New MA Signature Guitars

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
M.Bison
Ancient One

New MA Signature Guitars

Post by M.Bison »

:redneck: :redneck: :redneck:
...Not what you were expecting though.

https://www.solar-guitars.com/new-dan-v ... re-guitar/

They actually look like quite good guitars. Decent specs, stainless steel frets, dimarzio pickups... Just not sure why Dan has a signature guitar, he's not exactly anyone's idol or a particularly noteworthy player?
shadowalk
Metal God

Re: New MA Signature Guitars

Post by shadowalk »

Ola has been aggressive in getting Solar artist endorsements lately.

Those Solar guitars are actually quite nice. I myself am interested in the 6-string fixed bridge versions. I hear they're very similar to Ibanez RGs.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Great guitars indeed!
Check out his bio on the Solar website. Probably written by himself.... the arrogance.

Vadim has been hoggin all sorts of endorsements left and right, strings, jackson, solar, sweatbands, hand cream whateverthefuck. I could be wrong but it totally looks like he’s abusing his position in this band to get free gear.

It’s great for him that he’s got the gig with MA but he’s not being humble about it at all. I really can’t stand his attitude.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i'm not a fan of vadim but i honestly can't blame him for taking advantage of his position - these tours/album are likely the highlight of his life and it probably won't last super long so he's trying to build a name for himself. i think the solar guitar endorsement has more to do with vadim being in morbid angel and not vadim actually being an 'iconic' guitarist or something. solar has other weird endorsements like random youtube/bedroom guitarists that have nothing more than a social media presence.

it's smart marketing from solar guitars, aggressive like shadow said but smart
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

That's strange...

It reminded me of something from one of the few high profile interviews Trey has done in the past few years:
For his leads, Azagthoth used six different guitars from various companies that he refuses to name. “I am not endorsed by anyone and I buy all my guitars used off eBay,” he says.
https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/tre ... ecent-past

:redneck:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Yes, Trey still does that. He’s not the one being endorsed by Solar.
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

I know he isn't. I meant that in principle it's strange that Vadim has a guitar endorsement while Trey is the one who gets his guitars off eBay. Obviously Trey made the decision to stay out of that side of the business, but on paper it just looks funny.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

lets not forget steve has an endorsement with a bass company, david also had a signature bass too

not sure if erik or thor had endorsements
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

I have nothing against any of them for cashing in on endorsements, but aside from Vadim and possibly Thor they also made what I would consider significant contributions to the genre. Good for him for taking advantage of the situation, but for the reasons I previously described I think it's all pretty funny.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

zim wrote:i'm not a fan of vadim but i honestly can't blame him for taking advantage of his position - these tours/album are likely the highlight of his life and it probably won't last super long so he's trying to build a name for himself. i think the solar guitar endorsement has more to do with vadim being in morbid angel and not vadim actually being an 'iconic' guitarist or something. solar has other weird endorsements like random youtube/bedroom guitarists that have nothing more than a social media presence.

it's smart marketing from solar guitars, aggressive like shadow said but smart
definitely unusual in the music world, but that's the direction most advertising & marketing is headed in and it seems solar is early to catch on in the music sector. it's absolutely huge in the fashion world (& quite a few others of course). the corporate conglomerates like LVMH & kering spend mind-boggling amounts of money getting their products into the hands of 'influencers' which are basically just people with large followings on instagram/youtube/twitter/reddit etc..

ultimately, it doesn't matter if the person being endorsed has actually accomplished anything. if getting your guitar in the hands of a hard-on bearer with 50,000 subs to his tutorial/covers/whatever channel means you make an extra 9-10 sales off that fanbase, it's probably worth it to the company. especially where it seems like all of their 'signature guitars' are really just off-the-rack production models with a minor tweak or two, so it's not like they're investing heavily in short-run custom models or anything.
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

Solar is basically just a new player in town trying to sign whoever it can. I can see them giving ESP/LTD, Ibanez, Jackson, etc. a run for their money in the next few years.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

It's weird, but not uncommon. A lot of big touring bands are walking advertisements for the latest gear gadgets. Animals as leaders and literally any djent or mainstream metal band may well be a touring NAMM show.

