MABB's Choice: Top MA Albums

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.

?

A
10%
B
10%
C
27%
D
No votes
E
No votes
F
30%
G
20%
H
3%
I
No votes

Total votes: 30
TamPron
Metal God

Re: MABB's Choice: Top MA Albums

Post by TamPron »

i enjoy blue chocolate fuck :idea:
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="TAM TAM"]i enjoy blue chocolate fuck :idea:[/quote]

You would, you anorexic fatty
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

[quote name="Pentelesh"]
[quote name="FZRJunkie"]whereupon FZRJunkie goes against the grain, thereby pissing everyone off AND self-ostracizing, both simultaneously AND at the same time

1 - D for Domination; that's right that's what I fuckin said.

2 - G

3 - F

Though most people aren't really explaining why they like certain of MA's studio joints better, usually being A and C here and abroad, I believe that the fan faves here and elsewhere are A and C for the following reasons:

a.) A and C have that old school, black production

b.) A and C are the ones that the potentially opining fan heard first in life

c.) A and C have the more "evil" lyrics

Not only do I agree with this trident as basis for preference, the three bases for most fans liking the older albums, it is the same triumvirate of reason that causes me to prefer the newer albums. I mean, in addition to my belief that the band output has generally gotten better, a.) I prefer the newer production stylings and mixes, b.) I got into more recent MA albums first (don't let that fool you, kids. I'm in my 40s), and c.) I prefer the pseudo-Lovecraftian lyrics to the infant-entrails variety. Now, if people prefer the older, blacker, or exposed-to-first earlier joints that's cool, too, I just wish folks would say why--I mean, as long as we're typing crap about shit we dig onto the stupid interwebs, gimme something to read already. Don't just say, "Duh, I like this one. Oh and that one, too." Cuz, m'kay, that's nice, but FUCK.

Domination was the rift, the shift, the Big Change for most fans -- agreed? Yes, it's where MA "sold out", tried to be "more popular", etc. Or, perhaps they tried to be ... "better".

Who cares. For me, Domination was the album in the band's progression where the riffs took on a weirdness contrapuntal to the drumming resulting in polyrhythms that begat the same sort of strange, sonic helicopter collisions we now take for granted when we hear them on Gojira albums, or recent Nile efforts, you feel me? And, Trey's lead work began channeling Van Halen in a more toneful and freestyle way on this album....(And later, other of Trey's influences began materializing, oscillating into reality through Trey's JCM 900s and onto F, G, H: Marino, Trower, Hendrix.)

And what I liked about D continued to blossom with F, G, H. The groove and leads on the G album barely nudge past F, taking 2nd by a nose as MA's most cohesive joint, IMO currently, but oh how I love that Invocation Of The Continual One! And speaking of H, howz bout that hypnotic, "is my CD skipping?" mini-apocalypse of a sonic maelstrom breakdown thing that occurs in the middle of Stricken Arise, which, if I've done my maths right, equals exactly 7 purple fuck-tonnes of concentrated, 100% holy fuck extract?

Huh?[/quote]

[quote name="FZRJunkie"]I'm listening to Gateways for the 3rd time in a row tonight.

I realize I'm new and I just wrote a small book a few posts back and I'd hate to undo any of that glory by changing any of my grand declarations so soon but fuckin Gateways to fuckin Annihilation just clicked into position as probably my favorite metal album. Out of all metal, I'm saying. You know, ever. Usurping all the classics and old favorites. Undercutting past apogees. Flattening recent pinnacles. If you knew me you'd know what a holy shitter of an are-you-fuckin-shitting-me???? statement that really is for me to be saying all willy-nilly.

The first time I listened to it tonight, it was all lights out in my cabin in the woods, in the sweet spot at the vertex of each speaker's focus, looking up through a 22-foot ceiling's skylight at the stars around some big pines moving in the wind.

