What guitars is this?

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

What guitars is this?

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

The one to the right and the one the left. Is it a RG550 and a RG7620?

vO)))id
Metal God

Re: What guitars is this?

Post by vO)))id »

left is an orange RG550, the right black/greyish one is an RG 7 string.

The 7 string with the green pickguard is his old Universe. Has a mirror pickguard nowadays, and green pickups again.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

Yes and yes
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Why the lavalamp in the middle? :redneck:
Anjel
Ancient One

Post by Anjel »

Because it looks COOL. :grim:
Ancient One

[quote name="Void"]left is an orange RG550, the right black/greyish one is an RG 7 string.

The 7 string with the green pickguard is his old Universe. Has a mirror pickguard nowadays, and green pickups again.[/quote]

I've always been wondering about that Universe. It must be a UV7BK with changed pickguard/pickups? It's like 60% modded. I've never seen it in it's original look.
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

[quote name="Mutilator"]Why the lavalamp in the middle? :redneck:[/quote]

Anything involving Trey and lava should not be questioned. :shake:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="Mutilator"]Why the lavalamp in the middle? :redneck:[/quote]

-L

--o

---v

----e

-----O

------f

-------L

--------a

---------v

----------a
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Anjel
Ancient One

Post by Anjel »

L

-OF

LAVA

-----E

zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

all variations accepted :judge:
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Maze"]
[quote name="Void"]left is an orange RG550, the right black/greyish one is an RG 7 string.

The 7 string with the green pickguard is his old Universe. Has a mirror pickguard nowadays, and green pickups again.[/quote]

I've always been wondering about that Universe. It must be a UV7BK with changed pickguard/pickups? It's like 60% modded. I've never seen it in it's original look.[/quote]

On the covenant tour (and in the god of emptiness clip) it was not modded. Then he changed one of the knobs to a black one and after that he changed the pickguard, added switches and colored the bar. Later he swapped the pups. (cannot blame him.. the first Blaze pups were kinda badly wound..)
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="uni777"]
[quote name="Maze"]

I've always been wondering about that Universe. It must be a UV7BK with changed pickguard/pickups? It's like 60% modded. I've never seen it in it's original look.[/quote]

On the covenant tour (and in the god of emptiness clip) it was not modded. Then he changed one of the knobs to a black one and after that he changed the pickguard, added switches and colored the bar. Later he swapped the pups. (cannot blame him.. the first Blaze pups were kinda badly wound..)[/quote]

during the Domination era he had it almost original still... then from Formulas - H he had it like in the pic.
painfulloss
Neophyte

Post by painfulloss »

I basically own the same model RG550 in the "Pylon" color, just the headstock on mine is the same Orange-y color as the body, not black like Trey's or Mike Amott's classic Carcass one. I love that guitar, the maple neck is all worn & discolored from years of playing, sweat, recording, shows. In the near future I wanna get it fixed up: new bridge, new frets, etc. The pickups are friggin' hot and very crunchy through a good amp. It's just made to play heavy & fast riffs and solos!

Opening for Martyr in 2002

The RG550 and my Peavey HP Signature USA Custom from 2005.

Ancient One

Treys using it for the "Where the slime lives"-solo, and a whole bunch of other solos. From "angemorbide.free.fre":

Favorite instrument? : One of my fave guitars is my orange Ibanez Strat. I bought it used for $250 and then changed the pickups. It has an awesome maple fretboard that was nicely worn in when I bought it. I have toured with it some and used it for many of my solos on records from "Domination" on. I used it for the "Where the Slime Live" solo.

Can also be seen here :santa:

[youtube]t16fO-qxD78[/youtube]

Nice guitar for sure, I'm feeling pretty hot on getting one of these.
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Hey...it´s PAINFULLOSS! :thingy:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="painfulloss"]I basically own the same model RG550 in the "Pylon" color, just the headstock on mine is the same Orange-y color as the body, not black like Trey's or Mike Amott's classic Carcass one. I love that guitar, the maple neck is all worn & discolored from years of playing, sweat, recording, shows. In the near future I wanna get it fixed up: new bridge, new frets, etc. The pickups are friggin' hot and very crunchy through a good amp. It's just made to play heavy & fast riffs and solos![/quote]

welcome back, sir :thingy:

the RG5xx series is a thing of beauty. i've long extolled the virtues of the 570 'round these parts, hands down my favorite guitar ever (well, aside from the shaky build quality on mine)
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Void"]
[quote name="uni777"]
[quote name="Maze"]

On the covenant tour (and in the god of emptiness clip) it was not modded. Then he changed one of the knobs to a black one and after that he changed the pickguard, added switches and colored the bar. Later he swapped the pups. (cannot blame him.. the first Blaze pups were kinda badly wound..)[/quote]

during the Domination era he had it almost original still... then from Formulas - H he had it like in the pic.[/quote]

Not entirely. At first he had the green pups still in there. Then the newer black pups. There are also some rumours he is using the Blaze Custom now. Which sound very different from a Blaze.