Been interacting with Vadim's guitar tech on FB, and the vibe I got is that Trey is set in his ways and reticent to trying brand new trendy gear. He said something along the lines of "he would not use a digital modeling amp even with a gun to his head".
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

Lavabug wrote: He said something along the lines of "he would not use a digital modeling amp even with a gun to his head".
Perhaps Trey hasn't fried his brains after all.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

:idea: Modelers are cool but in a room with a real drumkit and other people using real cabs you just get lost in the mix.

I managed convinced a fellating lover who's been playing in bands forever (mostly with drum machines) to ditch his blackstar modeling amp for anything analog SS or tube, with a real transformer inside and not a tiny switching power supply like on a laptop. The moment a real drummer came in to the band, we both drowned his amp out completely just trying to match volumes, even trying to keep mine as low as possible.

He did play the last gig (my first gig) with my gsp1101 modeler through a rack poweramp and that worked fine though, but the mids with digital stuff always seems like it's lacking when you push the volume. Might work for bass but for guitars you're probably screwed.
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

Shredlord wrote:
Lavabug wrote: He said something along the lines of "he would not use a digital modeling amp even with a gun to his head".
Perhaps Trey hasn't fried his brains after all.
Ha, that's amusing. I wonder if he would ever try some different tunings. It might stir up some creativity after a lot of bland and samey songs. 8-string? There's only so many times you can pound the Bb to Eb for heaviness sake on the 7-string and the 6-string songs all sound like Heretic retreads now (ala Curse the Flesh, Beneath the Hollow, Within thy Enemy etc) imo. But then how would such low tunings sound with Marshall and RAT as opposed to the super mid boosted bottom end sucked out tones most of the bands these days employ.
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

Lavabug wrote::idea: Modelers are cool but in a room with a real drumkit and other people using real cabs you just get lost in the mix.

I managed convinced a fellating lover who's been playing in bands forever (mostly with drum machines) to ditch his blackstar modeling amp for anything analog SS or tube, with a real transformer inside and not a tiny switching power supply like on a laptop. The moment a real drummer came in to the band, we both drowned his amp out completely just trying to match volumes, even trying to keep mine as low as possible.

He did play the last gig (my first gig) with my gsp1101 modeler through a rack poweramp and that worked fine though, but the mids with digital stuff always seems like it's lacking when you push the volume. Might work for bass but for guitars you're probably screwed.
It's hard to beat a good tube amp for thickness and punch. When I played in Psypheria, I used a Bogner Uberschall through two Mesa Rectifier cabs, and the other guitarist had a Peavey 5150 through two Marshall cabs. We could not hear our drummer at all in our rehearsal space (and he hit HARD!), so we had to mic him through a pretty good sized PA. It was hair-blowing loud in there even with our amps only on about "5" or so!
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Well now that was just you and your other guitarist's fault :redneck:

Our drummer has a really nice tama kit which is painfully loud in a small stone-wall room. My ampeg vl1002 was on about 12 o clock on the MV but volume changes wildly with the EQ knobs (which has changed since I swapped the stock ancient preamp tubes out). Almost painful even with earplugs.

Indeed the sag and compression you get out of pushing an el34 really hard is a nice feeling, but I like totally analog SS amps too. The Marshall 3210 I had (all SS) had a pretty much perfect tone at any volume and it was plenty loud, only sold it cause I couldn't tame the radio stations it picked up no matter what I tried. Shame they don't make much pro-level analog SS stuff these days, the few ones that are really good cost as much as an old good used tube amp. Even a Kemper is literally 7x more expensive than my ampeg tube head.
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

Now that you mention it... :redneck: But...but...that was the only way to get the tone! You know, tight, thick, and grinding.