Trey Azagthoth Interview (Trey's Backyard)

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Jackson

Trey Azagthoth Interview (Trey's Backyard)

Post by Jackson »

[youtube]bGRXVhSIQi4[/youtube]

Awwesome interview!
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Re: Trey Azagthoth Interview (Trey's Backyard)

Post by bob_here »

That was awesome, and it's interesting to finally hear him say and confer what I always kind of felt was happening as far as how david was steering things in those times... hope there's more to be posted.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

awesome.. :xx:

never seen that shirt before :interessant:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

Nice find...

I've read all about him and David in his interviews during the promo period around 66tt6's release so there is nothing new here.

I am still puzzeled/curious how all he said there applies to the reunited Morbid angel. I mean, we've all seen the development in Trey's theories which have moved away from altars a lot. But David - to me at least - has gone off in a totally different direction.

I wonder where they found common ground and what platform they move on now concerning the spiritual concept.

It might sound disrespectfull THOUGH THIS IS NOT INTENDED.. I LOVE THIS BAND, but somehow along the last tours it looked like they were a coverband.. Morbid Angel doing Morbid Angel. If you understand what i mean. Thor's stage presence, Davids way of announcing it just seem to miss the spiritual radience which it had in the past...

On a side note: I've always wondered if the picture on the back Of Entagled was on purpose: The black security guard Highlighted in front of david. :redneck:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

fucking awesome!!!!!! VIVA was so cool back in the day. :xx:
Godsdefeat

Post by Godsdefeat »

That's a great find, thanks very much!

@ Uni, Pete told me last year even he was getting tired of playing the 'golden oldies' set and he wanted to play new songs. As for Dave; I agree, he obviously is happy to be the frontman again but his announcements are very different than a few years back ("this is a song about the color of my heart, this is sworn to the black <-> "..none of this I fucked your gf blabla...let's fuck some shit up...etc..." or whatever he says these days
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

AWESOME! Thanks!

I'm gonna watch this over and over again.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

great find again man, thanks heaps for posting
more metal
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

[quote name="uni777"]Nice find...

I've read all about him and David in his interviews during the promo period around 66tt6's release so there is nothing new here.

I am still puzzeled/curious how all he said there applies to the reunited Morbid angel. I mean, we've all seen the development in Trey's theories which have moved away from altars a lot. But David - to me at least - has gone off in a totally different direction.

I wonder where they found common ground and what platform they move on now concerning the spiritual concept.

It might sound disrespectfull THOUGH THIS IS NOT INTENDED.. I LOVE THIS BAND, but somehow along the last tours it looked like they were a coverband.. Morbid Angel doing Morbid Angel. If you understand what i mean. Thor's stage presence, Davids way of announcing it just seem to miss the spiritual radience which it had in the past...

On a side note: I've always wondered if the picture on the back Of Entagled was on purpose: The black security guard Highlighted in front of david. :redneck:[/quote]

I agree with all of it, to me Trey has been true to the vision from day one all the way through...

although I still maintain vincent wasn't necessarily racist but elitist; caste driven mentality; that some men are to be slaves and some masters. Oh well, WAT-EVA lol
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]although I still maintain vincent wasn't necessarily racist but elitist; caste driven mentality; that some men are to be slaves and some masters. Oh well, WAT-EVA lol[/quote]

I agree, but that is something that gets mixed up or at least gets linked with facism or racism very easily. Especially if you are looking for it, If you want to point the finger, dig deep enough you are bound to find something you can use agains someone. And David was cocky enough to go head on in the arguments.

Whereas Trey submerged himself in occultism/spirituality, David (to me) looked at occultism in a philosophycal way. With interest in Nietsche (Ubermensch and Untermensch). And the (Sexual) Magick of Crowley, and in that light the Genitortures trip is not that surprising to me.

