonsense.
Definitely was supposed to be, and more likely than not, FDR will not be louder.
That might dissuade some. OR vice versa not truly realizing the differences, the novel aspect of FDR may persuade some.
It's something to be considered case by case, album by album.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Taurean Mixing wrote:
Lavabug wrote:My cd FDR reissues of scum and from enslavement to obliteration definitely sound way, way better than rips of later versions I have.

The line between novel and actually better is blurred at times. Loudness, as a simple variable, also doesn't help matters when discerning quality. I think the first-press CD is probably a better choice. I don't know if you remember, some years ago I posted about the so-called remasters and Altars for example turned out to be nothing more than program limited and bumped up some dB. That's it. By the way, if you ever wanted to rip a track from the FDR and "regular" CD you mentioned and send to me to compare and analyze, I'm game.
My buddy has a 1995 repress of blessed that was already brickwalled, we'll be comparing the 1st press side by side. I'll report back when that happens and give it a rip too.

I read somewhere that the 2015 LP represses by century media were CD masters pressed to vinyl, and that these FDR reissues are essentially "reparations" for that.

But it's probably just earache fishing for money (shock, gasp) with this new FDR trend. They've reissued bats over a half dozen times and most were the loudness-wars era versions as far as I can tell.
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

Lavabug wrote:
Taurean Mixing wrote:

My buddy has a 1995 repress of blessed that was already brickwalled, we'll be comparing the 1st press side by side. I'll report back when that happens and give it a rip too.

I read somewhere that the 2015 LP represses by century media were CD masters pressed to vinyl, and that these FDR reissues are essentially "reparations" for that.

But it's probably just earache fishing for money (shock, gasp) with this new FDR trend. They've reissued bats over a half dozen times and most were the loudness-wars era versions as far as I can tell.
Fishing for money?! I don't believe it :grin: I mean it doesn't get more transparent: vinyl resurgence and then "FDR." Meanwhile, I think CD without loudness wars was the best medium.
Cool, looking forward to your thoughts on it and the rips, then we can compare experiences.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Can't say I didn't fall prey to it, just ordered the FDR reissue of world downfall. :D Glad I waited as long as I did to get this.

I wonder if they'll do one for Forest of equilibrium, that would sound amazing.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Abzu wrote:
Lavabug wrote:

Wow, you weren't kidding. That's a lot!

The previous LP I own is the Century Media release from 2015 (Discogs) and the CD (which I gave to MiniAbzu when I bought the LP) is a 1995 Earache release (Discogs). I had to look in the CD matrix to figure out which one.
Thats the ein CD I have :gay:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG8lGA5SQGw
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

I got that one too :gay:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.