And now he has completely swapped all parts between the newer UV777BK and the older UV7BK.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Maze"]Treys using it for the "Where the slime lives"-solo, and a whole bunch of other solos. From "angemorbide.free.fre":

Favorite instrument? : One of my fave guitars is my orange Ibanez Strat. I bought it used for $250 and then changed the pickups. It has an awesome maple fretboard that was nicely worn in when I bought it. I have toured with it some and used it for many of my solos on records from "Domination" on. I used it for the "Where the Slime Live" solo.

Nice guitar for sure, I'm feeling pretty hot on getting one of these.[/quote]

Actually that cuote is from the bio on the gateways CD. It has player profiles on all members.
Ancient One

[quote name="uni777"]
[quote name="Void"]
[quote name="uni777"]
[quote name="Maze"]

during the Domination era he had it almost original still... then from Formulas - H he had it like in the pic.[/quote]

Not entirely. At first he had the green pups still in there. Then the newer black pups. There are also some rumours he is using the Blaze Custom now. Which sound very different from a Blaze.

And now he has completely swapped all parts between the newer UV777BK and the older UV7BK.[/quote]

In it's original shape, in 1996

changed pickguard and humbuck, coloured tremoloarm

And then black pickups and black arm

Ancient One

Eric testing it out!

Anjel
Ancient One

Post by Anjel »

Woah, I've never seen that picture. :interessant:
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Maze"]

Image[/quote]

Eh.. no :redneck: There is a black and green knob there and a black toggle tip. Originally it was all green.
Ancient One

[quote name="uni777"]
[quote name="Maze"]

Image[/quote]

Eh.. no :redneck: There is a black and green knob there and a black toggle tip. Originally it was all green.[/quote]

Nerd-eye sets in :grin:
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Jesus fucking christ: you guitar people know your details :grim:

Can you also tell what the modifications have meant for his sound?

[quote name="Anjel"]

L

-OF

LAVA

-----E

[/quote]

Silly me :redneck:

So Trey's also, next to his videogames, inspired by his lavalamp, in combination with some substances ofcourse :thingy:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="Maze"]
[quote name="uni777"]
[quote name="Maze"]

Image[/quote]

Eh.. no :redneck: There is a black and green knob there and a black toggle tip. Originally it was all green.[/quote]

Nerd-eye sets in :grin:[/quote]

yeah I was gonna say this :redneck: uni777 and me both own that guitar.
VARG

Post by VARG »

[quote name="Anjel"]Woah, I've never seen that picture. :interessant:[/quote]

That picture of Eric is from the recording sessions of Gateways. there are actually more pics of those sessions with Trey, Pete, and Steve.

I'm gonna browse em' up.
Anjel
Ancient One

Post by Anjel »

Yeah, I figured it was from Gateways season since the looks of the guitar.

That would be awesome.
VARG

Post by VARG »

[quote name="Anjel"]Yeah, I figured it was from Gateways season since the looks of the guitar.

That would be awesome.[/quote]

Here are some pics of the recording of Gateways:
<!-- ia2 -->4B[1].jpg<!-- ia2 -->
<!-- ia1 -->[attachment=2]4B[1].jpg<!-- ia1 -->
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Nice to see those pics again! Trey really looks like he could use some food..

What happened to his flying V's btw?
VARG

Post by VARG »

[quote name="Mutilator"]Nice to see those pics again! Trey really looks like he could use some food..

What happened to his flying V's btw?[/quote]

Flying V's, 7 stringers, instaGIB, his new Deans, I bet they're all at home in his recording room, and they must be around 15 guitars at least!

Also Trey has had instaGIB for as long as I can remember. so I don´t think he got rid of his flying V's.
painfulloss
Neophyte

Post by painfulloss »

Slightly off topic...

Trey NEVER gets recognized for bringing the 7 string to Heavy music. Sure, Vai brought it to the Rock world in 1990 with Passion and Warfare, but he wasn't playing heavy-duty riffs on that sucker. Korn's first album didn't come out until 1994. Covenant came out in 1993. IMO, Trey was the originator of playing heavy riffs on a 7 string in a Metal context; no one else was doing that, at least not on an album.