Heightened senses overwhelmed
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

[quote name="uni777"]
[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]although I still maintain vincent wasn't necessarily racist but elitist; caste driven mentality; that some men are to be slaves and some masters. Oh well, WAT-EVA lol[/quote]

I agree, but that is something that gets mixed up or at least gets linked with facism or racism very easily. Especially if you are looking for it, If you want to point the finger, dig deep enough you are bound to find something you can use agains someone. And David was cocky enough to go head on in the arguments.

Whereas Trey submerged himself in occultism/spirituality, David (to me) looked at occultism in a philosophycal way. With interest in Nietsche (Ubermensch and Untermensch). And the (Sexual) Magick of Crowley, and in that light the Genitortures trip is not that surprising to me.

Heightened senses overwhelmed[/quote]

We are on the same page... especially the nietzsche and "classes" of men. In that other thread, "where the slime..." thread I was hitting on these points exactly. I have no doubt, the 2 guys sort of started in the same place of rebellion and against suppression, and the occult along with the "spiritual" aspect of it ushered both of them into a new sphere of thinking. Where Trey embraced it literally more so, it seems vincent actualized it as more of a means to sensuality and physicality. Without arguing which is "better", the plain fact is that, that was "The Schism" that finally manifested itself clearer in '95. The natural progression as you mentioned was genitorturers. And just to add to the occultish tinge of that other thread with my album release and numerlogy posts, it's no coincidence that 1995 was the year of the Pig: the mortal enemy of the snake. Guess what both Vincent and Trey are :-)
Anjel
Ancient One

Post by Anjel »

This was very :interessant:
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]
[quote name="uni777"]

Heightened senses overwhelmed[/quote]

We are on the same page... especially the nietzsche and "classes" of men. In that other thread, "where the slime..." thread I was hitting on these points exactly. I have no doubt, the 2 guys sort of started in the same place of rebellion and against suppression, and the occult along with the "spiritual" aspect of it ushered both of them into a new sphere of thinking. Where Trey embraced it literally more so, it seems vincent actualized it as more of a means to sensuality and physicality. Without arguing which is "better", the plain fact is that, that was "The Schism" that finally manifested itself clearer in '95. The natural progression as you mentioned was genitorturers. And just to add to the occultish tinge of that other thread with my album release and numerlogy posts, it's no coincidence that 1995 was the year of the Pig: the mortal enemy of the snake. Guess what both Vincent and Trey are :-)[/quote]

Exactly. Davids interpertation/way of thinking was present on Blessed already. Just look at the video for the titletrack. On Covenant you have Pain Divine, which could just as easily be a concept used on a Genitorturers song. Which goes all the way to Ceasars Palace on Domination.

Thus the ideas of physycal/sexual liberation and physical force/power over lower classes started to become more dominant in the lyrics and started clashing with Trey's ideas of Spiritual liberation/development.

I'm really eager to see where the new material sits in between these ideas..
Love of Lava
God of Emptiness

Post by Love of Lava »

nice vid and nice debate... hm i guess trey got more adult and more tolerant or something ..otherwise there would be still more formulas kinda vibes around ...vincent nowdays to me is just m3h .. he's a nice hard-on bearer but his return wasn't really an improvement to the band imo

the covering thing is a good point ..and what about trey's sound it seems like he doesn't care anymore like back in the days

where are all the cool effects ? when he's soloing theres toooo much feedback, such a thing rarely happen back then except the soundman fucked it up...

fortunately the lava still flows ! :loveoflava:
love of lava.
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

[quote name="uni777"]Nice find...

