Morbid Angel live at Town Ballroom on March 6, 2019

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
zim
Zim(a)

Morbid Angel live at Town Ballroom on March 6, 2019

Post by zim »

much better show/performance by trey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwx0UlaTnlo
User
Metal God

Re: Morbid Angel live at Town Ballroom on March 6, 2019

Post by User »

:thingy:
more metal
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

I don't watch a whole lot of live shows on youtube, but aside from this I can't think of any even remotely recent ones where he also plays the solos coherently and more or less how they were originally written.

I completely understand a desire to mix things up on a nightly basis with the solos to satisfy a creative drive, but as far as I can tell he was almost always just playing random notes in a very sloppy way for most of them. Not "pure acid" but more like "I hope this hard-on bearer has a ride home" caliber messiness.

At any rate it's a relief to see that he's still more than capable of doing his music justice live on stage.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

:huh: trey's solos have always been pretty erratic and atonal, even on the grindcrusher footage from 89 they're completely wacky
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

Go to 39:47 thereabouts, the last break in Prayer of Hatred, listen to his tremelo pick. That's not the fierce and "trembling" trem picking I remember historically from him.
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

zim wrote::huh: trey's solos have always been pretty erratic and atonal, even on the grindcrusher footage from 89 they're completely wacky
Yeah that's obvious, but there's a difference between erratic, atonal, adventurous, etc. and downright lackluster, flimsy sounding and sloppy.
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

Paste Human wrote:
zim wrote::huh: trey's solos have always been pretty erratic and atonal, even on the grindcrusher footage from 89 they're completely wacky
Yeah that's obvious, but there's a difference between erratic, atonal, adventurous, etc. and downright lackluster, flimsy sounding and sloppy.
Definitely there is a difference. it's like a slayer chaotic solo vs. trey classic chaotic solo = noise vs. interesting and memorable soundscape.
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

I like their choice of songs (demo Unholy blasphemies :bulb: ) I'm ready for a european tour :idea:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i'm happy with the current set list, i only wish world of shit was on it tho