One realization during this listen was the very curious indeed manner of separating Parts 1 and 2 of the same escalating piece of rock and roll, being tracks 4 and 6, with a much faster track 5 placed in between; Parts 1 and 2 are called "He Who Sleeps", and "At One with Nothing". Part 2 does exactly what I want Part 1 to start doing around the time it abruptly ends, leaving me hanging. The main riff from Part 1 is used in a higher gear by Part 2 as soon as it starts. The 2 tracks share themes, and they share the main riff, and were it not for their being disconnected by the faster and much different-sounding "To the Victor the Spoils" tracks 4 and 6 could be connected and combined into a single, epic doom-groover. Weird that they did that. I'll have to delve deeper into the sonics (or perhaps only the lyrics) of the dividing track "To the Victor the Spoils" to detect if it really is Part 2 of a three-fold dealy-bob.

Another realization is that "I" is way more of a badass piece of rockin metal than I had quite comprehended metal could be only moments previous, in such a trippy way, too. I would be a good "I" album title, matter of additional point.

Even the fact that the swamp frogs from the intro can be heard throughout "Summoning Redemption" was an artistic choice that yields a response and a throwing of the horns from this alert listener as I up and reverse-flip from my cushiony couch surfaces only to return there upside-down and all willy-nilly as we move into the 3rd pummeling of "Ageless, Still I Am" this good eve.

Until next time, keep yer stick on the ice.[/quote]

Good posts, I hope that you don't happen to be a politician?[/quote]

What in the fuck is that wall of text trying to convey? I don't understand this junkie.
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

I love ALL albums! My top 3 would look like this:

Covenant

Altars of Madness

Formulas Fatal to the Flesh
14th4th

Post by 14th4th »

Even tough BATS was my first CD of MA, AoM defeated BATS for me.
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

[quote name="ManOfSteel"]
[quote name="Pentelesh"]
[quote name="FZRJunkie"]whereupon FZRJunkie goes against the grain, thereby pissing everyone off AND self-ostracizing, both simultaneously AND at the same time

1 - D for Domination; that's right that's what I fuckin said.

2 - G

3 - F

Though most people aren't really explaining why they like certain of MA's studio joints better, usually being A and C here and abroad, I believe that the fan faves here and elsewhere are A and C for the following reasons:

a.) A and C have that old school, black production

b.) A and C are the ones that the potentially opining fan heard first in life

c.) A and C have the more "evil" lyrics

Not only do I agree with this trident as basis for preference, the three bases for most fans liking the older albums, it is the same triumvirate of reason that causes me to prefer the newer albums. I mean, in addition to my belief that the band output has generally gotten better, a.) I prefer the newer production stylings and mixes, b.) I got into more recent MA albums first (don't let that fool you, kids. I'm in my 40s), and c.) I prefer the pseudo-Lovecraftian lyrics to the infant-entrails variety. Now, if people prefer the older, blacker, or exposed-to-first earlier joints that's cool, too, I just wish folks would say why--I mean, as long as we're typing crap about shit we dig onto the stupid interwebs, gimme something to read already. Don't just say, "Duh, I like this one. Oh and that one, too." Cuz, m'kay, that's nice, but FUCK.

Domination was the rift, the shift, the Big Change for most fans -- agreed? Yes, it's where MA "sold out", tried to be "more popular", etc. Or, perhaps they tried to be ... "better".

Who cares. For me, Domination was the album in the band's progression where the riffs took on a weirdness contrapuntal to the drumming resulting in polyrhythms that begat the same sort of strange, sonic helicopter collisions we now take for granted when we hear them on Gojira albums, or recent Nile efforts, you feel me? And, Trey's lead work began channeling Van Halen in a more toneful and freestyle way on this album....(And later, other of Trey's influences began materializing, oscillating into reality through Trey's JCM 900s and onto F, G, H: Marino, Trower, Hendrix.)

And what I liked about D continued to blossom with F, G, H. The groove and leads on the G album barely nudge past F, taking 2nd by a nose as MA's most cohesive joint, IMO currently, but oh how I love that Invocation Of The Continual One! And speaking of H, howz bout that hypnotic, "is my CD skipping?" mini-apocalypse of a sonic maelstrom breakdown thing that occurs in the middle of Stricken Arise, which, if I've done my maths right, equals exactly 7 purple fuck-tonnes of concentrated, 100% holy fuck extract?

Huh?[/quote]

[quote name="FZRJunkie"]I'm listening to Gateways for the 3rd time in a row tonight.

