Heretic

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Chaos Axe
Neophyte

Heretic

Post by Chaos Axe »

This album is amazing, screw the haters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E53JZL_mzEw
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Re: Heretic

Post by happiness and harmony »

who hates this album :huh:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

djt
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

well like duh, i mean other than that
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

I like it. :santa:
-M-
Ancient One

Post by -M- »

TamPron wrote:I like it. :santa:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

-M- wrote:
TamPron wrote:I like it. :santa:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

:ba:
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

I fucking love it lol
Wide open 'til you see God, then BRAKE!

Kevin Schwantz #34 - Team Suzuki Lucky Strike
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

not my favorite album but compared to Illud it's a fucking masterpiece.
rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
Chaos Axe
Neophyte

Post by Chaos Axe »

I got this message on Facebook from Punchy:

"Well...thanks! Trey and I worked on a very different angle for that record. By definition, it is a Heretic. It went against all normal constraints for a record done at that time. No compression or limiting to the signals, lots of fader moves, and lots of tweaking. Different amps for guitars blended together made for an odd, yet interesting guitar tone. On a side note..when it was mastered, it was done to a VINYL standard and not a CD standard. This means that you can crank up the record without getting the usual distortion that occurs from heavily compressed mixes."
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Harry tick
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
Chaos Axe
Neophyte

Post by Chaos Axe »

Nick wrote:Harry tick
Another retard ...
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

Get used to them, Necro's bar doesn't cut it for some folk

TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

:huh:
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Chaos Axe wrote:
Nick wrote:Harry tick
Another retard ...
:goner:
Ninny wrote:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

shadowalk wrote:Image

:redneck:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I like this record but it doesn't feel like an album. It kinda has an open ending.
-M-
Ancient One

Post by -M- »

Chaos Axe wrote:I got this message on Facebook from Punchy:

"Well...thanks! Trey and I worked on a very different angle for that record. By definition, it is a Heretic. It went against all normal constraints for a record done at that time. No compression or limiting to the signals, lots of fader moves, and lots of tweaking. Different amps for guitars blended together made for an odd, yet interesting guitar tone. On a side note..when it was mastered, it was done to a VINYL standard and not a CD standard. This means that you can crank up the record without getting the usual distortion that occurs from heavily compressed mixes."
Good to know. Thanks :santa:
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

It's interesting because I had Heretic's intention assessed instinctively years back. I had made a post about it in Dec 2010 (when I was TranscendingMusic here) regarding the sound of that album and what I thought it represented and how it tied into the theme of being a heretic in a sense.

Here's the link to my original post: http://www.mabb.us/viewtopic.php?f=30&t ... 53#p183803

I suppose the overall outcome of Heretic can render "a sound". --- I kind of get it, you know? The whole sound and vision I think trey was going for would kind of make you imaginitively depart to another time period in a sense. Really anaylzing Heretic you may realize it has somewhat of a vinyl LP sound. When they cut vinyl back in the day they had to do special filtering so as to keep extended low end to a minimum at risk of letting grooves get too deep. since low frequencies are big and intrusive (that's what she said) they would also need more real estate on the medium. Heretic has this sound: low mid range forward, sort of a covered old school sound. even the guitar distortion is like a ripped speaker: buzzy and extended high's with less biting mid-range. Modern sounds are just the opposite. Anyway, I think it was part of the idea of going back to a time where defiance, especially in the arts, had a place in creating atmosphere and sending a message. People may be appreciated creative things more because 1) they didn't come by them as easy as we have it now and 2) things were not rushed then; they were introverted, more internal less distractions. So what better time to make an impact through music and dark music at that, than to put oneself in that time period where music and the like was not taken for granted. It also meant a dark and brooding style of music (think Black sabbath and their impact at that time!) had THAt much more impact; heretical atmosphere. Anyway, it seems this type of sound is something done with intent rather than relegated in this day and age so yea, that's my explanation for Heretic.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

H4T3M4CH1N3 wrote:Get used to them, Necro's bar doesn't cut it for some folk
chapel folk dissing the me necros bar folk?

that is a first
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

Verbal wrote:
H4T3M4CH1N3 wrote:Get used to them, Necro's bar doesn't cut it for some folk
chapel folk dissing the me necros bar folk?

that is a first
Umadbro? Get bent

droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

:gaylol:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

This album has the best thanks list though...

WWWWOOOOWWWWEEEEEEEEE!!!
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i don't know where my liner notes are but i'm pretty sure i'm in that thanks list indirectly
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i am out of the loop, why are you guys in the thanks list
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

Wat?

Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

zim wrote:i am out of the loop, why are you guys in the thanks list
Stormy did quake stuffs
Ninny wrote:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Yeah they had a sailor scouts quake 3 instagib clan. Server was called Pin The Rail On The Donkey. Fun times. :idea:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

that poor donkey
Arise212
Neophyte

Post by Arise212 »

I actually enjoy Heretic more than Gateways, I feel that the songs are just more interesting on Heretic but the production is weird and just not very good.

Trey does indeed have a very entertaining thanks list on that album.

My very first interaction with Trey (before meeting him in person) was through his personal myspace page back in 2006, when he announced it on the MA website, I was within like the first couple hundred people to send him a request. I chatted with him many times. I remember when he sent me a download link for his zDOOM mod, Chambers of Dis. It was very chaotic, I got destroyed by mechanical spiders instantly. He gave me some advice about how I was supposed to immediately stand on the portal and told me where to go etc. Yeah I sucked at it. I was a wolfenstein 3d kid growing up, I didn't spend much time with Doom or DoomII
Vooder
Mature Neophyte

Post by Vooder »

MA should Re-record or remaster Heretic
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

Vooder wrote:MA should Re-record or remaster Heretic
Vooder ever hear my "remaster"? Here's the original 2011 post with link
Taurean Mixing wrote:Alright well here's a "re-mastered" rendition with more low end. Again i'm not crazy about the idea of processing something that's been processed/limited/dithered/bit-reduced BUT this is just to hear it in a different light. I did some balancing with harmonics and little EQ. "Corrected" upper mid's to let the instruments pop more; it's like more "color" in some strange sonic way. If you can extrapolate the benefits of what was done here and try and ignore or understand the artifacts and side-effects because of the nature of the file then all the better. I could only wish to have Morbid Angel raw mixes or even better raw tracks to re-mix!

http://www.mediafire.com/?n3z639wkn8aisnw

Let me say the original master is problematic because of the mix. It could very well be, as you guys were pondering, that Steve, again liked the sound of what they got as for a track or raw tone. But they didn't mix in bass in a balanced way. So obviously with a done mix (and to make matters worse, a done master in this case) it's extremely difficult to try and tweak something specific. The kick drum is very resonant in several octaves, that doesn't help.

I suppose the overall outcome of Heretic can render "a sound". --- I kind of get it, you know? The whole sound and vision I think trey was going for would kind of make you imaginitively depart to another time period in a sense. Really anaylzing Heretic you may realize it has somewhat of a vinyl LP sound. When they cut vinyl back in the day they had to do special filtering so as to keep extended low end to a minimum at risk of letting grooves get too deep. since low frequencies are big and intrusive (that's what she said) they would also need more real estate on the medium. Heretic has this sound: low mid range forward, sort of a covered old school sound. even the guitar distortion is like a ripped speaker: buzzy and extended high's with less biting mid-range. Modern sounds are just the opposite. Anyway, I think it was part of the idea of going back to a time where defiance, especially in the arts, had a place in creating atmosphere and sending a message. People may be appreciated creative things more because 1) they didn't come by them as easy as we have it now and 2) things were not rushed then; they were introverted, more internal less distractions. So what better time to make an impact through music and dark music at that, than to put oneself in that time period where music and the like was not taken for granted. It also meant a dark and brooding style of music (think Black sabbath and their impact at that time!) had THAt much more impact; heretical atmosphere. Anyway, it seems this type of sound is something done with intent rather than relegated in this day and age so yea, that's my explanation for Heretic.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

h4t3m4ch1n333 and Chaos Axe are cute together
Vooder
Mature Neophyte

Post by Vooder »

Tks. Gonna listening
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

heretic :xx:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

zim wrote:heretic :xx:
djonni greazo
Ancient One

Post by djonni greazo »

lovely album. seriously underappreciated. that said, i think it's THE album that should be "modded". and by that i mean tweaked a bit as per your personal preference. and by "tweak" i don't mean you should mess with the sound (it's great as it is. it's a distinct, alien sound and works wonders with the songs. do not touch it, masturbated crackers), but mix and match the ambient/instrumental interludes to adjust the album's pacing (because that's the album's only serious problem) to your what you like best. personally, i like to keep only Abyssous as an interlude, and i'm still undecided if Place of Many Deaths or Memories of the Past works better as the outro (the rest i just discard :P)

Cleansed in Pestilence, Enshrined by Grace, Beneath the Hollow, Praise the Strength, Stricken Arise are all classic MA
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

I dabbled in rearranging tracklists of some MA albums in the past. It's fun to see what kind of difference it makes to the vibe and/or strength of the album.