There was a guitar mag I bought back in 1992-ish where Trey talked about his love for EVH, doing acid with a cousin/Uncle & how he bought a 7 and was going to use it on the then, unnamed new MA CD. When I bought Covenant the day it came out (on tape, haha) & heard World of Shit, there was the 7 that he'd been talking about. It took the music to new (lower) levels, and, to my ears, it sounded so different compared to a detuned 6, ie: Carcass/Entombed/Dismember. That opening riff of WOS is still one of the sickest ever recorded; I clearly remember walking home from the mall, listening to it on my Walkman & being blown away.

Gotta get me one of those 7's someday and see what I come up with.
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

I thought Korn 'pioneered' the use of 7-string guitars for this generation. :redneck:
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

That interview where he talks about his 7string was published after the release of Covenant . I must still have the issue somewhere :huh: There was indeed a interview before that, but there he only talks about his V, van halen etc. (just read that one)

In the interview you are takling about he also elaborates on his solo's, tone etc. It had a pic of him wearing ninja pants with a gun in between his belt and he was holding his Charvel explorer. (I have a blow-up of that pic on my wall for about 17 years now)

Trey was indeed one of the pioneers though. But i do know that John Ortega from Matricide (=the hard-on bearer who played bass for MA in the early days) was posing for pics with a Black/Green uni well before Covenant's release. I've always wondered if Tr3y bought it from him...

[quote name="painfulloss"]Slightly off topic...

Trey NEVER gets recognized for bringing the 7 string to Heavy music. Sure, Vai brought it to the Rock world in 1990 with Passion and Warfare, but he wasn't playing heavy-duty riffs on that sucker. Korn's first album didn't come out until 1994. Covenant came out in 1993. IMO, Trey was the originator of playing heavy riffs on a 7 string in a Metal context; no one else was doing that, at least not on an album.

There was a guitar mag I bought back in 1992-ish where Trey talked about his love for EVH, doing acid with a cousin/Uncle & how he bought a 7 and was going to use it on the then, unnamed new MA CD. When I bought Covenant the day it came out (on tape, haha) & heard World of Shit, there was the 7 that he'd been talking about. It took the music to new (lower) levels, and, to my ears, it sounded so different compared to a detuned 6, ie: Carcass/Entombed/Dismember. That opening riff of WOS is still one of the sickest ever recorded; I clearly remember walking home from the mall, listening to it on my Walkman & being blown away.

Gotta get me one of those 7's someday and see what I come up with.[/quote]
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Big chance he bought it from Ortega; he also bought Mike Davis' yellow guitar when he sold it on Ebay.

Except from that custom striped one, I think he prefers 2nd hand guitars since they're well played-in already.
Ancient One

[quote name="Void"]
[quote name="Maze"]
[quote name="uni777"]
[quote name="Maze"]

Image[/quote]

Nerd-eye sets in :grin:[/quote]

yeah I was gonna say this :redneck: uni777 and me both own that guitar.[/quote]

Cool, the green dot or the ´97 model? I recently found a RG7620, also a GREAT guitar. Gonna pick it up this friday.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

By now i have a couple of 7's. My first was a UV7BK it's a 1990 one which i bought at the end of '93. (indeed the black/green one)
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Mutilator"]Big chance he bought it from Ortega; he also bought Mike Davis' yellow guitar when he sold it on Ebay.

Except from that custom striped one, I think he prefers 2nd hand guitars since they're well played-in already.[/quote]

Almost right :grin:

He bought the Warrior directly from Davies. And Tr3y had it sold on ebay.

Second hand or new isn't that much of an issue but he prefers bolt-ons nowadays according to his statements in interviews.

Not every old guitar is well played in.. some are abused and do not feel good. So it is really up to having luck finding a nice one.

In regard to you question about his customising: Those added switches are for coil tapping, out of phase switching and what not. Simply stated it is a different way to route the signal through the pickups for variations in sound. If you know what to listen for you can hear it in his lead tones. But it is hard to explain/comprehend if you do not play guitar yourself because you have no reference point.: you do not recognise the difference between single coils and humbuckers.