I realize I'm new and I just wrote a small book a few posts back and I'd hate to undo any of that glory by changing any of my grand declarations so soon but fuckin Gateways to fuckin Annihilation just clicked into position as probably my favorite metal album. Out of all metal, I'm saying. You know, ever. Usurping all the classics and old favorites. Undercutting past apogees. Flattening recent pinnacles. If you knew me you'd know what a holy shitter of an are-you-fuckin-shitting-me???? statement that really is for me to be saying all willy-nilly.

The first time I listened to it tonight, it was all lights out in my cabin in the woods, in the sweet spot at the vertex of each speaker's focus, looking up through a 22-foot ceiling's skylight at the stars around some big pines moving in the wind.

One realization during this listen was the very curious indeed manner of separating Parts 1 and 2 of the same escalating piece of rock and roll, being tracks 4 and 6, with a much faster track 5 placed in between; Parts 1 and 2 are called "He Who Sleeps", and "At One with Nothing". Part 2 does exactly what I want Part 1 to start doing around the time it abruptly ends, leaving me hanging. The main riff from Part 1 is used in a higher gear by Part 2 as soon as it starts. The 2 tracks share themes, and they share the main riff, and were it not for their being disconnected by the faster and much different-sounding "To the Victor the Spoils" tracks 4 and 6 could be connected and combined into a single, epic doom-groover. Weird that they did that. I'll have to delve deeper into the sonics (or perhaps only the lyrics) of the dividing track "To the Victor the Spoils" to detect if it really is Part 2 of a three-fold dealy-bob.

Another realization is that "I" is way more of a badass piece of rockin metal than I had quite comprehended metal could be only moments previous, in such a trippy way, too. I would be a good "I" album title, matter of additional point.

Even the fact that the swamp frogs from the intro can be heard throughout "Summoning Redemption" was an artistic choice that yields a response and a throwing of the horns from this alert listener as I up and reverse-flip from my cushiony couch surfaces only to return there upside-down and all willy-nilly as we move into the 3rd pummeling of "Ageless, Still I Am" this good eve.

Until next time, keep yer stick on the ice.[/quote]

Good posts, I hope that you don't happen to be a politician?[/quote]

What in the fuck is that wall of text trying to convey? I don't understand this junkie.[/quote]

Thta's because you're fat
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

thetruedrdeath
Neophyte

Post by thetruedrdeath »

my favorite albums are the first four.

i don´t want to name one cause every of these have a special impact for me. but i think covenant is the most important for me.
Telal_adp
Neophyte

Post by Telal_adp »

I chose 3 random of the ABCD. I clearly remember how much I looking forward to FFF coming out. And I was so dissapointed when it came out. Somehow it just seemed so standard death metal, especially taken the progression from C and D into consideration. Even Hellspawn seemed like a watered down version of the AOD version. The vocals somewhat bland and too many lyrics for too short songs, Steve did a better job vocally on both G and H. But still I've come to love that album and it's ferocity.

Bats is probably my favourite album, it's the most complete album in my opinion. The flow of songs is just perfect. The atmosphere of ancient evil is so over present all the way - all the artwork fits this perfectly. Altars feels like it's mostly about speed, a young band who wants to be the fastest, most evil and perfect, just compare the AOM version of Chapel of Ghouls to the AOD version, and the AOM version is blown away.

Covenant has my all time favourite production, this is how death metal should sound, Pain Divine just floors me everytime, the intensity is captured perfectly. And I love how out of place Angel Of Disease sounds, how much of the old 80's vibe they put into it.

Domination has a special place in my heart, reminds me of the good old days - and my best concert ever Moonspell/Immortal/Morbid Angel. Gateways is good, but not up to standard for a band like Morbid Angel, Secured Limitations is an instant classic - was hoping to see Trey doing the vocals live.

Heretic is great, but shouldn't it have been and EP instead?? I feel there's too much filler, which doesen't do anything for the atmosphere of the album. The regular songs are great, but I have to chime in on chorus of not liking the production on that album. Damn that was some rant.

