this guitar

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

this guitar

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

Is this officially his signature guitar or what? Is it made by Ibanez? Has anyone seen him use it?
M.Bison
Ancient One

Re: this guitar

Post by M.Bison »

[quote name="Skintoxication"]no. ikon customs just likes to make really ugly guitars. Tr3y was most likely just the inspiration for that.[/quote]
Haunty
Metal God

Post by Haunty »

Since it's based off a universe, it's a lot less fugly/fagly than most of the other guitars they make. See my post in the ugly guitar thread in the musicians' section.

Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I would kill people for a Universe like Trey plays/ed
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

correction: looks like a slimey burn-victim :bang:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:puke:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

Hello.

I'm actually the owner of this guitar. It's somewhat of an anomaly for Ikon, since they usually make custom guitars.

Basically this is a UV7BK (the green dot one, obviously), same model used in the God of Emptiness and Where the Slime Live videos. I got it signed by Trey sometime on the Formulas tour, I believe when they were out with Nile and Diabolic.

I wanted to do a Trey tribute guitar, as he has always been a great inspiration to me as a composer and player. So I asked Marc (Ikon owner) to do a sculpt for me. What I mean by "a sculpt" is that this is not from scratch--we stripped the paint off of the body, and he then carved into it.

I told him that I wanted him to work in the blasphagram, the demonic faces from the Altars cover art, the Buer demon from the Blessed booklet, Bil Ursag, and other randomness. He did all of these things; the Buer thing isn't so obvious as he just ended up throwing one of the hooved legs in there (it's near the bass side of the bridge and middle pickups). But he did add some of the face of Satan and one of his tentacles (see the bass-side horn), which I liked. The Bil Ursag (as depicted on the Formulas cover, painted by my fellating lover Nizin/Nissim Lopez) appears near the tone knob. I was happy with the face under the pickguard, as well.

It's just the body that was carved up, btw. Marc likes to carve up the headstocks (or at least he did before he started making guitars from the ground up), but I kept it untouched. The pickguard is also not the original, as I thought the original black pickguard with green border was unique. I order another pickguard for this project and still have the original.

All that said...I hate this photo. It makes it look like a mostly green guitar, which it is not. Basically he sculpted this thing with a dremel tool, and a lot of the "deeper" areas he put some green highlights in. But for the most part, it is black, with gun-metal colored accents here and there. The green background and green pickups don't help (I have since replaced the pickups with EMG 81-7 and 707) with the overall green impression. If you saw it in person, you'd think of it as a black guitar with green accents, not the other way around.

Anyway, I love this guitar. I don't play it much any more as I have switched to 8-strings, but it is my favorite overall. Always played and sounded great and I love looking at it. At one of the gigs in (I think) 2005 (tour with Krisiun and I forget who else), Trey and Tony Norman both checked it out and really dug it. We took some pictures of Trey and Tony with this guitar, which I can post if anyone is curious.

But no...there's no official endorsement or association with the band. I'm just a huge fan who wanted to render tribute. This UV7BK was my first 7-string, always my favorite (even though my UV777BK with the AANJ design is nicer for soloing), so I thought it was a fitting "offering."

<!-- m -->http://www.hypgnostic.com<!-- m -->
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

awesome info, slimegod - really cool of you to drop in and share it with us :bang:

and I think a speak for all of us when I say I'd like to see those pics of Trey and Tony :bang:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

Cool, I will post the pics.

Believe it or not, I just discovered this forum in the last few days. It fucking rules. The weird "manwhore" substitution thing really threw me off at first (I think I first encountered it in a thread about the rare "Tree of Manwhore" shirt...which I regret not buying when I had the chance). Although my big disappointment among the stuff that I've found here is that the infamous Tales from the Pit video seems to have disappeared, along with the rest of livevideo.com. I did not know of this interview and now I'm really curious to see it.

Other cool thing on this forum...first time ever that I saw a pic of one of the Slime Packs. Legendary.

zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="slimegod"]The weird "manwhore" substitution thing really threw me off at first [/quote]

there are some silly/stupid word c.ensors put in by the mods for cheap laughs
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
captain twat. IV.
Ancient One

Post by captain twat. IV. »

Nevermind.Forgot the word.
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

As requested...pics taken 5/1/2006 in Houston, TX. Tour was Morbid Angel, Behemoth, Krisiun, Despised Icon.

Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

Woah! Thanks man!
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:xx:
;,,;
Hugo.
Metal God

Post by Hugo. »

[quote name="desolation"]:xx:[/quote]