At what point did Trey stop giving a fuck?

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
gunt
Neophyte

At what point did Trey stop giving a fuck?

Post by gunt »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gyo-QmRw_o

Imho MA's best performance of Chapel of Ghouls albeit slightly slower probably owing to Pete's back problems.

I can almost pinpoint this as their last performance before shit went downhill as in Rock al Parque 2009, what a fucking trainwreck of a show that was.
vO)))id
Metal God

Re: At what point did Trey stop giving a fuck?

Post by vO)))id »

Pete’s blastbeats are so amazing. Nobody does em like he does. Maybe not the fastest in that performance but his precision, feel, groove... I can’t put my finger on it but when you hear his drumming you just know it’s fucking Pete Sandoval!

About Trey supposedly not giving a fuck... I don’t think he ever stopped caring. He just does whatever he wants to do. I think K is a comeback album that didn’t really work out to its fullest potential. Formulas was a real comeback from everything Trey hated about Domination and where the band was heading to. He’s not the youngest either and somewhere along the years of a career you lose interest, passion or inspiration. I get that. It’s normal for anyone. I don’t know how they would even make another record after Kingdoms.
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

iamgoat wrote:Pete’s blastbeats are so amazing. Nobody does em like he does. Maybe not the fastest in that performance but his precision, feel, groove... I can’t put my finger on it but when you hear his drumming you just know it’s fucking Pete Sandoval!
:idea:

His live performances with MA overflowed with personality and for whatever reason it worked perfectly.

I've got nothing against musicians whose primary draw is that they can nail the technical aspects of their instrument, but there's something special about guys like Trey, Pete, Vigna, Cerrito, Hanneman, etc. who have a truly unique way of doing things that adds something special and can't seem to be replicated.
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

When did he stop giving a fuck? Probably after cooking of the brain with drugs over and over.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

Too busy catching fish :hard-on bearer:

Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

6/7 of the way through the solo in rapture during the fourth show in the formulas tour
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

oddly specific
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

gunt wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gyo-QmRw_o

Imho MA's best performance of Chapel of Ghouls albeit slightly slower probably owing to Pete's back problems.

I can almost pinpoint this as their last performance before shit went downhill as in Rock al Parque 2009, what a fucking trainwreck of a show that was.
The g.uy is 53 years old. How about you play music for decades in a genre that is a niche market, in decline, nobody pays for the music, and where there is no retirement pay.

Just be thankful for his years of service and shut up.
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

I'd say around 2004/2005 when Steve left again and Dave took over.

I explained some years ago on this board that around that time, he had a young girlfriend who dragged him into the house/breakcore/gabberhouse scene.
He totally got into that.

At the same time they started the nostalgia setlist and his leadplaying became simpler.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

morbid board eli wrote:2006
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people