A nice article: <!-- m -->http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/<!-- m -->
painfulloss
Neophyte

Post by painfulloss »

[quote name="uni777"]That interview where he talks about his 7string was published after the release of Covenant . I must still have the issue somewhere :huh: There was indeed a interview before that, but there he only talks about his V, van halen etc. (just read that one)

In the interview you are takling about he also elaborates on his solo's, tone etc. It had a pic of him wearing ninja pants with a gun in between his belt and he was holding his Charvel explorer. (I have a blow-up of that pic on my wall for about 17 years now)

Trey was indeed one of the pioneers though. But i do know that John Ortega from Matricide (=the hard-on bearer who played bass for MA in the early days) was posing for pics with a Black/Green uni well before Covenant's release. I've always wondered if Tr3y bought it from him...

[/quote]

Ahhhh, thank you for the correction on the time of the interview. I knew about Ortega with the Uni, but Matricide never released an album, not that I'm aware of at least; thought it was just a couple of demos. Trey very well could have played John's guitar or heard about the 7 and explored it for himself. It's been sooo long since I read that interview with Trey. It's in a stack of guitar mags out in my barn. If I ever meet Trey, it's something I've always wanted to ask him about: how he got into the 7 and why he didn't go the detuned 6 route like everyone else.

Thanks for the info, uni777.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

No prob dude. That period was my DIE-hard MA collectors time. I bought everything i could get my hands on. And i know it's sick but i can almost dream al those interviews.. :grin:

If I understand him correctly, the reason for not detuning any further than Eb is the string tension going too flubbery. At least that is what he said in the first interview i spoke about. And to me also, a 7string with a thicker low b string, feels different from a regular 6st tuned low with the same gauge. Why i don't know... A 7st just feels right to me.
painfulloss
Neophyte

Post by painfulloss »

I hear you, Bro. Back in the early 90's, it was really difficult finding guitar-orientated interviews with MA. Those precious few guitar mags that had interviews with him, I must have read & re-read them 100 times. I remember one that had an interview with Partlow & after hearing Trey used a Rat distortion pedal, I bought one a week later, haha. Before BATS came out, Earache released a cassette sampler and it had the title track on there...oh man did I wear that tape out!
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="painfulloss"]I hear you, Bro. Back in the early 90's, it was really difficult finding guitar-orientated interviews with MA. Those precious few guitar mags that had interviews with him, I must have read & re-read them 100 times. I remember one that had an interview with Partlow & after hearing Trey used a Rat distortion pedal, I bought one a week later, haha. Before BATS came out, Earache released a cassette sampler and it had the title track on there...oh man did I wear that tape out![/quote]

hehehe i know those tapes. Earache made a lot of those. somebody i know has one from the domination era with Dawn of the angry on it.

I already had that RAT but couldn't get a decent sound out of it until i read that Partlow interview.
Ancient One

This thread is azm.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

:huh:
Ancient One

[quote name="uni777"]:huh:[/quote]

I find it interesting :idea:
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

Ohh, OK sorry.. :santa:
Ancient One

[quote name="uni777"]had a pic of him wearing ninja pants with a gun in between his belt and he was holding his Charvel explorer. (I have a blow-up of that pic on my wall for about 17 years now)[/quote]

Could you please scan that pic? Would love to see it!
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

Post by RitesOfPossession »

[quote name="uni777"]

I already had that RAT but couldn't get a decent sound out of it until i read that Partlow interview.[/quote]

I was actually thinking about getting a RAT pedal recently. What is the closest modern equivalent to the one Trey uses?
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

all i know is that treys rat is a rack-mount effect, not a pedal. but erik used a rat pedal me thinks :huh:
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="DarkSurgeon"]
[quote name="uni777"]

I already had that RAT but couldn't get a decent sound out of it until i read that Partlow interview.[/quote]

I was actually thinking about getting a RAT pedal recently. What is the closest modern equivalent to the one Trey uses?[/quote]

There have been a lot of RAT variations. Trey uses the rack version. Which is basicly two times the RAT stompbox. The RAT 2 pedal is the closes this is a smaller more compact enclosure compared to a vintage sized RAT.The only problem is that they changed the components over time. The new ones do not sound like they used to. Since they recently relocated fabrication to China (i believe) they are more harsh in sound and do not compare to the old ones.

Try to find one with the LM308 IC inside.

The RAT is not a high gain distortion. It works best with an already overdriven amp. Ad a little distortion, max out the level as in a cleanboost then adjust the filter knob.
Ancient One

[quote name="Maze"]
[quote name="uni777"]had a pic of him wearing ninja pants with a gun in between his belt and he was holding his Charvel explorer. (I have a blow-up of that pic on my wall for about 17 years now)[/quote]

Could you please scan that pic? Would love to see it![/quote]