On a side note: I've always wondered if the picture on the back Of Entagled was on purpose: The black security guard Highlighted in front of david. :redneck:[/quote]

They're quite old now, in their forties. With age, people mellow out. Youth is full of energy and power.
captain twat. IV.
Ancient One

Post by captain twat. IV. »

[quote name="uni777"]

although I still maintain vincent wasn't necessarily racist but elitist;[/quote][/quote]

It will probly sound rude but he isn't so elite himself.Cool interveiw anyway.
Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name="uni777"]

I wonder where they found common ground

[/quote]

$$$ + fame, sadly. :necro:

I am eager to hear new MA album, no doubt, but Nevermore was nothing special, plain death metal song to me, and David's stage presence is lame, I mean really, really lame. A far cry from the old Morbid Angel feel. To me, it all looks so simple, that they are doing it for the cash and fame ( meaning that there are no strong creative and artistic intentions anymore), but I do hope I am terribly wrong on that.
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Nice interview, obviously he changed his mind lateron concerning digital/compressed sounding music.

I like the improvisation in where Trey gets his inspiration from: the pictures of FFttF are obviously shot behind his old house there, as were the recording of the crickets intro on Gateways.

@Zim: He wears the Angel of disease shirt: Lillith flashing her tits. I've posted it in the shirts topic.

I'm convinced that the black man in front of Dave on Entangled is too obvious to be a coincidence.

Of course I also mean no disrespect in any way since this band is one of my absolute favorites, but this I know/read:

Lemmy from Motorhead once stated that Dave got in his dressing room with some nazi stuff, but Lemmy made him clear about the difference between being interested and worshipping WW2 ideology books and threw him out (from some old Aardschok interview).

Back in the day there were even rumours going around where Trey and Dave had sex with each other; lateron Dave goes into S&M act Genitortures exploiting his full S&M bi-sexuality while Trey names his new album Formulas fatal to the flesh, kinda ironic.

I wonder if Trey's Greek blood is related to his philosophical nature haha

An inside source told me that Dave coming back actually saved the band from becoming inactive. Trey was out of his mind on drugs most of the time, influenced by his 25-year old GF doing hardcore music. (Luckely she's gone) Pete's been doing lots of drugs also to live with the backpain and probably would've done more Terrorizer instead. That's why it took so long for them to begin working on this new record.

Being in their 40th's, risk is that the creativity/music mellows up. I hope Trey somehow goes back to his philosophy that playing needs to hurt, working through the pain is the best way to play. That would be a nice basis to some over-the-top music. Sadly though I've understand that they also know that the best time is behind them. It would be a great achievement if the new record prolongues the level they've achieved already.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="mabb_"]
[quote name="uni777"]

although I still maintain vincent wasn't necessarily racist but elitist;[/quote][/quote]

It will probly sound rude but he isn't so elite himself.Cool interveiw anyway.[/quote]

That quote isn't mine. Although i do believe that's what his way of thinking was.

Very darwin like. the survival of the fittest...
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Uros"]
[quote name="uni777"]

I wonder where they found common ground

[/quote]

$$$ + fame, sadly. :necro:

I am eager to hear new MA album, no doubt, but Nevermore was nothing special, plain death metal song to me, and David's stage presence is lame, I mean really, really lame. A far cry from the old Morbid Angel feel. To me, it all looks so simple, that they are doing it for the cash and fame ( meaning that there are no strong creative and artistic intentions anymore), but I do hope I am terribly wrong on that.[/quote]

Well that is what i ment with the whole Coverband thing. It is cool you can earn a living with doing what you love to do. But do they still have that love/fire in them. Or has it just become a way of living i.e. a regular job. I share a lot of your sentiments but i really hope there is still something beautifull coming our way. David did have some good arranging abilities (as affirmed by Rutan also) and i feel Heretic could have been better with some 3th party input. So although i am pretty pessimistic by nature i''l say the glass is half full this time...

@ Ironman:

I do not get the feel;ing Trey hasmellowed out. On the contrary (sp?) he has created this world around him in which reaching him has become pretty difficult for the commoner. The man has a totally different way of going about things than 99% of the people. If anything i feel he has gotten more extreme. Not in a "Evil Satanic" kind of way, but with moving around in his own continium.

The hard-on bearer is full of amazing idea's he just need a stable platform/medium/band to get it out there. All the line-up changes and stuff have taken their toll as it seems.