On a side note, I read an interview in a old magazine, where David said, that most songs of Bats where recorded more speeds, and they chose what they felt suited the songs best. Anybody seen or heard them?? Any leaks?? I would absolutely love to hear those recordings.
Anomander

Post by Anomander »

my earlier choices been different, old aera was more up then. but since vincent is back my love got more and more to the newers. so...

B for my all time favorite music style, F for genius, G for tucker
anubis211
Neophyte

Post by anubis211 »

1.Formulas

2.Covenant

3.Gateways

I Just love Formulas ............ It's fuckin masterpiece ! :waa:
Desoppus

Post by Desoppus »

My favorites in order:

Altars of Madness

Blessed Are the Sick

Covenant

Altars is definitely masterpiece and one of my alltime favorite albums. This album opened the doors to deeper into the mysterious world of music.

However, all MA albums are awesome.
Cybermetatron

Post by Cybermetatron »

1. Formulas fatal to the flesh

2. Blessed are the sick

3. Altars of madness

And I'd like to add entangled in chaos ! One of the best death-metal live albums in my opinion.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

don't think i ever answered properly, but i think at this point i'd commit to, in order: A/B F
Implosions
Neophyte

Post by Implosions »

Formulas and Heretic.
lavaBorn

Post by lavaBorn »

for me, every album has its own specialty. Trey is an amazing composer.
Jackass in the will of god
zambon
God of Emptiness

Post by zambon »

F, G, C

in that order
Praise of Death
Neophyte

Post by Praise of Death »

[quote name="Verbal"]I voted in this a while ago, but don't think I revealed my choices.

Well, no longer shall ye be in suspense!

Altars Of Madness

Covenant

Yea, I know, that's two albums and the poll asked for three.

Counting is hard sometimes.[/quote]

+

Abominations.... :) :redneck:
Those Insane Gods

Post by Those Insane Gods »

I love every Morbid Angel album for being what they are equally. So Heretic gets my vote for being the most underrated. :shake:
http://wheretheslimelives.blogspot.com/ - blog dedicated to the angel of morbidity
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Post by Hallucinating dead »

you're voting it for being underratted? :frown:
..For the freedoms and prisons are in the mind..
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Post by Hallucinating dead »

when it comes to morbid angel, I dont care about words or other human limitations, which are even placed on music. For me Morbid angel is what music has to be, its not just metal, I consider it the most different form of music. What important is the flow. Shaping my thoughs, when I listens to morbid angel i feel like i have direct connection with the composer(azagthoth), such a great way of making music which takes me to to another world and i dont care of anything, what other calling it. It gave me strength, made me think i that i am no small, my thoughts are most superior. So it does not matter how many other humans have listened it. It matter what part of feelings in the music are shaping my belief.
..For the freedoms and prisons are in the mind..
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

still A, C, and G
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
^_____________^
Ancient One
Location: I'm Going To Pull Your Endocrine System Out Of Your Body

Post by ^_____________^ »

Gateways is so boring. It doesn't have any knock your fucking teeth out tracks and it doesn't help that it's in between F and H, two of the greatest Morbid Angel albums ever. I don't like Dave's vocals for the most part, but I love the operatic stuff he does on God of Emptiness. He had a great harsh style on A, but on B, C, and D it's not the same. On A he sounds like a snake slithering through the the music, hissing out lyrics in between the guitar, drum, and bass lines. I love Mike Browning's vocals on Abominations of Desolation, he's my favorite Morbid Angel vocalist hands down.

Heretic and Formulas are the Best Steve albums. Domination and Gateways worst albums, Gateways being the worst one. Domination is Better than Gateways for Where the Slime live, I fucking love that song and it's got a different vocal sound than the rest of the album. The rest of the vocals on that album are total shit. Blessed has an annoying click drum sound, Covenant has a nice organic sound and it has he fucking awesome God of Emptiness. Altars is perfect, hands down, nothing bad about that album at all.

F

A

H

AOD

C

B

G
Ancient One

To refer a Morbid Angel album to the word "Worst" does not belong at the MABB forums.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

you struggled with maths, didnt you
Desoppus

Post by Desoppus »

Currently, my list looks like this...

A/B

F

C

H/G

D

Altars of Madness was my all time favorite album for a long time, but nowdays I´m not sure wich one is better A or B.

