Kingdoms Disdained production thread.

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Shredlord
Ancient One

Re: Kingdoms Disdained production thread.

Post by Shredlord »

I listened to some of it via speakers yesterday, and the guitar parts were a bit less discernable compared to with my headphones--not to the point of inaudibility, though. By the way, my cats were sleeping peacefully together in a cat bed, and when "D.E.A.D>" came ripping out (the first song I played) they both leapt straight into the air and ran for cover!

On a side note, I wonder how many fans had to look up "Disdained"? :redneck: "Destroyed" might be a better word based on the lyrics, which all seem to cover the same material. I guess this is an attempt at a thematic album.
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

Shredlord wrote: I guess this is an attempt at a thematic album.
When I spoke to Steve briefly he said that the album carries a certain "opinion". He also reflects this in some of the statements he's made about it. So you observation would be largely correct.
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Shredlord wrote:By the way, my cats were sleeping peacefully together in a cat bed, and when "D.E.A.D>" came ripping out (the first song I played) they both leapt straight into the air and ran for cover!
:cool:
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

At this point I'm fairly indifferent toward the sound of this album, but I wouldn't be surprised if, when asked about it, Erik Rutan says something to effect of "Trey wanted the guitars to have a thick and dirty sound" (Based on that Relolver interview it's not looking like Trey is interested in discussing the technical side of things these days :redneck: ).
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I dunno, if there hadn't been so much David BS, he may have been more inclined to answer tech questions
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

did that punchy hard-on bearer have anything to do with the production on kingdoms? he was on every other album wasn't he?
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

hey guys do you like the production on kingdoms disdained, what do you think of it
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

zim wrote:did that punchy hard-on bearer have anything to do with the production on kingdoms? he was on every other album wasn't he?
Mark Prator was involved (mostly the engineering) on 3 that I am aware of, B, D, F. That dude is legit, the old school guys that really bring that magic. Level match F for example and compare to some modern productions. :idea:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Taurean Mixing wrote:
zim wrote:did that punchy hard-on bearer have anything to do with the production on kingdoms? he was on every other album wasn't he?
Mark Prator was involved (mostly the engineering) on 3 that I am aware of, B, D, F. That dude is legit, the old school guys that really bring that pittsburgh showdown. Level match F for example and compare to some modern productions. :idea:
Juan "Punchy" Gonzales only did Heretic and live sound for Morbid and Nile. Almost all other Morbid records (except for D, that was produced by Bill Kennedy) were engineered by Tom and/or Jim Morris of Morrisound.

I don't have the Kingdoms cd so I can't check credits but wasn't it all done by Rutan?
:santa:
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

iamgoat wrote:
Taurean Mixing wrote:
Mark Prator was involved (mostly the engineering) on 3 that I am aware of, B, D, F. That dude is legit, the old school guys that really bring that pittsburgh showdown. Level match F for example and compare to some modern productions. :idea:
Juan "Punchy" Gonzales only did Heretic and live sound for Morbid and Nile. Almost all other Morbid records (except for D, that was produced by Bill Kennedy) were engineered by Tom and/or Jim Morris of Morrisound.

I don't have the Kingdoms cd so I can't check credits but wasn't it all done by Rutan?
:santa:
That's correct, and Prator worked a lot with Morrissound which is why he was around a lot and also engineering on those albums.

There is no indication that Punchy was on Kingdoms. Erik did it all.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Cool :santa:
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

I've always wondered why Scott Burns never really touched an MA album during his time at Morrisound.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Didn't he work on Altars or Abominations? :huh:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Probably because he was so busy with every other thing being done there
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

iamgoat wrote:Didn't he work on Altars or Abominations? :huh:
Doesn't look like it. Straight from the horse's mouth:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Oh right. My memory failed.
H4T3M4CH1N3
God of Emptiness

Post by H4T3M4CH1N3 »

A good album almost RUINED by Rutan's overproduction. Dude, what the fuck? He should just stick to playing guitar, as a producer he is total disaster.
Wide open 'til you see God, then BRAKE!

Kevin Schwantz #34 - Team Suzuki Lucky Strike
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I think Rutan is an awesome producer. I just don't like him as a mixer. Cannibal Corpse being the one exception. But as a producer he really gets the best out of the musicians. As a mixer he sometimes really hits the mark but many times they sound too full with not much room to breathe and move.
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

iamgoat wrote:I think Rutan is an awesome producer. I just don't like him as a mixer. Cannibal Corpse being the one exception. But as a producer he really gets the best out of the musicians. As a mixer he sometimes really hits the mark but many times they sound too full with not much room to breathe and move.
Agreed. He's a people person and can tap into what they're thinking and vibing. And as a great guitar player, he inherently would know good performance.
It's a common mix-up, "producer" and "mixer."
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

iamgoat wrote:I think Rutan is an awesome producer. I just don't like him as a mixer. Cannibal Corpse being the one exception. But as a producer he really gets the best out of the musicians. As a mixer he sometimes really hits the mark but many times they sound too full with not much room to breathe and move.
:idea:
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

the production is terrible, lets be real, doesn't enhance the pretty good music at all.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i think i prefer it to H production

but that is the worst of all MA so :oldryan:
more metal
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Not bothered with it's production, neutral which is the way it should be :xx: Not an expert though ;)