The 66tt6 "comeback" showed a MA back on track. I hope "I" will do the same.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Mutilator"]the pictures of FFttF are obviously shot behind his old house there, as were the recording of the crickets intro on Gateways. [/quote]

Well duh.. he told that in every interview.. That's where the never relased first version of the Where slime live clip was shot also.

And the mirror image on the back of 66tt6 is also a pic from that swamp. He spoke about it (the swamp) in interviews during the covenant days already.

And do you think he nicknamed Summoning redemption "The frog song" if it were Crickets? Those are frogs :redneck:
Ancient One

He is probably alot into drugs aswell.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

drugs :frown:
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
captain twat. IV.
Ancient One

Post by captain twat. IV. »

Have a go zim.You know you wanna.

Seriously though good times.
anubis211
Neophyte

Post by anubis211 »

Meh.... he ain't on drugs ...he just smokes marijuana sometimes..... Vincent said it......
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

My inside source told me that Trey is still into LSD. Maybe he is off it now for the record.

[quote name="uni777"]
[quote name="Mutilator"]the pictures of FFttF are obviously shot behind his old house there, as were the recording of the crickets intro on Gateways. [/quote]

Well duh.. he told that in every interview.. That's where the never relased first version of the Where slime live clip was shot also.

And the mirror image on the back of 66tt6 is also a pic from that swamp. He spoke about it (the swamp) in interviews during the covenant days already.

And do you think he nicknamed Summoning redemption "The frog song" if it were Crickets? Those are frogs :redneck:[/quote]

I was just pointing out that his creativity isn't always far-fetched but also closeby in common stuff others might overlook. Like lava and that lavalamp; he tries to uplift the mundane.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

This is easily my favorite thread of the last couple months.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

cool find. is there anymore to this interview?
rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
Ancient One

[quote name="Mutilator"]Back in the day there were even rumours going around where Trey and Dave had sex with each other.[/quote]

Haha, what? That's crazy. From where did you hear it?
Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name="zimberly"]drugs :frown:[/quote]

[quote name="anubis211"]Meh.... he ain't on drugs ...he just smokes marijuana sometimes..... Vincent said it......[/quote]

Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

[quote name="Maze"]
[quote name="Mutilator"]Back in the day there were even rumours going around where Trey and Dave had sex with each other.[/quote]

Haha, what? That's crazy. From where did you hear it?[/quote]

Sorry, I can't recall just like that. Probably some Mike Browning interview.
xpocalypse

Post by xpocalypse »

[quote name="desolation"]This is easily my favorite thread of the last couple months.[/quote]
http://www.lastfm.pl/user/TorturePainKill

"Kill. Kill them all. Pigs written in blood on the walls..."
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

Post by RitesOfPossession »

Before watching this I couldn't really identify fully with the satanic aspect of the band but this interview really helped me to understand Trey's perspective on satanism. I've always known it was about thinking for yourself and the power of the individual but I now see how easily parallels could be drawn between what he says and some more extreme left-wing philosophy - which has a bit more of a bearing on "the real worlld".
Ancient One

[quote name="DarkSurgeon"]Before watching this I couldn't really identify fully with the satanic aspect of the band but this interview really helped me to understand Trey's perspective on satanism. I've always known it was about thinking for yourself and the power of the individual but I now see how easily parallels could be drawn between what he says and some more extreme left-wing philosophy - which has a bit more of a bearing on "the real worlld".[/quote]

Trey mellowed out with his views on satanism after blessed or covenant. He was probably much more extreme back in the days.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Maze"]
[quote name="DarkSurgeon"]Before watching this I couldn't really identify fully with the satanic aspect of the band but this interview really helped me to understand Trey's perspective on satanism. I've always known it was about thinking for yourself and the power of the individual but I now see how easily parallels could be drawn between what he says and some more extreme left-wing philosophy - which has a bit more of a bearing on "the real worlld".[/quote]