Domination had allways been my least favorite album. I don´t have any problems with David´s lyrics, but album sounds relatively weak (except for the solos) and song material isn´t good enought - compared to other albums. On general level it´s good and I give 4/5 stars for it
^_____________^
Ancient One

Father, forgive me not, for I have sinned.
God of Perverse
Neophyte

Post by God of Perverse »

• Covenant / Domination
  • Blessed are the Sick
  • Altars of Madness
Those Insane Gods

ILLUD DIVINUM INSANUS
http://wheretheslimelives.blogspot.com/ - blog dedicated to the angel of morbidity
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Appropriate colour.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
^_____________^
Ancient One

[quote name="pulsar"]Appropriate colour.[/quote]
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

:lol: :oldryan:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

Post by RitesOfPossession »

Will Illud be added to the poll or does it not count as a Morbid Angel album? Maybe something could be set up whereby someone voting for Illud gets automatically banned.
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

[quote name="DarkSurgeon"]Will Illud be added to the poll or does it not count as a Morbid Angel album? Maybe something could be set up whereby someone voting for Illud gets automatically banned.[/quote]

:lol:
Ancient One

FORMULAS FATAL TO THE FLESH
Zhongma
Neophyte

Post by Zhongma »

Hello,

Long time fan and long time lurker here. Been avidly following the news and discussion about I. Thought I'd finally get around to posting.

Top three albums for me-

F

C

H

Yes H. Great album.

F is a masterpiece. The solo and section directly after the solo in *Chambers of Dis* are the epitome of death metal to me. Such speed and power.

FIrst post, I hope to contribute more in the future. Thanks.
Strike of twelve, raise the dead

The chapel comes under attack
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Welcome to the bard!
Zhongma
Neophyte

Post by Zhongma »

Thank you!
Strike of twelve, raise the dead

The chapel comes under attack
Those Insane Gods

Wise choice to pick F as your favorite. You will be rewarded. :gay:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:flamebait:
;,,;
Desoppus

Post by Desoppus »

[quote name="Zhongma"]The solo and section directly after the solo in *Chambers of Dis* are the epitome of death metal to me. Such speed and power.[/quote]

Agreed, my favorite solo on that album and ofcourse riff under it is killer :xx: I think there is little black metal vibe on that part.
Metal_Sucks
Neophyte

Post by Metal_Sucks »

My 3 votes went to :

-Domination

-Altars

-Blessed
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

Top three are:

- Gateways

- Alters

- Heretic

The rest:

- Formulas and covenant joint 4th place

- Domination

- Blessed

I actually wrote a huge post detailing my opinions on all the albums but I found I wasn't logged in when I went to submit for some reason. Even though I was to begin with. Logged myself in and my post was erased. So I'm a little pissed right now but there's my list anyway.
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

F :greenie:
Those Insane Gods

[quote name="So Callous"]Top three are:

- Gateways

- Alters

- Heretic

The rest:

- Formulas and covenant joint 4th place

- Domination

- Blessed

I actually wrote a huge post detailing my opinions on all the albums but I found I wasn't logged in when I went to submit for some reason. Even though I was to begin with. Logged myself in and my post was erased. So I'm a little pissed right now but there's my list anyway.[/quote]

That fucking sucks. Very interesting choices. It would be really cool if you could find the energy to share your thoughts on each album. :xx:
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

I gotta feel the motivation to write it again and know that it'll be as good as it was. I'll get back to this soon or in a few days time
^_____________^
Ancient One

My updated choices are:

F

H

A

B

G

C

D

I think F & H might be tied for my favorite. Those albums have a really special quality to them.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

[quote name="Spirits of the Deep Waters"]To refer a Morbid Angel album to the word "Worst" does not belong at the MABB forums.[/quote]

*except for I
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Phantoon
Ancient One

Post by Phantoon »

Ok, finally written my take on the albums:

First of all I will say I'm quite a late starter into the band. Got into them roughly 4 years ago starting out with buying Alters, then checking around You-tube and discovered the rest of their discography and buying Gateways 2nd. Then It was Blessed, Formulas, Covenant, Domination and Heretic. I'm rating them on how long they keep my attention from start to finish, but also rating them on that inspiring quality. Ideas that sound good to me and what I'd like to hear more of. This is all my opinion though of course and is therefore biased on my own preferences in what I look for in music.

