Interviews in which Trey states the links between albums

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Mutilator
Ancient One

Interviews in which Trey states the links between albums

Post by Mutilator »

In addition to the topics about backwards riffs in the music of Morbid Angel, there could be 2 opinions about this:

1. The lame reason:

Trey lacks creativity / is lazy and that's the reason he 'recycles his own riffs backwards' .

2. The cool reason:

Trey links his albums not only by the alphabet and hint on the album sleeves, but also musically, meaning this is an intended thing, for the fans to discover, hereby giving more depth to the experience.

Which one is real?

I think it is the second reason, and I think to recall him claiming more links between albums in interviews but I forgot which interviews. (I think the 1995 interview in Aardschok mag for instance)

What is your opinion and can you please post the interviews in which he hints the links between the albums?
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Re: Interviews in which Trey states the links between albums

Post by bob_here »

It's absolutely # 2 and here's my perspective on things:

Trey made an impact in the death metal world for a reason. He had a creative vision and unique approach guitar playing and strong, monolithic song writing. First off, MA kills the metal world with the birth of "Altars", right? Well where's the preceeding material there for one to say "it's recycled"? Even if he had previous riffs, it's still his work; creative output. Listen to any great composer and in general, even if backwards melodies were not intentionally implemented, there is still a constant familiar motif about that particular composer's melodies and song writing. In other words, you always know it's that composer. When something is good, who cares ultimately about the variations of it that exist? It gets you moving and feeling something then it is another incarnation of what is good. Ultimately this is all contained in Trey's universe/mind and it's something that's his sapling. It's all him, backwards or not.

It's definitely #2. So not only do we get sick music but cool occult elements that enhance the vibe of the band. I for one love it and have been loving it since I stumbled across it 14 years ago. I still find it awesome that it was done. It's like introducing subtlties that upon the surface one maybe would over look it but further investigation would show is all very connected.

By the way, on a philosophical level, all things repeat and all things unique are still a variation of what is or has been. "Is the final product good?" is the remaining question... at least for me.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Re: Interviews in which Trey states the links between albums

Post by Verbal »

What backwards riffs?

What are you talking about?