Trey mellowed out with his views on satanism after blessed or covenant. He was probably much more extreme back in the days.[/quote]

Not really. He just did not do that much interviews and stayed quite mysterious as david was the spokes person 9 out of ten times. Back in the days he was heavily into his interpetation of the ancients ones concept from the necronomicon. He never expressed thoughts or feelings about satanism in the typical Blackmetal way if you get my meaning.
Ancient One

[quote name="uni777"]
[quote name="Maze"]

Trey mellowed out with his views on satanism after blessed or covenant. He was probably much more extreme back in the days.[/quote]

Not really. He just did not do that much interviews and stayed quite mysterious as david was the spokes person 9 out of ten times. Back in the days he was heavily into his interpetation of the ancients ones concept from the necronomicon. He never expressed thoughts or feelings about satanism in the typical Blackmetal way if you get my meaning.[/quote]

Yeah of course. No, not really in the black metal way. But listen to this interview from ´98. He certainly went through some changes through the years between 87 and 98.

<!-- m -->http://angemorbide.free.fr/mp3/trey5.mpga<!-- m -->

(You've probably already heard it, but still..)
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

[quote name="Mutilator"]

Back in the day there were even rumours going around where Trey and Dave had sex with each other[/quote]

I found this link on Nocturnus' Last.FM page, you may find it interesting... or not.

<!-- m -->http://rateyourmusic.com/review?id=22796514<!-- m -->
Love of Lava
God of Emptiness

Post by Love of Lava »

[quote name="DarkSurgeon"]
[quote name="Mutilator"]

Back in the day there were even rumours going around where Trey and Dave had sex with each other[/quote]

I found this link on Nocturnus' Last.FM page, you may find it interesting... or not.

<!-- m -->http://rateyourmusic.com/review?id=22796514<!-- m -->[/quote]

what the :frown:
love of lava.
Anjel
Ancient One

Post by Anjel »

:oldryan: :lol:
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

[quote name="Anjel"]:oldryan: :lol:[/quote]
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

Ancient One

what a load of BOLLOCKS
MorbidAngela
Mature Neophyte

Post by MorbidAngela »

Very nice find. Great interview.... :bang:

[quote name="DarkSurgeon"]

<!-- m -->http://rateyourmusic.com/review?id=22796514<!-- m -->[/quote]

holy shit..

There needs to be an explosion smiley! I would put that if there was one...
[quote name="I"]"energy swirls dancing atop the asteroid fields of galaxy magic."[/quote]

"i dig your win sauce ... i'm sure it's excellent on toast"
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

Yeah... some people have way too much time.
LAVAGOD
God of Emptiness

Post by LAVAGOD »

i know its a old thread but im curious to know what drugs pete and trey were doing
LAVA!!!
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="LAVAGOD"]i know its a old thread but im curious to know what drugs pete and trey were doing[/quote]

trey has been known for taking acid(?)

pete i'm guessing cocaine
^_____________^
Ancient One
Location: I'm Going To Pull Your Endocrine System Out Of Your Body

Post by ^_____________^ »

This is probably my favorite Trey interview. :judge:
Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name="LAVAGOD"]i know its a old thread but im curious to know what drugs pete and trey were doing[/quote]

the real question should be 'what drugs they haven't used?'
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="zim"]

trey has been known for taking acid(?)

pete i'm guessing cocaine[/quote]

it's been lost for years but i know my fellating lover definitely got a shot of pete on the bus after he'd been snorting something, there was a fairly noticeable leftover white residue in the nose :redneck:
LAVAGOD
God of Emptiness

Post by LAVAGOD »

I know acid really doesn't have any effect on the person in appearance but i know it wouldn't make trey as skinny as he is (was)?

pete"s always been a twig too. did trey take anything else? weed and LSD i know but what was up with im and hil 25 yr old gf? i never really read up on what happened
LAVA!!!