Altars: There's not much that needs to be said about this album that hasn't already been said. What can I say, it's just incredibly consistent, really heavy and chaotic vibe (raw production aids this aspect), every song is virtually a classic with each having very creative sections contained within, riffs that hit you subconsciously, like you've heard that before but could never guess where. Which is also a trait that all MA albums have for me to varying degrees. Just a great, angry, menacing, creative youthful energy and it is of course the album that got me into the band. Nuff said ! 2nd place.

Blessed: After hearing Gateways I came in expecting something similar because I'd heard G was inspired by this album by some reviewers. I have to say this album disappointed me the most. I think it's mostly the production which I can't stand. It's too warm. Guitars are fairly quiet, scratching away rythms in the background some of the time. It just lacks punch and ultimately makes it the least heavy MA album by quite some margin. The snare drum sounds good but during the blasts it feels like it takes way too much center stage. The songs feel a little too short and underdeveloped. I sort of listen up to the track Doomsday celebration and expect the album to up the ante afterwards and it just never does for me. There's of course the groovy oldies redone later on but they just become irritating quite quickly, despite the catchy lyrics. Overall though the lyrics on this album are pretty catchy. All in all I can imagine me enjoying this album a lot more had I been around the time it was released and witnessed it's hype. Last place for this. I'm sorry :eyes:

Covenant: At first a little disappointed. I found it like a more stale version of Alters which I think is this albums best comparison. While it still does sound a bit bland it has grown on me over time. I find that it remains consistent up till Angel of disease. While it's a good song I think it's placement on the album is a bit wrong. I think it should have been the last track because the ending of the song has that 'album closer' feel to it. As it stands it feels out of place. In fact some of the track listings as a whole on this record could/should have been altered. I actually have my own preferred track list that I made up that does the album more justice imo. Anyway this album contains some of MA best solos I think. Blood on my hands is my favourite song. The record has a great dark atmosphere helped by the production which sits neatly between raw and clean. I like it a lot. It would sit further up my list but the other top three just edge in front of it for a better listening experience. 4th place

Domination: I read a few reviews first that said this album sounds like MA are just going through the motions, and I tend to agree. While it just about keeps my attention up till Ceaser's palace, the Blessed are sick type riffs ruin it for me. From there till the end of the album it's just like listening to a different album. Not very inspiring. The experience was a bit underwhelming compared to their other releases. I like the sludgy sound to the album, but not the drum sound. I prefer the album to Blessed but it still doesn't sit very well with me. Rather commercial sounding. I don't really like Where the slime live, I think it should have been shorter. There are some great feeling solos but that's about all for me. It just lacks a certain spiritual energy their other albums possess. Dominate and this means war are good songs though. 5th place

Formulas: Undoubtedly some of their most beastly riffs and solos on this record which make it a winner from the get go. Chambers of Dis needs a special mention for probably being the most fiery song they have done. The album has an Alters type energy although not quite matching that ferocity. But making up for it with a more streamlined, blast beat ridden joyride through a fantasy land of ancient entities. This fantasy inspired quality almost feels accidental. A genuinely special quality and not gimmicky in the slightest. I like the production and everything sounds fucking great. Although a bit cluttered together in the fast parts. Particularly the first song Heaving earth but luckily I can tolerate that and actually I like the raw vibe it gives off. A sort of reckless abandonment. However I feel like it gets repetitive in the middle somewhere. I think specifically Umulamahri. Strangely I love this song on it's own. Riffs and solos. It's probably something to do with the song before actually, Disturbance in the great slumber. It lingers on for quite some time building a great atmosphere and then Umulamahri comes in sounding really great also but just teeters on sounding a little tired. Then the rest of the album proceeds without changing too much. While I like the two oldies that were redone: Hellspawn and Covenant of death on their own, their riffs sound awfully similar and placed next to each other feels a bit sloppy. Then you have Invocation: Again a great song on it's own but tends to feel like a collection of awesome riffs instead of an actual song. It's hard to put my finger on and I don't mean to slag this song off at all. It really feels monumentally good when your in the right mood. This is another album where I have a preferred track list. I'd love for it to make the top 3 and in some scenarios I find I only want to listen to it and nothing else. But in terms of consistency there are other albums for me that beat it. 4th place.

Gateways: Buying this album second and having a fondness for big crunchy sounds it's little wonder that this album sits at the top of my list. But it doesn't just end there for me. The giant cosmic vibe, greatly enhanced by the artwork really grabs my attention. Summoning redemption is a most massive sounding song. Solos and all and fucking groovy. Ageless still I am feels a bit arduous at times as it's another long, slow song already after the first behemoth. But on He who sleeps, while being a another slow song, is shorter but has an impenetrable atmosphere. I love the songwriting here. It sounds as if it wants to break out into an apocalypse near the end but just remains in control and finishes. From there the album is fucking solid till the end. Every song very different from the last while also making coherent sense. The way At one with nothing (incredible song) ends to the Opening of the gates intro is one of my greatest metal moments. The latter has got to be one of the finest extreme metal songs. Ridiculously simple structured but utterly fruital, aided by that chunky production. If you listen to this album with head or earphones loud enough you can feel the weight like it's suffocating you. There's was always something to pick apart from this album from every listen. I think the simple song structure and all the instruments laid out bare helps with this aspect. "I" is the cosmic vibe fully realized on this late track and God of the forsaken is the apocalypse that He who sleeps and Opening of the gates threatened to become, but we get saved from complete annihilation by Erik Rutans solo. Another beautiful moment on this album of which they are plentiful. I think album artwork is a largely ignored aspect to the appreciation of any album. If a band has what I deem the wrong artwork for the music it weakens the listening experience. If this happens I try to listen to the music in isolation but I can't get the artwork out of my head. So for me it's important and this album doesn't fail on this point at all. It's totally in line with what I'm listening to. 1st place album.

Heretic: I came in prepared. Read a lot of the shtick this album received. Checked it out on You-tube and was initially unimpressed but still a little curious as to how the full CD would sound from start to finish. I bought the album. A few listens in and nothing special happened. A few plays later, it clicked !. This album is very solid. Gone is the crunchy sound but the raw cardboard sound actually gives it an outer dimensional atmosphere after a while. It's almost begging for you to hate it but I just can't. There's a lot of wonderfully arranged music here. Riffs are very satisfying to listen to. The fuzziness of them giving the sense of speed in the picking. I actually love the drum sound on this album. It initially sounds rough but you come to realize that it is in fact so clear. Listen with headphones and try to hear everything Pete is doing. The drumming is incredibly catchy on this record and all the fills sound appropriate. It also has catchy lyrics and Steve tucker bursts out some lines with great force which you can't help but make a gurning face to. All the songs gel together really well. Beneath the hollow can sound a bit stale for my taste after the brutally groovy Enshrined by grace. But then Curse the flesh comes in with it's twisted swinging merry go round riffs behind blast beats while Steve delivers those anguished intro lyrics . From there the song falls into an almost pop sensibility which is strangely very likable. Later on past the fantastic Praise the strength you have stricken arise with it's furious drumming and banshee vocals, then the song dives into those mesmerizing repetitious parts which take you by surprise. I love the sense of abandonment in the song writing here and it really payed off from straying a little off what they usually do. It has a special place for me those parts do. Afterward the two instrumentals actually feel really welcomed and do keep me compelled throughout. I love the contrast of vibes from both of them, Abyssous being the "we love you really" after having tasted a little bit of hell with Place of many deaths. God of our own divinity and and Within thy enemy close the album really well. The last instrumentals are for the most part likable. Particularly Victorious march of reign the conqueror. But lets not forget Drum check. Overall a very solid album. It would be 2nd place but I couldn't ignore the consistency of Alters so it's going 3rd place.

As you can see I have a bigger preference for their later albums because I think they are the natural steps in the right direction and I have a fondness for the more extreme side of MA generally. In terms of ideas Gateways and Heretic are like rough diamonds to me. It's good to see bands like Mithras doing there take on it.
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

Post by RitesOfPossession »

Excellent post! Its good to see some reasoning behind your choices rather than just a list.